Author Topic: Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr School, Maryland  (Read 7243 times)

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr School, Maryland
« on: February 22, 2002, 12:47:00 AM »
There was a death by restraint at this school last year and many parents cited the school as condoning abuse. Upper Marlboro is about an hour from me. When I first saw this story last year, I thought it unlikely that this was a gulag school, but the more I read the story of how the other kids piled on him while the counselor was "restraining" him, made me think there had to be something fishy going on. The parents are suing and the counselor is facing a manslaughter charge still pending.

http://www.nospank.net/n-i04.htm

and more recently

The family of a 17-year-old student at Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr. School, who died last year after a confrontation with a counselor, is suing the Maryland school for failing to adequately train staff in harmless ways to restrain students. The altercation began in gym class, when four youths were ordered to lie on their stomachs, a practice commonly used to control students at the school for troubled teens. When the victim failed to comply, the counselor stood behind him and placed him in a chokehold, at which time the other kids jumped on the staff member, all falling on the victim. Even after complaining of not being able to breathe, the adult did not let go, leading to what Maryland medical examiners called a homicide. The counselor is set to face manslaughter charges on Jan. 30. Since the attack, the school has been accused by other parents of condoning child abuse.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr School, Maryland
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 02:43:00 PM »
There used to be an Edgemeade in SW Va that was closed because of sexual abuse. This was in the 1970's. I am looking for information on this school but cannot find it. When and where was Edgemeade first?

Offline whosyadaddy48

• View Profile
Re: Edgemeade-Raymond A. Rogers Jr School, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
i was in the edgemeade school of maryland and ohio after he was convicted of abuse they moved me to a school in texas that bastard tryed to abuse me but no one wanted to hear what i had to say about him they treated him like he was god i fell 2 an a half storeys to a slab of concrete an was broken all to hell never got a dime from edgemeade or any one else as soon as i got released from the hospital they put me on a plane to summit oaks in mt.enterprise tx. this was in the early 70es if any one was in edgemeade of maryland or ohio around this time an would like to see if we were there together e mail me at [email protected] i do remember traveling to play foot ball at edgemeade of virginia an we beat them so bad i was at edgemeade of maryland at that time i was in ohio around 74-75 and maryland prior to that then i returned back it maryland again i remember that we had a gradaution at maryland at some time through my stay its kind of foggy now but we all got tuxes to wear at the gradaution

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:14:44 AM »
Quote from: "whosyadaddy48"
i was in the edgemeade school of maryland and ohio after he was convicted of abuse they moved me to a school in texas that bastard tryed to abuse me but no one wanted to hear what i had to say about him they treated him like he was god i fell 2 an a half storeys to a slab of concrete an was broken all to hell never got a dime from edgemeade or any one else as soon as i got released from the hospital they put me on a plane to summit oaks in mt.enterprise tx. this was in the early 70es if any one was in edgemeade of maryland or ohio around this time an would like to see if we were there together e mail me at [email protected] i do remember traveling to play foot ball at edgemeade of virginia an we beat them so bad i was at edgemeade of maryland at that time i was in ohio around 74-75 and maryland prior to that then i returned back it maryland again i remember that we had a gradaution at maryland at some time through my stay its kind of foggy now but we all got tuxes to wear at the gradaution
Geez... That's quite a story. I can't imagine anyone ever fully physically recovering from such a fall.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »
It is not very much we have on our datasheet on this program

I have tried to google old news but have digged more up. He was missing on the missing list. It will corrected shortly.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
Is there any information about Edgemeade in Virginia. There is a poster on a Elan site wanting some info. It is closed now and it seems all info has vanished so far anyway.
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
Regarding Edgemeade in Virginia:

The first article is about turning down a new project because people still could remember how bad Edgemeade was:
Roanoke Times, The : CHILDREN'S SHELTER LOSES VOTE, The Roanoke Times, December 19, 1990

Troubled Edgemeade Asks Public Scrutiny, The Free Lance-Star, 14 April 1978

Child Facility Blasted By Grand Jury, The Free Lance-Star - 4 April 1978

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
Oscar, thanks so much.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:07 AM »
Is this program still in existence (maybe under a different name now). I am going to be spending more time on this tomorrow don't have it now. The atrocities are just unbelievable. Well I guess not if you are looking at the overall picture of the TTI.

Offline Ban1mar5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
I was a resident at Edgemeade of Va. Edgemeade was located outside of Roanoke, Va on Smith Mountain Lake. Everything that's being said about the place is true. I was sexually molested for several years by a counselor and nothing was done about it. I was in that hell hole for 4 years because I was taken from my mother because of abuse and the state didn't know what to do with me. Some of the residents were extremely violent, one girl set another girls hair on fire, things like that. I spent 4 years watching my back. I was relieved to hear that they closed it down and had no idea there were other Edgemeades. I was there from 1975-1979. I will say most of the staff were caring people but untrained. If you were there please write a reply. Only kids that were there could truly understand what it was like.......Hell for kids

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
Quote from: "Ban1mar5"
I was a resident at Edgemeade of Va. Edgemeade was located outside of Roanoke, Va on Smith Mountain Lake. Everything that's being said about the place is true. I was sexually molested for several years by a counselor and nothing was done about it. I was in that hell hole for 4 years because I was taken from my mother because of abuse and the state didn't know what to do with me. Some of the residents were extremely violent, one girl set another girls hair on fire, things like that. I spent 4 years watching my back. I was relieved to hear that they closed it down and had no idea there were other Edgemeades. I was there from 1975-1979. I will say most of the staff were caring people but untrained. If you were there please write a reply. Only kids that were there could truly understand what it was like.......Hell for kids
It sounds like you went from the frying pan into the fire...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline wolfofthewhitemt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
I do not know if this is the same place I was in or not. I was in many places growing up. The Edgemeade I was in was in Minerel Wells, TX. There was abuse by a felow inmate but for the most part it was otherwise the most normal year of my teens. Is that sad or what?
I looked his name up and his name was listed on an AIDS quilt, so I guess he is dead now.
No, no one tryd to help. This was not the only se^aul abuse I went thrue but was the only one at Edgemeade.
I was also in HIH, ASH, Deveroux and Bellair Gen Hosp, psyc unit. All this from 72-81.

Offline sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 04:51:32 PM »
Was this the facility in Upper Marlboro, MD? Did any of you attend Edgemeade in Upper Marlboro, MD, between the years, 1968 and 1970? If so, what brought you there, how did they treat you, and if you were a male, were you preyed on sexually by any of the male counselors, there? What was/were your diagnosis/diagnoses from the Edgemeade staff and did you think their diagnosis/diagnoses of you were correct?

Offline sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
Was this the facility in Upper Marlboro, MD? Did any of you attend Edgemeade in Upper Marlboro, MD, between the years, 1968 and 1970? If so, what brought you there, how did they treat you, and if you were a male, were you preyed on sexually by any of the male counselors, there? What was/were your diagnosis/diagnoses from the Edgemeade staff and did you think their diagnosis/diagnoses of you were correct?

Offline sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
If any of you were abused (physically, sexually, mentally, emotionally) by any of the Edgemeade staff, what kept you sane? A best friend there? A hobby? If so, describe the hobby that kept you sane and describe the best friend (without his name, of course.) Maybe I knew him. Did that friend remain your friend after Edgemeade, is he your friend, still? Was it easy for you to make friends at Edgemeade? Were you mostly a “loner”?