Author Topic: Lawsuit due to a stay at Casa by the Sea and High Impact  (Read 7959 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Lawsuit due to a stay at Casa by the Sea and High Impact
« on: June 02, 2011, 02:00:39 AM »
Utah-based program for troubled youths tortured teen boy, lawsuit alleges, By Dennis Romboy, Deseret News, June 1, 2011

SALT LAKE CITY — A former student in a much-maligned Utah-based organization for troubled children filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday, contending it left him traumatized for life.

Carl Brown Austin, 24, alleges World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools subjected him to constant physical and emotional abuse for two years. The Washington state man was enrolled in programs called Casa by the Sea and High Impact, both based in Mexico, from age 13 to 15.

Since his mother, Glenna Pierson, pulled him from the school in September 2002, he has "lived a life of indolence, drugs and misery to drown out the torture" he experienced, according to the 36-page suit filed in U.S. District Court. Pierson and her husband also are plaintiffs in the case.

"Casa and High Impact have literally wrecked the life of a very young adolescent that needed nurturing, patience and love, not the foolish 'behavior modification' at which the defendants excel."

Named as defendants are WWASPS principals Robert B. Litchfield and Brent M. Facer. The suit seeks at least $500,000 in general damages and unspecified amount for punitive damages. In addition to abuse, it alleges fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract.

An attorney for WWASPS did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

The program uses behavior modification tactics to curb rebellious behavior in kids and often establishes schools in rural, out-of-the-way places to deter running away. Monthly tuition is several thousand dollars, on top of admission fees.

Pierson says she spent more than $50,000 for her son to be in the program.

Allegations of abuse and questions about the facilities' credentials have sparked investigations in numerous states, prompted closures of some facilities and led politicians to call for greater oversight the past few years.

A massive lawsuit initiated by a Texas man pending in federal court in Salt Lake City has hundreds of plaintiffs who claim they were abused in the program.

Austin's attorney, Thomas Burton, said behavior modification or "beating kids into submission" never gets to the root of what often are deep-seated psychological problems.

In the lawsuit, Austin alleges he was a "virtual prisoner" while in the school. He claims school employees meted out "primitive punishment" for hours on end. They included "R&R," which meant lying face down with one's chin and toes on the floor and hands behind the back, and "Big Green," which entailed having one's face rubbed into the turf until it was bloody.

"I have real problems with kids being locked up. This is worse than juvenile hall," he said. "You are in as long as World Wide decides you need to be in. It will come as no surprise that you will be in as long as the funding continues."

Austin also alleges he was hog-tied, allowed limited access to bathrooms and showers and not permitted to eat during punishments.

"He once attempted to hang himself in a bathroom, but was caught and put on R&R," according to the suit.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Lawsuit due to a stay at Casa by the Sea and High Impact
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
Quote from: "Dennis Romboy, for the Deseret News,"
Austin's attorney, Thomas Burton, said behavior modification or "beating kids into submission" never gets to the root of what often are deep-seated psychological problems.
These programs often create more problems than there were in the first place. Moreover, with all their sanctimonious talk about "accountability," WWASPS programs rarely own up to the damage and abuse they inflict on the adolescents in their care.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Utah-based program for troubled youths tortured teen boy...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Alternative link for the article in the OP, as the Deseret News opted to re-publish it yesterday:

Deseret News
    Utah-based program for troubled youths tortured teen boy, lawsuit alleges

By Dennis Romboy, Deseret News
    Published: Friday, June 3, 2011 9:37 p.m. MDT

< snip snip >

Email: [email protected]

deseretnews.com[/list]

--------------------------------

The republish elicited a coupla comments:

Rifleman | 10:57 a.m. June 5, 2011 · Salt Lake City, Utah
      "A 14-year-old boy kicked and punched by guards at a juvenile boot camp died because the sheriff's officials suffocated him, a medical examiner said Friday, contradicting a colleague who blamed the death on a usually benign blood disorder". Martin Anderson is only one of many children who have been killed in boot camps and typically those responsible never pay the price.

