Author Topic: Advice Thread..  (Read 3828 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Advice Thread..
« on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »
This is a thread for asking for advice on any topic you want.

My problem:

I'm coming towards the end of my management contract here in China. They want me to extend my contract another six months, which is a good thing.

The pros of this situation:

1) I get to stay employed for six more months.
2) I get to build a rather chaotic resume for six more months.
3) I get to see if my super dooper marketing strategies I've pushed them into using work.
4) I wouldn't have to face the American recession just yet.
5) I could easily start taking some classes via distance learning through a community college back in the states. I'm thinking of picking up some psychology courses towards a counseling oriented degree of sorts.
6) I can save up even more filthy lucre for my eventual return to the US.

Cons:

1) I'm not home.
2) I'll be in a city in China where all my coworkers are new to me. Nearly 100 percent turn over in foreign staff next semester.
3) My Gf will be departing as well.
4) I like the job, but it doesn't really ring my bell that much. Just not what I want to do with my life.
5) The work isn't in the field I want it to be in.

It is a bit of a tricky situation. I'm not making that much here in China. This means when I move back I'm going to be moving back on a very tight budget. If I don't find work quickly I could be screwed over pretty badly. Finding work is something I certainly worry about in an economy that is running a near 10 percent unemployment. I don't mind taking crap jobs to re-establish myself either, just not sure how easy it'll be for me to find a crap job at this point in time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Advice Thread..
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:17:04 PM »
At first glance the pros out weigh the cons.  I think the key is to decide where you want to be this time next year.  Write it down on paper (its important to write it down) and then decide which one of the pros and cons will help you reach that point.

You are young enough so I would lean towards staying.  I think it is an advantage being in a field that you don’t want to be in ( for a short term).  You will learn more outside your field than you would inside it as long as you are challenged and learning new stuff.
I knew someone who earned his MBA from Harvard and decided to spend a year working in assembly for entry level (minimum) wages.  He worked for 6 months putting stuff together and another 6 months as a floor supervisor or lead tech.  These were the type of people he would someday be managing and wanted to get to understand their struggles and what motivates them.  Many years later he said it was the best time he ever spent.  He thinks people can learn a ton from doing something outside what they will eventually be doing for a future career.  It doesn’t have to be a step down, just different.

Stay, have fun, your girlfriend is gone, learn new things, expand your resume, learn from the fruits of your marketing strategies, do something drastic, out of the box,  your last 6 months, take some courses, practice dealing with new coworkers  (which can really be tough), save a few more  Renminbi?

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
That's pretty decent insight on the MBA bloke's part. And you are right about learning more outside your field. To implement the marketing strategies I had to put a huge amount of thought into them beforehand, which required some serious critical analysis of our current marketing plan.

meh.. flawed on so many levels.

Product is too expensive..
Semester starts too far away for most parents to want to wait..

All sorts of issues.

I'm pondering long and hard on doing an Addictions Counseling certification. Not so much that I want to get into being a 12 step coordinator, but because the certificate courses delve heavily into one on one counseling and group counseling. Something I've done alot of on both counts and enjoyed immensely. Despite contrary believe, and my gf supports this notion as she's the one who put me onto it, I am.. so she claims.. a very empathetic person.

I feel emotions very deeply at a core level. Though, my experience working with kids has developed a serious poker face. You can't show your anger or you get eaten alive so to speak.

anyway, just rambling. I'll write it all up like you suggested.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
Your girlfriend may be right.  From what I have seen your strongest quality is that you own up to your mistakes and don’t try to blame anyone else or make excuses.  In this age of constant communication and doing conference calls while in the bathroom and getting yelled at on the beach and rewriting presentations  while changing diapers.  No one.. I mean no one wants to hear “I didn’t get it done because”……   your boss doesn’t really care if you were too drunk to get the project done or you were assisting your wife delivering a baby.  If it didn’t get done it didn’t get done, just say it, as long as it doesn’t happen too often.  Good bosses hate excuses.... "Oh my wife was having a baby".  Most bosses would rather hear that you got drunk and woke up in another city at least it shows character.

I learned this when I was very young and it applies even more so today.  People like to hire people who don’t make excuses, although it is near impossible to communicate this trait during an interview, sometimes they may ask what was your biggest challenge or failure and you can weave it in during a prepared answer.

