Author Topic: FDA warning on SSRIs  (Read 42268 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2005, 02:54:00 AM »
On 2005-06-30 21:17:00, Deborah wrote:

"I made NO derogatory comments to you (or Tim) until you/she attacked me personally, rather than refuting the information I had posted.
Should I have ignored the personal attacks? Yeh, probably. But I?m not a saint. You and Tim both have used the 'bipolar' excuse for your rudeness. Having a psych dx sure hindered my nephew from learning the social skills he desperately needed- what I consider to be the crux of his 'problems'.

Advocating informed consent, honesty, and transparecy has nothing to do with eliminating your supply of drugs OR shutting down the industry. That may be the most ridiculous comment you?ve made so far. I wouldn?t waste my time on such an ill-fated agenda- they're here to stay.

Deborah, you are such a treasure. Really now.

So tell me, you never insulted me?

Tell me, your neighborhood has this dismal tract record of horrific stories.

You said you informed them of an option. Did they make their own choice. Do you have problem with that.

Are your examples true, because really, they sound false to me. Your family and neighborhood just fell apart, damn, I bet that sucked. Hey, did they all have a problem before seeking help, or did they seek help for no reason, and then develope their problems?

Say it again, in your neighborhood. Suiciedes, bad reactions to medication ... free choice?

Hey, wait a minute, I am getting off track here. Wasn't the question, as you posed to others ... what is your experience with medications. Make that a specific medication and not generalities, just as your request of others.

You stated: You and Tim both have used the 'bipolar' excuse for your rudeness.

Where do get off making those comments? Post the comments by Timoclea and I about Bipolar Disorder motivating our actions.

You, sadly, are melting down ...

Lucky you are on Fornits!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
or those who don\'t understand my position, on all subjects:

* Understand the law and your rights.

* Make sure you have the freedom of choice.

* Seek and receive unbiased information and
know the source of information.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2005, 03:23:00 AM »

" That may be the most ridiculous comment you?ve made so far. I wouldn?t waste my time on such an ill-fated agenda- they're here to stay.

"

Let me know when it is appropriate to call you full of shit.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »

My mother's neighbor and friend committed suicide while taking Paxil- his wife received a handsome settlement.

"

I am unaware of Paxil or any other medication losing a lawsuit. Please post information on this "handsome settlement" and what was the particulars of the case.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
Paul,
I think you're attempting to intentionally deceive people, but in case your genuinely ignorant, there are about 290,000 returns at google for paxil + lawsuit
Take a gander, you might learn something.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=paxil+%2B+lawsuit
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Paul

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2005, 02:39:00 PM »
On 2005-07-02 09:42:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Paul,

I think you're attempting to intentionally deceive people, but in case your genuinely ignorant, there are about 290,000 returns at google for paxil + lawsuit

Take a gander, you might learn something.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=paxil+%2B+lawsuit

"

I was interested in lawsuits in which Paxil lost,
not lawsuits that where filed

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2005, 03:20:00 PM »
Of course, then avail yourself to the 36,000+ returns for Paxil + settle
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=paxil+%2B+settle

Everything from murder, suicide, antitrust, overcharging Medicare/Caid, withholding research data, addiction, debilitating withdrawal symptoms. It's all there.

Excellent article on addiction/withdrawal:
http://citypages.com/databank/23/1141/article10788.asp
Another good one:
http://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/

But you wanted 'wins'. Well here are a couple. All the research I'm willing to do for your education.
http://www.counterpunch.org/giombetti0912.html
http://www.jamesesparza.com/paxil.htm

PS Paul, you have presented yourself as an authority on the subject. Why are you asking ME for this information? Lazy? Get those fingers working. Good exercise. Better yet, get a computer that can be powered by a treadmill. I hear exercise creates endorphines.
If someone requested to know the issues around Paxil, could you provide them with ALL they needed to know? If not, you can now, and will be acting irresponsible if you don't do so.

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2005-07-02 12:45 ]

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #277 on: July 21, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
http://www.indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096411278

Lyons: Fire and firewater in Native America
Posted: July 21, 2005
by: Scott Richard Lyons  
Excerpts:
There is a mental health crisis in Indian country, and its casualties are the young. From suicide clusters on the northern Plains to the school shooting at Red Lake, Native youth have spent this year issuing a collective cry for help more plaintive and more chilling than any since Wounded Knee.

There is no sadder evidence of this than the 17 teenagers who killed themselves in recent months at Cheyenne River. As Julie Garreau, executive director of the Cheyenne River Youth Project, recently testified: ''Some of these suicides were young men who had made a suicide pact with one another. They drew numbers, and decided to hang themselves in that order. One by one their families found these boys, often hanging in their homes, as their number came up.''

When I first heard that story - still reeling at the news from Red Lake - my immediate reaction was to wonder if the same might not be said for the human species as a whole. Was our number up, too? Are the kids simply taking themselves out first?

An overreaction, I'll admit. But this is a situation that compels a dramatic response.

Consider the numbers: While the suicide rate has fallen for most social groups in America, it is on the rise among teenagers and American Indians. According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the rate of suicide among American adolescents has tripled since 1960. The trends are even worse when the adolescents are Natives.