If you're a juvenile in a boot camp the US Constitution does not apply to you.
    Rifleman | 6:22 p.m. June 5, 2011 · Salt Lake City, Utah
      How many troubled youths have been tortured and killed in boot camps? I always thought these children had some minor protections given to them by our Constitution. Apparently that isn't the case.

deseretnews.com

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Lawsuit says Utah program for troubled youths tortured teen
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
    This is actually an alternate version of the same article as the OP, perhaps giving an indication of the media interest in this case.

This version has a slightly different title and a different ordering of paragraphs. I'm posting it in its entirety as I'm not sure which article is the original one or the one closer to the writer's original intent...

--------------

"I have real problems with kids being locked up. This is worse than juvenile hall. You are in as long as World Wide decides you need to be in. It will come as no surprise that you will be in as long as the funding continues."
        —Carl Brown Austin[/list][/list]

KSL.com
        Lawsuit says Utah program for troubled youths tortured teen boy

June 1st, 2011 @ 6:53pm
        By Dennis Romboy

SALT LAKE CITY — A former student in a much-maligned Utah-based organization for troubled children filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday, contending it left him traumatized for life.

Carl Brown Austin, 24, alleges World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools subjected him to constant physical and emotional abuse for two years. The Washington state man was enrolled in programs called Casa by the Sea and High Impact, both based in Mexico, from age 13 to 15.

Since his mother, Glenna Pierson, pulled him from the school in September 2002, he has "lived a life of indolence, drugs and misery to drown out the torture" he experienced, according to the 36-page suit filed in U.S. District Court. Pierson and her husband also are plaintiffs in the case.

"Casa and High Impact have literally wrecked the life of a very young adolescent that needed nurturing, patience and love, not the foolish 'behavior modification' at which the defendants excel."

The program's modification tactics aim to curb rebellious behavior in kids and often establishes schools in rural, out-of-the-way places to deter running away. Monthly tuition is several thousand dollars, on top of admission fees.

Pierson says she spent more than $50,000 for her son to be in the program.

In the lawsuit, Austin alleges he was a "virtual prisoner" while in the school. He claims school employees meted out "primitive punishment" for hours on end. They included "R&R," which meant lying face down with one's chin and toes on the floor and hands behind the back, and "Big Green," which entailed having one's face rubbed into the turf until it was bloody.

"I have real problems with kids being locked up. This is worse than juvenile hall," he said. "You are in as long as World Wide decides you need to be in. It will come as no surprise that you will be in as long as the funding continues."

Austin also alleges he was hog-tied, allowed limited access to bathrooms and showers and not permitted to eat during punishments.

"He once attempted to hang himself in a bathroom, but was caught and put on R&R," according to the suit.

Named as defendants are WWASPS principals Robert B. Litchfield and Brent M. Facer. The suit seeks at least $500,000 in general damages and unspecified amount for punitive damages. In addition to abuse, it alleges fraud, conspiracy and breach of contract.

Allegations of abuse and questions about the facilities' credentials have sparked investigations in numerous states, prompted closures of some facilities and led politicians to call for greater oversight the past few years.

A massive lawsuit initiated by a Texas man pending in federal court in Salt Lake City has hundreds of plaintiffs who claim they were abused in the program.

An attorney for WWASPS did not immediately return a phone call for comment.

Email: [email protected]

© 2010 ksl.com | KSL Broadcasting Salt Lake City UT

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
        Comments: "Lawsuit says Utah program ... tortured teen boy"
        « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:31:56 AM »
        A coupla thoughtful comments left by ex-staff members, along with the usual ass-hattery, for the just above article, "Lawsuit says Utah program for troubled youths tortured teen boy" (by Dennis Romboy; June 1st, 2011; KSL.com):

EnvironMENTAL · posted 3 days ago
          All I can say, is read the contract, they signed the release forms. And agreed to permit whatever the company is to do what the parents paid for. To break what's his faces, rebellious demeanor.

The kid was obviously psychologically troubled before being 'sent away' by his parents. So to suggest that the program caused his psychological issues is like saying flies cause garbage.
          Cankerpuss · posted 2 days ago
            The mother said the kid needed to be loved and cared for in order to get past his psychological problems. Well, isn't that the job of the mother? And where is the father in all of this? Is there a father? Yet more evidence that Fathers are absolutely essential in the raising and development of young men. Women have the ability to love and nurture but they don't have a clue about teaching a young man how to be a responsible man. That takes an alpha male.

