Author Topic: Thoughts about Egypt and America's relationship  (Read 1287 times)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
Thoughts about Egypt and America's relationship
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:33 PM »
Wait wait, let me get this straight: Mubarak, a known American Stooge, gets run out of power by his own people and now we're going to proclaim victory for the forces of Democracy. We support the cruelest dictators for the sake of American business interests & when the shit hits the fan we try to seize the moral high ground. I feel an attack of Deja Moo? (the feeling that I've heard this bullshit before).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts about Egypt and America's relationship
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:05:57 AM »
"The U.S. is trying to play a two-sided game. The New York Times, which is highly supportive of U.S. foreign policy, suggests that the U.S. government seeks a form of stage-managed democratization in Egypt. Ross Douthat states: "[L]ook closer, and it's clear that the [Obama] administration's real goal has been to dispense with Mubarak while keeping the dictator's military subordinates very much in charge. If the Obama White House has its way, any opening to democracy will be carefully stage-managed by an insider like Omar Suleiman [the current vice-president of Egypt], the former general and Egyptian intelligence chief who's best known in Washington for his cooperation with the C.I.A.'s rendition program. This isn't softheaded peacenik dithering. It's cold blooded realpolitik." [5]
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=23050

"NLJ: Your book talks about Egypt as an example of where this policy took place. What does it say?

MC: Egypt is discussed throughout the book, especially in Jane Mayer's chapter, a writer for The New Yorker. She talks about Egypt as being the most common destination for suspects that are sent by the U.S. for interrogation and ultimately torture. It's called "extraordinary rendition." And she describes the rendering of Ibn al–Shaykh al-Libi to Egypt, where he was tortured and made false confessions cited by Colin Powell when he appeared in the U.N. Security Council seeking approval for the U.S. invasion of Iraq. The CIA knew it was a false confession, and he later recanted his confession"
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=23255
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992