Author Topic: Hampton Roads VA/ Springfield VA/ Columbia MD  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Glitter Boy

• View Profile
Hampton Roads VA/ Springfield VA/ Columbia MD
« on: February 18, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »
I was in from 9/20/90 -10/23/91.  I thank God for Straight.  I hated it at the time but I have been Sober for 13+ years. I have found out about someone who was murdered that was in with me and I want to find people who were in around this time.

Hollywood aka...Glitter Boy

I was Nicknamed Glitter boy and Hollywood when I was in Straight because when I went I was told'Surprisingly "That we were going to CHECK out a treatment place"  I was left there, abandoned!!  I was wearing pennyloafer shoes, hunter green and blue plaid Polo pants that were stolen and a pink,Blue and White Polo shirt.  That was how Glitter boy came about and Hollywood as well....Shane Hatchel came up with glitter boy... :wave:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ollywood aka...Glitter Boy

Offline Scott D

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »
Welcome.....be prepared to most likely  get drilled. I graduated from Springfield in 89. I am sure you know some people that I was in with that were still there when you came in. On here, just say what you honestly feel and think. If you are happy and glad you were in there just say it(like ya sorda did)...hell, everyone else shares honestly how they feel about the place and no one is wrong with how they feel....so, I am telling you in advance that your feelings are not wrong either.

Offline Dick LaGay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »
I am glad you finally posted I didn't want you to keep lurking you are not alone. I am sober too have been since Straight I am proud, Straight helped me, it changed me and made me realize who I really was.

Glad you made it Glitter keep posting I love you.
Like Scott said people here may want to drill you but it is worth it.

Offline The Devil Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »
Glitter boy eh?
never \"try\" anything...I just do it..
Wanna try me?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »
"Glitter boy"  :rofl:

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 11:37:00 AM »
:lol:

You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it stink (any more than it already does)
-- Job

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
    • http://360.yahoo.com/cleopatra2u
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
"Glitter Boy" eh?  I can't say I remember you (I don't remember too many guys; it's hard to remember people you don't look at) but I was in Springfield at the same time you were (March 1990 to June 1991).  If you stayed until October 1991 -- well into the era where one could simply walk out of Group if s/he so desired -- then you must have either really wanted to be there or were completely brainwashed.  Either way, I'm glad you think it helped you.  I stayed "clean" (no drugs) for a couple of years after I left Straight and "sober" (no alcohol) for nearly seven years...  Today, like most twenty- to thirty-something Americans, I am a functioning drinker with a pretty decent life.  Despite my clean and sober time, or lack thereof, I still don't know whether Straight was more helpful or hurtful to me...  I guess everyone got something different out of it.  I can't help but wonder how I would've turned out if I had never went.

Anyway, sorry for rambling...  If you remember me, post back or send me a private message.  I'm interested in getting reacquainted with people I spent a big part of my teenage years with.

~ Mindi M.
he trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 05:12:00 AM »
Ok what the hell happened where people could "get up and walk out of group" ??

I left in 88 and at that time in Dallas..you would get WTPWNED (what the fuck?!?!OWNED!!)
and I do mean OWNED...by some gung ho sober psycho fucks..

Theres so many people from Straight Id just love to fucking piss on them..And I mean nasty fucking bladder infection, gohnnoreeah, pus and blood filled stinking hot piss...right in their loud abusive lying fucking mouths! :cry2:  :cry2:

OK sorry Cleo...anyways did they really get lax or what??
 I just cant imagine straight without People being 4 pointed...screaming..tackling..knuckle in the spine..face forward ...love!!
 "I am Straight, hear me roar in numbers to big to ignore, Motherfucker....I am STRAIGHT, I AM INVINCEABLE, BITCH!" "Spread my restraining arms across the laaaand"
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 05:41:00 AM »
On 2004-02-22 02:12:00, Therion wrote:

"Ok what the hell happened where people could "get up and walk out of group" ??
...did they really get lax or what??"

Basically they were forced to get "lax" by the Virginia authorities.  There had been so many claims of physical and sexual abuse at -- and pending litigation against -- the Springfield, Virginia Straight over the years that it was being watched.  I heard this in local AA meetings during one of my cop-outs/walk-outs.  I also heard that the Health Dept. was doing random drop-ins to monitor what was going on.  I was on upper phases in early '91 (before my walk-outs of course) and sometimes stood at the ends of rows; I do recall seeing unfamiliar adults in suits coming in and observing from time to time.

In early '91, we were told not to "motivate" any more; just raise our hands.  Some time around that -- it's hard to pinpoint exactly when because people didn't try for fear of getting slammed to the floor -- we could simply get up and walk out of group...  Staff would get in your way, and even go so far as to follow you down the street to try to talk you into staying, all the while saying the usual, "You know you're gonna die or relapse if you leave" B.S., but they couldn't lay a hand on you or otherwise physically stop you.

I was really court-ordered to Straight (long story), but when I kept on leaving after my parents, other host parents, or whoever brought me back, my case went back in front of a judge in my then-home-county, Charles County, Maryland, and the judge said, "Well, we can't stop you from leaving, so there is no point in trying to make you stay."  Then he asked my parents if they would let me come home; my mother said, "No," and I became a ward of the state (another long story)...  It was not easy after that, but it was better than being in Straight!

I never went to the Columbia, Maryland Straight.  I figure it was the same way there as it was in Springfield when Springfield ended, but I really don't know for sure, 'coz I wasn't there.

