Author Topic: Is psychiatric hospitalization better than a program?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Bandit73

• View Profile
Re: Is psychiatric hospitalization better than a program?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
Is psychiatric hospitalization better than a program?

Psychiatric hospitalization IS a program!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 02:43:33 PM »
:karma:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:16:15 AM by Eliscu2 »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 03:41:15 PM »
Quote from: "Maximilian"
I noticed a lot of kids in the hospitals would stay for very short periods of time like five days. Many insurance companies won't pay that much for psychiatric care. I think a big reason private programs exist is because there is a demand for something not quite as acute as hospitalization but also more than just local therapy and such.

Ummm. (Many) Programs not as acute as psych? Programs are 24/7 mindfucking machines. The worst part? They pretend to be normal, responsible purveyors of emotional health. A nice little ranch in the woods to send your teens. Hoseback riding! Hiking! Farms!

At least psych hospitals don't pretend to be what they are not. Quality differs, but they don't purvey the illusion of emotional, mental, and physical freedom.  The physical structure and environmental context does not pretend to be what it isn't.

Offline Maximilian

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Well a better word than acute might also be, less expensive. Hospitalization costs a lot of money, I remember them telling me it was well over 1k a day, so most parents can't pay that kind of money out of pocket. So insurance companies become the gatekeeper whether your child can or cannot stay in the hospital a few days longer. I've seen desperate parents pleading with the doctors to keep their child just a few more days, but if insurance won't pay, then the kid goes home. In that situation a parent might want to have their child placed in an environment that is controlled 24/7, but not quite the level of care of a psychiatric hospital, because that way the cost will be less. I think it's a positive thing that programs take place in beautiful rural areas, rather than the locked doors, bars, and thick plexiglass windows you usually find in a hospital.  Hospitalization could be considered an illusion since most of the patients are highly medicated, and kept in controlled environment, things quickly change when the kid leaves.

Offline Bandit73

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »
So-called hospitals commit insurance fraud to keep kids locked up longer. Happened to me, happened to lots of people.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
Yeah, my reply was too simplistic.  I just meant that programs aren't transparent. And psych hospitals make sane people nuts. (there was study on this.)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
From what I have read Psychiatric hospitals don’t really do much good long term unless the person is committed to a state hospital.  They can stabilize a patient and keep them safe.  The hospital provides an excellent arena for performing an evaluation and determining long term treatment and defining medications etc.  They provide short programs designed around what insurance companies pay (not what the patient needs) But they rarely cure anyone.  There is always on going work outside the hospital that the patient needs to do.

Programs provide a unique environment and an opportunity to turn a child around and put them on the right track.  They are long term and out of pocket.  Stays can be extended if needed and the emerging studies are showing that a high percentage of kids are helped by these places.

From the child’s perspective I am sure a psych hospital would be the better choice because they don’t have the ridged structure that many programs have and they get out in 30 to 90 days.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:40 AM »
I've noticed some posters on fornits make the argument that the "professionals" should be left to deal with troubled teens, and suggest parents seek the services of psychiatry, and adolescent psychiatric hospitals to act as a safety net when dealing with a mentally ill or self destructive teenager.

What reasons do people have to assume psychiatry or psychiatric hospitalization is superior to say, a wilderness program?

What reasons would someone suggest that psychiatric medication therapy is better than say, large group awareness training?

As someone who has experienced both version of treatment, I do believe there is some differences between the two. I don't have to get into details at this moment, and I wanted to post this thread before I forgot about it. But I will come back and make detailed posts using my own expereinces as the foundation for my opinions on this subject. But in the mean time, people can think about this and come up with their own arguments and theories.

Are there alternatives to programs like psychiatry that offer solutions to the same problems parents are facing when thinking about sending their teen to a program?

Why do so many parents seek out private programs, when psychiatric services are readily available?

There are no reasons. I spent 4 years in psych programs (inpatient and outpt). There is little difference. I saw hypothermia, overuse of mechanical restraints, and overuse of solitary confinement. Overuse is anything beyond a reassessment at 15 minute intervals, and bugs in my food (industry standard).

LGATs and Psych hospitals are very much alike. Visit one as a patient and you shall see. You are demeaned, locked up "for your own safety" and told when to piss and poop.

Are there other solutions? Pay attention to your kids! Treat them like humans. Don't hit them, yell at them, or abuse them in anyway shape or form. Send them to a relative that cares if you can't handle them. Maybe the relative has an inkling. My grandparents knew from looking at me, that I was miserable and did not belong in a program. They knew I was gay and that was not wrong. I would have been with strict people that understood me.

Parents are fed up with parenting or the problems involved in parenting. Their own parents did not want to bother and they use that as an excuse. I have heard the excuses. There are no excuses!!!.

Get creative. Had my parents let me take the GED and start college it would have solved the "so called" problem. I was bored and a lesbian! Once I was in college and 2000 miles away I was much happier, and stopped doing drugs. I am back home and using drugs (then again, I do have real physical pain) again. Put 2+2 together! Think with as much of a brain as you have.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Which do you prefer soul sucking evil or mindless zombism?
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
It’s not exactly an incisive question, but I’ll put my 2¢ in that treatment abuses are fucked no matter whether the *cottage* you’re in is actually lockdown unit or on an RTC campus or for that matter if the abuses are meted out while being marched into the wilderness with no cottage in sight.
Here’s a thread starter: Which is better in your drinking water hexavalent chromium or Corynebacterium diphtheriae? Or which is worse to have broken... your body and mind or only your spirit?
http://www.propublica.org/article/psych ... utions-inc
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Psychiatric Solutions Inc.
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010, 04:38:59 PM »
Quote from: "Inculcated"
It’s not exactly an incisive question, but I’ll put my 2¢ in that treatment abuses are fucked no matter whether the *cottage* you’re in is actually lockdown unit or on an RTC campus or for that matter if the abuses are meted out while being marched into the wilderness with no cottage in sight.
Here’s a thread starter: Which is better in your drinking water hexavalent chromium or Corynebacterium diphtheriae? Or which is worse to have broken... your body and mind or only your spirit?
http://www.propublica.org/article/psych ... utions-inc
The article found at the above link is the OP of the following thread:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
A great book on the misuse of PSI and psych care in general is as follows: http://http://www.amazon.com/Bedlam-Profiteering-Mental-Health-System/dp/0312104219/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285043836&sr=1-9

The Chambers brothers are mentioned in it, I do believe. The things that took places in the psych facilities is horrific! I spent too long in them to not know that. I do truly wish my mother had kept my letters home. I would have written a book with them. There was one woman, that was in restraints the whole time I was there. She used to throw her feces across the room, since no one came to check on her, and allow her to go to the bathroom.

I almost committed suicide as a way out of there at one point. Later I hoarded little bits of money from our outings and almost ran away. Later I would realize that I had no place to go, and no one that would retrieve me. .The only person who believed me about the abuse was my brother's roommate. Unfortunately, I did not know how to reach him. Timberlawn was not PSI, but it was bad. By the time I got out, I thought it was normal for cereal to have bugs in it. posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=31125#

I was mortified for years to let anyone near my  accounts; additionally, I pretended to like guys (UGH!). It was all crazy. Life settled down for me about 5 years later. Upon getting out my view of the world was very convoluted.