Author Topic: The Great Republican Purge  (Read 2296 times)

Offline heretik

• View Profile
The Great Republican Purge
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »

Why does the Republican Party have a problem with America?????

http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/01/gre ... ican-purge

The Great Republican Purge

— By Stephanie Mencimer
| Fri Jan. 14, 2011 11:13 AM PST

UPDATE 5:24 PM: Wisconsin Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus won the nomination for the RNC chair.

UPDATE 4:40 PM: Michael Steele dropped out of the chairman's race on Friday afternoon and endorsed Maria Cino as his replacment. In the next round of voting, Wisconsin Republican Party chairman Reince Priebus pulled ahead of the pack with 80 votes, needing 85 to win.

ORIGINAL POST: Officially, Republicans are meeting today to select a new chairman of the Republican National Committee. Unofficially, they are about to finally purge the party of any last vestiges of moderation.

The RNC's 168 members will decide the fate of Michael Steele in a major vote to select their next chairman. The election has been closely watched, as Steele has been highly unpopular in many corners of the party. The race is also drawing a lot of attention because, for the first time, outside groups like the tea party-allied FreedomWorks have sought to influence the outcome.

It wasn't so long ago that the RNC was headed up by former tobacco lobbyist and current Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, who irked social conservatives recently by suggesting that there was room in the party for pro-choice candidates. Ken Mehlman, the RNC chair during the second term of George W. Bush, turned out to be a closeted gay man who has come out in support of gay marriage. But it was clear even last month at two debates for the chairman's race that neither Barbour nor Mehlman would have a prayer of winning back their old jobs today. In the last RNC chair debate, Steele, the lone black man, was the only one of six candidates who rejected a narrow view of the Republican Party. He argued the GOP has room for some ideological diversity and that it might actually need those voices to appeal to the larger American public. He's likely to go down in flames today, toppled by someone who has supported platform purity. Steele's ouster is being engineered by a host of conservatives, most notably Indiana RNC represenative and GOP legal eagle James Bopp.

Last month, Bopp, the longtime counsel to the National Right to Life, joined with the tea party group FreedomWorks to host a forum for RNC chairman candidates in a very public effort to help unseat Steele. Bopp did not support Steele in the last election because of his involvement with the Republican Leadership Council, a political action committee co-founded by pro-choice former New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman and other moderate Republicans who sought to make the party more socially inclusive.

Bopp has been on the forefront of a movement to shrink the GOP's big tent and ensure that it only supports candidates who commit to a fairly limited conservative agenda, and who notably also don't support positions in conflict with the RNC platform on issues like abortion. His activism in the RNC chairman's race is as much an anti-moderate movement as it is an anti-Steele campaign.

Last year at this meeting, Bopp attempted to pass a resolution, commonly called the "purity pledge," though he insists that it really should be called an "80 percent pure" test or the Reagan Doctrine. This, he explained to me, refers to the principle that if someone agrees with you 80 percent of the time, he's your friend. The resolution would have required a viable candidate to hold positions in line with at least eight out of the 10 laid out by the RNC. Bopp's resolution failed, but a similar measure succeeded.

The tea party has also spurred efforts to purge the party of moderate Republicans, and those are on public display in the fight over the next RNC chairman. (Those sentiments have also prompted a rules change that might be called the "Arlen Specter resolution," which will force RNC-backed candidates to sign a contract requiring them to give back any committee money if they change parties down the road.)

Bopp didn't offer up any resolutions this year, but he was at the RNC meeting this week working behind the scenes to elect a slate of candidates for RNC offices who would make sure that the RNC didn't back any candidates who strayed too far outside the social conservative platform. Publicly, he is backing former Wisconsin GOP chairman Reince Priebus, who is leading in the votes to become the next chair. Bopp told me he decided to endorse Priebus, who had been the RNC general counsel under Steele, because he had been assured by many of his pro-life clients in Wisconsin that Priebus is a true conservative who played a key role in merging the state's Republican Party with the tea party movement.

