Author Topic: NATSAP staying strong in todays economy.  (Read 6440 times)

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Re: NATSAP staying strong in todays economy.
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »
Welcome to the deck of the Titanic ladies and gentlemen, please enjoy our violinist Whooter while you climb into your life boats.

Whooter any word on a link to these financial claims you're making?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline AlanOregon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:43:50 PM »
I spent a great deal of time researching a program for my son, who is currently enrolled at Anasazi.  As an ex river guide, I had a number of friends that either worked or still work at programs run by Aspen Group or Anasazi.  I visited with staff from Red Cliff Ascent (an Aspen group program) and talked to "graduates" and parents.  While I have nothing bad to say about their programs, they are certainly oriented towards profit.  Anasazi is NOT associated with Aspen, it is the only non profit program of its sort.  It shares a common history with Aspen but I found the approach to be a very different one.  There is no doubt that the program's LDS roots run deep, and this was troubling for me.  But after talking with trail walkers that I knew, all of them were clear that while certain LDS concepts and philosophies are taught at Ananasazi (principally the LDS concept of Agency) there was never, on any level, any attempt to steer kids towards the LDS church, or even towards Christianity.  The program is unrepentantly spiritual though, to the point that it makes my son's step father--an atheist, uncomfortable.  I suspect that it would not be a very good fit for families that are not spiritually  oriented, nor would it necessarily be a good fit for families with a strongly dogmatic approach to spiritual issues.  Unlike Aspen, Anasazi demands a high level of parental participation.  There is a strong focus on the parents and how they have must engage in "forward walking" just like the kids.  As far as the food goes, it is basic-but not a surprise.  The parents receive a complete list of the food pack along with the amounts.  I am eating the same foods to be in solidarity with my son.  Not much fun, but I'm sure I'll feel better because of it.    I have been very impressed with the therapist that is working with our son and the way he "got" his strengths.  Weaknesses of the program I have seen so far, most of the trailwalkers ( the people who are with the kids day in and day out) are young and inexperienced--but really sincere).  They rotate them out of the field once a week so the kids in a "band" don't get continuity with them.  Also I've heard from ex trailwalkers that sometimes a "band"--the group of 4 to 9 kids-is really not ready for another newbie when one is added.

I'm sure I'll have other things to say as time goes on.  From talking to other parents, I wouldn't expect miracles.  But those parents that really seem to have worked the program and really looked at themselves seem to have had overwhelmingly positive experiences.

Offline Redditorsubmod

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
If they are in a wilderness area, it may be illegal to hunt and kill the fauna.

Offline brian23083

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:24:28 AM »
The kids are the ones receiving the bad press .
If they were all good well-adjusted little children then they would be living at home instead of residing in a program.  The riots, rapes, assaults and robberies just further justifies the decision their parents made and these kids need to be there versus running loose in society.  If these kids were fighting for a better education or something positive versus raping and assaulting each other I may agree with you.  Rarely do any of these kids continue to rape and assault people after completing the program.

Offline Maximillian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:05:49 AM »
:feedtrolls:  :agree:  :blabla:  :jerry:  :guesswho: ^stupid shill piece^

actual truth follows.

Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
NATSAP was started by Len Buccellato who has run two abusive programs, HLA and RCS.  RCS is currently getting a lot of bad press for riots, rapes, beatings, assaults and robberies right at the facility, many of which go unreported to police or oversight agencies.

Many programs are dropping out of NATSAP now because of this association with abusive programs like HLA/RCS but also because there were five NATSAP programs found to be abusing children and a child needlessly died in each of these programs.  Three are still in operation and currently enjoy NATSAP approval.

As news like this spreads, NATSAPS's membership and donations shrink, so I would need to see some financial statistics to show that the OP assertion is indeed true.  I have serious doubts.