Author Topic: United Nations report on Human Development  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
United Nations report on Human Development
« on: December 02, 2003, 08:01:00 PM »
Now let's turn to the latest Human Development Report (2003) from the United Nations.
Following are the figures for the period 1990 to 2000, that is the percentage of the population living below the income poverty line (includes all forms of income).

Slovakia                  2.1%
       Luxembourg            3.9%
       Czech Republic       4.9%
       Finland                   5.4%
       Sweden                   6.6%
       Hungary                  6.7%
       Norway                    6.9%
       Germany                 7.5%
       Belgium                  8.0%
       France                    8.0%
       Netherlands             8.1%
       Slovenia                   8.2%
       Poland                     8.6%
       Denmark                  9.2%
       Switzerland              9.3%
       Spain                      10.1%
       Austria                    10.6%
       Japan                      11.8%
        Ireland                    12.3%
        United Kingdom       12.5%
        Estonia                   12.3%
        CANADA                 12.8%
        Israel                       13.5%
        Italy                         14.2%
        Australia                  14.3%
        United States           17%

So, there we are, in a list of 26 "High Human Development Countries",U S IS THE WORST

One last point. If it wasn't so sad, it would be highly amusing to compare the OFFICIAL poverty rates in the U.S.A. with reality. The U.S. official measurement of poverty is so out of date, so ludicrous at 12.4% that no one except Americans pays attention when Washington publishes its annual poverty report.

One recent OECD report said that among OECD countries only Mexico at 26.2% had a higher child poverty rate " CO the U.S. at 23.2% (Canada was at 14.2%).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2003, 12:59:00 PM »
we are friggin greedy

the fact that babies are born in this country with birth defects due to lack of prenatal care and lack of food, is crazy.

Greed everyone saying get off your ass and work, show me a living wage?!

I do not care that my paycheck goes OR WENT! to welfare I really don't care sorry I am not that greedy. So what more of it lined politicans pockets and set everybody up with nukes until we are MAD (mutual assured destruction) and ready to go at anyones wim.

But feed a welfare mom Fuck no let her ass starve.

What experiences and history teach is this-that people and government never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it.

--G.W.F Hegel (1770-1831)

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
I don't want the money that I work for going to anything or anyone but the livlihood of my family. Don't take any of it. At $12 an hour thru a temp agency with no benefits, I can't support my family without help. No $$ of mine for anyone else, my wife nickel-and-dimes enough of it, lol. If I had it my way, I'd be gettin' paid under the table. I'm 100% against taxes. How could I not be, since I am 100% against government itself...Show me a government worth two shits and maybe I'll change my mind. Until then, NO ONE gets my vote.
FTA&FTB, Fr13

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »
Anarchy is one thing, but chaos is a myth. It doesn't exist in this universe.

We're actually supposed to all look after our own self interest. A wise person will easily recognize in every aspect of their lives that their own wellbeing depends largely on the wellbeing of their whole community and peaceful relations with other communities. Unwise people really never gain a whole lot of influence in a free market. It takes a lot of government interverence and coercion to get people to go along with anything not in their own best interest.

Just read up on world history between colonial days and the turn of the 20th century. America was kickin' it all over the planet! We had no standing armies, except the national guard, till after WWI. We occupied no foreign nations. We had no welfare state, no departments of education, agriculture, health or a whole slew of other federal "services" that we have come to accept as permanent and necessary. There was no income tax, either. And yet we were the only country capable of completing the Panama Canal and a transcontinental railway w/o slave labour.

For all the fretting and hand-wringing about how poor, underpriviledged people need government help, I think we were all a lot better off before the government started helping us so much. No one wanted to kill Americans in those days. Now we're converting our once free land into a police state because damned near everyone wants to kill us.

If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »
Good post Ginger. You have an enlightened outlook on society that I highly appreciate.

chaos is a myth. It doesn't exist in this universe

I disagree with you here though. Chaos is as real as a black hole.

[ This Message was edited by: Froderik13 on 2003-12-09 09:19 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2003, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks. But how is a black hole chaotic? Just because we don't (yet?) understand how they work doesn't mean it doesn't make perfect sense.

The right of self-defense is the first law of nature . . and when the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.

