Author Topic: RSC  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
    • http://ficanetwork.net
RSC
« on: December 02, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »
Does anyone remember R.ational S.elf C.ounseling?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Kathy
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."    ~Plato

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
RSC
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 06:43:00 PM »
Yeah, I remember a bit of it. Especially the 40yo pointy nosed, pencil knecked geek character we were all supposed to identify with.

668: The Neighbor of the Beast
--Anonymous Postman

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 09:53:00 PM »
I'll admit that I remember some of it. I'll bet if you do a search on fornits you'll find some old threads about on here. I read them last year after first finding the board...
I know, I'm avoiding the question, lol. If you want, we could begin with "cognitive dissonance."

http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/stephens/cdback.html

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/~jamesa/learning/dissonance.htm

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »
Is this the guy you're talking about???

Kathy

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »
Oops I guess I forgot how to do my html>>> I have a picture of old ralphie, if your can remind me how to post a pict. from my files.

Kathy
Kathy

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2003, 10:30:00 AM »
Damn! Where's the image? Is it on the net somewhere? Or on your computer?

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
--Herbert Spencer

Offline ehm

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2003, 06:03:00 PM »
the image thing hasn't work for a while...

It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 11:30:00 AM »
Images work. It's just plain ol'e html. But the image has to be on a server somewhere.

Say hi to Ralph!

I know that our bodies were made to thrive only in pure air, and the scenes in which pure air is found.
-- John Muir

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 11:36:00 PM »
Yes, I remember.  This is what I had to say about it in a post dated 6-24-03:

RSC: Rational Self Counseling or Rationalized Straight Crap?

I was going through some files the other day and came across the RBT Self Acceptance Script we were given in the early ?80?s when we started the RSC sessions. It?s interesting to read after all these years.

The opening line, ?I am a person with human dignity?. What a novel concept. It?s a shame that Straight forgot this notion.

Or how about this, ?Many times things happen that I don?t like. I will accept this by remembering that I can not control everything.? Well, this wasn?t exactly comforting when I was put on a third phase refresher for things I did not do.

Who can forget this, ??I can calmly remember that I have a choice.? Let?s be honest, did we really have choices?

And my personal favorite, ?Sometimes I make mistakes; this doesn?t mean I?m bad or wrong?No one knows everything.? How many times did egomaniacal staffers who thought they knew it all berate us for mistakes we made? Oh my God, Straight was cultivating mini Millers! I have this Austin Powersesque vision of Miller Newton- he?s sitting at his desk, he?s diabolically plotting and planning and he has a demented vision of what therapy should be and he says, ?I will call them mini me??

So, what did I learn from RSC? How to rationalize some of my irrational behavior. Well, I could go on, but I won?t. So, here it is in its entirety:

RBT Self Acceptance Script

I am a person with human dignity. What I do does not change me. Sometimes I make mistakes, and sometimes I do things very well, but I?m the same person.

I will continue to make some mistakes throughout my life because I?m not perfect: I am a fallible human being. However, because I?m a person, I also have the ability to learn. I can work on mistakes and learn to do what is necessary to change them. I can strive to ?do? better; I can not ?be? better. I already am a human being.

Past is in the past. I cannot change that. I regret some things I?ve done. I don?t like some things that have happened but I can?t change the past by staying upset and worried. I can?t guarantee the future by being worried either. I can change my feelings right now. I?m probably going to handle situations better if I?m calmer and more clearheaded. I am remembering that I am in control of my feelings. I control myself. I can?t always control the situation. Many times things happen that I don?t like. I will accept this by remembering that I can not control everything. If I don?t like it, I can do my best to do something about it, if I want to. If I don?t want to, I can calmly remember that I have a choice.

Other people control their decisions about their behavior. I am not responsible for what other people think, feel or do. I want to do my best to help others but their behavior is in their control. They decide what they do.

I do what I do because I can only act in light of my own experience, my own learning, and my own attitudes. Sometimes I make mistakes; this doesn?t mean I?m bad or wrong. Mistakes mean I don?t know everything. No one knows everything. I am a human being who has the ability to learn from my mistakes.

What people think or do cannot make me less of a person. I am me and no one can change me. I will continue to do things I do and make the mistakes I make until I change. I want to begin to change right now. I am accepting myself by remembering I am a fallible human being, just as good, just as worthwhile as other people.

Sometimes people do what I?m not expecting them to do. Sometimes it seems as if they don?t care. This is my interpretation of their behavior and I could be mistaken. However, even if it were true that some people are inconsiderate of me, and don?t really care about how I feel, I still do not have to get so upset about it.

Other people have a right to do what they do, and to think what they think. They do not have to care about me in order for me to be calm or even happy. Other people?s thought do not control or define my feelings; other people?s actions do not control or define my feelings.

I am a person with human dignity no matter what other people think of me. Even if they don?t think of me the way I would like, I can stand it. I don?t need the approval or caring of others in order to feel good about myself. I am the most important person in my life because I control my life.

I control my thoughts, feelings and behavior. I feel good about the things I do well and regret some things I don?t do well. I accept all those behaviors and myself.

I feel calm about myself; I feel acceptable to myself; I feel good about accepting myself.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
I  :fuckoff:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:59:28 PM by seamus »
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Therion

• View Profile
RSC
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 09:18:00 PM »
I dont know if that stuff is really necc bad to tell yourself..
 Granted its ironic that it was taught in Straight inc....But some of that shit could be useful..
 And no , Im not a supporter nor am I sober so dont start shit..
aving the way for the new breed of bad seed