Author Topic: Nisga'a residential school survivors return home  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Xelebes

• View Profile
Nisga'a residential school survivors return home
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Nisga'a residential school survivors return home

Hundreds of Nisga'a now living in southern B.C. are reconnecting with their homeland in the Nass Valley in the northwestern part of the province.

Most of the 400 returning Nisga'a are residential school survivors who haven't been back since they were taken away as children.

The Journey Home tour, organized by Vancouver's Nisga'a community, has been in the works for three years.

The project gave many returnees the opportunity to reconnect with their heritage by relearning Nisga'a customs, language and culture before their journey north.

Richmond resident and residential school survivor Esther Stewart is one of the many who are making the emotional return.

"It opened a lot of feelings that I never knew I had," she said. "This was a powerful journey. I meet a lot of heartwarming, beautiful people wherever we go."

Organizer Sherry Small said the project is incredibly important.

"It is just that to put their feet on the ground of the creator and to feel the spiritual nature and of what that means to be Nisga'a."

The group will be in Gitwinksihlkw on Wednesday before finishing their trip in New Aiyansh on Thursday.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troublemaker

• View Profile
Re: Nisga'a residential school survivors return home
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »
Nisga'a please
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The troubled teen industry is ineffective because advocates are after money, fame or are as abusive as the programs they\'re fighting