--St. George Tucker, in his edition of Blackstone's Commentaries

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2003, 02:04:00 PM »
Oh, they make sense, allright. They exist, therefore they make sense in that sense of making sense. My point was that they would be chaotic to anything that would get sucked into them. Ok, another example: A hurricane or tidal wave. Chaos.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2003, 12:16:00 PM »
Well, I know something about the chaos of a hurricane. I'll never forget what happened after Hurricane Andrew wiped out a large swath of Homestead, Florida. Water systems, communications (including the Doppler weather station), power and similar infrastructure systems were inoperative for days or weeks in some spots. Roadways were impassible, so police and emergency people couldn't get in to give aid and assistance. There was sporadic, but not really rampant, looting and price gouging and such unpleasant behavior.

Now, if you accept the notion that, without the imposition of government control, we all turn into murderous savages, then you'd expect to have seen a lot of rape, murder and total bedlem in the wake of that devistating storm. What happened instead was that FEMA set up checkpoints to keep people who wanted to go lend assistance from entering the worst areas. Many of them snuck around the roadblocks and went ahead wrecklessly delivering clean water, food and other necessities to the people stranded there. The biker clubs were an especially big help, as they had better mobility and practically no fear of authority. People already there formed loose organizations to look after kids and property while others took their bikes or hoofed it to go find water and other necessities.

In no time at all, people rebuilt or worked around all that had been torn down by the storm.

Chaos is like a vacume. The universe resists it and so does normal, default human nature.

To seek out the best through the whole Union, we must resort to the information which from the best of men, acting disinterestedly and with the purest motives, is sometimes incorrect.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson Letter to Elias Shipman and others of New Haven, July 12, 1801.

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 01:37:00 AM »
ahhh good old John Locke and the state of nature given the choice I believe I would of opted out of the social contract and taken my chances

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its
best state is but a necessary evil ---in its worst state an
intolerable one; for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same
miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without
government, our calamities is heightened by reflecting that we
furnish the means by which we suffer!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679433147/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Thomas Paine, Common Sense

or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline exsafecounselor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »
This is to the Anon who starte off this post.  I have 3 words for you-Standard of Living.  Enough Said!  If you think that people have more opportunities in Slovakia than you need to do a bit more homework.

[ This Message was edited by: exsafecounselor on 2004-01-02 11:54 ]
here is not a truth existing which I fear or would wish unknown to the whole world.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
eh, wrong.
The US only has a high standard of living in the media.  The middle * lower class are increasingly under pressure and the "concentration of capital"  (wealth) is ever going upwards.  Dream on, former safecounsellor.  SAFE is as much as anything a product of delusional thinking about the US's place in the world.
Funny how the Roman Empire collapsed.  Could be that Wolfowitz is showing us the way for US to self-destruct.  "Why do they hate us?"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 12:50:00 AM »
On 2003-12-08 09:59:00, kaydeejaded wrote:

I do not care that my paycheck goes OR WENT! to welfare I really don't care sorry I am not that greedy. So what more of it lined politicans pockets and set everybody up with nukes until we are MAD (mutual assured destruction) and ready to go at anyones wim.

But feed a welfare mom Fuck no let her ass starve.

But Kady, it's not going to welfare mothers. It's going to Haliburton and the DEA. That same impulse that makes you want to take care of ppl exists in all of us. There is no benefit, and great peril, to the intended beneficieries in turning this function of society over to the politicians. They are essentially major league lawyers. They're shrewd, seasoned bargainers and coalition builders. They fight mercilessly and win against weaker opponants.

Government is like a pack of half feral rottweilers. You want them to be big, beefy, strong and mean as snakes because they're there to protect you. However, you don't want to trust them with anyt other task but protecting the homestead. And if you let them off the chain, they'll terrorize your neighbors and our neighbors will, of necessity, coerce us into calling them off.

They're well equipped to do some things, but not this!

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled.
-- Plutarch

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »
ISIL's* 2003 World Conference
Vilnius, Lithuania
A Triumphant
Emergence from
Tyranny
by Vincent H. Miller

http://isil.org/resources/fnn/2003summe ... eport.html

*International Society for Individual Liberty

It really puzzles me to see Marijuana connected with Narcotics - Dope and all that crap?it's a thousand times better than whiskey - it's an Assistant - a friend.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002ORZ/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Louis Armstrong

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2004, 01:03:00 AM »
Ya' gotta click the "conference" link. You'll just shit!
http://isil.org/conference/

The college idealists who fill the ranks of the environmental movement seem willing to do absolutely anything to save the biosphere, except take science courses and learn something about it.

--P.J. O'Rourke

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
I'mmmmmm shittttinnng!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. The people who ran straight had the best of intentions. I hope they reached their destination.

http://stopsembler.org/' target='_new'>James Lloyd