Author Topic: Other quotes from insane times  (Read 5941 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Other quotes from insane times
« on: November 17, 2003, 09:30:00 AM »
"my first reaction was awe. I actually was spellbound. After that first open meeting, my wife and I did not speak during the trip home. Our thoughts were so taken up in what we had witnessed. Some people call it brainwashing. If that's what it is, then give it to me".

A seed parent being interviewed by Staff writer Judy MckNight, St Pete Times, Circa 3/73.

No laws, however stringent, can make the idle industrious, the thriftless provident, or the drunken sober
--Samuel Stiles

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »
"I feel so happy, I was so scared. I wasn't honest with myself and my teachers. I love you"

"Love ya Gidget".

A seedling newcomer being forced to give a public confession at open meeting, and the "groups" response, as witnessed by the St Pete Times, circa 1973

Homeschool is self regulating. The school board is not going to have illiterate useless people living in their homes forever if they don't have a working education policy.

--Sisterbluerose

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »
"I ego tripped today when I stood up and related to the group and got praise for how good I related. My head really got big when John and the other staff members praised my relating".

A newcomer's "private" moral inventory, turned over to the St Pete independent and published for all to read, including the name of the Seed Foster Home (The Phillis Kennedy home).

Step 1. We came to understand that the government is powerless over people's private use of drugs and that the War on Drugs was making the government's life unmanageable.

--Scott Tillinghast

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
"we want to open some doors and find out exactly what is going on in The Seed and how they can take one person from one extreme to another. We're going to try to find out how they can almost kidnap somebody and take them without the person having any say-so".

Bod Gephart,  chairman of the "The open mind" committee, which planned a demonstration against the Seed St Pete. The committe was formed when his close friend was sent to the Seed and he was unable to contact him.

Time is running out. The Indians' botanical knowledge is disappearing even faster than the plants themselves.

--Richard Schultes, Harvard University educator, authority on medicinal plants

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »
"The newspaper articles are what really put the nail in the coffin for the local program".

Claude Greene, Seed spokesman, speaking of the closing of the St Pete Seed, 10/75

Legalizing drugs would simultaneously reduce the amount of crime and raise the quality of law enforcement. Can you conceive of any other measure that would accomplish so much to promote law and order?  
--Economist Milton Friedman

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
"Art and Shelly and a couple of staff members were its real downfall. Art's money-happy and he is power-happy".

Jean Rose, mother of a seed staff member, on the closing of the St Pete Seed to the St Pete times, 10/75. Mrs. Rose said everything was donated to the Seed, her son only made $65 dollars every two weeks as a staff member, and the Seed was "demanding money on the line".  

St Pete times, 10/19/1975

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 10:51 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 11:02:00 AM »
"The whole trick is to make you feel like the lowest scum of the Earth. I knew it was wrong. I wanted to stand up there and tell them they were all full of it but I didn't know my court order was phony".

Archie Mcrimmon, former seed employee, describing the "come down on you therapy", remembered that Seedlings were forced to stand up in front of the whole group of Seedlings and listen to hours of abuse and also reflecting that he stayed there because he was told he was court ordered, which later turned out to be phony.

St Pete times   10/19/1975

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
-- John Muir

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 09:05 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 11:09:00 AM »
"being dead was about the best thing I could think of. I thought about how peaceful I'll be. There won't be no more Seed. I can't stand this anymore."

a 16 year old girl, whom had only smoked pot prior to being admitted to The Seed, speaking to Margaret Leonard, times staff writer. The girl had attempted to slash her wrists in the Seed bathroom by hiding a razor in her pants. She broke off the plastic part and cut half her wrist. Her oldcomer was standing outside the stall. Her attempt only cut thru the first layer of skin.  The staff told her...
"Don't tell your parents. You know you just did it for attention and your mom's gone thru enough. You don't need to hurt her anymore."

The girl ran from the Seed and lived in the woods near her mother's house for a week, unable to trust her mother enough to go home, fearing she would be placed back in the Seed.

Once she got home, her mother reported to the paper, "It was a mistake."  The Girl reported to the paper that she was still confused and found it hard to trust people.

Source... St Pete Times.

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 09:07 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »
"what is meant by backbiting, or critizing behind one's back?  Some comrades have something to say about other comrades, but they never speak out openly. They always TALK BEHIND ONE'S BACK...then this can be called critisizing behind one's back, which is prohibited by the Party."

From a captured communist Chinese document, as reported in the book  "Brainwashing in Red China, the Calculated Destruction of Men's minds."

Seed Rules

NO TALKING BEHIND ANYONES BACK.

[ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2003-11-17 16:26 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »
"Yes, He'll be ok...he died"

Mother of a seedling upon answering her front door for another seedling who stopped by to pick him up to go to group. The mother explained that he wouldn't be going to group, that Jimmy went around to the side of the house and shot himself earlier that day.

Jimmy was a shy introverted kid that was being "treated" with incessent come down on sessions at the Ft Lauderdale Seed.

Source...The SDF, Surfdal.

[ This Message was edited by: Somejoker on 2003-11-17 16:27 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 01:25:00 PM »
"This is not to say that all behavior therapy is inherently evil. Many types of therapy which result in the modification of behavior have proved beneficial to our society. But whenever such therapies are applied to alter men's minds, extreme care must be taken to prevent the infringement of individual rights"

then Senator Sam J. Ervin Jr., prefacing his report, "Individual rights and the federal role in behavior modification."  The report likened The Seed to "the highly refined brainwashing techniques employed by the North Koreans in the early 1950s."

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »
"Arthur Barker has done considerable political maneuvering to circumvent local authorities and deflect questions raised about his program...The public support generated in part on the basis of apparently unfounded claims of success, has provided the basis for establsihing considerable influence in political circles."

Report of the house committe on interstate and foreign affairs. The committe recommended a freeze on additional federal financing of the seed.

Do you support drug prohibition because it finances criminals at home or because it finances terrorists abroad?
--Anonymous

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 01:33:00 PM »
"if any credence is to be given to the observations of the national, state and local experts, then the serious possibility exists that those who complete The Seed may return to drug use or develop other serious psychological, emotional or behavioral difficulties"

From the House congressional committee staff report.

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 10:37 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »
"There are indications that a cult of The Seed has developed which leads seedlings to associate only with other seedlings and to ostracize those who associate with non seedlings....this has lead to the formation of continuing  limited peer groups outside the program.."

From the House staff report

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 10:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-17 15:52 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
"If you don't, she will die".

Told to a potential Seed parent by a Seed father. The mother then called the girl out of class by telling her she had a doctors appointment, and the Seed father then, according to the girl, kidnapped her from St Pete Catholic  and beat her on school premise. The Girl showed an evening independent reporter black and blue marks on her legs which she claimed resulted from the incident. The resulting scuffle in which the girl screamed and kicked as she was dragged to the car was witnessed by teachers and students in the schoolyard.

No charges were filed against the man by the St Pete police. The chief of police was a Seed parent.

The St Pete Independent  6/74

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'>Mark Twain