Author Topic: Writing an Article on Hyde, help needed  (Read 2846 times)

Offline SubtleFlavor

• View Profile
Writing an Article on Hyde, help needed
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:05:23 AM »
Hello,

I've been tasked with writing an article on the Hyde School and the history of the Hyde School. I'm looking for people who might be willing to give me a statement or 'blurb' about the Hyde School.

How do you feel about your time spent there?

How do you feel about the modalities used by the school?

Specific examples of situations that stand out as notable for you.

These are just a few of the questions I have for anyone willing to speak with me.

Please contact me by private message and I will pass along my email privately. I'd rather not invite a flood of erroneous responses given some of the notoriety surrounding the Hyde School population.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Writing an Article on Hyde, help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
Quote from: "SubtleFlavor"
Please contact me by private message and I will pass along my email privately. I'd rather not invite a flood of erroneous responses given some of the notoriety surrounding the Hyde School population.
What could go wrong? :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline SubtleFlavor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:25 AM »
Depends on how determined those involved are to press forward. The truth, no matter how grim, should be readily available for all.

No matter how inconvenient that truth is to the upper administration of Hyde.

Offline hgrant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »
sure: I'll give you a blurb. Hyde is a dangerous cult run by a collection of nepotistic psychopaths, many of whom should be investigated and probably jailed.

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
HYDE SCHOOLS, the leader in character education, are a network of college preparatory private and public schools, with boarding schools in Bath, Maine and Woodstock, Connecticut, serving in students grades 9-12 and post-graduate studies. Hyde offers a wide range of courses, including AP, Honors, Summer and Orientation programs. At Hyde Schools, academics are only part of what we teach. Students get the tools they need to prosper and grow in this challenging world. That’s because our approach to education is entirely different. Our teachers focus on helping students reveal their character and develop the confidence they need to succeed in high school, college and beyond. And the way we teach is different, too. We offer leadership opportunities to all students as well as a dynamic leadership track for eligible students. And, unlike any other school, we involve parents and the entire school community in the discovery process. As a result, Hyde students and families strive to realize their fullest potential and are uniquely prepared to navigate the tough choices they face in everyday life. Hyde Schools -Be the Best Possible You; HYDE.edu
Upcoming Events:

May 21, 2011: Admission Reception, Fairfax, VA 1-3 p.m.

June 6, 2011: Open House 1-3 p.m.

July 7, 20111: Open House 1-3 p.m

Good luck writing your article.  Maybe some of these events can help you get the material you need.  Let us know when you have finished so we can read what you prepared.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
Quote from: "Wh??ter"
HYDE SCHOOLS, the leader in character education, are a network of college preparatory private and public schools, with boarding schools in Bath, Maine and Woodstock, Connecticut, serving in students grades 9-12 and post-graduate studies. Hyde offers a wide range of courses, including AP, Honors, Summer and Orientation programs. At Hyde Schools, academics are only part of what we teach. Students get the tools they need to prosper and grow in this challenging world. That’s because our approach to education is entirely different. Our teachers focus on helping students reveal their character and develop the confidence they need to succeed in high school, college and beyond. And the way we teach is different, too. We offer leadership opportunities to all students as well as a dynamic leadership track for eligible students. And, unlike any other school, we involve parents and the entire school community in the discovery process. As a result, Hyde students and families strive to realize their fullest potential and are uniquely prepared to navigate the tough choices they face in everyday life. Hyde Schools -Be the Best Possible You; HYDE.edu
Upcoming Events:

May 21, 2011: Admission Reception, Fairfax, VA 1-3 p.m.

June 6, 2011: Open House 1-3 p.m.

