Author Topic: Alexander Tyler, R.I.P. - "gun mishap"  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Alexander Tyler, R.I.P. - "gun mishap"
« on: July 08, 2011, 04:52:46 PM »
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Obituary: Alexander Tyler / Former Ohio Wesleyan student killed in gun mishap

Jan. 20, 1990 - Feb. 27, 2011

Thursday, March 10, 2011
By Sally Kalson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alexander Tyler, 2009 photo

Alexander Tyler, who grew up in Pittsburgh to become a "beloved rascal" among his friends and classmates at Ohio Wesleyan University, died Feb. 27 of an accidental gunshot wound to the head.

Mr. Tyler, 21, was taking a semester off classes. He was with a group of friends at his off-campus apartment in downtown Delaware, central Ohio, when the gun he was handling reportedly went off. His roommate, Shahryar Khan, told a 911 dispatcher that Mr. Tyler thought the weapon was unloaded.

Preliminary autopsy results supported accidental death, but Delaware Detective Sgt. John Radabaugh said the final results could take six weeks.

Mr. Tyler grew up in Oakland with his father, John Tyler, and sister, Christina. His mother, Gabrielle Tyler, died in 1997.

He attended the former Homewood Montessori school from kindergarten through seventh grade, completed eighth grade at the former Frick International Studies Academy and earned his high school diploma from the Hyde School in Bath, Maine.

Following graduation, he spent a year working at a series of odd jobs in Providence, R.I., then enrolled at Ohio Wesleyan University in the fall of 2009. He became an active member of Sigma Chi fraternity and made many friends on campus, said his roommate.

"Alex was very honest and genuine, always cracking jokes and very loyal," said Mr. Khan. "He was the kind of friend who would carry me on his back if my feet gave out."

Unsure of where his liberal arts education was leading, Mr. Tyler left school after three terms to figure out his next step. He was interested in law enforcement, said his father, and had talked about joining the FBI. Meanwhile, he was working at a firing range and remained friends with his classmates and fraternity brothers.

The university held a memorial service in honor of Mr. Tyler on March 1, with some 300 mourners jammed into the campus center. About a half-dozen friends and faculty members spoke, as did the university chaplain, the Rev. Jon Powers, who called Mr. Tyler a "beloved rascal."

The Delaware Gazette said that he was recalled as "an emotional and genuine person who excelled at basketball, soccer and speaking French. Those characteristics made him sometimes headstrong and confrontational, but overall he was charismatic, loyal and caring."

At the end of the service, Mr. Tyler's fraternity brothers laid white roses on a makeshift altar.

In addition to his father, Mr. Tyler is survived by his sister, Christina Tyler of Los Angeles, and stepmother, Michele Tyler.

His father said there will be another memorial service in Providence, R.I., and that his son will be cremated.

Sally Kalson can be reached at [email protected] or 412-263-1610.

First published on March 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

Copyright ©1997 -  PG Publishing Co., Inc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Alexander Tyler, R.I.P. - "gun mishap"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:35 AM »
Quote from: "Sally Kalson, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,"
His roommate, Shahryar Khan, told a 911 dispatcher that Mr. Tyler thought the weapon was unloaded.
Why does it sound as though Mr. Khan is soft-pedaling to an extraordinary degree, how ever he may be motivated by tact and sensitivity to Alex's family and loved ones?

Given Alex Tyler's above noted experience with firearms through "working at a firing range," one might well imagine a greater appreciation for, not to mention cognizance of, a firearm's potential for irrevocable damage.

Perhaps Alex was all too aware of that...

Offline Dethgurl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
I don't think it was a mishap....
"The people, when they have been unchecked, have been as unjust, tyrannical, brutal, barbarous and cruel as any king or senate possessed of uncontrollable power.
The majority has eternally, and without one exception, usurped over the rights of the minority." ~John Adams

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 05:29:01 PM »
Alcohol and gunpowder dont mix well either. Im just sayin'. :ftard:
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
Quote from: "seamus"
Well, just how many folks would play Russian Roulette, figuratively speaking or not, while sober?

Fwiw, I don't believe the article mentioned anything about alcohol involvement.

Offline Judge Joe Brown

• View Profile
deleted September 8, 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
deleted September 8, 2011
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 12:44:20 AM by Judge Joe Brown »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »
Quote from: The gatekeeper
Quote from: Ursus
Quote from: seamus
Well, just how many folks would play Russian Roulette, figuratively speaking or not, while sober?

Fwiw, I don't believe the article mentioned anything about alcohol involvement.
People with mental illnesses.[/i]
Possibly, but we don't know for a fact whether or not Alex Tyler suffered from a "mental illness." Or do we?

At any rate, assuming for the sake of argument that he did, it could well have been a contributing factor to his death, much the same as his experience at Hyde School could  also have been a contributing factor.

"Contributing factors" are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and often may accentuate or enhance each other, making the net psychological damage of such an experience far greater than the sum of its parts, so to speak... Perhaps lethally so.