Author Topic: Ansonia High School Boot Camp  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Ansonia High School Boot Camp
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:08:18 AM »
Instead of court, high school students who violate some rule can attend a boot camp style Judo training in the morning. How much of a boot camp it really is, is hard to say as everyone who likes Judo can attend. The text ends with the teacher wishing for 12 to 15 students. It cannot a hope for 12 to 15 persons to violate rules.

Here is the text:

Ansonia Launches High School Boot Camp, by Tony Spinelli, Valley Independent Sentinel, January 13, 2011

The theory is simple.

If you can get out of bed at 4:45 a.m. and be at Ansonia High School by 5:30 a.m., busting out 50 pushups and running laps through the school halls, then you are building discipline — discipline that will keep you out of trouble.

That’s how School Resource Officer Michael Barry envisions his new Morning Boot Camp program at Ansonia High School.

Students who break the rules — minor brushes with the law — have an option now to go to Morning Boot Camp, rather than go to court. The program aims to help those students learn the discipline to stay out of trouble in the future.

“I had a lot of disorderly conduct arrests,” Officer Barry said. “Not violence, but things like cursing at a teacher, engaging in offensive behavior. So instead of giving them a juvenile court summons, they come here with me eight days in the morning. They know if they don’t show up, they’ll be going to court.”

The program uses judo to teach the students discipline and help them get into shape.

Students not in trouble, but are just interested in getting in shape and learning judo, also can attend the sessions, which run Monday through Thursday at 5:30 a.m.

The program was approved by the Board of Education under a grant and began several weeks ago.

One juvenile offender has been through the program so far. Nine other students interested in learning judo also signed up. Four of those attend the early morning sessions regularly.

The school district and police department hope to use the program to reduce an over-reliance on arrests to handle school disciplinary matters, according to Superintendent Carol Merlone.

“I think it is a win-win opportunity for our students,” Merlone said.

The Training

Judo, an Olympic sport, focuses on athleticism more than self-defense.

Barry, in top shape at 41, is a third-degree black belt in San Yama style Ju Jitsu, a style based out of New Rochelle, N.Y., where he has trained for about 12 years. There is much overlap with Ju Jitsu and judo, so Barry is equally qualified to teach the sporting aspects of judo.

“The judo is really what I focus on more than the Ju Jitsu, because I don’t want any striking. The judo is more of a sport, it’s more of physical education, more of a cardiovascular workout. We can do it in competition,” Barry said.

On a recent freezing January morning, the four regulars — Collin Addis, Joseph Calderon, Matt Castillo, and Radick Kret — trained in free-style judo combat.

The students worked on techniques such as the Ippon Seio-nage, a shoulder throw, and Koshi Garuma, a head throw.

“It’s all pushing and pulling,” Barry said of the judo moves.

The boot camp is held at 5:30 a.m. because it was the only gym time available.

“I always wanted to study judo, I thought it would be fun, and it’s available now so I might as well,” said Addiss, who is 15.

It’s exercise, but it has an edge.

“For me, it’s the thrill of fighting,” said Castillo.

Officer Barry

Barry has been the school resource officer for 18 months. He has been on the police force for nearly five years.

“I knew there was something more I could be doing for the kids,” Barry said of his initiative to start the boot camp program.

Barry left a longtime career in construction, building high-rise buildings, citing a need for a greater sense of accomplishment in his life.

“I felt something was missing,” Barry said. “I wanted to help people.”

Merlone said the program is unique. She hasn’t heard of another similar program in the state.

“We put our students first. It was not a difficult decision to allow this offering,” Merlone said.

Police Chief Kevin Hale also thinks highly of the program.

“I hope it makes a difference. He’s doing something about it, really jumping in feet first,” Hale said of the program and Barry. “I think it is going to work out well.”

It’s just the beginning for the program. Barry said he hopes more students sign up and get into the judo spirit.

“I’d like to have at least 12 to 15 students,” Barry said.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »