Author Topic: Ridge Creek "School" - Unpaid Staff and Resident Riot  (Read 16254 times)

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
Re: Ridge Creek "School" - Unpaid Staff and Resident Riot
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
Quote from: "browneyes"
I tried to get a police report for the incident on January 16th through the LCSO but was unable to due to the fact that it was a Juvenile case. Was told the only way that someone could get one would be through a Juvenile Judge.

Found this:

Juvenile Criminal Records
•Under Georgia law, most criminal records relating to juveniles (17 years or younger) are restricted and may not be released to the public. However, there are instances under Georgia law where juvenile records pertaining to certain crimes may be disclosed to the public. Under law, records of arrest, incident reports and closed case files for offenses exclusively under the jurisdiction of state superior court involving minors 13 years and older may be released to the public if the offense in question was murder, voluntary manslaughter, rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, aggravated sexual battery or armed robbery. Incident reports and arrest records of juveniles 13 years and older relating to certain felony offenses under the jurisdiction of the state juvenile court may also be released to the public if the offense in question was a second or subsequent charge of possession of a handgun, kidnapping, first- or second-degree arson, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, robbery, battery of school personnel, attempted murder, attempted kidnapping, hijacking a motor vehicle, or possession or manufacture of a "destructive device," such as a bomb.

Records of arrest or incident reports relating to certain offenses under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court may be released to the public regardless of the age of the juvenile at the time of the offense. These offenses are possession of a weapon on or near school property, a second or subsequent charge of hoaxing an explosive device, drug trafficking, criminal racketeering, participation in a criminal street gang, escape from custody for a felony offense and theft of a motor vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »
Can anybody confirm whether or not these employees got paid?  Any updates on the "riot"?
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline RCSworkhorse

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
I am not sure anyone made mention of the article published in The Dahlonega Nugget on 1/26/11. I was unable to find a link on the Nugget website...sorry! Anyhow it was Police Officer Darren Martin's account of the incident. Essentialy it sounds like early in the day on 1/16 a majority of the student body threatened to initiate a mass walk-out. Apparently the majority of the students did not follow through however it appears a group of students not only walked out but caused a massive amount of property damage. Students were breaking into buildings attempting to access phones, throwing rocks, breaking windows and the police officer stated the Student Activity Center was completely trashed! A few students even went so far as to break into a near by church in attempts to access a phone.
Another piece of notable info mentioned in the article was that 4 students were picked up by police on 1/15 for loitering at the Dahlonega Walmart at 4am. It turned out that they were Ridge Creek Runaways...and no one at RCS bothered to inform the police...it is their written P&P to do so. Even if a student if older than 18 it is required according to RCS policy that the shift leader contact police, as a courtesy if the are 18 or older OR to file missing persons if under age.
'
In the paper Len Buccelato's was reported stating it was "not a major incident" and went on to say "the campus is operating as usual"....that's the issue folks...this kind of stuff has become status quo at RCS. If these kind of incidents are considered "business as usual" is this really a safe place for students or staff???

This whole thing is so sad...the campus has so much potential...if only the leadership was different!

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:49 PM »
Interesting.  Whom exactly 'owns' the paper?  The editor is Wayne Knuckles.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »
Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
Interesting.  Whom exactly 'owns' the paper?  The editor is Wayne Knuckles.

Where is the "AJC" in all of this?? They just don't care?? I am beginning to wonder for two reasons, one that they don't post this for political reasons and or two they don't post this because they don't want to frighten the community around this campus, again for political reasons.
In all this is bs, someone is going to get seriously hurt/killed one of these times.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »
You've got that right.  ACCESS NORTH GEORGIA has a tip section online.

The Dahlonega Nugget  - The article was in the paper, but was not "front page," so it did not make the online "cut", I am told.   Obviously most beneficial for Ridge Creek.
If one wishes to order a "paper copy" they can do so by calling the Nugget.

Offline Onlytruth

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:18 PM »
Chris and Len continue to lie to parents and this letter is just one example.  Funny how Len stated in the Nugget that this was not a major incident.  Does that mean this kind of stuff happens all the time?  Is this the norm?  What a joke! Len and Chris both have high self-efficacy and low competence which makes for very dangerous leadership.  If you are a parent of a student at Ridge Creek, I urge you to withdraw you child before they are subject to any more abuse.  I am telling you the staff have no training and do not know how to deal with the students.  Several well trained and very competent staff have worked at Ridge Creek, but due to the poor leadership from Len and Chris, they have quit or been let go.  I know several staff who did great things for Ridge Creek, but were let go because they stood up to Len and Chris and demanded positive change.  Len and Chris's ego could not handle it.  I feel sorry for the students.  Please, Please get those students out of Ridge Creek before someone really gets hurt.

