Author Topic: NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase  (Read 21367 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »
NEWS 4 WOAI
NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase

Published: 11/12/2010 5:24 pm
Updated: 11/13/2010 5:53 pm

(News 4 WOAI)

SAN ANTONIO -- A teenager was shot and killed by a Northside Independent School District police officer on the Far West Side Friday afternoon.

The shooting happened around 4:30 p.m. in the 200 block of Roswell Canyon, off of Hunt Lane and Potranco Road. A NISD spokesperson said the officer told investigators he was patrolling the neighborhood and witnessed a fight between the teenager and a NISD student. The teenager took off on foot, and the officer began chasing him through the neighborhood.

During the chase, a homeowner came out of his house, waived down the officer, and told him he believed the teenager was hiding inside his shed in his backyard. As the officer approached the shed, he and the teenager got into a struggle, and the teenager was shot.

Police are still investigating, but officials said it appears the teenager "came at" the officer. It's not yet clear if the teenager had any sort of weapon.

NISD officials did not release the teen's name but said he was an 8th grade student at the Bexar County Juvenile Justice School. The boy had attended Pease Middle School, just down the street from where the shooting happened, but had recently been expelled.

The officer, who NISD officials described as a "veteran officer," suffered a cut on his lip and a knee injury. He has been placed on administrative leave pending the results of the investigation.

© 2010 Newport Television LLC
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Comments: "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase"
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Comments left for the above article, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 1-20:

nytotx - 11/12/2010 5:54 PM
    Why was an NISD officer dispatched? This is not school property.
Feesta - 11/12/2010 6:13 PM
    Gotta love the, "culture", here.
aseadooguy - 11/12/2010 7:06 PM
    NISD Poice are not just school police. They are employed by the District and have regular police powers and can ticket you or arrest you just like any other SAPD Officer.
Citizen Todd - 11/12/2010 7:13 PM
    All property belongs to schools, that's why you pay taxes even if you don't have no kids. It's the law.
Sammy - 11/12/2010 9:20 PM
    aseadooguy, you are correct. School distrct police are "Texas Peace Officers" just like TX Rangers, DPS Troopers, Sheriffs/constables, and municipal police...they have full powers and arrest authority. Good work, officer. My taxes are finally paying off! One less hoodlum to support in jail!
wilkim45yes - 11/12/2010 10:06 PM
    1) TEEN FLEES FROM THE POLICE OFFICER, 2) TEEN BREAKS INTO SOMEONE'S SHED, 3) TEEN SCUFFLES WITH POLICE OFFICER, 4) TEEN EXPELLED FROM SCHOOL...Well there you have it, I NOW KNOW HOW HIS PARENTS RAISED THIS TEEN.
Flawed - 11/12/2010 11:10 PM
    I am truly appalled by the comments on here from supposed adults. How dare you judge this child to the point that you feel he deserved to die. Which one of you was a perfect child or for that matter a perfect adult. And for those of you that have kids thank God for their safety. To those of you who commented and do not have kids, thank the good Lord for that small miracle. To the family of the child May God guide you through this rough journey you are now facing. I pray that ministering, warring, and protective angel encamp around you in this your time of need. For the officer involver may peace come swiftly to your heart and mind. And to all the negative people who posted such hateful non sense, May God hold you to the same standard of judgment that you have so publically held this child and his family to. And please everyone try to remember, no matter how awful you felt this child was, based on the limited exposure you had to him, he was a person who has left behind people who love him. Please think of that and show some respect to the ones left behind when you post your comments.
Math Teacher - 11/12/2010 11:23 PM
    So big veteran trained police officer couldn't get the best of an 8th grader without killing him? Are you kidding me? Maybe this kid had been fighting, but his real crime was "POPO".
DirtyCowboy79 - 11/12/2010 11:24 PM
    Flawed, you so are flawed. I am all for the officer. #1 it sounds like he was defending himself. #2 the kids now a days tend to be out of control. I hope this sends a message to them. #3 God bless Texas. May the wrong be punished as this kid was. Apparently his parents seemed inept to properly discipline this child. I was raised in during the 80's & 90's and the one thing I feared the most then and I respect the most now were my parents and all 4 of us kids turned out to be law abiding and have the very best lives with everything going for us. These days parents think "time out" will fix everything. Think again.
sa mike - 11/12/2010 11:48 PM
    Flawed- I appreciate that you sat down and thought for amoment or two before posting. A vast majority of folks posting not only on this topic, but most others only glance at the headline and without putting their mind in gear vent their spleen.
dltyler - 11/13/2010 6:35 AM
    If the young man had been shot and killed by the homeowner whose shed he was hiding in because he assualts the homeowner-- would the outcome been different looking to some people???? It is again a situtation that will be dealt with by people who have compiled all of the facts and came to a conclusion from the evidence left behind.
AlamoGal - 11/13/2010 6:36 AM
    I'm sure, looking back, the officer would liked for this to turn out differently. Why didn't the kid just stop and turn himself in? Why run? So the police officer is chasing a juvenile who was just expelled and in a school for bad kids and could possibly come out of the shed with a pair of garden shears or who knows what to assualt him with? Unless you were there in the heat of the moment with this officer, no one has any right to judge. I'm sure the officer is sorry now the way it ended, but it's the kid's fault for the entire event in the first place.
Arturo - 11/13/2010 6:42 AM
    Guess the kid had a real learning disability, he couldn't learn in school or out of school, hopefully he was one of the local graffiti artists.
euroboy - 11/13/2010 7:23 AM
    These comments are not surprising coming from FAT, DUMB and STUPID San Antonians!!! It's shocking that a police officer cannot defend himself from an 8th grader without having to shoot and kill him. If this were my child that he killed...there would be quite a reaction from me towards this POS officer!!
son2gezus - 11/13/2010 7:53 AM
    This was a horrible incident for everyone involved. I only have one question? This CHILD was already in trouble with the juvinnile dept. right? Why didn't his parents know where he was and what he was doing, if I had a troubled teen, I would be all over him all the time, I would have him involved in after school programs, volunteer work, something to keep him out of trouble. And if he didn't want to do all that, then I would protect him from himself and put him in military school, I would have gotten him off the streets! As parents we cannot be enablers, we have to protect them from them selves even if that means sending them away!
son2gezus - 11/13/2010 8:19 AM
    I pray for everyone involved, no one really knows what happened, obviously the child was very troubled and like so many troubled children ..was a product of his environment. It's the parents that need to take control and do something about this kind of stuff...he was only child. Not that he wasn't being delinquent... but integrity and morals and character start in the home!Let's be honest some parents just don't care or there living the same kind of life style them selves. If I had a son that was alreadyin troulble with the law, he would not have been free to do whatever he wanted including going back to his old hood. I would occupy his time with good influences and if he didn't listen ...them military school it is!
kingphil - 11/13/2010 8:36 AM
    I agree with you EUROBOY none of these comments make any sense.Until the investigation is over we do not have a clue as to what happened. It looks like the people making the comments have never done anything wrong in their entire life especially when they were juveniles.But done it mean this 14 year old deserved to die? The officer is only required by law to use deadly force to protect himself or someelse from SERIOUS BODILY INJURY or DEATH. Was this officer in fear of his life? Did the 14 year old have a deadly weapaon in his possession such as a gun or knife? These are the questions that will be answered during the investigation.
cher01 - 11/13/2010 9:10 AM
    This is so very very heartbreaking. I have a son the same age, and no matter what this boy did, he did not deserve to die at the hands of a "shoot now, ask questions later" cop. I am sorry mr officer, but you screwed up on this deal. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this boy, during this very sad and tragic time in their lives.
rhancox - 11/13/2010 9:11 AM
    This really is a tragedy. But consider this: do we need uniformed, and armed, police officers worrying about kids getting into fights? All the school districts pay all these officers, and for what? Catch a truant. Stop a fight. In the grand scheme of things, is it worth the expense? Now we have this. According to the story, the district officer saw the fight and went to break it up and one of the kids runs. Now we've got a chase that ends up with the kid dead. They were just fighting. Just showing up broke it up. Is it that important that our tax dollars be spent on a police force to break up school fights? I'm not trying to deflect blame for all this, but where I grew up, we didn't have a district police force. We got into fights and we all survived. We didn't need a nanny-state district to keep us on the straight and narrow. If someone did cross over to the dark side, the local police were the ones responsible for keeping us safe from him. As I read this story and think about how it got started, I really question the motives behind a district police force. One of those motives, I suspect, has to do with how much money the district gets from the state, and how. So often our kids tell us how a teacher tells them how important it is for them to be in school because that's how the school gets it's money. Attendance. So, does the school district justify the expense of a police force because it helps keep a kid going to a school, whether it's normal or alternative, so the school/district can keep making their money? What kind of return on investment does that bring? You know, WalMart takes certain steps to prevent theft, but they realize it can't all be stopped and so they don't go overboard spending a lot of money on it. It doesn't pay off. This whole incident has me wondering. I just don't see the importance of chasing down a kid who was in a fight. Not that every situation turns out like this, but none of them would if we shifted our focus to more important matters.
speakonit - 11/13/2010 9:45 AM
    rhancox Since you did not grow up in S.A. let me fill you in. The kids here dont fight,they try to kill. If you beat his ass, him and his homeboys are gonna shoot up your house or whatever they can. And who can we thank? The parents, or lack of parenting. Kids dont become violent overnight, its a learned process. Parents bullying there kids,older children bullying the younger children. ITS LEARNED BEHAVIOR.STOP THE MADNESS. SAVE OUR CHILDREN. THEY ARE OUR FUTURE!!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:03:42 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:59:30 AM by Anonymous »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:13 PM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:59:10 AM by Anonymous »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:00:15 AM »
Quote from: "Wayne Kernochan"
This incident is 9 months old, have the police presented the weapon the kid came after him with, or is it a matter of national security?
Ya know... I think that bit about the kid having a weapon may be fabrication for the purpose of covering someone's ass, but I haven't read far enough into this saga to say for sure.

