Author Topic: What Type of Kids "Succeeded" in Behrens Study?  (Read 18639 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: What Type of Kids "Succeeded" in Behrens Study?
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2011, 11:13:15 AM »
I agree, if they can do a better jog screening these kids during acceptance they can raise the success rate from about 86% (presently) to well into the 90% range.

The next decade should be exciting.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Dysfunction Junction

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
Anyway, it's interesting to see if you Google "Behrens study" the number one return is "Programs In Behrens Study Charged with Abuse".

It's important to search the topic and see for yourself parents.  Whatever the results of this work are spun to be, some of the programs that were studied were charged with abuse or even shut down for child deaths at the facility.  The program "family" that was studied, Aspen Education Group, admitted openly in court that they do not provide therapy of any kind as a defense to HIPAA violations.

Check it out for yourself.  Google it.
"Compassion is the basis of morality."

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:45 PM »
Quote from: "Dysfunction Junction"
It's important to search the topic and see for yourself parents.

I think we agree here, DJ.  Here is a link for the parents to take a look at:

Residential Treatment Outcome-Study

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
I noticed that study is posted only on Aspen Ed marketing sites.  It doesn't appear in any reputable publications anywhere on the 'net.  It was never peer reviewed or published either.  It's a marketing tool.  And some of the programs in it were charged with abuse and shut down.

See the truth for yourself.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
The links I provided go directly to an independent site.  There is no marketing involved.  The study was presented to the APA.

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:46 PM »
I noticed that study is posted only on Aspen Ed marketing sites.  It doesn't appear in any reputable publications anywhere on the 'net.  It was never peer reviewed or published either.  It's a marketing tool.  And some of the programs in it were charged with abuse and shut down.

Just Google it for the truth is all I'm saying.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2011, 07:05:20 AM »

I think we agree here.  The readers should look at all the information the can get and view both sides of the issue.  Here is the original study as presented to the APA:

Offline Shadyacres

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2011, 09:05:04 AM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

I think we agree here.  The readers should look at all the information the can get and view both sides of the issue.  Here is the original study as presented to the APA:

I had to force quit my browser just to get off of the site that Whooter's link takes you to.  After several minutes it had loaded one paragraph, so I gave up.  I don't know why I bother, I keep thinking that he might finally come up with a valid point one day.

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
He keeps linking to SCRIBD.  The actual original is posted on an Aspen Ed website.  It was never published or peer reviewed so reputable outlets won't host it, thus it lives on Aspen's marketing site and SCRIBD which is just a doc host.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2011, 09:55:36 AM »
Quote from: "Shadyacres"
Quote from: "Whooter"

I had to force quit my browser just to get off of the site that Whooter's link takes you to.  After several minutes it had loaded one paragraph, so I gave up.  I don't know why I bother, I keep thinking that he might finally come up with a valid point one day.

The site is scibd.com which is a well known publishing site, recognized by Time Magazine, economists  etc.  If you are having trouble loading the document then the problem is on your end, Shadyacres.  You can also take DJs' suggestion and look at the overview on various Aspen sites, but most readers like to view the original study in it entirety so that they can see the results for themselves.

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
Whooter is misleading here, Shady.  What is hosted on SCRIBD (a doc host where anybody can upload any document, not a publisher) is not the actual study.  That data has never been made public, which says a lot about its veracity, BTW.  What is posted is the summary report of the findings of the work.  Just want to be clear on that point.  This study has never been released to the public nor to subjected to peer reviewers.  That's a critical point.  The only place it exists is on Aspen marketing sites.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2011, 10:21:10 AM »

Notable users of Scribd include Virginia senator Mark Warner.[35] Former California gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman, New York Times, DealBook, reporter Andrew Ross Sorkin, All Things D Reporter Kara Swisher, the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Red Cross, UNICEF, World Economic Forum, The World Bank, Ford Motor Company, HewlettPackard, and Samsung.

So we can see it is a notable site and a great place to host an independent study.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:09:10 AM by Whooter »

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »
Any user can upload to SCRIBD.  The "upload now" button is right on the page you linked to, lols.  That's like saying "Facebook is a reputable site because Sarah Palin posts there."  Epic fail.

Not to mention, again, that the study is not published.  A summary of it is hosted on a doc site.  Big Difference.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »
I think it is interesting that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) uses this site to host their documents.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:07:29 AM by Whooter »

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
If I had an independent study that I wished to host for people to read I would choose SCRIBD also.  It just makes sense.  It allows many people to access it and it is easy to link to.  I think this may be an area where many of us can agree.