If you are an Indian, you are already 72 percent more likely to commit suicide than the average American, according to the IHS. If you are an Indian teen, however, you are over 300 percent more likely. And if you are a Native teenager living on the northern Plains, you are fully 10 times as likely to initiate your own death.

Of course, none of this is meant to detract from the successes of Native youths who are doing well. In fact, the ironic flipside of this crisis is the very good news that many young Indian lives are improving, as seen for example in certain indicators of academic performance and reduced poverty rates.

But we should not fall into the dangerous trap of thinking that only some of us - the ''abnormal'' - are afflicted with individual emotional problems right now. This is a community crisis.

First, we must understand what we're dealing with here: mass unhappiness. There is no lurking scientific mystery. What doctors call depression is simply a persistent unhappy emotional response to life: intense sadness, often accompanied by feelings of hopelessness, despair, self-loathing or guilt.

In the 19th century this emotional state was called ''melancholy,'' and it was believed to result from an excess of black bile in the body. During the 20th century it was termed ''depression,'' then designated as a ''disease,'' and finally described as a ''chemical imbalance'' in the brain. Soon it became common to speak of ''clinical depression.''

Whatever we call it, it's still unhappiness: an emotional response to life.

Everyone wants the pain to stop, but there is little agreement about how to do it. Increasingly in our society - the same society that invented the concept of clinical depression - the trend is to focus on chemical imbalances and medicines designed to correct them.

It is certainly true that unhappy emotions are the result of chemical reactions in the brain. So are all emotions. But there are significant problems with the idea of relying on drugs to regulate feelings.

I think sovereign indigenous nations should consider SSRI bans of their own, at least for people under the age of 18. There are no legal precedents against such a ban in Indian country, so why not? As a potentially dangerous panacea for troubled times, SSRIs just might be the new firewater.

At very least, no one can say with absolute certainty what SSRIs actually do. But we can all see what they cannot do.

Drugs cannot address the real social forces operative in peoples' lives. They do not counter the violence of poverty, abuse or addiction. They are unable to address the needs of an adequate diet, decent health care or a sustainable environment. They do not speak back to racism, historical trauma or low self-esteem. They are mute on the subjects of meaning, values or identity. They are unable to provide love.

Aren't these the burning issues facing American Indian teenagers today? Isn't this what started the fires at Cheyenne River, Red Lake and elsewhere? If the problem is mass unhappiness with life, what is the solution if not fixing life itself?

Scott Richard Lyons, Leech Lake Ojibwe, teaches writing, literature and Native American Studies at Syracuse University.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #278 on: July 21, 2005, 11:24:00 PM »
Deborah?  Respectfully, fuck you.

You have no idea what it's like to have one of the two most serious mental illnesses in existence, and you have no idea how *high function* I am for having that illness *at all*.

Am I perfectly normal?  NO.  And until they have a cure, I never will be.

Do you call people in wheelchairs "gimpy" for an encore?  Bitch them out for using their wheelchair as an "excuse" for taking all the *good* parking spaces?

Not just for me, but for everyone out there living with a major mental illness, or any of the other "silent" disabilities, fuck you you ignorant, idiotic, fool of a bitch.

There.  *Now* I've insulted you.  And you've never deserved it more.

Timoclea

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #279 on: July 21, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
Insulted me? No, but I am kinda curious about what you're in a rage about now. Guess I must have said something that insulted you.

Anyway, I actually came back to this thread to post a link to an interiew from WOAI in San Antonio. Good debate on the Cruise/Sheilds issue.

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/?videoId=135766,565

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #280 on: July 22, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
Timoclea is being rude because Deborah suggested that she used her bipolar disorder as an excuse for being rude. Who has the last laugh here?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #281 on: July 22, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Oh it that it?

Tim,
I'll give you the opportunity to retract your rude comments before I search WWF and post the links in which you apologized for attacking someone and then attribute it to your MI.

You can use the MI excuse, but I can't say that you do? How is that rational?

My comment wasn't a judgment or attack, it was a statement of fact.

I guess we just think differently out here on the 'fringe' in 'Moonbat Tinfoil hat' land.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #282 on: July 22, 2005, 09:46:00 AM »
There's a difference between an excuse and a reason.

An excuse is when you leave the house late for work, or late enough that everything has to go *perfectly* for you to get there on time, and then blame it on the traffic when you arrive late.

A reason is when you leave the house in plenty of time to get to work on time in average to heavy traffic and, when you arrive work late, blame it on the five car pile-up that closed three of five lanes of traffic for four hours.

Does bipolar disorder affect my behavior?  For damned sure it does.  It's a *reason*, not an excuse.

Calling it an excuse just proves that you, Deborah, have carried your Luddism so far that it's become bigotry.

I'm being nasty and insulting to you right now not because I'm bipolar but because you are a bigot.  Today, I'm stable.  At this moment, I am not in an unstable state from my mental illness.  At this moment, I am being hostile to you from full and frank conscious intention because you are a bigot and, frankly, as a result of your bigotry I hate your guts.

