Author Topic: Desisto School  (Read 79439 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« on: January 06, 2004, 11:53:00 AM »
Has anyone heard of the Desisto school in MA?  I heard it was an unlicensed residential school calling itself a boarding school, that is now through force of licensing by the state.  I hear now that the parent groups are controlling parents and phone calls are limited, kids are kept in dorms as punishment meals in their rooms, and no activity time except for work or chore related stuff.  I have heard horror stories and am wondering if they are true because a parent is inquiring about this school.   :question:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »
That is all I am going to say, it is not a good place!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »
The only info I can add about the DeSisto school is an experience I had about 3 years ago. My dad is a diplomat and, about mid-way into my "downward spiral", the federal State Department's educational consultant was pushing hard to get me in a CEDU-type program.

Well, I'm lucky enough to have rational parents and we were doing our own independent research for an appropriate school.

During the process we came across the website for DeSisto School and we pitched it to the educational consultant. There was a moment of silence on the phone followed by "Oh no, you can't send him there." When asked why she refused to go into detail but did tell us there had been complaints of abuse, of all sorts. Also the program is apparently run by some sort of self-modeled Guru. On talking to a DeSisto representative they assured my mother they would treat my cigarette smoking "with plenty of meditation and citrus."

Very sketchy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »
I can't believe the horror stories that come out of that place it is awful, what the kids must go through.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2004, 11:28:00 PM »
As a former student of the DeSisto school I know first hand the things that go on there.  Some of them are horrible, yes, or at least they were when I was there.  However, I can't say that I would still be alive if my parents hadn't sent me there.  The best advice I can give is try other options first.  Wilderness programs, or shorter term stays at other programs work well for some teens.  DeSisto may have changed considerably since I was there, though.  I know they were licensed by the state, and I've heard mixed reports.  Keep an open mind, and always LISTEN to your teen!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
I went to desisto from 1987 to 1992...If you are a parent, there are better places to send you kid.  Big time brainwashing.  The parents, the kids, the staff.  Lots of MAJOR BS!!!  Stay away!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 09:51:00 PM »
I went to Desisto for three years when I ran away and made it- it took alot of tries- that was in 1997- I have 2 kids of my own now and strongly believe that there is no where worse for a child to go through their teens- I wouldn't send my worse enemy there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »
I worked there for quite some time.  It was a hurrendous experience and would never recommend the program to anyone.  It's brainwashing and inhumane.  Be careful... Communication with your child is far more important than producing model behavior.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
Communicate with your teenager.  Now there's a concept.  Easier said than done, of course;

The sad truth is that parents don't have time to develop honest relationships with their children, and true to form, teenagers offer just the right excuses to send them away to let others deal with it.

My prediction is that all of the disfunctional boarding schools will soon become obsolete (this includes 99% of them from what I can tell,) and they will be replaced with good old fashioned military schools.  I expect a huge resurgence of the military school, funded with tax dollars.  Brainwashing under the guise of national security.  

As soon as we get secure and comfortable in our rightous anger, the universe predictably gives us a brand new reality to master.

Offline maryellen

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »
DeSisto was not a very good place when I was there, and has apparently gotten a lot worse. A state investigator with childen's services in MA described it as "dickensian" if that gives you any indication. The nicest thing I can say is that they've never killed anyone that I know of. Although there is an abnormally high suicide rate among it's alums. There are also a large number of Lord of the Flies Stories coming out of that school. Personally, I wouldn't send my dog there.

Offline lori723

• View Profile
    • http://millerrandy@bellsouth.net
Desisto School
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »
I have been doing a lot of research, and keep reading negative things about desisto. I have a 15 year old son that need a program asap. We were going to look at the desisto program. Can you please tell me what things exactly are wrong with the program, also if you know of a better program. Please let me know asap, leaving this weekend. email [email protected]
Thank-You.
                                 Lori

Offline lori723

• View Profile
    • http://millerrandy@bellsouth.net
Desisto School
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »
We are going to look at the program this weekend, please let me know what things exactly are wrong with the school. I need placement for my 15 year old son asap.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »
I went to that school in 1995-1996.  I am 25 now graduated from college.  And I would like to honestly tell you that that school is NOT THE ANSWER.  They show you the "mansion" on the website, but they (for good reason) neglect to show you where 90%of the students stay.

While I was there, there were two student riots.  I was sat in a corner for four days, not aloud to talk, stand up, or eat.  Luckily there was one nice teacher there, who wasn't brainwashed, who would sneak me food.(Thanks Bonnie)  I spent most of my time there on the "farm" (prison).  Where one is locked in except when they go out to chop wood, so Michael DeSisto can have a cozy luxurious evening.  The whole summer of 1995, my whole dorm was locked in the lobby of one of the dorms that you probably won't see on your visit.  Take my advice.  DON'T BUY IN TO THERE B.S.  :skull:  RUN AND HIDE.  There are much better options for your child. MC

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2004, 09:57:00 PM »
Desisto School has gotten a lot of bad press here.  I beg to differ with most of these messages.

I am a parent of a 20 year old presently enrolled at he school.  He was a failure in high school, in his personal relations, a drug and alcohol abuser.  He went to Elan school for 8 months and left after his 18th birthday.

He though he could return to his local high scool, but after a few stable months, things spiralled downward, and he was arrested for multiple crimes.

Where do you send these kids?  Most get arrested and warehoused in prison.

Desisto rescued him and has made him a success story.  I have my life back again too, and my family is healing.

Sure kids hate being there.  Most of them are bright people who think they have control over everything and anyone.  At Desisto, they are with dozens of other kids that have problems that their families and schools could not control...  girls cutting themselves, uncontrollable urges, addictions to drugs, food and sex...The first few months are rough when you are out of control.

If you run away from the program before you learn to trust yourself,  and take positive steps for your future, of course you won't see the benefits.

These kids have many problems that take time to resolve, and a lifetime of control must follow.  Not outside mind control, but internalized control of impusle and addictions.

The parent groups are designed to help the parents learn about co-dependency, and abusive behavior.  The kids have problems that only they can control, but the parents have to learn what they are doing that exacerbate the problems.

The school is a much different place now than it was even 2 years ago, and the stories that swirl around in the internet and some newspapers are often distorted or describe conditions over a decade ago.  There no longer is "cornering" or the "Farm".

If you ask the people that have recently graduated, most would admit that they would probably be dead if it were not for the Desisto School.

The kids that have sunk so low will be permanently scarred from their ordeals.  They need a psychological therapeutic community to emerge and flourish.

Desisto is such a place.  Deny this at your own risk.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Desisto School
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »
I was bored at work and just did a search on DeSisto school (I thought of it because I had a dream about some people I knew from there last night).  For sure, that is one f***ed up place.  I was there from 16-18, '95-'97, I called that time "the lost years".

Mr. DeSisto died recently, not even 70 years old.  I suppose an obsessive drive to control others will do that to you...