Offline browneyes

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 09:15:39 PM »
Everything about RCS is a LIE.  Any parents considering this place or have a child there should read and listen to the people on this page.
Take your child out........I did.

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
Well, if you paid advanced tuition....good luck ...

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 06:07:59 AM »
Horse, can you scan the article and post it here???

Quote from: "RCSworkhorse"
I am not sure anyone made mention of the article published in The Dahlonega Nugget on 1/26/11. I was unable to find a link on the Nugget website...sorry! Anyhow it was Police Officer Darren Martin's account of the incident. Essentialy it sounds like early in the day on 1/16 a majority of the student body threatened to initiate a mass walk-out. Apparently the majority of the students did not follow through however it appears a group of students not only walked out but caused a massive amount of property damage. Students were breaking into buildings attempting to access phones, throwing rocks, breaking windows and the police officer stated the Student Activity Center was completely trashed! A few students even went so far as to break into a near by church in attempts to access a phone.
Another piece of notable info mentioned in the article was that 4 students were picked up by police on 1/15 for loitering at the Dahlonega Walmart at 4am. It turned out that they were Ridge Creek Runaways...and no one at RCS bothered to inform the police...it is their written P&P to do so. Even if a student if older than 18 it is required according to RCS policy that the shift leader contact police, as a courtesy if the are 18 or older OR to file missing persons if under age.
'
In the paper Len Buccelato's was reported stating it was "not a major incident" and went on to say "the campus is operating as usual"....that's the issue folks...this kind of stuff has become status quo at RCS. If these kind of incidents are considered "business as usual" is this really a safe place for students or staff???

This whole thing is so sad...the campus has so much potential...if only the leadership was different!

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
How about the 1/26/11 Dahlonega Nugget e-edition?
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:29 AM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Horse, can you scan the article and post it here???

'

According to the Dahlonega Nugget website, anyone who is a print subscriber automatically also has access to their e-edition. This is different from what's available, for free, to the world at large.

The e-edition would appear to be scanned docs of the print edition, complete with photos, etc., since it's all in PDF form. [Could someone who IS a print subscriber please confirm that?]

Portal to access e-editions

One can also subscribe to the e-edition (sans the print edition) for $27.00/year.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
'

Re: Ridge Creek School - Serious Safety Issues/ORS Violation
by RCSworkhorse » 14 Dec 2010, 23:51

"I reviwed the ORS report. I was a staff at RCS during part of this time frame. Though I did not have a good experience at RCS as an employee, some of the citations are rediculous! Especially in regards to the Wilderness Intervention. First, the students were all provided with a sleeping pad and a down sleeping bag in addition to thermal layers in case it got cold. The students were required to assist in the preparation of food but staff helped with food prep and were provided 3 square meals and two snacks each day. Students were also provided two, one litre water bottles and a were given access to water coolers and were encouraged to fill up many times throughout the day. The Solo was a 24 hour period where students slept in individual tents, closely monitored by staff. Students could not talk to other students but could talk to staff any time they wanted...this was about self-control, learning to delay gratification and having time to reflect about what behaviors they did that got them sent to intervention. Once solo was over the group slept in a group shelter called a Tabin (not a tavern). The beds were indeed metal frames with a wood slab on top...like a box spring. Students had sleeping pads, sleeping bags and their pillows. This may have been one of the most therapeutic things that happened on campus during my short time there. Students had to learn about self-reliance and independant thinking--not following peers who are doing negative behaviors. Each day students engaged in therapeutic groups, community projects and worked on academics and therapeutic assignments and learned how to hold each other accountable. As you can tell i am a big believer in the power of outdoor therapeutic programs! Many students returning from those interventions made huge progress behaviorally even after only 7 days and many of them have continued on that path of sucess. Also know that the interventions occured during warm months.

Though many a shadey thing has happened on that campus the staff members who work directly with the students are good people who during my time there made the best effort they could to support students given their limited training and supports. The biggest limitations to the program are the decision makers and higher-ups in Administration.

ok...I will get off my soap box now!"
END QUOTE

I am a little confused.  Perhaps you can help.  RCS Wildrness aka Ridge Creek, Inc.the OCI(outdoor child caring institution) on ORS inspection date 08/23/2010 - Ridge Creek stated there were no children active and Ridge Creek Wilderness did not expect any until the Spring.  "Interventions" to Ridge Creek Wilderness were to cease years back from the regular program of the sister school, formerly HLA, then/ now RCS.  You stated "interventions" in the above Dec.14th post as ' former' staff???  Ridge Creek Wilderness was not to hold further "interventions" from the sister school HLA/RCS, remaining a separate entity, entirely.  Are you stating RCS still used "interventions" to Ridge Creek Wilderness after the ORS regulation in 2006-2007?  Also, the staff listing under Ridge Creek Wilderness is HEAVY, considering, according to the ORS 08/23/2010, the program is not/was not operational.  Which is it?  Thanks.

