Author Topic: Please Delete  (Read 7870 times)

Offline gomerperry

• View Profile
Please Delete
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
Needed to be Moved, and I got into contact with the people I needed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 06:44:10 PM by gomerperry »

Offline cmack

• View Profile
Re: Seeking People to Tell Me Their Hyde Withdrawl stories
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 11:30:05 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father, you have my condolences.

You sound like a normal teen going through normal grief. Hyde is a therapeutic boarding school for 'troubled' teens. I don't have personal experience w/ Hyde, but I don't think you belong there. If your previous public or private school wasn't working for you there are many normal small college prep boarding schools you could consider. Or you could homeschool. Or depending upon the laws of the state you live in, you might be able to quit HS, get your GED and get a head start on college by enrolling in a community college. After two years at a CC you could transfer to any University to complete your degree.

It's a myth that you must go to an Ivy school in order to have a good future.

See these links:
http://www.martynemko.com/articles/why- ... -in_id1247

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/we-s ... ege_id1238

http://www.martynemko.com/articles/sure ... ege_id1456

I can't give you a personal story about Hyde, but here are some links that might help you. Keep us posted on what you decide. Good luck

http://hydestudents.tribe.net/thread/fb ... 9cbe3df763

http://wiki.fornits.com/index.php?title=Hyde_Schools

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
Quote from: "gomerperry"
(privately is fine, and I need very specific details)

Hello, I am new to this board. I found this board after I realized Hyde(Woodstock) was not working for me, -- I AM a current student on their Woodstock campus. I also realize how risky it may be for me to come on this board, but I know my mom is going to struggle withdrawing me, and Hyde's manipulative ways.  

I can here a mere 4 weeks ago and already feel manipulated and lied to. When I came for a tour they seem to have put on a false front and this school is nothing what it seems. I was told this was a school for kids "who struggled, but were striving to get better" and trying move on in their life.  I lost my father in February (14) of this year to cancer, and I struggled from there at home. I used to be a straight A student, but the sudden death of my father rocked my boat a little too hard and I lost my groove. I was struggling with simple tasks, and my mom thought a change of scenery would do me some good. She researched school, and was easily attracted to Hyde's PR ploy of "character education."

So I interviewed at what seemed to be a nice school with some friendly kids to find this school is full of ex-addicts, ex-drug users, and criminal offenders; who were forced here by their parents. Not what I signed up for, only to find they return back to their habits when they go home for break and the summer, (shows how effective this programs is I guess.) I proceeded to withdraw from the community simply because I don't want to be involved with these people. The staff jumped right on that and told me "I was socially unable to interact with my peers because I grew up in a world of adults, and had to grow down a little to interact with them" and furthermore the classes move so slow here I have no learned a single thing. In my AP English class, I am doing things I have done when I was a freshman, and reading a book that is clearly not a college level text. In math we easily spend a week or more on a single section.

I seem to be the only student that realizes Hyde's grading system is a bunch of shit, and that I have blown my chances at a good school if I stay here. In life your not going to get 5 tries to make something perfect, and I think that definitely downgrades the real quality of receiving an "A" on something "Brother's Keeper" is a way of taddle tailing o kids you don't like, and then the war continues from there on out. I felt highly violated during my first family weekend, and felt the HAPA parents was highly intrusive into my personal business, and passed judgments quickly on everyone in the room. I have no idea what gives an untrained person the "leadership skills" to run basically a group therapy session.

Against doctor's order they are making me tell my life's story here after such a short time, so "people can get to know me". Bullshit. I don't want to know anyone here, and I think this environment is becoming highly toxic. They have brainwashed people into thinking confrontation is  the only solution to every problem. The kids are really mean, and I honestly feel like I have gotten dumber just from my little time here.

My mom and I have mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of our relationship and my sanity to withdraw from Hyde. I know for a fact they will try to guilt-trip us into thinking that by leaving we are "running away from our problems" but I think this place is proving to a major problem, regardless. A lot of kids here are emotionally unstable, and I don't think having a know it all teacher and some "character education" is really going to fix their problems. "Character education" is really an idea of long ago that doesn't apply to teenagers of today.