If this were my kid the first thing I would ask is what were you doing that caused the staff at the school to discipline you?
          runninfool · posted 2 days ago
            @Cankerpuss. I must agree with you that the importance of a father in a child's life cannot be overstated. However, I do take issue with your statement that women "don't have a clue about teaching a young man how to be a responsible man". I raised two young men as a single mother and they are both college graduates and responsible, loving, and compassionate human beings. Rubbing someones' face in the turf until it bleeds is not discipline, by the way, it is assault.
          ApatheticEmpathy · posted 2 days ago
            I question both the mother and the son's motives. The mother said he needed nurturing that she was willing to pay for, but not give??!! And since this period the son has "lived a life of indolence, drugs and misery to drown out the torture" That's probably what got him into the program in the first place. So now you want to win a court case for what? More money to support the vicious cycle? These people need help that will not be solved through a court case or settlement.
          InterestedObserver · posted 2 days ago
            I am embarrassed to say that I worked for this organization around that time and nine years later, it still makes me sick. They always had and an answer for everything, and completely lied to and manipulated the parents. When the kids were telling the truth, we were told to tell the parents that they were the ones lying. We censored their letters and sat with them during their phone calls.

They told us that the kids "deserved" the treatment because they were "bad" and needed to "learn consequences".

As far this kid being psychologically troubled before he went in, you can't be so sure. There was one little kid who was there because his parents were going through a divorce and he was falling behind in school. They had this "progressive system" that allowed the kids to get through a couple of grade levels in a short amount of time. I won't go into details, but let me just say that the kids were not learning anything, just being given a certificate.

The people on the other side of the 800 number that the parents first call are paid $2000 per kid they enroll, and pretty much tell the parents anything to get the parents in. Your kid is hooked on heroin? This is the place. Your kid is in juvie? We'll fix him. Your kid is in a gang and will be sent to prison? This is it. Your 13 year old is flunking 7th grade? By gosh, we'll help him out. Maybe this guy really was a trouble maker. But maybe he was the one paying for his parents own messy divorce and their psychological problems. (And you can't blame the parents because in this case they really did want what was best for him, but had been lied to by the organization.) He left knowing more about drugs, violence, and sex than most kids graduating high school.

Anytime I questioned the rumors before I worked for them, they said they were stories made up by "disgruntled employees". I left for no other reason than because I finally saw the truth of what was going on and was disgusted by it.