It appears to have started as an impromptu adolescent skirmish, which would have probably played out with more pomp than circumstance, had there been no intervention on the part of others.

The cop's behavior and course of action was, however, beyond the pale. That much is certain. Imo.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:32:06 AM »
Here are some more comments left for the above article, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 21-40:

felontracker - 11/13/2010 9:46 AM
    If the home owner would have shot and killed this juvenile delinquent...YOU ALL would have been cheering a win for the good guys. Well, this officer was acting on behalf of the home owner in protecting not only someone elses child but their property as well. You cannot judge unless is was you involved in this scuffle. What if it was the home owner and the JJA (Juvenile Justice Academy) student (a school for criminals), would have killed the home owner with a machete he took out from the shed... A whole differernt story huh??? The officer acted in defense of the home owner and himself. Good job Officer and we support you and all of the you in blue putting your life on the line for us every day.
rodrma - 11/13/2010 9:54 AM
    Tragic,heartbreaking - Yes. But did you people crying care about this kid yesterday? Where was his father? Or Mother? Your all a bunch of whiny bleeding heart hypocrites. He would have kicked in your door with a pistol in 5 years time. Would you be so sorry then? I have 3 boys(4, 6 and 20 yrs of age)and I keep them all in line. The 20 year old leaves for the Marines on Monday. They all fear me, as I feared my father, and I never had a single problem with the law. Should they choose the wrong way it would break my heart, but it is they who have to answer. This "Kid" wanted to play early in a brutal world and lost.
rodrma - 11/13/2010 9:59 AM
    For felontrack and speakonit - Bravo. You both hit the nail on the head.
willve - 11/13/2010 10:05 AM
    felontracker, i can see u are a good christian, and not a parent. every kid, of every age gets into fights, hopefully we dont start shooting kids as a preemptive measure. as for rodrma, i hope your kids grow to be fine men and get away from your heartless life as fast as they can.
felontracker - 11/13/2010 10:16 AM
    Well willve, go to church and pray for all of us sinners this sunday. Pray for yourself as well since you are in denile. My friend that lives on this street tells me the person this thug was assaulting was a young girl. He was beating the sh!+ out of her in the middle of the street when this officer rolled up on it. Since you are such a great parent and christian...let me know what your response would be if it was your daughter that this thug was kicking the sh!+ out of???
rodrma - 11/13/2010 10:16 AM
    wilve - what color are the pretty little clouds in your world? Pink? I don't care about anyone except my own. If it means they don't have to deal with or pay for a POS (prison/housing) the better. Forget rehabilitation. I'd rather supply the bullet. I'm realist. I adapt. My boys will be able to do the same. Like I said, it's a brutal world, not the one you wish it were. Have a marshmellow.
cher01 - 11/13/2010 10:37 AM
    mmmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm(shaking my head) This has gotten WAY out of control. It is a tregedy for all involved. JUST STOP NOW!
cher01 - 11/13/2010 10:38 AM
    *tragedy
ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 12:31 PM
bobrrr - 11/13/2010 12:53 PM
    Yo willve - you are deluded. The officer didn't shoot the kid because he was fighting. The kid got shot because 1) he disobeyed a police officer, 2) he evaded a police officer, and 3) he lunged at the police officer. I've taught my children to always obey those in authority. Apparently the parents here did not. And the kid paid the ultimate price for his own stupidity. Chances are this kid would have ended up in jail or in the electric chair anyway. Give the officer a raise and more bullets. Then get him back on duty ASAP.
ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 12:56 PM
    EVERYONE IS QUICK TO JUDGE... BUT NO ONE KNOWS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!! F.Y.I. THAT TEEN WAS NOT IN PRISON/HOUSING OR JJA (Juvenile Justice Academy) THE NEWS MAKES IT SEEM LIKE HE WAS A TRUE CRIMINAL....HE WAS IN ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL RIGHT ACROSS FROM HIS MIDDLE SCHOOL!.. WHERE KIDS MISBEHAVE IN SCHOOL AND ARE REFFERED TO THAT SCHOOL... AND IT HAPPENED AFTER SCHOOL HE WENT TO HIS FRIENDS HOME AFTER SCHOOL THEN THEY WERE SOME GUYS THAT HAD BEEF WITH THEM AND THAT'S HOW THE FIGHT STARTED! BETWEEN THE BOYS IT SO HAPPENED THAT THE COP WAS THERE AND THE KID DID NOT WANT TO GET CAUGHT BECAUSE THEY WOULD LEAVE HIM LONGER AT THE ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL FOR A MUCH LONGER PERIO.., SO HE RAN TOWARDS HOME AND THOUGHT HE WOULD HIDE SO HE WOULDN'T GET IN MORE TROUBLE!.. HE WASN'T A BAD KID! EVERYONE IS EASY TO JUDGE.. NO ONE'S SONS ARE PERFECT AND SHOULD NOT JUDGE OTHERS! AS FOR THE POLICE HE DIDN'T HAVE TO SHOOT HIM IN THE HEART...THE KID HAD NO WEAPON... THEIRS PEPPER SPRAY AND TAISER GUN!... HE WAS ONLY 14.. WHAT A COWARD IN HIS PART!..BUT HE'LL HAVE TO ANSWER TO GOD FOR THAT! AS THERE IS A SAYING GOES..."THOSE WHO KILL BY WEAPON, SHALL DIE BY WEAPON" AND ONLY THE LORD KNOWS THE REAL TRUTH!....
felontracker - 11/13/2010 1:13 PM
    Gee Rocky...my condolences for the death of your son or nephew... You apparently don't know crap either... or do you? You sure seem to have a whole lot of details of what actually happened and why he was hiding. Or, are you another one of his homies that wasn't there for your BRO? But you failed to mention the girl he was beating up on in the middle of the street. The media HAS confirmed that he was a student at J.J.A. a school for thugs school districts have given up on. Con-Air Transit picks them up and drops them off in front of the Alternative School. He was no longer a student at Alternative School.
felontracker - 11/13/2010 1:17 PM
    And why are you yelling Rocky??? Oh wait...you did whisper (Juenile Justice Academy) like it was a secret...
bobrrr - 11/13/2010 1:19 PM
    Thanks, Rocky1, for clearing this all up by revealing everything that was going on in this kid's mind right before he was shot. Shame on us for making judgments without knowing all the facts that you were able to supply using your Vulcan mind link with the dead kid. You can spin it any way you want, but when a cop tells you to stop and you run, you forfeit all your rights. I don't care why he ran. Doing so proved he was stupid, and stupid gets killed. Too bad. By the way, SHOUTING IN CAPS is considered rude... or stupid. More Kool-Aid for you?
jrfive - 11/13/2010 1:25 PM
    Not saying the kid didnt bring it on himself to a point, but, you're telling me a grown man was getting his butt kicked by a 14 year old kid so bad he had to shoot him? I'd be too embarrassed to show my face, much less continue in a career as a "peace" officer
ricardocabeza - 11/13/2010 1:48 PM
    since when do these rent-a-cops carry guns? they have no authority and this time,he was out of jurisdiction.
kaylove01 - 11/13/2010 1:49 PM
    Don't yall people have anything better to do then be on here and posting comments. This is my little cousin that you are talking about on here. Unless any of you stupid people were actually there to see what happened, then i suggest you shut the hell up. And who are any of you to blame the parents. You have no idea what went on behind closed doors or went on at home. And who the hell are any of you idiots to judge...there is only one person that is allowed to judge and that is god so just please everybody shut the hell up and let him rest in peace now!
Sharee - 11/13/2010 2:04 PM
    If the NS Police officer was scared for his safety; why did he go after the boy into the neighborhood? Why wasn't a S.A.P. officer dispatched to take care of a matter that was at that point off campus. Obviously the NS Police officer's own feelings of rage and degradation of being overcome by a 8th grader had interferred with clear thinking. He was upset that this boy made him look incompitant as a officer. It was wrong for this young man to be fighting, it was wrong for this young man to choose to run. Yet the young man hadn't fatally hurt another human being. Afterall the boy paid with his own life for his mistake of having a fight and running away. I am appalled by the inhuman comments regarding this young man as if he was lower than an animal and deserved to die. This young man was a son, he was born into this world, he had rights as everyone has. Until proven guilty in a court of law. Shoot the boy in the leg to keep him from running, not take his life. As for the people that comment in such a brutal fashion; you must be seeing too much make believe tv shows. This is the real life. When you fire a gun at someone, they die. Not like on T.V. where they live to see another day. We as humans see so much of killing on T.V. in a daily basis that the young children that are growing up and seeing this are growing numb to the real world and numb to feelings of being a person. They have no sense of compassion and that life is something that is number one priority. God gives us a life. Therefore life is to be considered sacred. Our life; just like this young man's life. He may have been troubled. He had some problems. But no way did he deserve to die for a fight. I feel for the mother that through all this she alone will remember her son's first cry, the kisses and hugs at holidays, his voice that was silenced. Maybe the boy had made mistakes; but please in no way did it warrant his life. My prayers are with the family and I do pray for the N.S. officer.
cil492000 - 11/13/2010 2:23 PM
    Sounds like this kid was another potential career criminal. Goos riddance!
smartypants - 11/13/2010 2:28 PM
    Okay I understand he was 14, however a 14 year old can shoot and kill the same way an adult can. I'm sure the officer did warn the teen for him to come out of the shed with his hands visible. Now the fact that the teen chose to lunge at the officer was something way out of line. That is pure self-defense. However a life lost is always a tragedy so my prayers are with the teen’s family right now in their time of need. Unfortunately, teens/adults do view "school cops" as a joke (no offense). However they are the teen's elders and a part of the law enforcement so do deserve some respect. Not that I am happy that this tragedy happened but these teens do need to learn some respect. Hopefully this will snap them into reality that everyone has to pay consequences for their actions. Enough is enough recently some of the NISD high schools have been under lock down for either possible gun possession or toxic fumes dropped by a student. I mean come on people why are these kids getting so out of hand. Parents Man up already and take care of your kids!!!! Teach them.... that going to school is not a playground or a daycare...for us (Other parent/faculty/staff) to be taking care of them, they should have enough home training to know right from wrong!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:13:28 AM »
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:58:44 AM by Anonymous »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Various updates
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 03:27:57 AM »
Update Northside Teen Shooting, KSAT - San Antonio