I think the staff is highly hypocritical, and the fact some of them are "lifers" at Hyde with their own fair share of problems is not a good idea, or mix with some highly troubled students.

I'm sorry but I don't believe anything they tell me, but am just playing along until I can leave.

Now my question for former parents/students:
How hard was it for you to withdraw from Hyde? What challenges did you face, and what would you expect from them-- if someone has only been there a short time is already leaving?

This place is truly a cult, and "leadership" my ass.
I'm gonna respond to your post in several parts, gomerperry. There is so much...
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
Hello, I am new to this board. I found this board after I realized Hyde(Woodstock) was not working for me, -- I AM a current student on their Woodstock campus. I also realize how risky it may be for me to come on this board, but I know my mom is going to struggle withdrawing me, and Hyde's manipulative ways.  

I can here a mere 4 weeks ago and already feel manipulated and lied to. When I came for a tour they seem to have put on a false front and this school is nothing what it seems. I was told this was a school for kids "who struggled, but were striving to get better" and trying move on in their life.  I lost my father in February (14) of this year to cancer, and I struggled from there at home. I used to be a straight A student, but the sudden death of my father rocked my boat a little too hard and I lost my groove. I was struggling with simple tasks, and my mom thought a change of scenery would do me some good. She researched school, and was easily attracted to Hyde's PR ploy of "character education."
I'm very sorry to hear about your father; what a blow at such a young age. Please accept my condolences, for whatever they are worth...

And I am also sorry to hear that you and your mother anticipated any kind of supportive atmosphere at Hyde to better help you deal with it. Hyde School doesn't strike me as a very psychologically sophisticated or sensitive kinda place. Clearly the best thing for you would have been to seek some private counseling, should you have felt/still feel the need. And a "change of scenery" could easily been effected via one of many bona fide, and assuredly respectable, "regular" boarding schools.

I have to say, I never cease to be amazed that kids get sent to Hyde because they're too shy, are overly insecure, and/or have recently undergone traumatic experiences. Imo, this is the worst kind of place for that!

I have wonder whether your mum was "assisted" in her research by some local HAPA folk. Former Hyde School parents and students are heavily pressured to "give back" to the community by recruiting more families. Years ago, perhaps still, these parents used to host "admissions teas."

This is, in fact, just how *I* ended up at Hyde. We were told that it was just like a regular boarding school with the additional (and allegedly desirable) component of the "character education." I distinctly remember the hard sell at the end of the family interview: "Do you really think you're up for the challenge?" Of course, the context in which that was delivered carried the heavy implication that to NOT be "up to the challenge" meant that you would be opting for the easier road, a more superficial take on life, and were probably a complete wuss to boot.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
So I interviewed at what seemed to be a nice school with some friendly kids to find this school is full of ex-addicts, ex-drug users, and criminal offenders; who were forced here by their parents. Not what I signed up for, only to find they return back to their habits when they go home for break and the summer, (shows how effective this programs is I guess.) I proceeded to withdraw from the community simply because I don't want to be involved with these people. The staff jumped right on that and told me "I was socially unable to interact with my peers because I grew up in a world of adults, and had to grow down a little to interact with them" and furthermore the classes move so slow here I have no learned a single thing. In my AP English class, I am doing things I have done when I was a freshman, and reading a book that is clearly not a college level text. In math we easily spend a week or more on a single section.

I seem to be the only student that realizes Hyde's grading system is a bunch of shit, and that I have blown my chances at a good school if I stay here. In life your not going to get 5 tries to make something perfect, and I think that definitely downgrades the real quality of receiving an "A" on something
Ya mean... those euphemistically termed "effort grades?" Which allegedly factor in to the tune of 50% of ... what your actual noted grade is for coursework obtained via Hyde? :rofl: In my time they were called "attitude grades." For a time, Joe Gauld used to even refer to them as "character grades." Realistically, and functionally, they are simply one more prong via which Hyde can coerce you or blackmail you into getting with the program, so to speak.

