Author Topic: Someone had a fun day in Lake Montezuma  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Someone had a fun day in Lake Montezuma
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »
We got a hint from HEAL-online and found this link by the authorities in Arizona.

Behavioral Health Facilities Report - Copper Canyon Academy

Look at Survey Date - 8/27/2010

Let us just say that the inspectors had a busy day.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
Re: Someone had a fun day in Lake Montezuma
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »
Exactly how many citations do they have to give before they can shut the place down at once?
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
Re: Copper Canyon Academy in violation of AZ laws
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »
When reading these citations--citations that have been issued because Copper Canyon Academy is in violation of Arizona law regarding safe and appropriate care for teens--I am struck by how many of the inspector's questions went unanswered because the administrator would not provide access to records, a violation of the law in and of itself. We know from experience that facilities hide their records and isolate the children in their care so they do not have to subject their programs to public view. (And I am not talking about HIPAA-protected patient information, but staff, program, educational and heath/health emergency and safety records.)  

The system could be said to be working only if a place with so many serious violations were closed or placed under state control by the State of Arizona. In reality, the violations have been listed in a report--they have not been corrected. It's just words on paper if the facility is still operating without limitations or controls.

The other thing that is clear from reading the citations is that proper licensing, training and supervision of staff members providing behavior health services to youth is not occurring. The requirements for MINIMAL staff competence are not being met.

I would not send any child I know or love to an Aspen facility (or other for-profit residential care facility)--or allow strangers to keep my child far from home for months and years on end in the name of "treatment."
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:56 PM »
Hello, AuntieEm2!  Forgive me if I missed something here, but I didn't see any links or data that suggest the school is in ongoing violation of any laws.  It appears to me that they are working with the state to address some minor concerns and that the process is so transparent that we all have access to the records.  I view this as a good thing.

In my experience with Aspen Education Group, they are among the very finest providers of top-notch traditional boarding schools with special purposes and that 100% of students go on to the college of their choice.  They are thriving and growing, just like the at-risk youths they serve.
[size=120]Don\'t know what to do next?  Don\'t worry.  We do.[/size]

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »
Hello, Edward Kahn!

So you are the marketing director for the IECA? Or maybe an online marketing content provider paid by Aspen? Or an educational consultant looking to drum up business?

Aspen Education Group is indeed one very finest top-notch profiteers in the troubled teen industry. Its parent company is CRC Health Group, Inc. of California, which is, in turn, owned by Bain Capital, LLC, headquartered in Boston with offices in New York, London, Munich, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo. In 2010, Aspen/CRC Health's annual report showed that the company’s average net income (so after costs) per youth per day in residential programs was $250.46, or clear and bankable profit of $91,417.90 per child per year. The outdoor division (the wilderness programs) is even more profitable, netting $440.23 per day or $160,683.95 per year.

Educational consultants are being paid for their referrals—the enterprising ones are, anyway—so let’s see, a 10% per head bounty would produce quite a comfortable living for an “ed con” if he or she found only 5-10 parents online who could be “scared straight” into sending their child to a program. Wow, I'm in the wrong business.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »
Im hoping this is parody.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 03:33:31 PM »
Quote from: "AuntieEm2"
Hello, Edward Kahn!

So you are the marketing director for the IECA? Or maybe an online marketing content provider paid by Aspen? Or an educational consultant looking to drum up business?

Aspen Education Group is indeed one very finest top-notch profiteers in the troubled teen industry. Its parent company is CRC Health Group, Inc. of California, which is, in turn, owned by Bain Capital, LLC, headquartered in Boston with offices in New York, London, Munich, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Tokyo. In 2010, Aspen/CRC Health's annual report showed that the company’s average net income (so after costs) per youth per day in residential programs was $250.46, or clear and bankable profit of $91,417.90 per child per year. The outdoor division (the wilderness programs) is even more profitable, netting $440.23 per day or $160,683.95 per year.

Educational consultants are being paid for their referrals—the enterprising ones are, anyway—so let’s see, a 10% per head bounty would produce quite a comfortable living for an “ed con” if he or she found only 5-10 parents online who could be “scared straight” into sending their child to a program. Wow, I'm in the wrong business.

AuntieEm2, I had no idea about the margins on wilderness therapy.  Do you have any contact information for Aspen's wilderness therapy marketing director?  I need to speak to him/her right away.  I have a few clients with at-risk children that would benefit from a year or more in wilderness therapy.  Do you think they would allow children to stay in the wilderness program for up to two years?  I'm thinking now that it might be even more effective than boarding school.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
Will you refer me to S.I.B.S. ?  Please,please o pretty please. Send the Straightmobile right away.I miss the 7 steps,and the 3 signs,really I do. Ive been searching for answers for oh so long,and an exit from my god-forsaken druggie ways.
   and my sarcastic, sacrosanct attitude is well, all consuming. Ill bet Im powerless,yeah.....thats the ticket. Only thing though, im kinda light on dough. I got laid off from my job puttin the lil plastic thingys on shoelaces,so im kinda tapped out.
   Gotta go...im gonna miss the amway convention if I miss the city bus again.
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Hello, seamus!  I have never used the SIBS school before.  Do you happen to know the commission schedule?  I'm willing to look into it.

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:32 AM »
Let's take a step back and keep things in perspective.  The most important thing is that these children had fun at the lake.  Good programs are fun for kids.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:47 AM »
Thank you, Ed Kahn, for keeping the "con" in Ed Con. I was much too impertinent earlier and should be sent straight to Straight, see my way to CEDU, or get my ass to Aspen.

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
Personally, I would recommend Aspen Education.  We can talk offline if you require placement assistance.

Offline Edward Kahn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
I would recommend Aspen Education.  Please give me a call at 1-888-SUCCESS and I will expedite your application.