Author Topic: How was your Halloween?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« on: November 03, 2003, 12:38:00 AM »
As usual, I was running a tad late getting set up on the porch and the little devils showed up for candy as I was getting the keyboards plugged in and the amplifier set right, and made sure nobody could trip over the cords and stuff.  The cold front did'nt come and my Darth Vader helmet kept fogging up, so I finally had to ditch it and put on a cowboy hat.  Meanwhile Charo, my Macaw was screaming like Janet Leigh in the shower scene, cuz she felt left out and I finally had to go and let her onto my shoulder.

This year I alternated between Edgar Winter and John Lee Hooker and played along as best I could with the Fat Strat.  I faced the keyboards out so that the kids could join in and some of the older ones did and had a lot of fun.  I gave out around twenty bucks worth of candy in all, and a neighbor had to make a run for more candy before it was all over.  There were alot of damn kids this year.  The black kids made me kind of sad though.  Their parents trucked them in as usual, but most did not even have a costume.  They showed up in freaking Underoos for crying out loud!!  Instead of decorative bags, they had their freaking school backpacks to collect candy in, and they got quite a haul of it too!

I saw it as an economic indicator, as to just how bad the economy has gotten.  At least they were respectful, and said please and thank you, but it broke my heart to see so many of the little ones that could not even afford a decent costume.  There were also quite a few Middle School aged kids out there and they really went all out.  They no doubt were victims of the 9-11 fear machine, and were making up for what they were robbed of earlier.  These kids had mostly home made costumes that were far superior to store bought crap and it really made my night to see so many of them having fun.  What really surprised the hell out of me was that there were no acts of vandalism at all.  Not one pumpkin grabbed off a porch and smashed into the street.  All in all, it was a sucess!  I'dd like to hear from the rest of you guys, on how things went for you.......later, Bob in St. Pete
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »
It's so different here. In my town, paranoia rules the day. The do trick-or-treating on the Saturday before Halloween in the daytime! Sucks! But, on the other hand, we have a real celebrity horror effects guy who runs a school and a seasonal haunted house http://www.terrormania.net/

In the next town, I don't know if they do regular trick-or-treat or not in the neighborhood. They do have a downtown celebration, though, with trick or treat up and down mainstreat, a parade complete with a marching band that's really pretty damned good for a small town high school band. This year, they had a magic show afterward.

My daughter was telling me that things had changed somewhat back to normal back in Pompano. Of course, she wasn't there for Halloween. But just generally, people of all ages out walking, hanging out, living in the neighborhood again. Cops still don't like it and try to intimidate them and make them stay off the street. But it seems to be not working anymore for some reason. Just waiting for the spell to break in my new little town.

Don't worry about the ones without costumes. It's really more about getting into the spirit than about money. This year, they're out there and you showed them a damned good time. Next year, maybe, their moms or big brothers or someone will help them turn bags and hand-me-downs into creative get-ups.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
--Edmund Burke

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 09:50:00 AM »
After tightening a hose that was leaking coolant on my voyager, I came home to some hectic preparation for the night. Finally the kids were in their costumes. The oldest (7) was Glinda and the youngest (3) was Dorothy. Yes, The Wizard of Oz. My wife took them around with some other folks and I hung in and listened to The Birthday Party and the Misfits, and other stuff. When they got back, I took the oldest up to a neighborhood where they love to celebrate Halloween. People were out on their lawns in chairs, drinking, playing mandolins, and there are all kinds of cool decorations, displays and costumes. One house had a 15-foot tall reaper with strobe lights set up, spooky silouettes in all the windows, it looked great. There was all kinds of stuff like this. Intricately carved pumpkins, etc. My kid was kinda let down that there was no "haunted tunnel" set up this year, like there was a couple years ago...but oh well. I told her I'd take her to a real haunted house someday.

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »
Well, where I live, we are in what is called an "un-restricted" neighborhood.  That means two things, first, that everyone has at least an acre or more of land as their property lot, making for a lot of walking on Halloween, and second, one of the last places in this area where you can paint your house electric blue, shoot guns, own horses, or stand in front of your bathroom window naked, even if you dont have curtains or blinds.

Being all alone this year (hubby is out on a job) with my little one, I thought I would try and make it a nice normal fun night for us.  I dressed him up, took some pictures bought 800 pounds of candy for the trick or treaters that I knew would never come....got the good stuff too, all chocolate, no cheater hard candy.  Carved a punkin, watched Charlie Brown and had a generally nice time.  About half way into it though, I just lost it.  

I started thinking about last year when I dressed Gabrielle up as a fairy, but she ended up looking like two dogs that got into a fight with a paintball gun.  I started to really miss her, not that I dont miss her anyway....but REALLY miss her.  Deegan was a little fussy, he wasnt really enjoying mommy sticking a big black greasepaint marker all over his face trying to give him whiskers.....so I packed it up, shut it down....took some Ambien and hit the hay.   He was probably thankful that mommy quit doing all this weird stuff, making him look crazy and so forth.    I slept really well, but it was my first real Holiday without her.  I really thought I would be just fine, having it be Deeg's first and all, and I made it all the way until the evening....I guess this is what I have to expect for the first year.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »
Carmel, I'm sorry you had such a rough time. It'll get better.

When we are pleading with foreign governments to stop the flow of cocaine, it is the height of hypocrisy for the US to export tobacco.  Years from now, our nation will look back on this application of free trade policy and find it scandalous.

1989 testimony before the US Trade Representative,September 1989
--Surgeon General, Everett Koop

Offline ehm

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 08:37:00 AM »
Sounds like you handled it the very best you could. *Sends love your way*

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington

Offline LeeBunnys

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 01:09:00 PM »
Hey Froderik...I was reading your post, you said you were listening to "The Birthday Party" I have them on right now!! Spooky (Twilight Zone music) I dont know many people that have even heard of them! Do you listen to COIL at all?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
Think I've heard of them, though I could just be thinking of This Mortal Coil. Which BP album are you listening to? I've been jonesing to hear "Junkyard" lately..

Offline LeeBunnys

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »
You should check out COIL,I bet you'd like them. The Birthday Party CD that I have is one that I got offline, it has songs like "shes hit" "several sins" "nick the stripper" "Fear of Gun" 21 songs in total. Do you listen to Tricky at all? Mayeb I should email you personally instead of typing all this here!

Offline ehm

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »
i like coil. there was a summer in the 90's that i listened to them quite a bit along with the cure. (disintegration) i love this mortal coil and nick cave/the birthday party too. i want to listen to murder ballads now... :skull:

On 2003-11-05 10:09:00, LeeBunnys wrote:

"Hey Froderik...I was reading your post, you said you were listening to "The Birthday Party" I have them on right now!! Spooky (Twilight Zone music) I dont know many people that have even heard of them! Do you listen to COIL at all?"

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
--Thomas Paine

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2003, 10:14:00 PM »
we will kill them we will kill them

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »
I'm beginning to notice a pattern here...  :lol:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
How was your Halloween?
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
Any continuity to the topics?

There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in
everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation.
--Herbert Spencer