Author Topic: rantings of a meglomaniac  (Read 7176 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
rantings of a meglomaniac
« on: November 13, 2003, 02:11:00 PM »
"I don't mean to just stop with a Seed in Pinellas. That might be the community which would be the right place for another dream I have.  I can see a university type of complex with young people trained there who have come from all over the country to take the program back to their own communities.  After Pinellas, we'll be getting a Seed going in Jacksonville. Then there will be no Flordia area uncovered....I see Seeds all over the country"

Art Barker to The now defunct Evening Independent 2-1-73 prior to the opening of the St Pete Seed.  The paper initially supported The Seed and had a Seed parent writing pro-seed articles. Eventually the Seed, amid controversy over brainwashing and a kipnapping at a local school by Seed parents, lost favor with the newspaper.

If you think yourself too wise to involve
yourself in government, you will be governed
by those too foolish to govern.  
--Plato

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-15 06:31 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »
"Picture in your mind a moment, $250 saves one young person from a life of drugs with one of three alternatives-death, imprisonment, or psychiatric hospitalization. What an investment-$250 for one life!

Art Barker's 1973 testimony before a house education subcommittee.

From the bottom of any large organization looking up through the ranks, human greed and stupidity look a lot like a conspiracy.
--S. Gilbert

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 12:05:00 PM »
"The man is a liar and a fool."
"The psychiatrists can't do a damn thing with kids on drugs"

Speaking of Dr. Raymond Killinger, a Ft lauderdale psychiatrists who claimed to be treating "an increasing number" of children who entered psychiatric hospitals after being harmed by the Seed.  Art Barker had recieved his own "degree in Psychology"  by a Ft Lauderdale Diploma mill that was later closed down by the state of Florida in 1972.

source:  These are new times 9/6/74.

Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following
pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them
general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong,
gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises
at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom.  But the
tumult soon subsides.  Time makes more converts than reason.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679433147/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Thomas Paine, Common Sense

[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2003-11-14 11:34 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »
"its a form of brainwashing"

Art Barker, speaking of the techniques of the seed,  to the Miami Herald   8/19/72

To go to Journal of Applied Polymer Science go to http://www3.interscience.wiley.com and then journal search and put the journal number and year
-- Journal of Applied Polymer Science  Vol. 47, 1984

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 12:18:00 PM »
"they criticize us...they say we're a circus or a penecostal movement. Well, let me tell you, I don't care what they say. This program WORKS."

Art, speaking in front of the Ft Lauderdale seed group, as witnessed by the Miami herald reporter 8/19/72.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. ... All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
--Hermann Goering, Luftwaffe commander, sentenced to death at Nuremberg

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 12:25:00 PM »
"Its a handfull of Idiots who control the funding who are our enemies"

Art Barker, speaking of Dr. Tom Carroll and the other members of the Dade comprehensive Drug Program who had received a grant for 3.3 million and distributed among 20 other Dade drug agencies. The Seed didn't get a chunk of the money because they weren't established in Dade county when the grant was established. The seed closed the miami branch and moved 1400 kids to the Ft lauderdale branch overnight.

source  Miami herald   9/23/73

For something that has spread with all the forethought of kudzu, the Internet isn't half bad."
-- Newsweek, 2/27/95

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
"the report is a huge joke, it is full of lies, deceit and innuendoes. It is loaded with slanderous comments about me....I am here to save lives, not to get you to like me."

Art Barker, to a Dade county task force, who had just issued a report that was 75 percent favorable to the seed but criticised his claimed 90% success rate (The HPC had determined the Seed had a 41% drop out rate) and also criticised his derogatory remarks about other drug programs, his poor doumentation, and that the Seed treated very view minority groups.  Art responded that this was "garbage".

Source  9/17/82 Miami Herald.

It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »
"cheap, crummy politics"

Art Barker, in response to the City of Sunrise's decision to not contribute money because of Art Barker's accounting procedures.

St Pete Times.

Bureaucracy defends the status quo long past the time when the quo has lost its status
--Laurence J. Peter

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
"they come in here and I might just as easily bawl them out as anybody else."

Art Barker, speaking of the inluential parents of seedlings.

St pete times.

When Plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in a society, they create for themselves in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
--Fredric Bastiat

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »
"A kid being totally off drugs, his whole attitude toward life being changed, he loves himself, he loves others, loves God, Loves country, is totally honest and aware"

Art Barker, science, vol 182

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0826400035/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Gandhi

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 01:36:00 PM »
"they are either druggies or they are fools"

Art Barker, speaking of his critics.

These are new times  

for it is a truth, which the experience of all ages has attested, that the people are commonly most in danger when the means of insuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.    
--Alexander Hamilton

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 01:39:00 PM »
"he even knows what I am thinking right now"

Current Mayor of Dania Beach and longtime Seedling Robert Chunn, speaking of Art Barker earlier this year to a reporter while traveling in a car.

...the people have a right to keep and bear arms.
-- Patrick Henry and George Mason Debates

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2003, 01:44:00 PM »
"Listen, we get the rough kids, the rotten ones. We're the court of last resort. One-third of the kids here today have said they had close friends who died of overdoses, but not even that stopped them. They'd shoot any kind of garbage into their arms. Even water for a quick jolt."

Art Barker to the Miami Herald   8/19/72

Clancy's Law: The perceived role of governments is to deploy ever increasing resources to the attainment of  ever diminishing end results.
--Home Page

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2003, 01:46:00 PM »
"the ones who come in with overdoses....we don't use any drugs to cure them, either. Sometimes I'll give them fake pills. This'll make you feel good, I say. After 72 hours, there sleeping like babies."

Art Barker, describing how he detoxed the occasional addict or overdose brought in.

miami herald.

Speculations on the Origin of Human Intelligence: "In defense of the Pygmies, perhaps I should note that a friend of mine who has spent time with them says that for such activities as the patient stalking and hunting of mammals and fish they prepare themselves through marijuana intoxication, which helps to make the long waits, boring to anyone further evolved than a Komodo dragon, at least moderately tolerable. Ganja is, he says, their only cultivated crop. It would be wryly interesting if in human history the cultivation  of marijuana led generally to the invention of agriculture, and thereby to civilization.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345346297/103-2574067-9409467/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Carl Sagan - The Dragons of Eden - 1977

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2003, 01:51:00 PM »
"We keep a check on everybody who passes through our hands.....we've got a great CIA agency. IF kids reestablish contact with their old pusher, we hear about it..."

Art Barker to the miami herald describing the snitch system seedlings were required to participate in.

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.  I'm certainly not!  But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am!  
-- Monty Python