Author Topic: Jason Dunbar, R.I.P., death on Upper Yosemite Fall trail  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Guest Book - Jason Dunbar, R.I.P.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
Guest Book associated with the above obituary for Jason Dunbar:

May 24, 2011
    Dear Marjie, Dave and family, Our prayers are being sent daily. You are on my mind and wish I could be there to give you all hugs.
    My cousin called to let me know this was in the paper today. I have sent the info onto all the Quibona's.
    I had no idea he hiked so much.....what a dear. love Dorothy and Jeb
      ~ Dorothy & Jeb Rosebrook,
Scottsdale, Arizona[/list][/list]
June 01, 2011
    Dear Allison and Jason's Family.
    You are so sorry to hear the news
    of Jason. He was not only a great
    customer of our but considered a
    friend.
    Sincerely,
    All the front desk staff and managment
    of Piedmont Springs

° ° °
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: On SuperTopo: "Rest in peace Jason Dunbar"
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »
A few more comments were made on the above posted SuperTopo thread, "Rest in peace Jason Dunbar":

wildone · May 26, 2011 - 09:25pm PT
    Not looking forward to the service tomorrow. I guess I'm still not really letting it sink in.
Lynne Leichtfuss · May 26, 2011 - 10:30pm PT
    Didn't know Jason or his loved ones, family and friends. But it matters not. My heart and my prayers are with you at this so very difficult time. Losing one you love has to be one of the Most difficult things experienced here on this planet.

Fiancee, it will take time to heal. Best thing is to feel the grief, don't hide from it. I lost my lover too. Hard. Family and Friends hang in there. I know the love and prayers along with positive thoughts from all of us here on ST are with you. Peace, lynne
Watusi · May 27, 2011 - 01:32am PT
    God Bless.

Copyright © 2011 SuperTopo LLC

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Jason Dunbar '95 (1976-2011)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
Here is Malcolm's piece on Jason, from 'Malcolm's Blog'...

Jason Dunbar '95 (1976-2011)
June 09, 2011 | By Malcolm Gauld | Blogs, Malcolm's Blog

I began teaching when I got out of college. I've spent most of the following 35 years at Hyde School in Bath, Maine where Jason graduated in 1995. A fair amount of time has passed since those days. My daughters were babies then . . . now they're in college... but the longer I do this, the less certain I am about who is the teacher and who is the student. Maybe that's the riddle of life: although it must be lived forward, it can only be understood in reverse.

One thing it's taught me is to be nice to everybody. Today, my boss – the chair of Hyde's board – is a guy who sat on the bench of my lacrosse team 30 years ago. Each year around contract time, I say, "If I had known how things were gonna work out, I would have played you more." I can't even get a smile out of him.

It's also taught me that kids' dreams stay with them and sometimes blossom into some beautiful things many years later. Maybe that's why I'm especially honored to be celebrating Jason's life today.

When Jason enrolled at Hyde in the summer of 1993, he provided a glimpse into those dreams on his application essay when he wrote:

I want to find some direction in my life. Figure out what I want to do and where I'm going. I want to get a good education, not only in academics but to find out about myself – my goals, beliefs, feelings, who I am, etc.

In that same essay, he wrote the following about his parents:

I'd like the relationship with my parents to change. Where they're proud of what I'm doing, where we can spend time together and have a lot of fun. Also, to where we can sit down together and tell each other how we really feel.

Jason began with us in our Summer Challenge Program. At the end of his very first day – one spent on outdoor group challenges – he unknowingly provided a deep glimpse into his dreams, one that turned out to be profoundly – with a capital "P" – prophetic. In a journaling exercise on that first night, he wrote... and I offer it here with neither editing nor censorship (!):  

My first day at Hyde was very challenging. We did a lot of stuff with our challenge groups. We learned to work together as a team. That was the best part of the day. The food sucks. It is the most processed stuff I've ever eaten. The people are cool though. They're really helpful. If you got a problem they'll really help you out. It's real hot though and I'm getting kind of bored. There's not a lot to do, at least there isn't yet. I'm pretty sure I'll have fun though and I'm really looking forward to the back-packing trip.

But Jason didn't just dream. He truly got down to business – well, maybe he did test the rules just a tad in the early going. Proof of that was in the Honors Awards he received in English and History. In fact, at the end of his time at Hyde, his History teacher, Mark Duethorn wrote:

Jason has discovered that his opinions are more difficult to support than expected, and, as is often the case with Jason, he now thrives on that challenge.

Similarly, Bud Cox, his English teacher, chimed in:

Jason decided that he would make this class one in which he would explore his perceptions at all moments. I can remember his exhaustive work on several film journals in which he explored ideas that were fully unique... I will truly miss Jason next year for his quiet determination, his joy in discovering new ideas, and his sense of personal integrity.

I would also note that teachers Cox and Duethorn stand among the most challenging and demanding we've ever had at Hyde.

While 1000s of kids have passed through Hyde's doors on my watch, I recalled Jason's approach to things as quiet and deliberate. Searching through records, I observed that he also received an Unsung Hero award, a special determination made by the entire faculty involving a review of the entire student body. Jason was one of about a dozen so selected, evidence of a student who gets it done without a lot of fanfare but definitely with a sense of style worthy of emulation by all. That was Jason.

At Hyde School, we try to do two things: 1) graduate young men and women who will reflect positive character by reflex – that is, automatically, without having to think about it – and 2) who will evolve into adults who will pursue a deeper purpose in their lives. Character and purpose – Jason embodied both qualities.

I mean, every kid at Hyde – or for that matter, at any boarding school – complains about the food. But it's like the weather, nobody ever does anything about it. Last Wednesday night, I had the pleasure of dining at Millennium. While I get the feeling that this may be the wrong audience to admit this in front of, I had never eaten at a vegan restaurant in my life! If they're all like Millennium, I'm ready to dramatically revise my eating habits. But, as great as the food was, it was matched by the quality of the people, by the very spirit of the place. More than a few of those folks assured me that Jason had a lot to do with that spirit.

As for the back-packing reference in Jason's journal passage, I will be surprised if I am the only person today who will note that Jason died doing one of the things he loved most.

While I accept that the kids I teach will and do become adults, for me, parts of them remain fixed in time at age 17. Bob Dylan's Forever Young often plays in my head. Maybe that allows me to do the same. In fact, one of my mottos is:  "Maturity is for those who cannot handle teenagers."

I'm grateful to Jason's parents — Marjie and David – for sharing Jason with us for two years. And most of all, I thank Jason for making our school a better place and then taking his dreams to a bigger canvas, and having the same effect on the world.

Onward, Malcolm Gauld

© 2011 Hyde Schools

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Jason Dunbar, R.I.P.
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:18 AM »
Photo from Flicker photog SydSull, set of one pic titled Millennium Restaurant (July 2010):

Photo also here, in larger format. See also her post on tumblr.com.