Not sure why I said all that, but its my 2 cents again.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »
I have the getting drunk and waking up in another city part down quite well.

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:02:20 AM »
so, did you make a decision?  I thought it would be cool to witness the fruition of your ideas at work... would she consider renewing her work visa?

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
Darnit, another one of my posts has disappeared.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »
Che,
I think I would sign on for six more months, and then see what the US economy does. That is all I know to say. As you know, I, too, am in a quandary. I have pretty much decided to move due to the antagonist in my life. Also finding "affordable housing" is not easy. It is looking like I have found it. The person that outed me is on a warpath with me and trying to break me down like she did 25 years ago. I am onto her game, and not playing it.

I would not be surprised if she has not already filed to have me committed. I guess you can tell from my writing that I am not "crazy". I am fine, just fine.

I know you don't love China but have found your niche there. I do miss you but also want the best for you. If you are employed then you are way ahead of many of my friends. I know those first few months for you were hard, and winter was VERY hard, but I think the stay is worth it.

As for the GF, if she is serious, she will wait for you to get home. Do you trust her to wait that six months? That is what it boils down to.

What was your advice for me? You know the situation. i was locked away for 9 months due to gender issues. The state I am in is very hard on my health issues. I hate leaving when I have parents that need me, but I also need to take care of myself. It has become necessity. Part of my wants to stay and part of my wants to leave. The sister has been making my life miserable! Everything is a crisis with her. She is an ex-pat, and brought me back here to care for my parents. I have don't it for 15 years. I love them, but they love me enough to see that I need to leave for my health.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 06:07:41 PM »
Quote from: "Samara"
so, did you make a decision?  I thought it would be cool to witness the fruition of your ideas at work... would she consider renewing her work visa?

still pondering.. and no the GF won't be extending her visa and no I have no intention of encouraging her.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 06:14:22 PM »
Quote from: "iamartsy"
Che,
I think I would sign on for six more months, and then see what the US economy does. That is all I know to say. As you know, I, too, am in a quandary. I have pretty much decided to move due to the antagonist in my life. Also finding "affordable housing" is not easy. It is looking like I have found it. The person that outed me is on a warpath with me and trying to break me down like she did 25 years ago. I am onto her game, and not playing it.

I would not be surprised if she has not already filed to have me committed. I guess you can tell from my writing that I am not "crazy". I am fine, just fine.

I know you don't love China but have found your niche there. I do miss you but also want the best for you. If you are employed then you are way ahead of many of my friends. I know those first few months for you were hard, and winter was VERY hard, but I think the stay is worth it.

As for the GF, if she is serious, she will wait for you to get home. Do you trust her to wait that six months? That is what it boils down to.

What was your advice for me? You know the situation. i was locked away for 9 months due to gender issues. The state I am in is very hard on my health issues. I hate leaving when I have parents that need me, but I also need to take care of myself. It has become necessity. Part of my wants to stay and part of my wants to leave. The sister has been making my life miserable! Everything is a crisis with her. She is an ex-pat, and brought me back here to care for my parents. I have don't it for 15 years. I love them, but they love me enough to see that I need to leave for my health.

Well your health issues ought to come first. If a move can help that, do it. Particularly getting away from that other toxic person as well. Dunno about the GF and once she leaves I'm back on the market. It is what it is.

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
Thanks Che! What you said helped. I find out the second approval tomorrow. I remember how much you wanted to go overseas and that first winter. I am sure you are ready to come home by now. I say. "Do what you need to do". You will land with both feet on the ground no matter what! You have potential to do so much. I can see you helping teens, teaching, or doing ESL!

One area where there is never a shortage is in Rochester, NY, doing ASL at NTSD. I think you are very flexible and could do anything you want. Look into the ASL program. It pays well and would put you near the GF.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
Hmm.. I wonder how hard ASL is to learn?

Offline Samara

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 01:23:06 AM »
Like a language. It takes a while to gain fluency in ASL. I know the words to the song "You Light Up My Life" but you probably won't use that too often. I should teach you the signs for "bullshit." You'll use that a lot.  

Don't ask me how I learned the former.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:27:08 AM »

Already know this one, my chinese coteachers love it.