The Bexar County Medical Examiner's office has released the identity of the 14-year-old boy who was shot and killed by a Northside Independent School District police officer on Friday.
According to the medical examiner, Derek Lopez, 14, was killed by a single gunshot wound fired by Officer Daniel Alvarado, 40.
The shooting happened shortly after 4 p.m. Friday in the Santa Fe subdivision, located on Roswell Canyon, near the intersection of Highway 151 and Potranco Road.
According to a police report, Alvarado was patrolling the neighborhood and saw Lopez assaulting someone. Alvarado began chasing Lopez on foot through the neighborhood.
According to the police report, which was released on Monday, Alvarado was patrolling the neighborhood and saw Lopez assaulting someone. Alvarado began chasing Lopez on foot through the neighborhood, but "lost sight of him."
A witness reported the teen was in a backyard at a house on Roswell Canyon.
The officer didn't see him at first, but "approached the storage shed to search further for the suspect announcing several times 'Police, Police.'"
The report also stated that the "(Lopez) lunged through the doorway at (the officer) intentionally knocking the shed door into (the officer's) face."
The report further details that "Fearing for his life, (the officer) discharged one round striking (the teen) in his torso."
Gonzalez said Monday that Lopez had been expelled from Pease Middle School and then from from a Northside alternative school and was attending the Bexar County Juvenile Justice Academy.
The San Antonio Police Department is investigating the shooting.
Alvarado has been with the Northside school district for 17 years and will remain on administrative leave until the investigation is complete.

Why was he still on the force? School police officer who shot dead 14-year-old unarmed pupil had been suspended four times
By Oliver Pickup, Daily Mail Online, May 26, 2011

• Officer still in Police force - in administration role
  • Daniel Alvarado had a history of not obeying orders
  • He had been reprimand 12 times since 2006

A school police officer shot dead an unnamed 14-year-old pupil - and it has come to light that he had a history of disobeying orders and lying, and he had been suspended four times for insubordination.
School district police officer Daniel Alvarado killed Derek Lopez in November after being told to look after the victim Lopez had assaulted in the northwest side of San Antonio.
The 46-year-old disobeyed the order, and raced around the block looking for Lopez, who had run off having been told to 'freeze', and chased him into a backyard before fatally shooting the defenceless youth.
Lopez was known to be a troublemaker - he had had a troubled childhood, and had been expelled from one school and moved from many others before ending up at Bexar Juvenile Detention Centre in San Antonio.
On November 12 last year he punched an unnamed boy who was on a mobile phone - an act that Alvarado saw while in his police car.
The 17-year veteran ordered the pair to stop in their tracks, but Lopez ran off and after the police officer lost the teen on foot he called his office for help.
'I saw an assault in progress,' he told the operator. 'He punched the guy several times.'
This fact does not tally with the account of the boy who was assaulted, a schoolmate of Lopez's, who said: 'He just hit me once. It wasn't a fight. It was nothing.'
The operator ordered Alvarado to 'stay with the victim and ... concentrate on getting the info from the victim', according to mysanantonio.com.
The officer proceeded to take the boy into his patrol car and set off in search of the suspect, according to the police report.
He traced Lopez to a backyard shed nearby and shot him 'within 45 seconds of entering' according to the home owner.
While no-one by Alvarado saw the actually gun-shot, the owner, a retired nurse, thought it odd that the defenceless teen had been fired at.
Alvarado had already withdrawn his gun 'when he came up the driveway', she recalled.
After rushing out to the backyard with a towel to help the still-breathing boy, and applying pressure to the wound with the officer, she asked: 'Why did you shoot him?'
'He came at me,' he apparently told her.
In his report Alvarado wrote that he was approaching the shed with his gun drawn when the door flew open, hitting him in the face.
No witness recalled seeing any injuries to the officer's face after the shooting.
'The suspect bull rushed his way out of the shed and lunged right at me,' Alvarado said.
'The suspect was literally inches away from me, and I feared for my safety.'
The bullet was traced going through teen's chest as it ricocheted off the pancreas, colon, right liver and left kidney and exited the stomach.
A post-mortem noted a lack of gunpowder on Lopez's bloodstained T-shirt - the report concludes: 'There is no evidence of close range firing of the wound.'
The San Antonio Police Department have indicated that it was a 'justified shooting', however Alvarado has been moved to an administrative role - away from the action - after the incident.
And Bexar County lawyers have indicated that they are still investigating the death - as is Denys Lopez Moreno, the dead teen's mother, who asked a lawyer, Wally Brylak, to investigate.
And files, recently obtained by San Antionio Express News, show that the 46-year-old has been reprimanded on at least a dozen times since 2006 - and half of those occasions were because he had gone against orders.
In other cases, Alvarado failed to show up for assignments, and his supervisors appeared to suspect him of lying.
Further, documents reveal that Alvarado was suspended at least four times, and his supervisors warned him that he was close to being fired on four occasions.
However, Alvarado never was sacked.
In March 2006 one superior officer wrote an official letter to him and it read: 'Your complete disregard toward my directive was evident upon checking your reports that are still incomplete and in some cases not written at all.'
Some weeks later, Alvarado's supervisor scolded him for making 'no effort to complete said cases' and many other letters followed.
Many letters followed and in January 2008 he was suspended for one day for failing to show up for assignments.
'Any further incidents of failing to follow a directive, an assignment, or violating practices will result in immediate termination of your employment,' the suspension letter stated.
More violations followed - including two separate cases when Alvarado was suspended for collecting evidence that disappeared, including an MP3 player and fingerprint cards.
'They should've taken action a long time ago,' Mrs Moreno was quoted as saying on mysanantonio.com.
'He never followed orders. What makes you think he can deal with children?'
Spokesman for Northwest Independent School District, Pascual Gonzalez, said: 'We are aware of officer Alvarado's work history.
'While there are some documented incidents, it's important to note that they were administrative in nature, and had nothing to do with student safety.'
However David Klinger, a former police officer who's now a professor of criminology was alarmed by Alvarado's disciplinary history.
'It sounds like they knew this guy was a problem,' Mr Klinger told mysanantonio.com.
'If someone's insubordinate in a bunch of circumstances, it's logical to believe they'll be insubordinate in an important circumstance.'

