Author Topic: Definition Of A Sockpuppet  (Read 16218 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Definition Of A Sockpuppet
« on: September 11, 2010, 04:44:45 PM »
Quote from: "ajax13"
Psy already said you are a Sockpuppet.
No, I didn't.  I said quite the opposite, that "IslamIsViolent" and "Stonewall" were not the same people.

a New York Times article claims that "sockpuppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one's self, allies or company."[2]

The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
Re: Muslims Burn Bibles and Destroy Crosses...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
No, you said that Islamisviolent uses another name on Fornits.  That, in my mindis a sockpuppet.  If you don't like it, but all means embrace your opinion with all your heart.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

MR. NELSON: Mr. Speaker, AADAC has been involved with
assistance in developing the program of the Alberta Adolescent
Recovery Centre since its inception originally as Kids of the
Canadian West."
Alberta Hansard, March 24, 1992

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:53:22 PM »
No, you said that Islamisviolent uses another name on Fornits.  That, in my mindis a sockpuppet.  If you don't like it, but all means embrace your opinion with all your heart.
I did say that, but he doesn't fit the definition of a sock-puppet.  The account is not used to deceive...  merely to maintain privacy.  See my previous post.
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »
I don't agree with your assessment.  As the posts of Islamisviolent are, in my opinion, bigoted and hate-fuelled, I very firmly belief that the use of another user-name constitutes sock-puppetry.  But I suppose it will have to be left to your Solomon-like judgement, clearly demonstrated in your phony claim that I was accusing posters of being secret agent jews.
"AARC will go on serving youth and families as long as it will be needed, if it keeps open to God for inspiration" Dr. F. Dean Vause Executive Director

Canadian West."

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
I don't agree with your assessment.  As the posts of Islamisviolent are, in my opinion, bigoted and hate-fuelled, I very firmly belief that the use of another user-name constitutes sock-puppetry.

Well. You can take it up on wikipedia's discussions page and with the sources they site.

Offline ajax13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
I don't have to take it up with anybody.  I believe very firmly that the Islamisviolent is using the second identity in a deceptive manner.  So by all means, ban me if you object so strongly to my opinion.

Canadian West."

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Sock-puppet master:

Connie: You are a lying manipulator with an agenda!
Sockpuppet 1(also Connie, but logged in as anon, or Mandy, or Fred. . .) That's right Connie! You tell them!
Sockpuppet 2 (also Connie, but logged in as anon, or Mandy, or Fred. . .) I agree. So-N-so and so-N-so and this-a-one and that-a-one are too! I have seen them in the act of lying and manipulating!
SockPuppet 3  (also Connie, but logged in as anon, or Mandy, or Fred. . .) Wow, Connie - you are so smart to figure that out! I wish I was smart like you -

And so it goes. It is a pitiful tactic.

Offline kamrald

• View Profile
Re: Definition Of A Sockpuppet
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:04 PM »
Sock puppets can make controversial comments or vote for or against a case without revealing their identity. They may react to their Usenet posts or blog extolling the articles they write for themselves or disagree with comments criticizing them on other sites. The sock is stretched completely, so it is long enough to cover the puppeteer's wrist and part of the intestine. Often, but not always, a puppeteer from behind a stand and raise his hand on the foot so that only the puppet is visible.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 12:14:14 AM »
Quote from: "kamrald"
Sock puppets can make controversial comments or vote for or against a case without revealing their identity. They may react to their Usenet posts or blog extolling the articles they write for themselves or disagree with comments criticizing them on other sites. The sock is stretched completely, so it is long enough to cover the puppeteer's wrist and part of the intestine. Often, but not always, a puppeteer from behind a stand and raise his hand on the foot so that only the puppet is visible.
:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 12:59:38 AM »
Quote from: "dennyparker"
A sock puppet is a puppet made from a sock. The account is not used to deceive.

A simple hand puppet made from a sock placed over the hand of the puppeteer.
So... you... say...

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline narung

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »
A sockpuppet is an  identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet. :notworthy:
Life is beautiful & time is valuable.
Wisher @ San Francisco lawyer |San Diego Lawyer

Offline carlgreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 03:09:42 AM »
It should be like this. You said that Islamisviolent uses another name on Fornits. That, in my mindis a sockpuppet. If you don't like it, but all means embrace your opinion with all your heart. It is really amazing.

Offline stephenwaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 02:34:42 AM »
I think it should be like this. The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit.

Offline chrisjochris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
The process of making online fake id for defending is called Sockpuppet. This method is very popular now a days. And it is adopt by many people. People are very anxious to learn about it. It is an illegal process.

Offline ChamsCrkI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:05 AM »
It ought to be like this. You said that Islam Is Violent makes use of another name on Fornits. That, in my mindis a sockpuppet. In case you don't like it, but all means embrace your view with all of your heart. It is incredible.