Author Topic: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 10:56:00 PM »
Ginger.  Who died and made you the ALL KNOWING? Aren't you the Oprah of this site?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
I think that Antigen/Eudora/Ginger is spectacularly jealous of Oprah.

In Antigen (etc's mind) it's like "Oh I'm just as smart, insightful as Oprah, I have this board, I have these people who for whatever reason are allied with me. So why do the vast majority of people in this country know who Oprah is, and the vast majority of people don't know a thing about me?"

Not to mention that "Anti/Eu/Gin" seems to be constantly posting what she thinks she knows about books: face it, she really thinks that she could be a much better Oprah than Oprah.  

The problem is that nobody outside of this cyber-den appears to agree.

But she'll hit a maximum no. of posts anytime soon. Maybe within this little tiny crevice of the world it's going to salve her wounded ego.

And we won't have to hear her saying bitchy things about people like Oprah who have done better than she has.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 08:52:00 PM »
I'm glad you said that anon.  I've always been real conflicted about this site.  Some of the things said resonate.

Other times it's about the participant's ego, sense of inferiority in the world.
The moderator included.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 10:01:00 PM »
Oprah's a lot of archetype of the culture: trying to be real feeling while being shwerd and self-serving.

So what is Antigen et al?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 02:15:00 AM »
I think if Oprah wants to put her money where her mouth is w/ that apology for getting punked, she could do worse than to read Maia Szalavitz book, Help At Any Cost and consider recomending it to her audience.

She won't, though. I don't think she'd understand it even if she did read it. And her audience certainly wouldn't.

The public schools are...designed around the assumption that all of the participants are irresponsible and incompetent...The result is the creation of an organization which is incapable of change. Every member of the organization is concerned with keeping his superior happy.
--Christopher Jencks, Harvard

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 10:59:00 AM »
On 2006-01-29 19:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Oprah's a lot of archetype of the culture: trying to be real feeling while being shwerd and self-serving.

So what is Antigen et al?"

How does any of this serve me personally? And why do you troll around here anonymously, picking fights, insulting and degrading strangers and generally acting like a sanctimonious asshole? What, you just get your jollies picking on traumatized kids?

When a man you like switches from what he said a year ago, or four years ago, he is a broad-minded person who has courage enough to change his mind with changing conditions. When a man you don't like does it, he is a liar who has broken his promise.
-- FRANKLIN P.ADAMS (1861-1960).

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline The Alterboy

• View Profile
    • http://Fornits.com/SIBS/
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
Well, according to the great prophet, Emmet Fox, you all have your awareness up your asses! I want you to get back in touch with the basics and your awareness. I think you should get a copy of

The Sermon on the Mount and read it till you get some awareness!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 07:46:00 PM »
Most of the time, I think people are more obsessed with story over facts. Politics is a perfect example. The war, too.

Other times, I think we are so obsessed with facts that we forget the story. I really don't give a shit that the high arcs of Frey's stories are embellished. In fact. Those parts didn't interest me anyway. I don't care that he changed the method of someone's suicide. It's not her real name; it doesn't besmirch her reputation or hurt anyone. I could give a fuck that he spent 2 days in jail instead of 2 months.

The reason I gravitated toward this story was for once--thank you--I can read about someone becoming sober without replacing their addiction to drugs and alcohol to their addiction to a group.  I actually just enjoyed the day to day nuances of Frey's experiences in rehab and questioning the accepted methodology.  I enjoyed that he didn't whine and bitch about his parents fucking him up, thus leading to drug abuse. That he didn't have to heroicize AA and castigate everything and everyone of his former life in order to get sober. I enjoyed the larger truth that he didn't have to trick himself to believe in God to make a change.

Also, strangely, the relationship between him and Lily was endearing. All that crap about "not getting involved" when you are getting sober has its merit; on the other hand, I think it's a time when you are most open, vulnerable, and accepting and there's beauty in that.

My brother was a heroin addict for 18 years. He kicked and fell in love at the same time.  She didn't care about everything he did to get heroin. He didn't care about everything she did to cop. But they both saw in eachother all the beauty that everyone else stopped seeing.  And 18 years later, they are still together. Maybe it's not religion, God, or AA, but it is something they can see, touch, and feel, unconditionally.

Shanlea