Oh and anyone who wants to find out more about their character and regard for life can click here
          http://www.wyff4.com/news/24956710/detail.html or just google "carolina springs carcasses lichfield greenville news".[/list][/list]
          CSP5 · posted 3 days ago
            Many of these programs are not voluntary, though. It is very common for courts to order kids into these programs. My brother was a troubled kid and was court-ordered into one of these camps. They would hike for days at a time with inadequate food and water. When he returned home three months later, he would hoard food and was much more withdrawn and had a lot more trouble trusting adults. This program created far more problems than it solved. Any program that isolates children with little opportunities for supervision or intervention should be carefully scrutinized. No child deserves ill treatment or inhumane punishment, no matter what poor decisions they have made in the past.
            taggert · posted 3 days ago
              something that you should remember, yes some programs are not voluntary. the ones which are court-ordered are there because they have commited a crime, which had they been adults they would have spent some serious jail time for commiting. Also, some of these programs teach some real life skills, which the contestants on "survivor" would gladly give real money for. I have NO sympathy for the kids in these programs because they are there because they are already "troubled".
            [/list]
            Angie H. · posted 2 days ago
              I like the part that said "nurturing, patience and love". I believe that is the parents job. It worked well for his parents if they sent him for behavior modification. If this kid would have been locked up in Juvenile detention, he wouldn't have received any of that. If he truly had his face rubbed in sod till it bled, then that would mean he had scars. What's wrong with lying face down on the floor and keep your chin and toes touching the floor? Isn't that just another way of a time out? The problem with today's society is that you can't spank your kids anymore. Anyone figure out that kids 50 years ago didn't cause the disruptions that kids today do? I wonder why
            I'm4RIGHT · posted 2 days ago
              I think all of these programs should be shut down and parents should seek guidance on how to deal with their own troubled teens. Most of these programs do inflict abuse to some degree. The results are, the kid turns 18 leaves the program and leads his life as he chooses anyway. I hope they win this case and new laws are inflicted and closer watch is placed on all these programs. I worked for one in the Uintah Basin and it wasn't good regardless of what the owners felt they were trying to accomplish.
            janabarlow · posted 2 days ago
              I'm a little disturbed by most of the comments regarding this article. After reading it I assumed that most people would be bothered by the content as I was. Perhaps the Mother had done everything she knew how, some kids are just unreachable. If she really was uncaring or a horrible mom she wouldn't have gone to the trouble and spent the huge amount of money to "help" her son. We all know troubled youth, how many do we know of, that parents have actually gone to such efforts to help them. Children ARE more reckless these days, but it's not because we don't "spank" them or use other corporal punishment. It is because there are not enough Mothers in the home taking the time from day one. Not everyone has that luxury, maybe that's the case with this family, but no child will ever benefit from such treatment as claimed by this family. I have a good friend who went to one of these program out of the states and he came home a changed person for the better. This particular program mentioned is obviously not doing their job and should be held accountable. If all he needed was a good whooping, I'm sure they could have found someone to do it for free. I'm glad none of you are my parents.

© 2010 ksl.com | KSL Broadcasting Salt Lake City UT

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            Former student claims abuse in teen boot camps
            « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:46:03 AM »
            A very short, probably abbreviated Associated Press piece was published in the Salt Lake Tribune a coupla days ago:

The Salt Lake Tribune

Former student claims abuse in teen boot camps

By LYNN DeBRUIN · The Associated Press
            First published Jun 02 2011 05:30PM
            Updated Jun 2, 2011 11:13PM

A former student in a controversial Utah-based organization for troubled children contends in a federal lawsuit that its teen boot camp programs in Mexico traumatized him for life.

The lawsuit brought by 24-year-old Carl Brown Austin claims World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools subjected him to constant physical and emotional abuse over two years. The Washington state man was enrolled from age 13 to 15 in Casa by the Sea and High Impact.

The suit filed in U.S. District Court in Utah seeks at least $500,000 in actual and punitive damages. It alleges fraud and conspiracy.

A large federal suit brought in 2006 against the same organization with 300-plus plaintiffs is pending. An attorney for the program did not immediately return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
            Comments: "Former student claims abuse in teen boot camps"
            « Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:18:13 AM »
            Comments left for the above article, "Former student claims abuse in teen boot camps" (by Lynn DeBruin, Jun 02 2011, AP/The Salt Lake Tribune):

