Author Topic: THe Dahlonega Nugget  (Read 11888 times)

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
THe Dahlonega Nugget
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
http://http://www.thedahloneganugget.com/articles/2011/07/20/news/03%20ridgecreek.txt

News
Ridge Creek Academy said to be closing doors
By Matt Aiken
Published:
Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:50 AM EDT
The doors are apparently closing at Ridge Creek Academy, according to officials with the Lumpkin County Sheriff's Office.

“We were told that they were shutting down this week and students would be out by the end of the week,” said Investigator Darren Martin.

The therapeutic boarding school, formerly known as Hidden Lake Academy, has been located at the end of Camp Wahsega Road for 17 years. At its height it was one of the top employers in Lumpkin County and had an enrollment of over 150 students from throughout the country. For many years tuition was around $5,000 per month.

However, enrollment began to drop drastically in 2006 when news broke of a class action lawsuit against the school by a group of dissatisfied parents. In the suit, the plaintiffs alleged everything from misappropriation of funds to the willful acceptance of violent students.

The matter was reportedly settled out of court.

Earlier this year, school employees reportedly complained that they were not consistently receiving their paychecks on time.

“I had one whole month that I wasn't paid,” said Wallace Seabolt, who worked as a science teacher for five months.

Seabolt said enrollment dropped to 22 students at one time during his tenure and he often struggled to teach his class with limited supplies.

“We were understaffed,” he said. “We didn't have the school materials that we needed to do the job.”

Seabolt said he was laid-off with a large group of employees in mid-May.

Martin said that the sheriff's office was contacted this week by an employee of Ridge Creek requesting increased patrolling during the closure.

Owner Len Buccellato did not return a call seeking comment.

Copyright © 2011 - The Dahlonega Nugget

Well, Mr. Jay Wansley Assistant Director of Advanc-Ed (SACS) and Director Mike Bryans - Wallace Seabolt Science Teacher, along with Foy Tootle History teacher were gone.  There was no Special Education teacher,there was one on hold for June, but Buccellato held off until enrollment picked up.  So the Special Needs children were without a Special Ed. program. There was no Director of Education as required.  Yet, the Accreditation team in February gave RCS "ACCOLADES"...According Mr. Seabolt, there were no supplies.  Your team did really well.  Mr. Wansley and Mr. Bryans should submit their resignation.  They were informed months back and did nothing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
Re: THe Dahlonega Nugget
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21:44 AM »
I can't wait for Advance-Ed to explain this one!

And no Special Ed teacher even though there were many kids who had IEPs? I'd say the ORS did a wonderful job ensuring those kids were well protected and receiving the proper treatment that was PAID for by parents and the taxpayers.

Offline Jambo86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »
It's a pretty shocking state of affairs particularly from a teachers point of view.

The fact is that any teacher working in an environment where they don't have the resources all the way down to furniture for schools and basic supplies is going to become somewhat jaded.

Add to that not getting paid and finding out about misappropriation of funds in the school and I would be out of there like a shot.

It's sad the way this happens to many schools where they don't have the funds to continue at an acceptable level, but allocating funds where they shouldn't be going is just unethical and the parents are certainly right to get onto this. Schools should be teaching children good ethics, not feeding their own agenda.

Offline Cyril22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 04:08:58 AM »
Good Evening. My boys and I attended the Truck and Treating at the college on Halloween night. A photographer of yours, took a picture of my son in his homemade dinosaur (T-Rex) costume. We don't live in Dahlonega, we live in Auburn. My sister who is Freshman attends the college, and invited us up for the event. I have limited access on your webpage because I have not subscribe. If his picture was used in your paper, I would love to read & have a copy of the article and picture. Thank You.