Sometimes (rarely) I do experience bipolar rages and "lose it" at someone when the cause is not them, it's my mental illness making me go "over the top."  I did that once with Perrigaud.  It's happened other times in my life.

It doesn't mean that *every* time I get pissed off at someone and say things that the cause is my mental illness.

I said things I didn't mean to Perrigaud because I was in the middle of a bipolar rage, which the doctors (not you in your omniscient bigotted "wisdom," of course) believe to be seizures in the brain, akin to epilepsy or the seizures that cause migraine headaches.

I'm saying things I very much *do* mean to you, because you're a bigotted, obnoxious bitch.

Rude? To you? You bet.  You brought my name back into a thread I hadn't been in for *weeks* just to insult *me* and I'm pissed off about it.

You don't recognize the difference between "reason" and "excuse" with respect to particular behaviors of mentally ill persons because you're a bigot.  You're just like the KKKer who looks at an illiterate African American kid with Down's Syndrome and says, "Of course he caint read.  Whaddya expect from them people.  Aw, they're just usin' some made-up sin-drome fer an excuse."

"Excuse" contains an inherent judgment.

No sale.  Fuck off and die.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #283 on: July 22, 2005, 10:01:00 AM »
On 2005-07-21 20:55:00, Deborah wrote:

"

Insulted me? No, but I am kinda curious about what you're in a rage about now. Guess I must have said something that insulted you.

Anyway, I actually came back to this thread to post a link to an interiew from WOAI in San Antonio. Good debate on the Cruise/Sheilds issue.

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/?videoId=135766,565"

This isn't a bipolar rage.  This is me being pissed off at you and telling you to fuck off.

You brought my name into a thread I hadn't been in for weeks, and brought it in solely to say that in some previous instance(s) when I was symptomatic that I was using my condition as "an excuse"--which contained the unmistakeable innuendo that those particular cases weren't symptoms of a neurological condition I never had any choice about having.

Now, by using the term "rage" you're implying that this is the same thing as that.

No, Deborah, I'm not in a bipolar rage.  I'm saying these things because my real opinion of you is that you're a bigotted, luddite bitch.  I'm saying these things now, as opposed to some other time, because you're bringing me up for no damned reason except to be nasty pissed me off.

Notice, I'm not saying I've never been nasty to you, because I have.  I'm also not saying that I like you, because I don't.  I'm just saying that this particular time I was minding my own business and not involved at all and *you* stepped up and started something and expected me to just let the slam go by without comment.

And frankly, I probably will from now on let any gratuitous slams of me, by you, when I'm not around and not actively participating in a thread go unanswered.  After this, I have nothing more to say to you.  I just wanted the satisfaction of telling you what I thought of you first.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
FDA warning on SSRIs
« Reply #284 on: July 22, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »
Okay, it had been a few days instead of weeks.  Same point.  A whole lot of posts had gone by since I'd had anything to do with the thread.

It's not that I don't think Deborah has every reason to respond in kind to my obvious dislike of her.

Of course she does.  We've had words before and I don't expect to tell somebody what I think of them without them having the option of returning the favor.

I get pissed off when anybody blames obvious symptoms of mental illness on someone who's mentally ill in the unrealistic expectation that a mentally ill person is going to be able to, always and everywhere, behave as if they were not mentally ill.

Yeah, it was more personal because she was talking about me, obviously.

But for people who have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, even when they're usually stable on medication, and medication compliant, and seeing their psychiatrist as often as the doctor thinks they need to be seen, and doing any therapy their doctor has recommended---even when we're taking care of all of that very carefully, I've never met a person with either disorder who doesn't still sometimes have symptoms which affect their thoughts and behavior.

Medication, if they're lucky, can make someone with a mental illness not dangerous and even stable.  It cannot make them normal.

People have people they like and people they dislike.  People get in arguments and have words with each other, sometimes to the point of outright fights.

It's possible to have a strong personal dislike of someone who happens to be a different race than you, or a different religion, or a different sexual orientation, or have a disability, and you can get in a verbal brawl with them without hurling racial slurs, religious epithets, gay/straight slurs, or disability-based slurs.  It's possible to have a total knock-down drag out, or keep your dislike within courteous bounds, either one---without descending to the level of slurs that display one's bigotry.

It's also possible to make brief asides that are phrased *almost* innocuously that are incredibly bigotted.

It doesn't really matter to the bigotry level of a statement whether it had been five weeks or five minutes, but if it had been "in the heat of battle" I might have made allowances.

If she had said I was a flake, or a nut, or a rotten bitch, or pick a slur, my emotional response would have been, "Yeah, I hate you too."

What I'm pissed off about is the very idea that anything unpleasant that differs from normal behavior that someone with a mental illness does, where it's specifically symptomatic of what they've got, gets labelled "using [X] as an excuse" by Deborah and people like her.

When George has a fight with John because they can't stand each other, that's one thing.  When George makes John's being gay the issue, it's no longer just about George and John hating each other, it becomes about George's homophobia.  Even if what George has said is, "John says he was 'born that way' and uses that as an excuse to screw around with other guys."

George will then, predictably, say, "What'd I do?  I'm just stating the facts."  Yeah, right.

Done with Deborah.

Timoclea