Please notice that the last article is from a foreign source. I guess that they don't know how people at the top in a small community can protect their own despite their actions. While it seem that this keystone cop had been disciplined several times I am not surprised to see him on duty because we see the same type of system errors here. There are teachers, politicians, social workers and police officers who should have been given the boot decades ago, but they stay in their job damaging ordinary citizens because they have connections.

It is a tragedy for the boy and his family and I don't think that he would have got a chance if he had survived the encounter with the police officer. The system had it in for him and it was just a matter of time before he would have ended up in prison or at the morgue. It is the culture in the town which is the problem. If they have troubled kids who are hanging out in the streets after school they need to create either jobs or activities for them.

I will give three examples where we have solved some problems. In the town of Greve in Denmark they had problems with teenagers who lid fires in dumpsters putting property and people at risk. The solution was to invite every teen among the usual suspects in as cadet in the fire brigade. The number of fires are down 70 percent because the teenagers now get their adrenalin kick when they are away for weekends training to put out fires at test fields.

In the town of Farum in Denmark they had a bankrupted boat company and massive vandalism. Now the usual suspects are hired to maintain the boats and running a business where tourist can rent boats on a nearby like. The youth get some kind of bonus if the business goes well.

In the town of Oelstykke the youth burned down chairs and tables in the parks because they wanted to sit around a fire and drink beer. The officials dumped a massive pile of wood so the youth could use this wood instead of burning property. The vandalism is gone.

If the teenagers in this county is a problem active them with something useful instead of sending self-imposed supercops after them. It is just my opinion.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: "Why was he still on the force?..." - pics
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:44 AM »
Pics from Oscars article above (2nd one), "Why was he still on the force? School police officer who shot dead 14-year-old unarmed pupil had been suspended four times" (by Oliver Pickup; May 26, 2011; Daily Mail):

Northside Independent School District Police Officer Daniel Alvarado (above) shot and killed an unarmed student, Derek Lopez (below), in the backyard of a house

Lopez attended the Bexar County Juvenile Detention Centre - along with the boy he assaulted[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 11:07:48 AM »
    Finishing up the comments left for the above article in the OP, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 41-60:

ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 2:35 PM
      falcontracker its not yelling.. its to get your attention!...and if you know so much of what happened!,, F.Y.I.! Alternative school is the Districts Alternative School every district has their own and you can be sent just for skipping school or smoking a dam cigarette!.. Which was the one that teen was in.. JJA Juvenile Justice Academy is different its where those kids that are worse and where all the in the districts send those that are more out of control.. and if he was beating the girl up.. well some girls are not so innocent some are just as bad or worse!.. and you weren't there or were you?.. So you don't know exactly what really happen or do you?...And I couldn't agree more with bobrrr.. When a cop tells you to Stop, yes everyone should obey the law.. but even an Old Grown Drunk Adult don't obey the cops!.. what makes you think that a stupid scared teen will.. rumors say he lunged at the cop were you there?.. you weren't there so you can't Judge dude.. unless you were?.. and I'm not Hommie or Bro, I don't go that rought!.. it seems to me that your the Hommie that thinks he knows more than everyone else of what really happen.. but I still say to everyone never judge.. you should judge yourself first!.. He was just a kid.. and we all have sons, brothers, nephews, so don't be Quick to Judge someone because this could happen to one you love the most then what!.. are you going to say he deserved it too!... That's right Shame on all who JUDGE Matthew 7:1-5 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
    ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 2:44 PM
      I feel the pain of the loss of their love one.. My Prayers goes out to their Family... And for all those who judge him!....REMEMBER THIS! Matthew 7:1-5 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment YOU pronounce You will be judged, and with the measure YOU use it will be measured TO YOU!.
    jrfive - 11/13/2010 2:46 PM
      Hey SmartDookie, for someone whose entire post/rant was about not judging others, you sure spend a lot of time judging others. You might want to look up the word hypocrite. Look around, I'm sure there's a dictionary written in crayon you could understand. Might even have some pictures in it.
    jrfive - 11/13/2010 2:59 PM
      Dookie, hope you dont mind if i call you dookie. It sorta fits. If you read my post, without judging, you'd have been able to tell I believe the cop used excessive force. Sure the poor kid put himself in a dangerous situation, but it shouldnt have been a mistake that was bad enough to pay for with his life. I feel for his family, I'm sure he will be missed. As for all the silly, "you are dumb" comments, I rest my case. Hypocrite. Peace to the family.
    ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 3:02 PM
      That's right! RedNeckRick.. rent-a-cop wants to feel like a hero or maybe wants a promotion to a real cop wanna be position!.. its so sad that Rent-a-cop feels like a real proud hero huh... for shooting a boy in the chest and killing him!
    sa mike - 11/13/2010 3:07 PM
      Man 'o man. A lot of hate being posted on this topic today. Folks, how about everyone taking a deep breath and then wait for the outcome of the investigation before venting your collective spleens??
    ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 3:16 PM
      TRUTH OR NOT, NO ONE KNOWS THE DAMM TRUTH!.. SO DON'T JUDGE!
    ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 3:21 PM
      OH.. 1smartDookie.. and you sure do know what the man feels right now.. huh.. I want to know why wasn't SAPD called first! answer that!
    jrfive - 11/13/2010 3:27 PM
      Ok Dookie, last post for you, i have to run. I think you'd be surprised to find out how much i would know about excessive force. Again, you jump to the assumption you know about me, while saying everyone else shouldn't assume. Hypocrite. While there can always be extenuating circumstances, facts are, 14 year old unarmed male vs. trained adult peace officer. I stand by my assumption. Again, to the family, I wish you the best in a horrible situation. Peace.
    ROCKY1 - 11/13/2010 3:38 PM
      I APOLOGIZE FOR EVERYONE!... PLEASE!.. NOW SHUT UP EVERYONE!..LET IT GO NOW... WE ALL HAD TO SAY HOW WE FELT!.. NOW LET THIS POOR BOY REST IN PEACE NOW!..WE SHOULD ALL PRAY FOR HIS FAMILY NOW.. AND MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THE FAMILY AND MAY THE LORD GIVE THEM COMFORT NOW!...
    cher01 - 11/13/2010 4:00 PM
      Cops are scary. I do not blame this young man for turning to run. Hell, if I saw a cop coming toward me, I'd run too, and I have no reason to run, other than being afraid. They used to be here to Protect and Serve. Now, their new motto is "To shoot and kill" The hell you have been thru in your short 14 years of life is now over. Rest in peace little boy.
    Brokenhearted - 11/13/2010 4:09 PM
      This is so sad that so many people express such negativity at such a sad moment. Truth of the matter is a young child was killed! There was another student who witnessed this all and stated the student was being harrased by another student who wanted to fight him. The child that was shot did not want to fight but started to defend himself. The cop showed up and he ran because he was on probation for some small crime he had committed and was scared to go to jail. They both jumped a fence and the cop was embarrased that the child was outrunning him so he shot him in the head. Now i do not know how true this is I do know the students who wittnessed it are traumatized and say the cop could of shot him elswhere to avoid killing him. As for you all thinking he was a thug you are wrong. Yes he made poor choices but was not capable of killing someone! The JJA can be court or school ordered and the students there have made poor choices and instead of you judging step up and help make a difference. It sickens me that many of you could be so heartless at a time like this, and I hope for your sake you will never have to go through something like this ever!!
    Cheesylouise - 11/13/2010 4:48 PM
      I feel bad for the family having to go through the loss of a child. Such a terrible story.
    fed up - 11/13/2010 5:29 PM
      Brokenhearted, your information is incorrect. Please don't publish what your don't know. You state yourself that you don't know what is true and what isn't. I cannot tell what because of the ongoing investigation but what you have written is off target.
    Nasshi - 11/13/2010 6:20 PM
      It says in the story it's not yet clear if the teen had a weapon. Unless this boy had a gun, or was coming at the officer with an axe.. I'd have to say a headshot seems excessive. I wasn't there, nor am I a cop, but I'd imagine that officer is suffering a bit for having made that choice... justified or not. Noone becomes a cop for the joy of shooting children. My question is, where was the tazer?
    RedNeckRick - 11/13/2010 6:44 PM
      Amazing how my comment about how a rent-a-cop was allowed to act as a certified law enforcement officer was deleted. Again, the rent-a-cops for the district should and an are only certified in school zones and on campuses. Any action outside those parameters are subject to local law. If assaulting anyone outside those parameters, the individual should and will be subject to the statue that is set for all citizens.
    WillisJordan - 11/13/2010 7:18 PM
      They do a lot of deleting in these parts, Rick. They aren't too in to freedom of speech. Sometimes, you will have a hard time figuring out why you were deleted. I think they let a lot of people at their station have access to this site and I suspect some of them are just the kind of people who will delete you if they disagree with you. That's pretty cheesy.
    SAdweller - 11/13/2010 7:48 PM
      Northside Independent School District police officer had no right to chase and kill the teen
    SA Native - 11/13/2010 7:58 PM
      NISD is going to fire the Police Officer. You know how hard it is to keep a revenue producing child in school now a days. We I went to school besides the rocks we used to write with, if a kid did something wrong, you were really suspended. Now they want the kid to be in alternate school to keep the revenue. What ever happened to do the crime do the time?
    sant0rum - 11/13/2010 8:07 PM
      Alvin, you need to stop posting this stuff about devils and angels. This story was about a conflict between the police and some teenager. Shame on you for suggesting it had something to do with the Catholic church and confession. It's not a lost symbol, unless you mean about your mind, fool.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 11:26:42 AM »
    More comments left for the above article, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 61-80:

Foxfire7 - 11/13/2010 8:07 PM
      A loss of one so young makes you wonder what happened in this boys life to end up being shot dead. Out of control and then out of luck. Many young boys grow up in such toxic environments these days that it is no surprise when this happens. He probably never had a chance.
    sant0rum - 11/13/2010 8:14 PM
      Thanks, Foxfire. I think a lot of America does not understand George Bush and what he did for this country. Your insight is astounding. I saw the report last week where his Mother showed him the fetus in a jar after she had a miscarriage.
    DunoNuthin - 11/13/2010 8:59 PM
      LOL at the comments on both sides. Fact of the matter is, it sucks ass that a kid of 14 was killed by a peace officer. Sadly, if it didn't happen now, it was only a matter of time. Seems this kid was well on the road to being a career criminal.
    justplaintired - 11/14/2010 12:30 AM
      RedNeckRick, You're posting things you obviously don't know anything about. School officers are TECLOS certified. That means they are police officers. They are empowered by the State of Texas to enforce any and all laws. Now what school policy is, can be a different story. Folks like you need to just read the story and reframe from commenting.
    Dog Mama - 11/14/2010 1:51 AM
      Who is this NISD police officer that shot and killed a young student. Please,the police alway say they feared for their life of some silly excuse that justifies their actions. We need this officers picture posted so that all of San Antonio will know the Teen Killer wannbe cop is; and God Bless the young boy's mother.
    proudnative - 11/14/2010 2:19 AM
      hey redneck ... kindly wake up and get an education PRIOR to posting some silly comment about "rent a cops" when you obviously know NOTHING about who these police officers are! The fact is that every NISD officer is a certified peace officer and I can attest to their commitment to children! The THUG in question may have been young, but was not someone you would even open your door to, much less welcome into your home. This was a hardened criminal, destined to create chaos and destruction in a civilized society..... ie: no loss!
    retiredgolfer - 11/14/2010 4:59 AM
      MURDER - End of story
    Deepcscott - 11/14/2010 8:19 AM
      You get home from the juvenile jail school because you were expelled from the public school, you can't seem to keep your hands to yourself and punch some other kid at the bus stop, you run from the police and then fight the officer. What other way was this going to turn out? The officer saved the tax payer money in jail lodging, court time, clothing and upkeep of another punk that couldn't get in line with the rest of society, because he doesn't need to follow the law like the rest of us. Too bad, so sad. No excuses.
    WillisJordan - 11/14/2010 8:38 AM
      He was 14 years old, in a fight and he ran away from the police. That kind of behavior deserves a good spanking. I know there are some unusually large 14 year olds who could pose a risk for a grown man in a fight, but there aren't many. I haven't seen anything that says what a big, hulking brute he was. I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but there needs to be a really good excuse from this policeman that I am waiting to hear. It is pretty hard to imagine a scenario where this grown man, who knew where the kid was and couldn't be ambushed by him, had to shoot and kill a 14 year old boy. I was never violent and never a fighting type, but I was a nasty little turd and I can't remember how many times I got thrown out of school. Today I own two businesses, employ a number of people, pay taxes and have kids and grandchildren of my own. If the police killed little 14 year old turds for running from the school police when I was this kid's age, they would have done me in 40 years ago.
    sandymike - 11/14/2010 10:09 AM
      justplaintired, though i disagree with redneck ricks comments, i would like to welcome you to AMERICA, where we all get to have and voice out opinions. its called freedom. just because you don't like or agree with a comment made by someone else doesn't mean he or she doesn't have the right to post it. proudnative just because they have a teclos cert doesn't mean they are good police officers. a good many of them are thugs that we've given the authority to carry a gun and enforce way more laws then we should have to begin with. i am a truck driver (fuel hauler with a haz mat endorsement) with four million accident free miles. those certifications (class a cdl and haz-mat endors.) don't mean squat when it comes to what kind of driver i am. fact is i see an awful lot of truck drivers out ther who have no bus. being there. same thing with cops just because they have the certification doesn't mean they should be there. it doesn't make them good cops.
    sandymike - 11/14/2010 10:13 AM
      wow, they deleted redneck ricks comment but not 1smartdookie's, WOW
    Joe Hill - 11/14/2010 11:36 AM
      I don't know what to think about this killing. I do know this. There is a fascist hiding out at WOAI and that fascist likes to delete anything a man writes if the fascist doesn't like it. It goes on all the time. The government ought to sieze this site and make it more amenable to the needs of the People. Fascists Out! Dare to struggle; Dare to Win!
    infamousdb - 11/14/2010 12:02 PM
      infamousdb, Criminals are born out of an environment of oppression. No, means to accomplish anything causes adverse reasoning. As for this Kids future, he doesn't have one now should be the focus of a human response. Shame on all you fools'
    sa mike - 11/14/2010 12:44 PM
      joe hill- come down off your "all power to the people" rant. Posts get deleted because some idiots can't or won't abide by the rules. Click on the "Report User" icon and you'll find out why things get taken down. There's been a lot of ranting and raving on this topic in the past 24 hours and to a degree that's good. It lets people vent their frustrations. Where the line is crossed is profanity and making threats. If you have any other questions about why certain posts are taken down, ask Alvin Moss. He's an expert. His main problem with posts is that he can't or won't stick to the topic. He just goes off on his pre-programed rant, no matter what the topic.
    felontracker - 11/14/2010 12:44 PM
      If you only knew how many of these school cops ARE retired SAPD, Bexar County, Dallas, Houston police officers not to mention police officers that have worked for other municipalities, DPS and other states. Many are also retired military police with over twenty years of service and training and have been to war and back in Iraq and Aphganistan. Many of these officers ARE verteran officers that have paid their dues on the streets and in the dunes. I did some research and read some bios. Every School District Police Chief In San Antonio and Austin has been a high ranking officer at either SAPD or another large municipality. School district police officers are certified pease officers 24/7 and have the same authority as SAPD or Bexar County. This reminds me of the SAISD officer that shot and killed that guy who was breaking into cars at a middle school a few years back. That thug was out on parole for the same crime he was doing when the officer shot and killed him. He was shot just prior to running down the officer with his car. But wait...he was a good boy said his mommy. Yea right! a real model citizen who may have even run for mayor. Gee, where can I get his campaign sign to put in my front yard. These guys were just another thug that refused to obey the officers commands. In both situations the thug went at the cop. The other with his car and this one lunged at the officer from a shed. That is something you just don't do. These officers had to make a split second decision. The comments were the same then as they are now by many of you misinformed folks. He was a trigger happy cop, rent a cop, they have no business carrying guns, he was out if his jurisdiction etc. Again as I had posted earlier,If it would have been the homeowner that shot and killed this thug for being in his shed, you all would have been cheering another win for the good guys. That officer then and this officer now did their jobs and took another criminal off the streets. CASE CLOSED.
    proudnative - 11/14/2010 1:16 PM
      to those of you who think that this kid deserved a "spanking" or some other slap on the wrist .... Please know that it takes acts of MAJOR violence etc to get yourself expelled from Alternative school. Kids are sent to alternative because they are dangerous to either themselves or to their classmates, they get expelled from there and sent to JJA because they are seriously out of control! There is a limit to what public schools should have within their walls .... this kid was beyond those limits. I assure you that you would NOT have wanted this THUG anywhere near you and certainly not near innocent children.
    bobrrr - 11/14/2010 2:22 PM
      Give the cop more bullets and put him back on the streets ASAP.
    hockey fan - 11/14/2010 2:39 PM
      Felontracker, Thanks for the research. Lets wait for the investigation to conclude before we pass judgment. Two families are devastated this weekend, and all many can do is make statements based on facts that we do not have.
    sa mike - 11/14/2010 5:04 PM
      hockey fan- At last a voice of reason! Thank-you, you're a rare rational voice on this topic today.
    SANANTONIO1 - 11/14/2010 8:51 PM
      my kid goes to the same school(pease)same grade as that boy was. that boy didnt have to die and the cop shouldn't have fired the gun unless the boy had a weapon. i feel so bad for the family that has to go through the lost of the boy.):