Trust me, you haven't blown your chances at a good school, but it *is* possible that your time at Hyde may be a whole or partial wash. Maybe not. Probably a lot depends on whether Hyde wants to get even with you for being "ungrateful." As far as colleges and universities go, I kinda suspect (from what I've been told), that a fair number of them, especially in New England, have a pretty good idea as to how to interpret those non-academic factors when "evaluating" a transcript from Hyde. Just sayin'...

Also, I don't know whether this is still the case, but historically Hyde used to send along a Letter with your transcript, which is basically their way of rendering judgment on the caliber of your character and possibly also their opinion on your prospects. Of course, this can swing both ways. You could be a complete fuck-up, both morally and ethically as well as academically, but... as long as you drink the kool-aid LOUDLY, they will sing your praises to high heaven. On the other hand, if they don't like you, or they don't think that you believe in The Hyde Way, or they want to exact retribution for some alleged sins they hold you responsible for (whether or not this has any basis in reality is immaterial) ... watch out.

On the other hand, certain colleges/universities which just happen to have Hyde School graduates prominently placed in their admission departments, may possibly skew such factors in the other direction. Again, just sayin'... fwiw.

Needless to say, all this does put more pressure on you as far as your performance on the SATs are concerned. However, if you can manage to do well on those, the relative importance of all of the above lessens significantly. I should add, fwiw, that the impact of Hyde School on your academic career may well prove to be the least of your problems given who and what these people are. Just sayin'...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
"Brother's Keeper" is a way of taddle tailing o kids you don't like, and then the war continues from there on out. I felt highly violated during my first family weekend, and felt the HAPA parents was highly intrusive into my personal business, and passed judgments quickly on everyone in the room. I have no idea what gives an untrained person the "leadership skills" to run basically a group therapy session.
Brother's Keeper is, to *my* mind, a veritable blueprint for gangstalking. Yep, that good ol' "positive peer culture" does not end when you leave Hyde. It continues under the rubric of the alumni network whether you graduated or not, and it keeps tabs on you, and continues to pass judgment on you, possibly for your lifetime. :D

As to those seminars or disco groups (or whatever vernacular they're using these days for what goes on during family weekends), it's "group therapy" alright, but a special kind: the confrontational encounter group. (See also)

Against doctor's order they are making me tell my life's story here after such a short time, so "people can get to know me". Bullshit. I don't want to know anyone here, and I think this environment is becoming highly toxic. They have brainwashed people into thinking confrontation is  the only solution to every problem. The kids are really mean, and I honestly feel like I have gotten dumber just from my little time here.
I have to say, in all fairness, that most of those kids are probably not "mean" per se, but are merely trying to behave in accordance with what is expected of them at Hyde. They are "trying to survive," and hopefully one day graduate. Those are the rules of the game there. The simple virtue of kindness rarely gets rewarded, and may even be held with suspicion. Notice that EMPATHY is not one of the "5 Words" or principles.

I'm not sure how things are run at the present moment, but there have been, in the past, kids who were even court ordered to Hyde, and who really had very little choice as to whether or not they capitulated when going through those motions. Life at Hyde also, over time, envelops you in a very corrosive atmosphere, or "therapeutic milieu," and it gets under your skin before ya know it, and more than you realize, the longer you are there.

Imo, Hyde's system or setup of "group dynamics" is eminently supportive of and, quite frankly, selects for sociopathic tendencies. What all this says about what kind of "character" values Hyde is trying to impart to its students and the type of group relations that evolve out of that environment is... not too flattering an assessment.

And yes, you probably have gotten dumber. Probably measurably so. The consequence laden dogma, let alone the piss-poor academics, pretty much squelches any critical thinking not in keeping with their "teachings." But that can be repaired with time and assiduous focus on relearning logical reasoning skills.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »
My mom and I have mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of our relationship and my sanity to withdraw from Hyde. I know for a fact they will try to guilt-trip us into thinking that by leaving we are "running away from our problems" but I think this place is proving to a major problem, regardless. A lot of kids here are emotionally unstable, and I don't think having a know it all teacher and some "character education" is really going to fix their problems. "Character education" is really an idea of long ago that doesn't apply to teenagers of today.

