Author Topic: Desisto School  (Read 79414 times)

Offline CARTER MARLOW

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2004, 01:15:00 AM »
I WAS THERE TOO. I'M  CARTER MARLOW. I RAN AWAY FROM THERE AND WE WERE THE ONES WHO "MADE IT" BUT I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER ME
I ALSO RECIEVED A BUTTERFLY WITHIN 9 MONTHS, THE ONLY ONE TO EVER DO THAT THERE.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-- Aristotle

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
would first like to say that I was a student at the Desisto School and you can ask me more about it if you want.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »
It once was a very good program. HOWEVER - As the late Michael DeSisto became increasingly narcasitic and more interested in "show biz" and his press agent, it all went to hell. It's really too bad - because that school did help a lot of kids at one time.
My advice - be afraid, be very afraid.
(Just look at the articles in The Berkshire Eagle for the last several years - enough said!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
The problems began the day Michael left Lake Grove School and opened Stockbridge. Any parent who believes incarceration and mind control can create a healthy personality where their own (allegedly) loving efforts failed is clearly the source of the problem. I have been gone twenty years and enjoy a wildly successful life; in spite of my time there not because of it. Save your $70k and work with your child.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Desisto School
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »
On 2004-02-28 14:50:00, Marina wrote:

""Desisto", in Portuguese, means "Give Up". How can you send you kids to a placement named like that?"

Wasn't that the founder's surname? In Itallian, Sembler means "To seem". How apropos

What is a committee?  A group of the unwilling, picked from the unfit, to do the unnecessary.    
-- Richard Harkness, The New York Times, 1960

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »
There is an MSN community of over 400 former students and staff--very vibrant. A good source for reunions and get togethers. You will need an MSN passport and go through a brief application through the sitemanger. Well worth the effort

http://groups.msn.com/DeSistoStudents

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2004, 07:30:00 PM »
As another former student, I feel that I can give some thoughts on DHS. I think that the IDEA of the school was in the right vein. a place where teens and parents could have space, time to process their lives , neutral parites to help anaylise the problems and possible addictions and a 'safe' environment away from the real world. The children are not the only ones who need the help when they become 'unmanagable' often the family as a whole needs help. A school with some educational options, therapists, other bright and frustrated people who can relate to the problems of the day and learn how to cope and control their lives and not be controlled by them sounds great and has potential for sucess. This is where the good stuff ends really.
This program should not be entered into lightly and just like the fact that the tv is not a babysitter for your children, DHS is not just a dumping ground where families eventually can have returned to them - 'fixed' teens. The program takes work - hard work but also it should be remembered that the key to any relationship is communication. You pay large amounts of money to a school - make sure you are investing it in the right place. make surprise visits, talk to your teen and take notes. some of what teens say is garbage true, but, they aren't stupid either.  the school paractices many unsafe methods that may just work but if the parents don't check in - un-announced- to keep the school in check, how can you really be informed about your child.
DHS has the right idea, the wrong 'power-minded' implementation and if more people checked up on the daily goings on - unnanounced, then perhaps the 'radical, illegal' stuff wouldn't be happening and the students and families could get on with the business of healing, learning and forging better relationships.
If as a parent you are not willing to really be there, stay away from this place because the 'brainwashing' stuff happens then since no one is there to counteract and take responsibility.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
I have heard a very credible rumor that the Stockbridge campus will close May 1, and the remaining students will be sent to the Mexican facility. Current Student count <20

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »
Check out Abundantlifeacademy.com.

Offline WillyG

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »
The school was pretty bad in the late 70's and early 80's. It became depraved and evil in the 90's and 00's. It's time it closed. Way time.
\"Force without justice is incompetent, justice without force is equally incompetent\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »
they really must have fed you the best of the lies- i know that when i was there- and i still believe it- i would have eventually killed myself just to get out of there- i have 2 kids myself now and i must say that i would never consider that place for anything other than torture.

Offline gansettgirls

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »
i finally made it in 1997 too- and i must say that i completely agree- the only thing that i am greatful for are the few friends i've been able to find and stay in contact with.

Offline gansettgirls

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
i have heard it too- i just can't imagine it not being there. it seems to me that i've been waiting for this for 10 years and now the reality of it possibly happening is a bit scary. i still have nightmares about the things that went on when i was there- and i can only imagine the fear those few kids that are getting shipped off to mexico are feeling. if you are one of those parents- save your kid before its too late!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2004, 09:59:00 AM »
I went to Desisto from '79-'83 and graduated. It was a very different school then, i.e. we could smoke like chimneys and drink at parent-child workshops. I have spoken to kids who went there in the 90's and 00's and it seems to become a hell hole where the only thing that matters is following rules(limits). Yet there are people even from my time who will swear that the school saved their life. I personally am a survivor who lands on their feet whatever the situation, I was heading somewhere when I was a teen and it  ended up being Desisto. There are better places to growup, you're only a teenager once. If you truly believed the school saved your life, maybe you never had a life in the first place.

Offline WillyG

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »
It's official the DeSisto at Stockbridge school will close in June.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0 ... 94,00.html
\"Force without justice is incompetent, justice without force is equally incompetent\"

Offline WillyG

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2004, 12:00:00 AM »
Under state pressure, DeSisto School to close

Monday, April 12, 2004 - After an extended battle with state Office of Child Care officials, the DeSisto School for emotionally troubled children has announced the its Stockbridge campus will close in June of this year.

According to Executive Director Frank McNear, nine DeSisto high school seniors will remain on the Stockbridge campus until June graduation. Between 15 and 20 of the students will finish out the semester at DeSisto's property in Mexico, said McNear, while 7 or 8 of the children have returned home.

McNear hosted a parents' meeting on Saturday to discuss options for the school, which is in the midst of its second state-ordered admissions freeze in the last year. The parents were offered a decision either to close the school or move some of the students to the school's property in Mexico. The parents voted for the Mexican option, according to McNear.

The school and state officials have been at odds for many years overf the school's unorthodox therapeutic approaches. A. Michael DeSisto, the school's founder, resisted state oversight, but in recent years he handed over management to school officials who have been attempting to meet state requirements. Admissions were frozen earlier this year after OCCS officials said the school "failed to take necessary steps to protect residents who exhibit self-injurious behavior."

Michael DeSisto died last November.