Author Topic: DERAILED THREAD  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
DERAILED THREAD
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »
?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:18:17 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Ridge Creek Wilderness - Frequent Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
From Ridge Creek Wilderness's website:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Frequent Questions

Is Ridge Creek Wilderness licensed or accredited?
Ridge Creek Wilderness is licensed with the State of Georgia Department of Human Resources as an Outdoor Child Caring Program.

How is Ridge Creek Wilderness different from other Wilderness programs?
Our staff consists of mature, professional, qualified individuals. Therapeutic staff possess a minimum of a master's degree in a counseling-related field. A formal risk management system is used to help prevent injury during the course. Students are challenged physically through mountaineering, field skills, orienteering and challenged mentally by the student realizing how his thoughts and actions affect himself and others. We do not use food or sleep deprivation! Other wilderness/outdoor programs focus mainly on behavior modification, skill development or emotional growth. Ridge Creek Wilderness asserts that technical skills are necessary for competency in the wilderness. It also recognizes that the development of personal character and leadership qualities are equally important. Ridge Creek Wilderness also integrates a series of Spiritual Reflections. We believe that it is important to nurture the whole person, spiritually as well as physically and emotionally. Upon successful completion of Ridge Creek Wilderness, each student receives 2 high school credits.

What happens if my child gets sick or injured at Ridge Creek Wilderness?
We understand wilderness activities involve an inherent degree of risk. Safety is of paramount importance. All instructors are trained to identify and assess risks involved with Ridge Creek Wilderness activities and to take action to mitigate risks. We employ highly trained and experienced staff who can react appropriately in any situation. In the event of injury, our staff will respond with first aid and other appropriate measures. If the injury or sickness requires aid beyond what our staff can provide, our nurse will be called and other emergency measures will be taken. There is a regional hospital with a 24-hour emergency room within 12 miles of Ridge Creek Wilderness.

My student is currently on a psychotropic medication, will he be allowed to continue taking medication?
Ridge Creek Wilderness accommodates students who are currently on prescribed medication(s). All staff have received formal training on psychotropic medication administration.

How will my child's progress be monitored and tracked?
Every waking moment, your child's progress at Ridge Creek Wilderness will be continuously monitored by a highly experienced and professional staff. Wilderness staff will supervise and evaluate your child's progress in the tasks that we teach at Ridge Creek Wilderness. These tasks include: leadership, orienteering, physical fitness, climbing, field skills and negotiating confidence-building obstacles. The evaluation consists of both written and hands-on testing. Professional, master's-level counselors evaluate your child's progress throughout the course through more than 20 hours of therapeutic counseling and observation. The counselors provide written feedback and evaluation to the parents and/or educational consultant.

What should I send with my student?
Your child needs to bring nothing other than the clothes they are wearing while traveling to Ridge Creek Wilderness. Everything they come with, to include the clothing they are wearing, will be taken away and stored for the duration of the program. Every student is strip-searched for the safety of the program (body cavity searches are not conducted). They will be outfitted with all clothing and gear necessary to ensure their safety and comfort while training in an outdoor environment. This includes proven and field-tested clothing, foot-gear and adverse weather clothing and equipment.

How often will I have the opportunity to talk to my child?
There will be written communication between you and your child. There will also be family phone calls with your therapist. Your child's therapist will set these up with you to fit your families schedule.

What will my child eat?
Ridge Creek Wilderness does not believe in depriving students of meals. We recognize that food deprivation could lead to serious injury or illness and that diet and nutrition are important for maintaining health. Therefore, we feed our students three meals, and two snacks a day. Your child will eat a combination of hot and cold meals that constitute a nutritionally balanced diet of approximately 3,000-5,000 calories per day.

How many nights will my child sleep outdoors compared to indoors?
The schedule allows for approximately 12 nights camping and 16 nights indoors at the wilderness shelter. In some cases, weather will dictate if the class is able to stay in the woods. Ridge Creek staff will monitor and react accordingly to severe weather conditions.

How much sleep will my child get while at Ridge Creek Wilderness and will they get the opportunity to do laundry and take showers?
Ridge Creek Wilderness recognizes that sleep and personal hygiene are critical to maintaining your child's health. Therefore, your child will receive 8 hours of sleep per night. They will take 4-5 showers per week and do their laundry once per week.

Will Ridge Creek Wilderness accept payment or file for payment with my insurance company?
Ridge Creek Wilderness only accepts payment from the parent/legal guardian of the student. We do not provide an itemization of costs associated with therapeutic treatment and wilderness activity, nor do we provide any other insurance-related information. However, Ridge Creek Wilderness' accreditation by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations is recognized by many insurance companies.

What type of spiritual program will my child be participating in while at RCI?
Ridge Creek Wilderness integrates a series of Spiritual Reflections. The purpose is to provide every student with opportunities to engage themselves in activities that encourage growth in their own religious traditions. This program has been designed in a way that allows a diverse and non-denominational approach. The focus topics include tolerance, community, diversity, respect and compassion

2011 © Ridge Creek Wilderness
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Ridge Creek Wilderness and JCAHO
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
Not stating the ultimate prize is JCAHO (Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations)  accreditation, in fact far from it, but marketing an accreditation that a facility does not hold is inexcusable, especially in this fashion.
Either it's JCAHO that is confused or it is Ridge Creek Wilderness/Ridge Creek, Inc. that is confused;  JCAHO states it is not them.

http://http://jilliestake.blogspot.com/p/ridge-creek-wilderness-minus-jcahos.html
Ya know... they try to play it both ways. Excerpts from their Frequent Questions page, emphasis added:

Is Ridge Creek Wilderness licensed or accredited?
    Ridge Creek Wilderness is licensed with the State of Georgia Department of Human Resources as an Outdoor Child Caring Program.[/list]
      Will Ridge Creek Wilderness accept payment or file for payment with my insurance company?
      ... Ridge Creek Wilderness' accreditation by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations is recognized by many insurance companies.[/list][/size]
      They mention JCAHO in the info on payment and insurance, yet neglect to mention it with the earlier info on licensing and accreditation.

