Author Topic: Academy at Swift River - Academic "Credits" Don't Transfer  (Read 8529 times)

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Academy at Swift River - Academic "Credits" Don't Transfer
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:54:20 AM »
I've been saying this for many years.  The vast majority of these programs have "self-study" academics, no accreditation, no licensed teachers, etc.

We had a long discussion several years ago about the Academy at Swift River, an Aspen Education Program, and the unaccredited academics there.  It was insisted by one poster here that all credits transfer, the school was accredited, etc., although he did admit that his own child had to repeat a year of highschool after leaving ASR.  He continued to claim "improvements have been made and all credits transfer and 100% of this kids get into the college of their choice."  This is false.

After operating this "school" for over a decade, Aspen Education still does not provide transferable credits through its education program.  Here is a recent statement from just last year from a parent whose child was forced to repeat a year of high school after finishing the ASR program:

Quote from: "ASR Parent"
This school is not structured. The credits do not transfer to any school other than as those such as a gym class or band credits. My son, upon returning to regular highschool, had to repeat junior year while taking senior year. I do not recommend this school to anyone.
Posted by a parent on 07/28/09

Link

Parents should beware Aspen Education's aggressive and false marketing of its "schools" which cannot issue diplomas nor transerable academic credits.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Re: Academy at Swift River - Academic "Credits" Don't Transf
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
Quote from: "Another ASR Parent"
I lost most of my respect for this school when one of the therapists laughed at my child during a session. The schoolwork is below par in my standards, and I am inclined to pull my child out of this so called school.
Posted by a parent on 01/12/09

I suspect this was during a group session where confrontational "therapy" is performed by unlicensed line staff called "peer group counselors" who may or may not even have formal education beyond high school, but are not licensed to perform therapy of any kind.

More on the group sessions used at ASR here:
Quote from: "Yet Another ASR Parent"
This is a therapeutic boarding school that is supposed to focus on personal growth. It is a very clinical environment and they have tremendous turnover in students. It is more like an RTC. The group therapy is done in groups of up to 26 kids at one time. I do not recommend this school.
Posted by a parent on 04/06/06

Link

Are parents told that the "group therapy" used at ASR has up to TWENTY-SIX KIDS in group?  How on earth can this be properly facilitated?  The "peer group counselors" who run these so-called therapy sessions aren't even educated or licensed to do this job and obviously don't have the ability to handle 26 patients at a time - nobody does.

Parents should beware of Aspen Education's unlicensed, uneducated "therapists" and unaccredited academics.  Children cannot earn a diploma from ASR, nor do their credits transfer to properly accredited local highschools.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:09:06 AM by Troll Control »
The Linchpin Link

**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
Our son left wilderness needing a structured program. In the three months he has been at ASR, he has made quick and consistent progress. Communication with his therapist is great and she shows a total concern for his well being. The structure he gets is also in his academics. He is also thriving ...  Read more   in school and will graduate high school on time. ASR is not for everychild and many do not thrive at ASR because of individual situations. The professional staff at ASR are best to evaluate a child and determine whether or not ASR is a good fit. The strive to make sure all students belong at their school and do not accept a child they feel they can't help. I am glad that ASR was there for my son

Link

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:44:08 AM by Whooter »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:09:14 AM »
Cannot say enough good things about Academy at Swift River. Brilliant!

Link
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:24:48 AM by Whooter »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:09:50 AM »
I know it's hard to choose a school or program when your kid is in a crisis and you don't see any other alternative. You kind of have to go on your gut feeling, after doing all the checking and questioning possible. ASR wasn't perfect, but I believe they save our son's life. Overall we were pleased, ...  Read more but there were some things we wish had gone smoother. He got his education, lots of therapy, both private and group, learned how to get along with others and had many experiences unique to ASR. Plus there were many recreational and other non-curricular activities. He clearly needed to be there for at least 14 months. The staff was terrific and communication mostly good. We were very involved in the therapuetic process

Link

Edited to add link
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:45:20 AM by Whooter »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »
The staff in the school really focus on help the children. It s avery therapeutical framework with good results

Link

Edited to add link
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:26:01 AM by Whooter »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »
These parents found that their kids had to repeat a grade because the credits didn't transfer to their local high schools.

You have said before that it took your daughter five years to graduate high school.  She obviously had to repeat a grade after the program as well.  

ASR doesn't tell parents that their kids will have to repeat grades after leaving the program.  That's dishonest to say the least.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:41 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
The staff in the school really focus on help the children. It s avery therapeutical framework with good results

"A very therapeutical framework"?

This thread is about ASR's unaccredited academics.  

Readers should be aware that the poster "Whooter" has admitted to being a fiduciary of Aspen Education Group and is part of their dishonest marketing program.  Please click on the link in my signature to be directed to his statement that he has a financial stake in Aspen Education Group in order to view his statements in proper context.  He has also admitted the academics are unaccredited and his daughter had to repeat a year of high school.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
I know it's hard to choose a school or program when your kid is in a crisis and you don't see any other alternative. You kind of have to go on your gut feeling, after doing all the checking and questioning possible. ASR wasn't perfect, but I believe they save our son's life. Overall we were pleased, ...  Read more but there were some things we wish had gone smoother. He got his education, lots of therapy, both private and group, learned how to get along with others and had many experiences unique to ASR. Plus there were many recreational and other non-curricular activities. He clearly needed to be there for at least 14 months. The staff was terrific and communication mostly good. We were very involved in the therapuetic process

This poster has maintained for over five years on this board that he had a daughter that attended ASR.  He now claims to have had a son there.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"

This poster has maintained for over five years on this board that he had a daughter that attended ASR.  He now claims to have had a son there.

:roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:  :roflmao:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:11 AM »
It was insisted by one poster here that all credits transfer, the school was accredited, etc.
Maybe he was referring to "gym class."  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »

Link

Edited to add link

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
We could use a moderator to remove the repetitive spam posts.  I see no sense in letting Whooter derail yet another thread about ASR.  He's going to troll this into the ground.

The topic of this thread is "Academic Credits Don't Transfer" and I'd like to hear more about that.  Whooter's kid (which appears now to be a son and not a daughter, as he had claimed before) had to repeat a grade after leaving ASR.  this seems to be the case with many kids.  I'd like to hear more about that.
The Linchpin Link

- Troll Control

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 11:30:50 AM »
We could use a moderator to remove the repetitive spam posts.

Look, lighten up DJ,  Ursus and Anne Bonney were just poking a little fun at some of the feed back that was presented.  You have posted in threads off topic before which resulted in it being derailed.  You do it much more than they do in fact from those I have followed.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »

Link

This was a good find, DJ,I think this validates that ASR also provides private therapy from an outside source.