July 7, 20111: Open House 1-3 p.m
Good luck writing your article.  Maybe some of these events can help you get the material you need.  Let us know when you have finished so we can read what you prepared.
The following is about the only sentence in the above press release that I (personally) consider accurately reflects Hyde, save that I'd put the word "education" in quotes:

That's because our approach to "education" is entirely different.[/list]

"Education" in this sense is more akin to "RE-education," complete with all of its historical connotations!  :D

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
    Quote from: "Hyde Graduate"
    I came to Hyde on the heels of my older brother, who had enrolled two years earlier. It was an interesting transition from public school, where passive obedience is rewarded, to Hyde where everyone is required to participate in all facets of the curriculum including performing arts, athletics, and community service. The affect Hyde had on my life would last long beyond my years of matriculation, into my college years and into my professional career. I had never really participated in sports because I had always been overweight, but at Hyde I was given the chance to become an athlete, in fact only at Hyde can a bench warmer become a captain, and this set an attitude change in me that has lasted well into my adult years. I know that the most important thing in life is honesty, willingness, and never giving up. These are the three elements that I integrate into all aspects of my life. After Denison I pursued a career in golf and am currently the Head Golf Professional at the Golden Bear in Hilton Head, SC. Most recently, I qualified for National’s as an Olympic Distance triathlete.

Link

This is an excellent representation of the typical Hyde experience.  These kids go on to do great things that they never could have achieved without the guidance of Hyde.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
    This is an excellent representation of the typical Hyde experience.
    Sorry, but I don't think you are in a position to make that kind of a judgment, Wh??ter. To *my* mind, and according to *my* experience, the above "review" is not "the typical Hyde experience."

Do you honestly think that the Boarding School Review LLC website will publish any negative reviews? Please, find me some.

Incidentally, the descriptive "well into my adult years" is usually not presumed by someone in their mid-late twenties, which, unless he's fudging with his averred graduation date, is the approximate age of that reviewer. But that's a petty point (and may very well reflect more on my preferred literal bias than anything else).

And, although I don't wish to trivialize in any way the stellar life-changing immersion the above grad apparently had, you may not be aware of the tremendous pressure that Hyde puts on graduates and their families to "give back" to the community. One such way is to post effusive reviews on websites like Boarding School Review LLC, such as the one you just posted, Wh??ter. Hyde is a big fan of viral marketing, and has been, long before these kinds of advertising and propaganda became more mainstream.

Here's evidence of one such campaign, among many such campaigns, from not so long ago. From Hyde's Fall 2004 Alumni Newsletter:

SHARE THE SECRET[/list]
        Recently,
      Laurie Hurd and Duncan McCrann announced the launch of a major campaign to increase awareness about Hyde. The help of alumni in the form of time, energy, enthusiasm, and creative thinking is needed. Simply put, it's a new world for Hyde and other New England boarding schools. The recent proliferation of new educational options for students and families has created a challenge for boarding school admissions, a challenge that we at Hyde are eager to face with your help.

As alumni, you don't have to be sold on the impact of Hyde on families. There is little doubt that if more families knew about Hyde, they would pursue enrollment. In some ways, Hyde is the best-kept secret in American education! It is where hope is restored and potential is realized.

This fact led to a new campaign that will "ignite" conversation and interest about Hyde, a venture where everyone connected to Hyde is passing along the Hyde "secret" to people they meet everyday—school counselor, minister, friend, therapist, colleague—to ultimately transform the mystery into knowledge.

In the coming months, you will hear more about Share the Secret. By working together to spread the word about Hyde we will reach families that could benefit from what our schools offer, and have some fun in the process. Please contact Laurie Hurd at 207-443-7105, [email protected], to pass along any campaign development ideas.[/list][/size]

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
      « Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
      Why does this response not surprise me? lol  The basic Fornits response is "all kids in programs were abused but only a few realize it".  Ursus, this kid had a great life changing experience.  Let's not start calling him a liar just because you did not do well at Hyde.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
      Why does this response not surprise me? lol  The basic Fornits response is "all kids in programs were abused but only a few realize it".  Ursus, this kid had a great life changing experience.  Let's not start calling him a liar just because you did not do well at Hyde.
      You're really making an awful lot of assumptions today, eh, Wh??ter? Nowhere and at no point did I call, state, imply, or even begin to insinuate that the above reviewer was "a liar." That's just something that you pulled out of your anal sphincter.

For that matter, you really don't know diddley squat 'bout my time at Hyde. Let's try to keep the presumptions within reasonable range today, okay?