Babyboomer  · 2 days ago
              I am assuming this was the only alternative and that is why you were
              placed there, either by family or the state.(things had to have gotten out of control, for you to be there)
              While no one should be physically and emotionally abused,  I wonder... did
              this program save your life, straighten you out?
              With 300 + plaintiffs, I will also assume, this organization could/should have
              done things different!
              buddysdad  · 2 days ago in reply to Babyboomer
                Here is one thing the program did for him...after 10 years of NOT changing or accepting his behavior, he decides it was the program rather than he himself.  Rather than sue for emotional and physical abuse, he is electing to sue for fraud and conspiracy... does that seem strange to anyone BUT me?
                Guest  · 1 day ago in reply to buddysdad
                  Comment removed.[/list]
                    buddysdad  · 1 day ago in reply to Guest
                      OK...here we go again...little do you know..I served, yes they got us up at anytime between 4:30 and 6 am..go run before breakfast..go run here, go run there, shots, medical, OK, go run here for this training, there for that training...8 weeks...did it make a better person out of me...YES...did I like it..NO..do I whine, bit*h and moan about it...NO...WHY you ask...because when it is time to MAN-UP...that's what you do...don't come back 10 years later and say "OH poor me, I must have been abused" I can't handle life, it's just too much for me, so I have to blame someone, because I am not man enough to take responsibility for my actions...I am not God, don't want to be one...(would give constant whiners (like you) tonsillitis)...
                      Trib censors did something to my post...said they will review it for posting and they kept it...NOT GOOD TRIB..not good at all..
                      What happened to my post?
                    [/list][/list][/list]
                    Bill Medvecky  · 2 days ago
                      The "Chickens" are coming home to roost. Think of all those children CPS and CASA abused and hurt for all these years. Now, they are coming of age to sue the PANTS off the State and YOU will be paying for CPSs abuse and negligence. Keep in mind also, the abuse and neglect goes on as I type. What YOU allowed CPS to do will cost you BILLIONS.
                      buddysdad  · 1 day ago in reply to Bill Medvecky
                        Being disciplined is NOT abuse.. The military disciplines to make people better,  to be able to take care of yourself, in any situation..
                        one lawsuit and one win, makes all of the "chickens" come out to claim they were abused and get a free ride.. for what?  Because they are unable to accept reality, because they think someone owes them,  because they fail to take responsibility for their own failures... GROW UP...be a MAN for once in your life..
                        This clown isn't suing for emotional or physical abuse .... because he can't prove it...so he is suing for fraud and conspiracy...I hope the judge laughs in his face and throws this frivolous lawsuit in the round grey file bucket
                      [/list]
                      shewearsfunnyhat · 1 day ago
                        My main problem is that businesses like the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools are out to make money. They pray on parents who are at their emotional wits end and are desperate to find a solution to their teens bad behavior. The company sells a product. The product is a perfect child. They skimp on the counselors and only hire those that will work for peanuts. The counselors often don't have the experience to deal with the teens extreme behavioral and emotional problems. They don't know how to correct behaviors and use extreme methods are often abusive. The form of discipline they use is not legal at any institution under state or federal oversight. It is not  military style discipline.  The company allows this behavior because they think the extreme measures will produce their product.  The company gets away with it because their facilities are "private".

I also think that these programs only treat one symptom. They don't necessarily treat the roots of the problem. They don't look at the parents skills and often don't treat underling mental health issues in both teens and parents. Many times, the parent needs to learn how to be an effective disciplinarian and teen need to learn how to behave.  The teen should have go to a program within their own state. The parents and children should have weekly counseling sessions. The parents should take a class in being an effective parent. I see parents daily who don't correct their child's behavior. Not correcting the behavior of a child will lead to an out of control teen.
                      LurkinLizard  · 1 day ago
                        If he was fed, watered, and sheltered I don't care if he had to get up early, walk or run long distances, or do push-ups.

If he was physically beaten or water/food/shelter was withheld, okay I can see a problem there. But learning discipline is a good thing.

I wonder if there was actual abuse, or if this kid just didn't like the hiking and the push-ups?

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      Man claims abuse in teen boot camps
                      « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:25:08 PM »
                      What appears to be the full version of Lynn DeBruin's above article was also posted on the Sirens & Gavels blog associated with The Spokesman-Review:

Sirens & Gavels

Man claims abuse in teen boot camps

By LYNN DeBRUIN, Associated Press
                      June 3, 2011 noon

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Spokane man has become the latest to sue a Utah-based organization for troubled children, claiming he was physically and emotionally tormented during its teen boot camp programs in Mexico.

Attorneys for Carl Brown Austin, 24, filed the lawsuit Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Salt Lake City against World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools.

Austin spent nearly two years, starting at age 13, at the organization's Casa by the Sea and High Impact programs. He alleged he was a "virtual prisoner" in programs that meted out primitive punishment for hours on end.

The lawsuit said Casa by the Sea in Ensenada, Mexico, was never licensed by any state regulatory authority as a "treatment center" and that High Impact in Baja, Mexico, was shut down by government edict in 2002 after complaints from parents.

Austin claimed he was hogtied, given limited access to bathrooms and food and endured "The Big Green" — which meant having his head rubbed into an artificial turf until his face and mouth were bloody. It also claimed the organization and its officials conspired to conceal the abuse at its boarding schools.

