Author Topic: Interesting Cafety Article  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Cafety Article
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 08:18:03 AM »
And which programs are successfully making these changes? I see no mention of them in the article. Lots of sweeping generalizations though, plenty of them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 09:20:48 AM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
And which programs are successfully making these changes? I see no mention of them in the article. Lots of sweeping generalizations though, plenty of them.

I read through it also and they didnt mention any specific programs by name good or bad.  They are referring to the industry as a whole.  Some programs are improving and some are not.. others are getting worse.  But if you read the article it is talking about empowering the children to effect changes within the industry and some programs are responding to this and allowing the kids to have a say in their own treatment.

I think it is a positive step and the article points out that the industry is responding to feedback from kids who attended programs and making changes based on that feedback.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
The wording is more what I object to, because not all programs are changing. They really do need to consider touching up the report some. Other than that, I do find the ideas being kicked around merit worthy so long as this treatment is consensual. Trying to apply this model to a place like Three Springs just doesn't computer for me. The gulf of separation between staff and kids was to vast for it to be bridged.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »
Quote from: "Che Gookin"
The wording is more what I object to, because not all programs are changing. They really do need to consider touching up the report some. Other than that, I do find the ideas being kicked around merit worthy so long as this treatment is consensual. Trying to apply this model to a place like Three Springs just doesn't computer for me. The gulf of separation between staff and kids was to vast for it to be bridged.

I see what you mean.  I dont read it as all programs are improving.  I think the industry as a whole is improving.  But I would bet very few programs are heavily vested in letting the kids have any control.  What they are talking about seems more like a beta test on a few programs.  Programs like Aspen respond to feedback from parents and kids and have made changes in freedoms like phone privileges better food and working on transition back home etc,  but i doubt they have given up much control to the kids as the article is indicating some programs are doing.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 03:32:17 AM »
Too bad really, in the artificial world of a program, giving the kids control, or some control, over themselves is about the only way to make it a worthwhile experience.