Author Topic: Hyde's "independent" psych professionals  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Peg Armstrong's potential conflicts of interest
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 02:30:36 AM »
Ms. Armstrong, despite her longstanding association with and apparent loyalty to Hyde School, is presumably, first and foremost, a practicing LCSW in the real world. Her professional credentials imply a certain degree of adherence to widely accepted ethical standards in her chosen field. These standards are not explicitly spelled out, but issues and circumstances which evoke potential conflicts of interest, boundary violations, and potentially destructive dual relationships are generally recognized as best to be avoided wherever possible.

What happens if, say... a Hyde student wants to discuss some troubling issues vis a vis a fellow student or a Hyde faculty member, or disturbing confrontational dynamics that came about in Disco group, not knowing where else to turn? Will Ms. Armstrong be able to put the interests of the client first, as she is professionally expected to do, ahead of any consideration for Hyde and their "methods?"

And what happens if... some bona fide abuse or sexual transgression has already taken place, which, if it ever came out, could really cost Hyde School dearly in terms of the usual out of court settlement, not to mention the potential public relations backlash? What will Ms. Armstrong do? Will she do the right thing, and notify the authorities of this egregious event?

Or will she try to appease the student, downplay the event's significance, and point out how the student may, in fact, have been somehow responsible. It is, after all, Hyde's usual modus operandi to blame the victim and to try to hold them accountable for being abused or taken advantage of.

How convenient for Hyde if so.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Hyde's "independent" psych professionals
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »
These kinds of questions are especially pertinent given Ms. Armstrong's alleged activities while still a faculty member at Hyde School.

Here are some excerpts from material posted previously, colored emphasis added:

Quote from: "pdf reader"
Former Faculty

Peg Armstrong (Ben Brazier '04 Bath)
opened a new business in Bath (ME),
"Warrior Spirit," which features yoga
classes, Thai massage, and counseling

http://www.hyde.edu/ftpimages/107/downl ... 242111.pdf
Spring 2007?
Quote from: "hyde88"
I attended Hyde school (Bath) roughly during the years of 1987-1988. I never finished, I was a discipline problem and never quite cared for any of the staff. In my time at Hyde I saw, or participated in:

Seeing a student (Stuart Grenik sp(?)) being struck by Joseph Gauld Sr (I was not the only one witness to this)

A sexual relationship with a teacher (with me)

My parents being paid off by Hyde to not press charges in regards to certain violations (see aforementioned relationship).
Quote from: "hyde88"
The teacher I had a relationship was named Margaret 'Peg' Brazier. I believe she is in DC now.

The thread in which the above excerpts were originally posted: Honor

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: Hyde's "independent" psych professionals
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 01:06:06 AM »
:bump:

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Peg Armstrong's LinkedIn profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
Below is Peg Armstrong's LinkedIn profile. Interestingly, she claims to have worked at Hyde for over 17 years. Is this ... wholly factual?

Faculty, Director of Programs
    Hyde School

Educational Institution; Education Management industry
    April 1987 – June 2004 (17 years 3 months) | Bath, Maine and Washington, DC

-Director of Programs at Public Charter School in Washington, DC
    -Spanish Teacher, Coach and Dorm Parent at Hyde Bath[/list][/size]

Peg Armstrong
    Mental Health Professional, Yoga Teacher and Educator
    Portland, Maine Area | Mental Health Care

Current
        School Social Worker at Regional School Unit 1
        Owner at Prana Yoga[/list]
        Past
          Faculty, Director of Programs at
        Hyde School[/list]
        Education
          University of Maine
        Connections
          102 connections
        Websites
          Company Website
          Company Website[/list][/list][/size]
          Peg Armstrong's Summary

Peg is a licensed independent clinical social worker (LCSW), holds a 200 hour yoga teacher certification, and is a certified Thai Yoga Massage Practitioner. She works with groups and individuals to help people to gain insight and awareness of issues blocking their growth. For 30 years, she has worked as a counselor, teacher and consultant helping people to transform their lives by examining their personal values, awakening their courage to face challenges, and addressing issues holding them back. Peg has a powerful sense of balance and calm that helps people relax and express themselves.
          Peg Armstrong's Experience

School Social Worker
            Regional School Unit 1

Mental Health Care industry
            November 2007 – Present (4 years) | Morse High School

Providing clinical mental health services to high school students, and consultation with administrators, teachers, families and other mental health professionals to help young people to succeed and make healthy life choices.

Owner
            Prana Yoga

Health, Wellness and Fitness industry
            August 2006 – Present (5 years 3 months) | Bath, Maine

Integrating mind, body and spirit through yoga, Thai massage, mental health counseling and reflection, the mission of Prana Yoga is to help you to heal, transform, and live with courage and grace.

Faculty, Director of Programs
            Hyde School

Educational Institution; Education Management industry
            April 1987 – June 2004 (17 years 3 months) | Bath, Maine and Washington, DC

-Director of Programs at Public Charter School in Washington, DC
            -Spanish Teacher, Coach and Dorm Parent at Hyde Bath[/list]
            Peg Armstrong's Education

University of Maine
              MSW, Social Work and Education
              1991 – 1993

Activities and Societies: -Resident Director, Residential Life on Campus -Dance Company Member[/list]