"I'm just now trying to change my life around," Austin said. "I've been through so much. It's a traumatic thing to have to go through when I was just 13."

An attorney for the organization, which was based in St. George, Utah, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Thursday.

Austin said he wanted his own lawsuit filed rather than join a lawsuit pending in federal court after five years because "I would like to have my story heard."

The other lawsuit, brought in 2006 initially on behalf of a Texas man, now has 350-plus plaintiffs — mostly victims claiming abuse and parents who sent their children to various alternative programs run by the organization.

Also named as defendants are organization principals Robert B. Litchfield, of Toquerville, Utah, and Brent M. Facer.

Facer, reached in California on Thursday, said he was a board member of World Wide for four or five years but indicated it exists now on paper only. He said World Wide shut down because there wasn't a need for its programs any more.

He maintained that Casa by the Sea was "a well-run program" and that "safety and security were paramount." He said he had no knowledge of Austin or abuse allegations and knew only of "a few isolated incidents that got some attention." Asked why former students might bring such accusations, Facer said children brought to such schools have a history of misrepresenting the truth.

"That's why these kids need help," Facer said. "They lie to their parents, lie to their superiors, teachers, people who maybe they would consider an authoritative type of figure. That's not uncommon."

Austin's mother, Glenna Pierson, and her husband also are plaintiffs in his lawsuit. The lawsuit seeks to recover more than $50,000 Pierson spent for her son to be in the Casa by the Sea program, as well as actual and punitive damages for the abuse he suffered.

Austin said his relationship with his mother is still "on the fence" as he struggles with trust issues after being sent from home for being a troublemaker.

"It's hard for me to forgive but I'm trying," he said of his mother.

The 36-page lawsuit said Pierson pulled him from the program in 2002 but claimed he could not adjust to normal life after the abuse. It said he had trouble with the law and drugs.

The programs "wrecked the life of a very young adolescent that needed nurturing, patience, and love, not the foolish 'behavior modification' at which defendants excel," the lawsuit said.

Austin, who along with his girlfriend runs a babysitting service from his home in Spokane, said even smells can trigger flashbacks.

"They made this juice with syrup and water and I'd be out driving and have the window down and ... it'd take me right back again to where I was when I was 13," Austin said. He said he had been having recurring nightmares but that prescription medicine has helped him sleep better.

"Coming back from that environment, I was so angry," he said. "My head had been messed with. There was lots of brainwashing."

He insisted he no longer is in trouble with the law, and is trying to be a role model for the children he babysits. "But part of the reason I got this job is because I don't like to leave the house. I have this wall built around myself. I don't trust anyone," he said.

"I don't think these kids frankly ever get over it," said Salt Lake City attorney Thomas Burton, who filed the suit on behalf of Austin. "It's that bad, when they're adolescents and their psyche is just developing."

He pointed to other cases where children in wilderness or residential programs committed suicide or serious crimes against others "because they can't take it anymore."

"I know people who say the Army saved my life. But the Army has good food, recourse, oversight. It's rough, but it's fair," Burton said. "In these (programs), who knows? They're off in the wilderness and nobody's checking on them."

Tags: boot camps Carl Brown Austin Casa by the Sea High Impact lawsuits Mexico teen boot camps U.S. District Court

© Copyright 2011, The Spokesman-Review

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      Re: Man claims abuse in teen boot camps
                      « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 11:56:45 PM »
                      Quote from: "LYNN DeBRUIN, of the Associated Press,"
                      [Brent Facer] said he had no knowledge of Austin or abuse allegations and knew only of "a few isolated incidents that got some attention." Asked why former students might bring such accusations, Facer said children brought to such schools have a history of misrepresenting the truth.

"That's why these kids need help," Facer said. "They lie to their parents, lie to their superiors, teachers, people who maybe they would consider an authoritative type of figure. That's not uncommon."
                      Classic denial.