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Comments: "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chas
    « Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 11:35:56 AM »
    Comments left for the above article, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 81-100:

Brokenhearted - 11/14/2010 9:41 PM
      You guys make me so mad!! KNow your facts!! Kids can go to JJA for numerous reasons, one court ordered two school ordered! Alot of them were tired of being bullied so they took a weapon to protect them self! My child was there because someone handed them tylenol and they were caught with it!! KNOW YOUR FACTS!!!
    Esther - 11/15/2010 8:16 AM
      My heart goes out to this boys family. This is a heartbreaking loss that no parent should have to go thru. I see alot of comments focusing on his age, and I'd like to point out that I'm sure this cop wasn't aware this kid was 14. And even if he did know, there is no way he could have known the kid was not armed. Had this kid been at home where he belonged, maybe this ugly incident could have been avoided.
    wilkim45yes - 11/15/2010 7:41 PM
      WOW I AM SPEECHLESS! Just saw this kids mom on KSAT12 at 6pm. She's crying to the camera's PROCLAIMING her son was "GOOD BOY". I wonder what HER DEFINITION of a "BAD BOY" is?
    wilkim45yes - 11/15/2010 7:51 PM
      @felontracker: In OUR WORLD you are absolutely right. In THEIR WORLD (those who are bashing this Officer) your post is falling of deaf ears, these people remind me of a book I read several years back titled PIGS DON'T KNOW PIGS STINK.
    suninnovember - 11/15/2010 11:35 PM
      I knew this child personally. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear that a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD UN-ARMED boy was SHOT DEAD! Not shot to be IMMOBILIZED! What happened to the tazer or pepper spray, even baton for heaven's sake?? Was this officer not trained!? If the boy had a weapon wouldn't the officer had said so? This alone doesn't justify him having to be shot as a way defense. Anyone knows when a person carries a powerful weapon like a gun a sense of power can overcome even the most timid person. For this I say two things, Training and Lose your EGO! As for all the commentors on "ridding this place of another future criminal" and "human waste" it makes me sick to know there are people out there that hurt others for pure enjoyment or selfish gain and by every thread of being I feel they deserve to be put out, but definately not this boy! As a child, he grew up in a rough family environment with not much affection and encouragement from the people he needed it from the most which made him express himself the only ways he knew he could. With the given circumstances over the years, it hurts to think that maybe I COULD have been a good alternative influence on him. We don't see something coming until it has already past. If you're reading this and you feel that you have something to share, by all means, don't be like me and regret missing that chance. I want to shed light on a truth. This boy was still VERY YOUNG, at any point in his life SOMETHING or SOMEONE could have shown him something to strive for. SOMETHING he didn't see within himself SOME BRAVE SOUL could have helped him see it. GOD BLESS the all the great teachers of this planet on salary or voluntarily helping someone see their own potential. It really doesn't take much effort to make a WORLD of difference in someone's life. Saying these words are all I can do now with a heavy heart. THANK YOU all the good people who have a soul. Keep speaking and typing your words of love and faith. This world needs YOU!
    suninnovember - 11/15/2010 11:45 PM
      May you Rest In Peace Derek Lopez. God knows you will be missed!
    suninnovember - 11/15/2010 11:58 PM
      As for the running away from an officer of the law, please tell me what fourteen-year old who already sees himself getting into MORE trouble WOULDN'T RUN and HIDE out of FIRST REACTION? Let's get back in touch with REALITY PEOPLE, human instinct + a child mentality = MISTAKES. WE ALL KNOW THAT! It's up to the adults with their entrusted power to make the WISE judgements!
    speakonit - 11/16/2010 12:44 AM
      TO ALL OF THOSE WHO KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT THE COP,THE KID,HIS PARENTS. DID YOU KNOW HE WAS TRYING TO GET THE OFFICERS FIREARM???? DID NOT THINK SO! HE IS A POLICE OFFICER. NOT ALL ARE GOOD, BUT NOT ALL ARE BAD. ITS CALLED A LIFE OR DEATH DECISION.IF HE GOT THE GUN HE MAY HAVE BECOME A COP KILLER. DO WE NEED MORE COP KILLERS? DO WE NEED MORE KIDS IN PRISON ON DEATH ROW? EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO THIER OWN OPINION. BUT REMEMBER YOU WERE NOT THERE!!!
    speakonit - 11/16/2010 12:52 AM
      SUNINNOVEMBER I WAS RAISED IN A ROUGH AREA,S.PRESA AND SOUTHCROSS. I WAS SHOT IN A DRIVEBYE,AND HAVE BEEN IN MORE FIGHTS THAN I CAN REMEMBER. I RESPECT POLICE, AND DO NOT RUN FROM THEM. I HAVE HAD A HARD LIFE, AND STILL HAVE A HARD LIFE. ITS NO EXCUSE TO COMMIT CRIMES. IM SORRY DEREK LOST HIS LIFE, BUT DID HIS PARENTS TEACH HIM RIGHT FROM WRONG????
    TexCountry - 11/16/2010 7:34 AM
      Well one less THUG to worry about!!!!!!
    felontracker - 11/16/2010 9:21 AM
      @wilkim45yes, Just like the other momma a few years back...He was a good boy. A good boy that was out on parole for the same offence he was commiting when the officer shot him for running him down with the car. I sure wish I could see one of this kid former teachers post a character reference for this kid. I heard that this kid had been arrested several times for assault, disorderly conduct fighting, graffiti and drug possession. He was "allegedly" also a member of some gang that goes by the initials S.R. Oh yea, a real model citizen. Let's see what we have so far on the day leading up to his death. 1. Assault on someone 2. Disobeyed the orders of the police officer that "WITNESSED" the assault in progress 3. Resisting detention or arrest when he ran from the police 4. Burglary when he broke into some homeowners shed who didn't know him from squat. 5. Assault on a Police Officer when he kicked the door and hit the officer in the face after the officer clearly identifyed himself as "POLICE" "POLICE" 6. Possibly went for the officers gun. WOW! He really was a good boy Mommy & Grandma. I'm gonna have to buy that book you mention. "Pigs Don't Know Pigs Stink" To suninnovember...funny how you folks always seem to come out when it's already to late. Gee...what if I would have intervened ??? We'll never know now will we...
    ROCKY1 - 11/16/2010 10:25 AM
      EXCUSES...EXCUSES.... THE PUBLIC WOULD LIKE TO KNOW... HOW MANY TIMES THIS NSISD COP HAS USED EXCESSIVE OE EXTREME FORCE OR HAS GOTTEN OUT OF CONTROL ON THE STUDENTS?.. HOW MANY TIMES HE HAS FEARED FOR HIS LIFE WITH A KID?.... DOES HE THINK HE'S SUPER COP? " IF YOU RUN.. I'LL KILL YOU BOY!"... IF HE FEARS TEENS SO BAD THAT HE HAS THE NEED TO PUT THEM DOWN.. HE NEEDS TO GET A NEW CAREER!...I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT HE WOULD DO AS A SADP OFFICER!.. WE ALL LIKE TO SEE HIS TRACK RECORD!.. ALL STUDENTS SHOULD ALL COME OUT AND SAY OR HE'LL KEEP DOING THIS!.. OR THEY MAYBE NEXT!...