Accreditation by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations is certainly recognized by many insurance companies. In fact, arrangement for insurance coverage is pretty much JCAHO's primary reason for being in the first place.

The question is, does Ridge Creek Wilderness have such accreditation? The above excerpt would appear to imply that they do...

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
      ?
      « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 05:40:45 PM »
      ?
      « Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:47:32 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:11:39 PM »
      Quote from: "Wh??ter"
      Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
      Ursus, good point.  According to JCAHO, Ridge Creek Wilderness is not accredited by JCAHO.  We have both verbal and email confirmation from JCAHO.

LOL!  We are sure you do, Jill.  But if you can't prove it, it's just another claim from another Fornits poster with no facts.  We'll be waiting for some evidence.

Here's the link for you to check for yourself....

http://www.qualitycheck.org/consumer/se ... -1&dist=-1

And the PDF showing RCW is NOT JCAHO accredited.[attachment=0:2z8qo7jf]QualityReport.pdf[/attachment:2z8qo7jf]

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
      Doesn't matter. Kids from RCS are sent to RCW. It also illustrates the habitual pattern of lying and deception of behalf of the owners.

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »
      Oh, and you're the one who asked Jill to prove that RCW wasn't accredited so pay more attention to your own posts.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
      ?
      « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:48:20 PM »
      ?
      « Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:48:29 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
      ?
      « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
      ?
      « Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:49:15 PM by Jill Ryan »

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
      Thank you Jill.... obviously Whooter can't process a simple concept such as using  website for verification purposes.

Whooter - now that you have the incident number are you going to follow up with JCAHO? Or are you going to continue to call us liars?

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
      Quote from: "Guest3"
      Thank you Jill.... obviously Whooter can't process a simple concept such as using  website for verification purposes.

Whooter - now that you have the incident number are you going to follow up with JCAHO? Or are you going to continue to call us liars?

Ha,Ha,Ha.  You made the claim, not me.  Why would I follow up when I never made the representation?  It seems like you may have come up a little short on "evidence", Guest3.  I'm not going to do your busywork.  You made the claim so you need to back it up.

Oh, Whootie. I'll gladly back it up. See the attached copies of RCW's web page. On 5/31 there's a reference to JCAHO - today it's miraculously gone. Now, it's time for you to STFU and go troll somewhere else.[attachment=1:2er9zrj3]FAQ - Therapeutic Wilderness Intervention Program for Troubled Teens JCAHO.pdf[/attachment:2er9zrj3][attachment=1:2er9zrj3]FAQ - Therapeutic Wilderness Intervention Program for Troubled Teens JCAHO.pdf[/attachment:2er9zrj3]

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »
      So you admit that RCS does not claim this accreditation, Guest3?  Where is the "lie" then?  I'm not sure what you're so upset about when you admit RCS is truthful about their accreditation lol.  Most businesses don't update their websites daily, Guest3.  Sometimes it takes a few days for them to catch up.  This is settled.  RCS has not made any false claims.  Let's move on.

I never said RCS claimed accreditation. RCW claimed accreditation. The finally removed it off their website after we exposed their false advertising. So you're right - let's move on (and pay more attention to the postings while you're at it).

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
      « Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
      Great.  Now we both agree that the school did nothing wrong.  Thank you for clearing it up for the readers, Guest3.  See, it wasn't that hard to just admit it was it?  Maybe if you focused more on the kids your personal agenda with RCS wouldn't get in the way so much.

No, RCW falsely claimed to be accredited by JCAHO on their web site. The lost their accreditation and it wasn't until we brought this issue to light did they change their web site. It's plain and simple.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Re. Ridge Creek Wilderness - 'Frequent Questions'
      « Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
      Pertinent changes on RCW's Frequent Questions page (see also Guest3's links in post above):

As of June 5, 2011 (see my post above):

Ridge Creek Wilderness only accepts payment from the parent/legal guardian of the student. We do not provide an itemization of costs associated with therapeutic treatment and wilderness activity, nor do we provide any other insurance-related information. However, Ridge Creek Wilderness' accreditation by the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations is recognized by many insurance companies.[/list][/size]
        As of June 9, 2011 (today):

Ridge Creek Wilderness only accepts payment from the parent/legal guardian of the student. We do not provide an itemization of costs associated with therapeutic treatment and wilderness activity, nor do we provide any other insurance-related information.[/list][/size]

Offline Guest3

• View Profile
          « Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »
          Ha,Ha,Ha.  First you say they were never accredited and falsely claimed they were and now you say they were accredited but lost it.  The reality is that if you look right at their website they do not claim JCAHO accreditation.  Anyone can look for themselves and see that, Guest3.

Whooter - I never said RCW wasn't accredited. They were accredited and lost the accreditation, but yet they still referenced being accredited by JCAHO DESPITE having the accreditation revoked. RCW used to have the JCAHO seal on their web site, but took it off at some point.

This is the last I'll respond to you on this subject because you continue to twist words: Perhaps you should be more concerned with the fact that RCW LOST their accreditation and try to determine why that occurred. I mean, since you are obviously so concerned about the children and have their best interest at heart.