Those ~100 or so lawsuits involving Casa by the Sea must also have been filed by such malcontents.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                      Spokane man sues over alleged abuse in Utah teen boot camp
                      « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
                      Alternate link for the above (full length) article:

KREM.com
                        Spokane man sues over alleged abuse in Utah teen boot camp

by Lynn DeBruin, Associated Press
                        KREM.com

Posted on June 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM
                        [/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                        Comments: "Spokane man sues over alleged abuse..."
                        « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:14:55 AM »
                        The general asshattery in the comments never ceases to amaze me. Maybe that's just me.

Comments left for the above article (alternate link), "Spokane man sues over alleged abuse in Utah teen boot camp" (by Lynn DeBruin; June 7, 2011; Associated Press / KREM.com):

iones said on June 7, 2011 at 2:51 PM
                          THIS IS NO DIFFERENT THEN THE ARMED FORCES, THE KID'S ARE THERE FOR A REASON , (TO BE MANED UP) UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR KID'S RUNNING AROUND LIKE CHICKEN LITTLE AND LIEING & BENDING THE TRUTH AND DRUG DEALING FOR THE REST OF THERE LIFE, I THINK THE MILLITARY IS THE BEST THING FOR THESE'S KID'S TO STRAIGHTEN UP , AS I SPENT 30 YEAR'S A HAVE A RETIREMENT ON TOP OF IT TO GO WITH IT FROM THE ARMY.
                        hogwash said on June 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM
                          So, this guy who has all of these continuing issues is running a daycare? Wow.
                        purpleiscool2me said on June 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM
                          teach your kids they don't want to end up in a place like this.
                        spok856 said on June 7, 2011 at 4:17 PM
                          Holy cow... Talk about some angry people on here. How can you say what these kids deserved? The military is great and I'm a huge believer that it can turn your life around but there is a reason you enter at eighteen not thirteen. Shouldn't the fact that it's in Mexico be a tip off? If they can't handle US oversight than they shouldn't be in operation. Pretty bad when kids get shipped to another coutry to go to these camps. It's like exporting child abuse... Shame on the people for running it and shame on these parents for turning a blind eye.
                        noyankeefans said on June 7, 2011 at 5:11 PM
                          Well although it sounds awful, how bad was it that the man waits until he's 24 years old to file suit? Why not have his parents do it when he got home or even more so why didn't he do it when he turned 18? Im sorry but if I suffered and endured so much pain, abuse and trauma I wouldn't wait 11 years to make a big lawsuit out of it. REALLY? hummmmmmmm
                        flyd13 said on June 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM
                          I sure hope this victim has had some counseling, how the heck would anyone want someone that admits the problems he's had babysitting their child? eeh gads!

© 2009-2011 King Broadcasting Company, a subsidiary of Belo Corp.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                        Spokane man describes alleged abuse in Utah-based boot camp
                        « Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
                        A related article to the one just above (alternate link), also on the KREM.com website... Video news clip featuring Carl Brown Austin is accessible at the title link:

KREM.com
                        Spokane man describes alleged abuse in Utah-based boot camp

by Cole Heath and KREM.com
                        KREM.com

Posted on June 8, 2011 at 4:53 PM
                        Updated Wednesday, Jun 8 at 5:39 PM

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A Spokane man is launching a legal battle against an organization her claims put him through hell.

Carl Brown-Austin spent nearly two years in a program designed to help troubled teens, a program he says subjected him to torture and abuse.

The website for Casa by the Sea depicts it as an oasis for troubled teens in Ensenada, Mexico. Brown-Austin, who started staying there in 2001 at the age of 13, says the website’s description could not be further from the truth.

“I have reoccurring nightmares all the time. I wake up feeling like I’m still there,” Brown-Austin told KREM 2 News Reporter Cole Heath. “We slept in dog cages. They had cattle prods they would use to intimidate us.”

Brown-Austin described a counselor who slammed him on the ground.

“He rubbed my face in the Astroturf. It was that thin Astroturf with cement underneath. My whole body was bloody. I still have the scars,” Brown-Austin said.

At the time, teen could only communicate with his parents by mail. He says his letters were read by Casa administrators. If students complained about their treatment, they were punished.

Brown-Austin is seeking $500,000 in damages from World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools, based in Utah.  His lawsuit also names the company’s underlings Casa by the Sea and High Impact.