But Bopp could have pretty much supported anyone running for chairman this year aside from Steele. At a recent debate, it was clear that the slate of candidates challenging Steele was almost entirely homogeneous, all white but also universally committed to a narrow view of Republican orthodoxy. Bopp, who was at Friday’s event wearing a suit decorated with a host of campaign stickers for his various candidates, explained that the Barbour/Steele days are pretty much over. "The last three elections have demonstrated we must adhere to principle," he said. "The last election showed that conservatism is universally popular. We tried moderate—nominating McCain [in 2008]—and we got the shit kicked out of us."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: The Great Republican Purge
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:16:44 PM »
Great post, Heretik.  The RNC is cleaning house, closing ranks and getting ready for 2012 while the Democrats falter and struggle with Obama and decide if they want to back him for a 2nd term and lose.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:44:17 AM »
the democrats are gonna struggle,(I predict a major spin-fest here) with Obama,because............
  This is not the Obama administration, Its the wall st administration. How many troops has Obama brought home? Didnt he just send 30k MORE troops to Afganistan?What about getting us out of nafta?Is it my imagination ,or didnt he run for office spouting off on these issues? What has he delivered on?    False hope. Pocket change. I remember sittin ina bar (why do my lil tales usually start off with this?) on election eve, and how people were acting like its the fucking second coming of christ or something,and thinkin' to myself just wait till the shine wears off of this guy......again, politics as usual. ::)
It\'d be sad if it wernt so funny,It\'d be funny if it wernt so sad

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:36 AM »
Quote from: "seamus"
the democrats are gonna struggle,(I predict a major spin-fest here) with Obama,because............
  This is not the Obama administration, Its the wall st administration. How many troops has Obama brought home? Didnt he just send 30k MORE troops to Afganistan?What about getting us out of nafta?Is it my imagination ,or didnt he run for office spouting off on these issues? What has he delivered on?    False hope. Pocket change.

Duped again, gullible as those who buy from infomercials, you morons (not you, seamus) deserve the sheisters you elect! Time for a change, indeed. Just because the guy was black people assumed he would be different? Assumed he wouldn't turn out to be an "Uncle Tom"? Guess you all got fooled again, eh?

Increase in troops sent overseas, no nullification of the Patriot Act (as promised), the NAFTA thing, the shitty health care plan, I could go on and on...

And when you start talking about how much it sucks, people immediately start in with the finger-pointing at the Republican side (well-trained by NBC) instead of taking a step back and looking at the big picture.. Like you are saying, seamus (and like I've said on here before), two sides of the same shit-covered ass!! Dempublicans! Republicrats! (That one was Ginger's.)

A continual "lesser-of-two-evils" vicious cycle instead of something better outside of both parties.

Offline heretik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
  This is not the Obama administration, Its the wall st administration. How many troops has Obama brought home? Didnt he just send 30k MORE troops to Afganistan?What about getting us out of nafta?Is it my imagination ,or didnt he run for office spouting off on these issues? What has he delivered on?    False hope. Pocket change.

Duped again, gullible as those who buy from infomercials, you morons (not you, seamus) deserve the sheisters you elect. Time for a change, indeed. Just because the guy was black people assumed he would be different? Assumed he wouldn't turn out to be an "Uncle Tom"? Guess you all got fooled again, eh? Bunch of idiots, I feel sorry for you, I really do.  

Increase in troops sent overseas, no nullification of the Patriot Act (as promised), the NAFTA thing, the shitty health care plan, I could go on and on...

If you start talking about how much it sucks, people immediately start in with the finger-pointing at the Republican side (well-trained by NBC) instead of taking a step back and looking at the big picture.. Like you are saying, seamus (and like I've said on here before), two sides of the same shit-covered ass!! Dempublicans! Republicrats! (That one was Ginger's.) A continual vicious cycle of the "lesser-of-two-evils" instead of something better that is outside of both parties.

OBama has done as much (so far) as any other President and we will see over the next 2 years what happens. We are a little premature on Health Care it hasn't even got off the ground yet, really. Please, do we really think we are going to find a American (right now) with enough moxie and clout to come in to the White House and fix NAFTA and Wall Street????? Inside or Outside of the current two party system!!!!
A two party system that is "fucking" us!!!! This is no major revelation. They are crooks, just look at the politician from Texas, Tom Delay, who was convicted of laundering money through the RNC to help other politicians/comgressmen in Texas. He did it and it was against the written law of the State of Texas and broke federal laws, his response was, "I did nothing wrong, there is nothing wrong with what I did". Just like every inmate in prison says.  
Republicans were duped into thinking that if they replace all the Democrates, well we will get the right Gov't now. They will fix this mess. Everybody misses the point. The Congress of our United States (all 576) are bought and paid for and have a vested package that includes Health Care and Retirement, for life. Paid for by you and me.
So they do have a "Health Care Plan" and they do have "Wall Street Plan" bought and paid for by Americans. Isn't that called double penetration, yes we are fucked mighty fine.
I suppose we can blame this all on Obama. Well you Repub's run the Congress now, lets see how you do over the next 2 years. Lets see how you spin this "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »
Seamus wrote:
"What about getting us out of nafta?"