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 12:57:18 PM »
Here is the confirmation from the Dahlonega Nugget that this riot at RCS, not to be confused with the other riot at RCS last fall, did in fact happen on Sunday the 16th of January and that Chris Grimwood mistakenly said "Sunday the 17th" in his letter to RCS parents.

Quote from: "Jill Ryan"
FROM jANUARY 26TH, 2011 - THE DAHLONEGA NUGGET

Deputies respond
to disturbance at
Ridge Creek

By Matt Aiken
The Nugget
Local deputies responded
to reports of a disturbance
at Ridge Creek Academy last
weekend as multiple students
reportedly began to infl ict
damage on school property.
The incident began last
Sunday morning with a
threatened walk-out by a majority
of the students at the
school formerly known as
Hidden Lake Academy.
“About 45 students got upset
and said they were leaving
and there was no way they
could stop them,” said Investigator
Darren Martin of the
Lumpkin County Sheriff’s
Offi ce.
A majority of those students
never left the Camp
Wahsega Road campus, or
even caused any damage to
the buildings since the shortlived
rebellion was quickly
quelled by staff members as
well as other students who
convinced most of the teenagers
to stay put.
However, a few hours later,
several students began to
break into buildings and destroy
school property.
Offi cers arrived on the
scene and reportedly spotted
students running around
campus throwing rocks at
windows. Some set off fi re
extinguishers while others
knocked over offi ce equipment,
stated the report.
“The student activities
center took the brunt of the
damage,” said Martin. “Some
of the students were wrapping
up shirts and jackets
around their hands and busting
up windows.”
A report fi lled out by Deputy
Brad Farris described the
building as “demolished.”
“Many windows broken,
fi re extinguishers
had been sprayed, glass
[was]everywhere,” stated the
report.
Four students, three 17-
year-olds and a 16-year-old,
were arrested and issued
juvenile complaints for the
charges of unruly child,
criminal trespass and criminal
damage to property.
Some students fl ed into
the surrounding woods.
It was later discovered
that these runaway teens had
hiked to Pleasant Hill Baptist
Church where they reportedly
broke into the Camp
Wahsega Road sanctuary and
searched for a phone. There
was none.
“The whole idea was to go
to that church and call somebody,”
said Martin.
Martin said nothing appeared
to be stolen from the
church besides a blanket.
He added that four Ridge
Creek students had also been
picked up, at 4 a.m., the morning
before the incident at the
Wal-Mart parking lot.
“They were trying to pass
themselves off as college
students or locals,” he said.
“They said they were waiting
on a ride from someone from
the Gainesville area.”
Martin said the Ridge
Creek staff had not reported
the students as missing from
the school, but once their
identities were confi rmed
they were returned to campus.
Of those students, two
were involved in the reported
destruction of property which
took place later that day.
On Monday Len Buccellato,
owner of the boarding
school, said the incident was
“not a major event.”
“The campus is operating
as usual,” he said. “Some new
students decided to do a walkout
and campus is now operating
as normal. This was
only a very small portion of
the student body who did the
walkout.”

Sorry about the formatting, but I don't have time right now to reformat it properly...

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 01:16:43 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
Here is the confirmation from the Dahlonega Nugget that this riot at RCS, not to be confused with the other riot at RCS last fall, did in fact happen on Sunday the 16th of January and that Chris Grimwood mistakenly said "Sunday the 17th" in his letter to RCS parents.
Quote from: "Matt Aiken of the Dahlonega Nugget, on Jan. 26th, 2011"
The incident began last Sunday morning with a threatened walk-out by a majority of the students at the school formerly known as Hidden Lake Academy.
Not to be splitting hairs too much, but... I wish it were more unequivocal re. which "last Sunday" they're talking about. From the wording of the article, it could also mean Sunday, January 23rd.

@Jill: Was this from the e-edition, accessed as noted above?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Jill Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 01:28:30 PM »
“About 45 students got upset
and said they were leaving
and there was no way they
could stop them,” said Investigator
Darren Martin of the
Lumpkin County Sheriff’s
Offi ce."
the incident was
“not a major event.”
“The campus is operating
as usual,” he said. “Some new
students decided to do a walkout
and campus is now operating
as normal. This was
only a very small portion of
the student body who did the
walkout
.”

Interesting .... Whom would one choose to believe?