It is one of 100 similar lawsuits involving Casa by the Sea, which has since shut down according to Brown-Austin’s attorney.

The World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools could not be reached for comment.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                        Comments: "Spokane man describes alleged abuse..."
                        « Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:44 AM »
                        Ugh. Comments left for the above article, "Spokane man describes alleged abuse in Utah-based boot camp" (by Cole Heath; June 8, 2011; KREM.com):

noyankeefans said on June 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM
                          Well, as I stated earlier on this issue: couldnt have been that traumatic that this gentleman waited 10-11 years to come forward. Even if he did tell his parents when he got home and they did nothing he still waits until he's 24 to say something. Really? I dont think so. He should have done something when he was 18, when he was legal enough to pursue this issue on his own but still waits 6 more years. Sorry folks, not buying it.
                        crikey said on June 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM
                          He's matured so much he still not sure he can fogive his mother? I wouldn't trust such an angry human around my kids....or my animals....
                        dptsno said on June 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM
                          Just another Con trying to make someone else pay for his crimes. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He put himself there so he wouldn't have to go to jail. Get a life.

Offline Wh??ter

• View Profile
                        Re: Comments: "Spokane man describes alleged abuse..."
                        « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:02:28 PM »
                        Quote from: "Ursus"
                        Ugh. Comments left for the above article, "Spokane man describes alleged abuse in Utah-based boot camp" (by Cole Heath; June 8, 2011; KREM.com):

noyankeefans said on June 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM
                          Well, as I stated earlier on this issue: couldnt have been that traumatic that this gentleman waited 10-11 years to come forward. Even if he did tell his parents when he got home and they did nothing he still waits until he's 24 to say something. Really? I dont think so. He should have done something when he was 18, when he was legal enough to pursue this issue on his own but still waits 6 more years. Sorry folks, not buying it.
                        crikey said on June 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM
                          He's matured so much he still not sure he can fogive his mother? I wouldn't trust such an angry human around my kids....or my animals....
                        dptsno said on June 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM
                          Just another Con trying to make someone else pay for his crimes. I don't feel sorry for him at all. He put himself there so he wouldn't have to go to jail. Get a life.

These commenters are right on the money.  Thanks for posting something unbiased for once, Ursus.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                        Casa by the Sea - Location
                        « Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
                        For some reason, a portion of Casa by the Sea's website is still functional, possibly as a means of funneling potential customers to other WWASPS programs...

Here's the text from their "Location" page... The dichotomy between the description and the avowed reality are... immense, to say the least.

Casa by the Sea is just a little over 50 miles South of San Diego, California. It is located at a remote beach facility near the seaport town of Ensenada, Mexico. The Setting is beautiful, peaceful, and conducive to change.

Casa by the Sea provides an effective program for teens who are struggling at home, at school, or in the community. This program is specifically designed to help teens to replace inappropriate attitudes, behaviors, and habits with new, productive ones.

Ensenada is an excellent location for the program because it offers the benefits of a foreign site, with easy access to the U.S. At Casa by the Sea, students are enriched and effectively impacted by a unique cultural experience in Mexico's warm, simple surroundings. Students learn Spanish, which further enhances the process of change.

--------------

The benefits of a foreign site are numerous. First, the students are put into an entirely new environment, away from the negative friends and influences that have adversely affected their lives. Second, the teens discover that they are in a unfamiliar culture. As a result, the teens tend to be more teachable and open to change and direction. Third, a foreign experience helps to broaden the teen's insight, awareness and perspective. Fourth, a foreign setting is much more impacting and instills a greater appreciation for home and family. Fifth, not only do the teens get the help they need, but they also gain a valuable foreign experience that they will likely remember and appreciate for the rest of their lives. Additionally, due to the greater value of the U.S. dollar in Mexico, the program can provide its services at a significant reduction of cost to families. All of these reasons make Mexico an excellent option for teens needing to make changes in their lives.

--------------

The program consists of several key components: effective behavior modification, a series of highly motivational "emotional growth seminars" called TASKS, a progressive academic curriculum, and a structured daily schedule that includes daily personal development courses.

©2002 Casa by the Sea