I think the staff is highly hypocritical, and the fact some of them are "lifers" at Hyde with their own fair share of problems is not a good idea, or mix with some highly troubled students.

I'm sorry but I don't believe anything they tell me, but am just playing along until I can leave.

Now my question for former parents/students:
How hard was it for you to withdraw from Hyde? What challenges did you face, and what would you expect from them-- if someone has only been there a short time is already leaving?

This place is truly a cult, and "leadership" my ass.
My suggestion would be a two-pronged approach: solidify the plan as to where you're going to next, and damage control as to where you currently are. Your mother will be the primary facilitator as to the next step, i.e., making arrangements and so forth as to where you'll hopefully be soon.

As to damage control, you should know that, and be reassured that, the degree of invasiveness that Hyde can get away with is limited by your own self-respect and belief system. Which is to say, you have every right to limit it should you feel the necessity for and, effectively, see fit to do so.

Yes, they are gonna give you grief, pass judgment, and pronounce dire physical and psychological consequences. Nevertheless, ultimately, unless you second guess yourself (easier said than done), this will hopefully not amount to squat in the long run.

I say "hopefully," 'cause historically there have been severe incidences of abuse with ramifications that were long-lasting if not permanent. You need to keep your head, respect and heed your gut instincts and perspective, and get elsewhere as soon as you can.

It has been reported that Hyde has delayed release of transcripts beyond all practical utilization. Whether this is a punitive maneuver or simply the result of incompetence is anyone's guess. I'd wager that it depends on the particular situation, and that all causal factors can be assumed to weigh in in varying percentage.

Optimally, you will be able to put some other school (a "real" school) between your  time at Hyde and whatever institution of higher learning would ordinarily be your next step. Unfortunately, what you are going through now may well prove to be a very painful learning experience for you, as Hyde School is NOT what they claim to be. They are, most assuredly (IMO), a behavior modification program masquerading as a prep school. I don't care how much they may twist families' minds re. the so-called idealistic dogma, sports participation, dinner dress codes and whatnot, they ARE, unequivocally, a particularly insidious thought reform institution bar none.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Offline cmack

• View Profile
Re: Please Delete
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »
I wonder if he was successful in extricating himself from Hyde. Hopefully we'll get an update from him someday.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
Quote from: "cmack"
I wonder if he was successful in extricating himself from Hyde. Hopefully we'll get an update from him someday.
I suspect that Hyde, as per usual protocol, will probably refuse to return tuition monies already paid. This despite the extreme misrepresentation that appears to have gone on. I would hope that they aren't still doing this, but I'm not too optimistic 'bout that likelihood. For all we know, enrollment might be down a lil this year.

Offline xhydeparent

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
Please contact me if you need someone to help. I will talk with you and your parents. I had a son and daughter at Hyde this year also that we removed within 4 weeks of school starting. Please know that they is support out there to get out.

Offline xhydeparent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:09 PM »
I am currently going through The Hyde "I WANT MY MONEY" tactic. How they can expect us to pay them when they basically had our children in jeopardy........boggles the mind.

I guess they feel having my daughter on the same campus with a known predator was not a problem for them.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 11:02:37 PM »
Quote from: "xhydeparent"
Please contact me if you need someone to help. I will talk with you and your parents. I had a son and daughter at Hyde this year also that we removed within 4 weeks of school starting. Please know that they is support out there to get out.
How did they convince you to start both at the same time? Did your kids go through the summer session beforehand?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
Quote from: "xhydeparent"
I am currently going through The Hyde "I WANT MY MONEY" tactic. How they can expect us to pay them when they basically had our children in jeopardy........boggles the mind.

I guess they feel having my daughter on the same campus with a known predator was not a problem for them.
It's hard to tell which campus you're talking about, since both Bath and Woodstock seem to have perps associated with them at the moment...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
Bump...

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
Rumor has it that gomerperry choose not to return to Hyde after one of those school vacations which took place in the interim... Anyone care to (or dare to :D ) confirm?