    ROCKY1 - 11/16/2010 10:27 AM
      EXCUSES.....EXCUSES.... THE PUBLIC WOULD LIKE TO KNOW... HOW MANY TIMES THIS NSISD COP HAS USED EXCESSIVE OR EXTREME FORCE OR HAS GOTTEN OUT OF CONTROL ON THE STUDENTS?.. HOW MANY TIMES HE HAS FEARED FOR HIS LIFE WITH A KID?.... DOES HE THINK HE'S SUPER COP? " IF YOU RUN.. I'LL KILL YOU BOY!"... IF HE FEARS TEENS SO BAD THAT HE HAS THE NEED TO PUT THEM DOWN.. HE NEEDS TO GET A NEW CAREER!...I CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT HE WOULD DO AS A SADP OFFICER!.. WE ALL LIKE TO SEE HIS TRACK RECORD!.. ALL STUDENTS SHOULD ALL COME OUT AND SAY OR HE'LL KEEP DOING THIS!.. OR THEY MAYBE NEXT!...
    mdvball17 - 11/16/2010 10:33 AM
      My comment goes out to all you heartless people posting comments about a child and a family you DIDN'T know from squat.....Who are you to judge these people?? Did you live in their home? Were you there for the past 14 yrs of this boys life. I didn't think so. The last time I checked the only person who has a right to judge people is God. So stop passing judgement on people you dont even know. What does this tell me about how you people were raised? I mean, didnt your parents ever teach you not to judge people. Were you raised so perfect that you never got into trouble? C'mon lets be real no one has perfect parents. I hope none of you heartless people have children. I'd hate for something like this to happen to your child whether an accident or not and see how you would like it when people post such ugly things about your child or about you and your parenting skills. If your gonna post something have some consideration about the pain that Derek's family is going through. To Derek's family....My thoughts and prayers are with you through this terrible tragedy. May God give you the strength to get through it all. God Bless you and your family.
    felontracker - 11/16/2010 12:54 PM
      This goes out to mdvball17... Read THIS and try to dispute it! A felon in the making since the age of 9.
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... 98319.html[/list]
    mdvball17 - 11/16/2010 3:48 PM
      @Felontracker.....Who do you think you are to sit a judge this kid? Alot of kids go through rough phases in their lives the way Derek did. That does not make them felons. I have seen kids go through life's hardships and turn out to be very respected men. I can only sit here and wonder if you have nothing better to do than sit and judge people. Derek may not have been a role model kid and I never said he was but he did not derserve this. There are different ways this could have been handled and it wasn't. That was poor judgement of the officer. You must not have kids or not know what it's like to lose a child. If this was your child you would be singing a different tune. And I'm sure all the hurtful comments these ignorant people are leaving would hurt you just as much as they are hurting Derek's family.
    suninnovember - 11/16/2010 7:34 PM
      felontracker, have you ever heard the phrase "It takes a village to raise a child". I'd like you to remember a time in your life that someone, other than your family members, inspired something in you in one way or another, no matter how small or large the inspiration was. Not all people have those kinds of blessings in life. By no means am I pointing fingers to ANYONE, parents, grandparents, ect. are NOT perfect nor should we ever expect them to be. All I'm saying is it never hurts to reach out of our own comfort zone. Maybe it would be a good idea to read that pig book because it might teach you something about yourself.. heartless.. let's hope you never have to be judged the way you do to others. If you think you have something to teach someone it wouldn't be a bad idea to volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Life is never going to be black and white and we should keep that in mind. Nor is life or opportunities the same for everyone so we CAN'T sit here and judge another fellow human being. We can't know what we would have done in the exact same circumstances. All we can do is keep our faith in humanity and inspire that faith in others. Use your talents to help others instead of sitting smugly thinking "well we're safe for now" "I've got my fence, cameras, and gun, we should be good". Let's not forget we might be being tested in this life. Rest in Peace Derek Lopez.
    suninnovember - 11/16/2010 7:58 PM
      Oh and I revoke my earlier comment on "..environment with not much affection and encouragement from..." I'm sorry for offending anyone having said this and you're right, I WASN'T there for all 14 years of his life so I DON'T know everything and I am no one to talk. I was just feeling enraged and helpless so please accept my appology. I meant no harm.
    elontracker - 11/16/2010 10:34 PM
      Apparently you (suni/mdvball) didn't read the mysanantonio.com story I linked in my earlier post. Just copy and paste the link to your address line it will take you straight there. This is coming from an interview with Northside I.S.D. Public Information Officer Pasqual Gonzales. This kid was kicked out of elementary school at the age of nine. Come on people...who gets kicked out of elementary school. Oh yea! a future felon. He has multiple arrests for assault and fighting. He has felony charges and/or convictions for graffiti and drug possession while attending alternative "Middle School" which was what had him sent to J.J.A. "Juvenile Justice" Academy...a state school for felons. He was recently kicked out of J.J.A. Come on folks! That is strait from the School District's go to guy. Next thing you're going to post is that Pasqual Gonzalez is a lier and also not telling the truth. This police officer did our city justice and saved us law abiding tax paying citizens a ton of money that would have been used to house, feed and try to rehabilatate this felon. Apparently you also did not understand the metaphore...pigs don't know pigs stink...or here's an easier one for you...birds of a feather, flock together... Still don't get it? I know, I know...they were only little felonies.
    mdvball17 - 11/17/2010 4:19 PM
      @Felontracker......You are one ignorant human being. I read your link and I saw wat it said about Derek but that doesnt give me a right to sit here and call him a felon. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that God see's everything. I hope you never endure the pain that Derek's family is going through. I also hope you are never judged in the manner that you are judging him. Since you have no compassion regarding this situation at least have some damn respect. It's ignorant and judgemental people like you that make kids like Derek and the world we live in that much harder to deal with. May god bless your heartless soul.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
    (Probably last) comments left for the above article, "NISD officer shoots and kills teen after chase" (11/12/2010, NEWS 4 WOAI), #s 101-104:

suninnovember - 11/17/2010 7:56 PM
      Felontracker, I got the whole pig & bird metaphors. Look, I don't condone the actions of a misbehaving child. But there are other ways of handling our troubled youth, and I guarantee shooting all of them is not the solution. Do you see what I'm saying? I understand that he was causing trouble for himself since he was younger, but what about the officer who is supposed to be trained to handle young "trouble makers" like himself. If my kid went to a school that hired officers who were ready to use deadly force to handle any situation do you think I'd be confident, knowing all the values I show him or her, to let them attend such a place? I know right off the bat I'd be thinking, "What if my good kid happened to get caught up with the wrong people and he or she was targeted by deadly force because of it?.." I know they would be trying to dig up all the dirt possible on my child to justify the sloppy mistake of an officer. I'm also pretty sure if this child belonged to someone in the police force they'd also be singing a different tune. Yes this one had behavioral issues, but by the way you speak it sounds like you aren't aware of the power of influence. I, like yourself, don't want to pay for the actions law violators, but what do we do to help the situation besides cheer on the sidelines for either side? Believe it or not, this whole thing opened my eyes a little on what I CAN do, and trust me, I will live everyday of the rest of my life trying my best at it. People CAN change, we don't spray all the bad ones hoping no more will ever show up. We can't keep doing what doesn't work..I hope you understand where I'm coming from. If anything, I hope God touches your heart and make you realize some things you might be missing out on. God Bless
    lovemylife2 - 11/19/2010 12:42 AM
      IF THE BOY REACHED FOR THE GUN HOW THE HECK DID THE OFFICER SHOOT HIM IN HIS CHEST????? I DONT BUY THAT STORY, AND AS MOST SAY HE WAS A "BAD KID, FUTURE FELON" YOU DONT KNOW THAT FOR SURE, HOW MANY OF YOU WERE GANG MEMBERS, PUNK ROCKERS, HIPPIES, ETC??? WE ALL GO THROUGH PHASES IN OUR LIVES I KNOW I DID. CHANCES ARE HE COULD HAVE REALIZED HIS BAD PATH ONE DAY AND BE A DR, LAWYER, PROBATION OFFICE, "NISD OFFICER". WHO KNOWS BUT BECAUSE OF A SMALL INCCEDINT HE IS GONE NOW, TO A BETTER PLACE BECAUSE EVEN OUR FATHER "THE ONLY ONE WITH RIGHT TO JUDGE" HAS FORGIVEN HIM FOR HIS MINOR WRONGS IN LIFE AND HAS TAKEN HIM INTO HIS ARMS. AT 14 YOUR STILL GROWING, MATURING SEEING WHO YOU WANNA BE. I ASK MY 13 YEAR OLD SON WHAT HE WANTS TO DO IN LIFE AND HES NOT EVEN SURE YET. COME ON HE GOT IN A FIGHT AND RAN AWAY FROM A COP CAUSE HE DIDNT WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE. WHO WOULDNT TRY AND RUN? ITS SAD EVERYONE IS BLAMING THE MOTHER I DONT THINK SHE DESERVERS THAT, IT IS HARD RAISING TEENS AND ESPECIALLY BOYS. SO INSTEAD WE SHOULD ALL GIVE OUR CONDOLENCES TO THE MOTHER JUST IMAGINE FINDING OUT YOUR SON WAS SHOT HOW WOULD YOU FEEL?? GOD BLESS THE FAMILY OF THIS BOY I HOPE JUSTCE IS SERVED AND THE OFFICER PAY FOR HIS WRONG ACTIONS. "DEREK RIP"
    ferguson - 5/28/2011 3:03 AM
      i'm sure as the officer was chasing this kid through the neighborhood he was yelling questions like, "Hey were you convicted of any crimes or kicked out of school?" how the hell did the officer know who the kid was and that he was dangerous? so dangerous he had his gun drawn ready to blast the kid. i'm sure the kids record came out AFTER he was killed. so the shooting cannot be justified based on his criminal record imo.
    Ltl Professor - 5/28/2011 10:26 AM
      This boy's actions and reputation reminds me of my brother. He was always in trouble and was expelled from 10th grade. After getting his GED to join the Marines, they straightened his butt out in about 24 hours, or else. He became a good Marine, and from there he got a degree in Engineering and became a darned good Engineer. I don't know what this kid could have done, but I doubt that killing was the answer. This cop is symptomatic of the growing police state in America. Everyone, cops included, should be held responsible for the consequences of their actions. This cop should be charged and tried for manslaughter.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Northside ISD officer shoots man
    « Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »
    Here's a few more articles from shortly after this tragedy occurred:

San Antonio Express-News

Northside ISD officer shoots man
    A police officer with the Northside Independent School District was involved in a fatal shooting on the far West Side Friday afternoon.

By Guillermo X. Garcia
    Published 04:16 p.m., Friday, November 12, 2010

A Northside Independent School District police officer fatally shot a youth after chasing him in a far West Side neighborhood late Friday afternoon, San Antonio police said.

The officer was in the neighborhood responding to a burglary call and was chasing someone who had been involved in a fight, authorities said.

The youth hid in a shed outside the house where the shooting occurred in the 200 block of Roswell Canyon, police spokesman Matthew Porter said.

When discovered, the suspect lunged at the officer, who fired once, said Pascual Gonzalez, the school district's public information officer. Gonzalez said he was "school-aged" but not a Northside student.

The names of the officer and the youth were not released.

It was the second officer-involved shooting in as many days. On Thursday, four San Antonio police officers were shot while executing a search warrant at a suspect's East Side home. The suspect was apprehended at the scene.

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    The shock lingers after teen's death
    « Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »
    San Antonio Express-News

The shock lingers after teen's death
    A tense quiet settled over the Trails of Santa Fe on Saturday, a day after a deadly confrontation between a Northside Independent School District police officer and a teenager.

By Guillermo X. Garcia
    Published 09:42 p.m., Saturday, November 13, 2010

A tense quiet settled over the Trails of Santa Fe on Saturday, a day after a deadly confrontation between a Northside Independent School District police officer and a teenager.

For residents of the tree-lined neighborhood dominated by two-story brick homes, the memory of why dozens of police cars, ambulances, TV trucks, glaring lights and helicopters whirring overhead were there remained fresh:

A 14-year-old was shot dead.

"This area is so quiet, I still can't get a handle about what happened," said one woman, walking hand-in-hand with her husband Saturday evening less than 25 yards from the crime scene, a backyard in the 200 block of Roswell Canyon. "Everybody knows each other, and it is so hard to accept that this actually happened here."

Like many of her neighbors, the woman wanted to talk - but did not want to be identified because everyone knows one another, or because they know, and did not want to upset, the family of the dead teenager.

Authorities said they would not release his identity until Monday.

Officials said the boy's autopsy was performed Saturday.

However, they also will not release the findings - or the name of the police officer - until Monday.

San Antonio police are investigating the case, even though the officer involved was a member of a school district police department.

School district police are responsible for providing security on school campuses.

They also patrol within the district's boundaries.

Because they are commissioned peace officers, they can respond to calls in areas adjoining their district, and sometimes are called on to assist local police.

The officer had been on patrol duty Friday, NISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said.

"For now, we want to protect (the officer) this weekend and give him time to deal with this very devastating incident," he said.

Gonzalez noted the incident was the first time in a decade a school district officer had pulled his weapon, and it was perhaps the first time a district officer had killed a suspect.

He added that the veteran officer, who is being provided counseling, is "deeply traumatized by this."

Gonzalez said the incident began when the officer happened upon a fight between two boys.

"One youth ran and the officer pursued him," he said, but the officer lost sight of him.

He said a homeowner flagged down the officer and told him someone was hiding in his backyard shed.

Gonzalez said that as the officer approached, the youth "pushed open the shed doors and somehow lunged at the officer," which triggered a brief scuffle that ended when the officer fired once.

It was not clear when the officer pulled his weapon.

© 2011 Hearst Communications Inc.