~ M

[ This Message was edited by: Cleopatra2U on 2004-02-22 03:05 ]

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 05:52:00 AM »
By the way, Glitter Boy, I copped out off of 3rd phase in November 1990 and lived on the streets of Baltimore for about a week...  They walked me back to group in the evening, after the requisite re-intake and strip search, wearing the clothes I came back in -- a gray Harley-Davidson sweatshirt and some tight black acid-wash jeans (gotta love that 80's fashion, ha ha).  My eyes were swelled up to about the size of plums from crying.  I forget who the rap leader was (I forget a lot of specifics about my time in Straight, and life in general for that matter) but s/he said some B.S. about, "Look at how bad Mindi feels from having RELAPSED."  Honestly I was crying so bad because I didn't get away after all.  Then the brainwashing really started and I made it all the way to 4th phase thinking I had to in order to stay off alcohol, drugs, and the streets, until I got a taste of the real world and realized that if I was going to "deal with life on life's terms" (AA saying) I needed to get the fuck out of Straight.  Oh, the irony!  I left the drug rehab for good when I decided I wanted to be sober!  LOL!

Anyway, if you don't remember my name, you may remember my tearful re-introduction into Hell -- oops, I mean Group -- after my first cop-out.  You would've been there a little over a month.

~ M

Offline Glitter Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 08:30:00 PM »
Mindi,
My name is Ross Herring and I came up from the Hampton Roads Straight.  I was over age and Dale Morehouse was my first Oldcomer.  Brit Rice was also an oldcomer of mine.  I would stand up everyday at lunch and tell jokes and I would walk like George Jefferson while yall would sing the theme song....Does this ring any bells?  I had dark hair. Let me know :tup:

He that will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave.
--William Drummond (1585-1640)

ollywood aka...Glitter Boy

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »
Hi Ross,

I read your post a couple of hours ago and have been straining my poor memory trying to picture you...  Your name, and the joke thing, seem to ring a bell, but I can't quite place you.  Were/are you tall and thin?

I don't remember Dale M....  I do remember Brit R. because I stayed at his parents' house once...  I don't think it was usually a girls' host home, but if I remember correctly, there was some kind of problem at my usual host home (which also belonged to a guy, Brian G.'s, parents) at the time.

Some of the guys I remember, I remember because I stayed at their parents' house (Brit R., Brian G., Danny R., Dan J.).  Others I remember from going to school and work with (Mark F., Freddy M.).  Others are completely random:
  • Scott P., 'coz I thought he was cute (heh)
  • Jaimin M. and John F., 'coz they both had girl relatives in the program that I knew
  • Dylan S., 'coz he seemed like such a nice kid and I always wondered what he was doing there
  • Dave L., 'coz my parents talked about him (oops on their part?)
  • Nick and Jay C., mostly 'coz they were brothers and that differentiated them from everybody else
  • Cliff P., 'coz he had an interesting story -- his parents owned a liquor store
  • Jason C., 'coz he was so tall, and could never keep his hair parted on the side (it always went to the middle)
  • Gordon ?, 'coz he was freakin' hilarious
  • Tim ?, who sat and sat and sat on 1st phase for like 3 years and finally walked out of Group on his 18th birthday
  • Jason M., who I ran into at a restaurant in Northern Virginia after we were both out of the program

Silly reasons to remember people, huh?   :roll:  There are countless more I've "met" (girls too, I'm sure) that are lost to memory, that perhaps the sight of would remind me...  Or not.

I'm sure you know some of the folks I've mentioned 'coz we were in the same place at the same time.  I'd be interested in finding out how any of them are doing now...

You mentioned that you were over age.  I guess that explains why you didn't split when you could have, from Springfield at least...  I don't know what the policies were in Columbia; I'd be interested in hearing about that, too.  Did you have to motivate there?  Could you get restrained?  Could you just up and walk out of group?  Lots of questions...

~ Mindi  

PS - I re-read what you wrote about what you were wearing when you arrived at Straight.  Sounds more like bad golf course attire than Hollywood to me.   :razz:   :lol:

PPS - I'm sorry for rambling so much but posting here is kind of therapeutic for me, and writing about Straight sometimes helps me remember things about my life that I'd thought were long forgotten.

Offline Therion

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
Hmm well its good to know the 90's kids werent getting beat up so bad like they were in the 80's late 70's...

Fuck man I remember this other kid Greg...and he and I were the Babies of Dallas straight..and he was fucking little bitty and was a misbehaver

And that poor kid just got fucking worked over..
 I have been in drunk fights as an adult and not beat the shit out of people that bad..I mean this kid took black eyes and busted lips, nose for not sitting up and facing forward..
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed

Offline Cleopatra2U

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 12:08:00 AM »
On 2004-02-22 21:02:00, Therion wrote:

" Hmm well its good to know the 90's kids werent getting beat up so bad like they were in the 80's late 70's... "

Umm...  I guess you could look at it this way and skew it as positive...  If everything I heard was true, though, it's really sad and horrifying that the reason the 90's kids weren't getting beat up so bad is because the kids from the 70's and 80's had taken it on the chin (and worse places) for us and were finally standing up to Straight in court and in other legal ways.

:idea:

Offline Triangle Choke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »
I don't know why I even looked up any of this stuff on the internet today of all days but I was at the Springfield Straight from 6/90 to 10/90.  I had never done drugs prior to my incarceration in Straight.  Of course no one believed me and after a month and a half of fucking abuse, I confessed to using drugs and worked my way up to 3rd phase so I was able to escape.  I was fortunate in that my girlfriend's parents had hired a private investigator to find out where my parents had put me.  They also paid for legal representation that enabled me to keep my parents away.  

I'm glad that you thank God for Straight but I thank God for getting me out.  I'm sure more people were hurt by that place than were ever helped.  That was not God at work there my friend!!!  If I have ever seen evil in my life I've seen it in those walls.[ This Message was edited by: Triangle Choke on 2004-07-10 15:38 ]