Author Topic: Scheff V Bock mock trial/ Bock prevailed!  (Read 4276 times)

Offline 5bitts

• View Profile
Scheff V Bock mock trial/ Bock prevailed!
« on: December 11, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
I am attending college in Florida. In my Tort class we were asked to find a tort case and retry it. I chose Scheff V Bock. I was one of the attorney's for Bock. We decided to leave out the Katrina situation and use what information we could gather to try the case. It was a really great case and Bock was found not libel for defamation against Sue Scheff. Personally I feel based on all the facts this is the correct outcome. Scheff was definitely a limited purpose public figure. Anyway, there were a lot of factors that helped us prevail; the same factors Bock would have had if she had been able to show her side.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Scheff V Bock mock trial/ Bock prevailed!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:59 PM »
Lot of folks thought Mrs. Bock got screwed in that trial. I still tend to think that if she had made her court date and everything had been kosher on both sides, she would have steam rolled Sue in court.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Scheff V Bock mock trial/ Bock prevailed!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
I am attending college in Florida. In my Tort class we were asked to find a tort case and retry it. I chose Scheff V Bock. I was one of the attorney's for Bock. We decided to leave out the Katrina situation and use what information we could gather to try the case. It was a really great case and Bock was found not libel for defamation against Sue Scheff. Personally I feel based on all the facts this is the correct outcome. Scheff was definitely a limited purpose public figure. Anyway, there were a lot of factors that helped us prevail; the same factors Bock would have had if she had been able to show her side.

I think she might have been able to win even if SS was not a limited purpose public figure (though she clearly was).  What she said, in context, was not libel per-se.  It was opinion.  "Crook" was a rhetorical outburst.  It meant SS was dishonest, not that she had committed any actual crime.  What do you think?

Did you check out Cannon v. Mathis in your research?
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)