What about the mexican statocasters?
?©?€~¥@

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »
Quote from: "heretik"
I suppose we can blame this all on Obama. Well you Repub's run the Congress now, lets see how you do over the next 2 years. Lets see how you spin this "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

Bottom line is that the Democrats have had the house, senate and White House and could not get the job done.  In fact they managed to increase the size of the government, believe it or not.  Its time for them to step aside and let someone else step in and reduce the number of government programs, get their hands out of small businesses and taxes and let America do what it does best and that is create jobs and compete against each other and the world.  

Its time that America gets back to work and focus on those people interested in working for a living and moving this country forward.  We have more safety nets for people who dont want to work than any other country in the world.

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
Quote from: "none-ya"
Seamus wrote:
"What about getting us out of nafta?"

What about the mexican statocasters?
sorry, mines a 79 or 80 body wilh a 71 neck bothmade un the us, I play tellys almost exclusivly any hoo,! jap, the rest us made. My buddy rich has a mexi-caster thats more high end that is passable though. Best electric I ever owned was a 61 telly. It and my j200 got burned up ina fire bout 85 or so. that telly had a great neck. current favorite telly....gotta be my b bender,got 3 joe bardens in it.then I go to me frankentelly( l/h neck on a rt hand body,dimarzio dually,in front,joe barden inthe back.....rarely play the strat though. :nods:

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
Oh yeah,seamus is NOT a republican, I am a regitered independant,and I have voted for democats at times. The lamest fuck I ever voted for was(GASP).........Ronald reagan........Hey It was my first time voting ,whaddya want? :rofl:
 All im sayin is obama is wallstreets bitch, just like w was the military/industrial/oil companies bitch. Aint shit changed,and shit aint gonna change either......Whichever mope winds up inthe white house next will be somebody elses bitch.ad nauseun, infinitum... ::deadhorse::  :nods:

Offline none-ya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
Oh yeah,seamus is NOT a republican, I am a regitered independant,and I have voted for democats at times. The lamest fuck I ever voted for was(GASP).........Ronald reagan........Hey It was my first time voting ,whaddya want? :rofl:
 All im sayin is obama is wallstreets bitch, just like w was the military/industrial/oil companies bitch. Aint shit changed,and shit aint gonna change either......Whichever mope winds up inthe white house next will be somebody elses bitch.ad nauseun, infinitum... ::deadhorse::  :nods:

That's quite a leap from Raganite to bluesman.
?©?€~¥@

Offline seamus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
nah, not so much......reganite nah just couldnt go with jimmy carter....was kind naive at the time too. sides i knew what a vestopol tuning was before iknew reagan for anything other than bonzo.....I was a registered democrat at one time too so.......Id like to vote for the best choice...but anymore there isn one..theres only the lesser of two evils, thats just weak.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:16:44 AM »
.theres only the lesser of two evils, thats just weak.

:tup:

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 12:22:14 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

Duped again, gullible as those who buy from infomercials, you morons (not you, seamus) deserve the sheisters you elect! Time for a change, indeed. Just because the guy was black people assumed he would be different? Assumed he wouldn't turn out to be an "Uncle Tom"? Guess you all got fooled again, eh?

No, because of the things he was saying that he would do, which I am admittedly disappointed in for not much follow-thru.  

The shitty healthcare was attributable to the Repubs insisting on watering it down to where it was a shell of what Obama wanted.  Dems have ZERO backbone to stand up to the bullies working for the healthcare industry.

And when you start talking about how much it sucks, people immediately start in with the finger-pointing at the Republican side (well-trained by NBC) instead of taking a step back and looking at the big picture.. Like you are saying, seamus (and like I've said on here before), two sides of the same shit-covered ass!! Dempublicans! Republicrats! (That one was Ginger's.)

Agreed to a certain extent, but hte Repubs have looooooong ago sold themselves to the corporations.

A continual "lesser-of-two-evils" vicious cycle instead of something better outside of both parties.

:tup:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa