Author Topic: OCD Sound Sensitivity  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
OCD Sound Sensitivity
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:10 PM »
Some sounds annoy me a little, while other sounds drive me batty!  These specific sounds are so annoying, that I get anxious or stressed to the point of agitation and anxiety.

I hate loud chewing, open mouth breathing, kissing sounds (only if it’s one set of lips like someone kissing a hand), dry skin being touched, tapping, leaky faucets and most of all ticking clocks.  I bought the coolest new alarm clock and within minutes of it being on, I took out it’s batteries.  I can’t sleep with any noise.  I think certain sounds bother me because I am already tense and it’s kind of like feeling tense or nervous and having someone poke you on the back repeatedly sending you surges of nervousness.

Being easily irritated to certain sounds is called: Soft Sound Sensitivity and for whatever reason, a lot of people with OCD seem to have it.

Most common sounds that annoy people with this specific sensitivity are: ticking clocks, animals grooming, chewing, tapping, nose whistles, and when people say the “S” sound.  For some people, it causes irritation and anger, while for others it’s more severe and can cause physical side effects like vomiting.

Some people wear ear plugs, but  I’ve never tried that.  If there is a leaky faucet, I fix it or find a way to cover the noise like with a fan.  I don’t use ticking clocks and as far as sounds that are out of my control like mouth breathing, I try to avoid that, plug my ears or drown out the sounds.  Avoidance seems to be the easiest solution for me since the problem is not bothering me all the time.  I get bothered when I hear that stuff, but I don’t hear that stuff all the time, so I can just deal with it.

http://ocddiary.wordpress.com/2010/01/0 ... ensitivity
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: OCD Sound Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:12 AM »
Fro, you must be a pain in the ass to live with, since everyone's gotta be a PITA to you. Everyone, man. Holy crap. You'll have to play punk all day long to mask soft sounds and take ambien to sleep.

--loli :rasta:  :rasta:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »
Quote from: "Boo Boo"
You'll have to play punk all day long to mask soft sounds and take ambien to sleep.

--loli :rasta:  :rasta:

Music helps, for sure. Sleep not a problem.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Quote from: "Boo Boo"
Fro, you must be a pain in the ass to live with, since everyone's gotta be a PITA to you. Everyone, man. Holy crap.

No, not a pain at all (at least in that sense). I am cool about it to a fault, perhaps; people can sometimes do things that irritate to no end, but I don't always tell them about it (can't stand creating conflict)...I may drop a hint now and then, but if they're too thick to get it, I try and get away from them, if possible...and they are usually left being none the wiser...

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
//bump\

ps: anyone wanna delete the spam on this forum?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »