Author Topic: The No Soft Drink Challenge  (Read 19310 times)

Offline Hedge

• View Profile
Re: The No Soft Drink Challenge
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
I like protein shakes, too. I read somewhere that the body can only process about 20 grams of protein at a time, so I try to space it out if I have one that has lots in it.

I like Ensure, too, even though it's expensive. So easy to grab a bottle and head out the door.

(I haven't had a soda with sugar in years - Diet Coke is my drink of choice. I think it's worth trying to give up or limit artificial sweeteners though!)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 07:26:26 PM »
Keep it up Hedge! Not sure about the protein thing, I used to drink massive protein shakes after working out, but it only made me do horrible things in the bathroom that a proper gentleman shouldn't discuss in gentle company. Now I tend to just munch on dried wasabi peas and such for protein, get plenty of it from that.

Offline Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 01:40:28 PM »
Yes! The horrible things in the bathroom is what happens because your body can't process the protein!

I love wasabi peas too. My desk drawer is empty without them.

So: today I did a "creature of habit" thing: when I went to my favorite spot for veggie dogs downtown, I got a diet soda. (At least it's a diet orange cream, so I didn't blow it for my usual b.s.  :roflmao: )

Number of diet sodas since start of challenge: 1

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
number of sodas: 0
number of diet sodas: 0

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 09:16:12 PM »

I have one like this that has a handle on it. It is perfect for loose leaf green tea and such. The wire mesh screen that you can see poking down a bit under the lid keeps you from having to drink tea through your teeth. Anyway, the restaurant I lost mine at had it waiting for me when I walked in last night. I haven't been there in nearly three weeks and I had already bought another one. Well I lost the second one on a bus trip and went back to the restaurant for dinner and they gave me back my first one.

Back in business, and business is good.

Green tea provides all of my caffenine needs without the sugar and it is chock full of decent stuff.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:01 AM »
Gookin, I just made "cowboy tea" (as well as 'cowboy coffee' with finely ground blends, but i digress...) I used to go down and get the tea leaves from the Asian grocery store in Baltimore...green tea, black tea, i liked them both. I'd just throw the leaves in a tea pot or cup and let them settle. (That contraption you have looks like a good thing to travel with, though.) I got myself a wok, read some recipe books, and cooked stir-fried dishes with plum sauce, etc. I guess you could say it was an interest for a while..

I really have no desire for soda, but if coffee is a vice I'm a goner.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
My brain feels naked
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »
When I first read it, I had silently wished all participants well, while deciding to opt out.

I’ve done this before with some success, but ultimately found that soda was a necessity in lieu of Adderall and then in addition to…
Now I’ve been home with the flu and have slept through thirty of the past forty-eight hours. I’ve decided that since the caffeine withdrawal symptoms would be indistinguishable from my current condition, I might give going without my 591.470591 cc regimen of Dr. Pepper a try. I’m drinking rooibos right now and I can augment with B-12 and green tea capsules as needed.

This might actually suck worse than transitioning to valerian root, but we’ll see.

Edited to add:
@Frod What are "Cowboy Tea" and "Cowboy Coffee"?
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: My brain feels naked
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
Edited to add:
@Frod What are "Cowboy Tea" and "Cowboy Coffee"?

Just a slang (used in reference to coffee only, really) for brewing without a filter.. just simmer and let the grounds (this works better when they are finely ground) sink to the bottom...

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 01:08:02 AM »
No soft drinks as of yet..

but god damn.. I'm craving a coke something fierce today.. Got these pangs for eating something sweet as well. Might go get some frozen yogurt or something to stave em off.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
Survived the day.. No soft drinks.. drank so much green tea that I suddenly started having a bit of an anxiety episode. hahah.. great stuff.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 02:33:28 AM »
Che: Maybe, try switching to Kava tea (if you have milkthistle with it) when ^ happens?

Hedge: yeah, that creature of habit thing that happened to you happened to me tonight. About halfway through my meal and beverage the “Doh” moment hit me. I had just thoughtlessly fallen short of my vow to abstain from soda. I totally forgot!

This caused my friend to quote Batman (or to quote someone who was talking to Batman IDK) and it was advised that we fall so we can pick ourselves up again.
I considered these sage words as I finished the last of the glass.
Still, I’ll try again.
I might be challenge challenged at the moment so if another setback occurs I’ll table this one in favor of other fronts. :dose:

Frod:I think Cowboy Coffee and tea might be too gritty for me, but I used to have some of those pretty teas that bloom as they steep…I should get more of those to see if that’ll tip the balance.

And good job Che!
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
I'd have to ask one of the Chinese teachers to hunt kava tea for me then. Still no softdrinks either. So far so good.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 02:47:26 AM »
so far, so good.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
Still no dreaded horrible soft drinks.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 07:20:58 AM »
still going strong, no soft drinks. Had one hell of a piss up last night. Stuck with orange juice and vodka instead of jim and coke. Damn good night.