Author Topic: Group Therapy increasing Drug Risk?????/  (Read 10152 times)

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
Re: Group Therapy increasing Drug Risk?????/
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2010, 08:52:03 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"
Quote from: "Paul St. John"
Whooter, I don't think that anyone who reads the article would miss your point, but to illustrate it more clearly, the article states that those with worse problems- drug addiction, etc. often do benefit from the group therapy, but it is done at the expense of those with lesser problems.

The people with not as bad problems, rub off on those with the larger issues, and the people with the larger issues, rub off on those who don't have that large of issues to begin with...

The picture I get in my head here, is that there is no net loss of bad stuff, but rather it is just redistributed.

In the facility that I went to, there was one heroine addict, one crackhead, about half a dozen coke users, one guy who only smoked pot once, but failed the drug test, his dad had been giving him since he enterred high school, and then there was the majority, pot smokers, who drank on weekends, and had experimented with psychedelics here and there, and then there were also, really young people who I never thought belonged there at all.  These were just people who smoked pot occasionally.

They always said in Daytop, that you don t start your real drug career, until after you leave Daytop, the first time.

I am embarressed to admit this, but in my last week at Daytop, I cut myself.  I had listened to people talking about cutting themselves in group for so long.  They romanticized the shit out of it.  I though that it was stupid as hell.  I remember thinking that they only did it for attention at first.  The more I listenned, it was clearly an addiction.  It was something vey personal that they had for themselves, that Daytop could not take from them.  Hell, Daytop expected that type of shit.

I just remembered this last night.  I tried it.  I cut myself.  This one girl made it sound so fucking seductive, and I did it one day, without knowing what was motivating me to do it.  I know that I was feeling terrible at the time, but I don t think that it is anything that I would have ever done in my life, if I had not been going to these stupid groups.

Paul St. John

PS It is also noteoworthy, that I heard time and time again, that people had come in with very minor drug problems, then developed very strong ones when they left, and came back "ready for treatment"

That is actually a good point.  I could see myself wanting to try something new (when I was younger) if someone described it the way you stated.  I was always up for experimenting at that age (at least to see what it was like).  I think many do and that poses a real risk of making kids worse off than they are.

interesting.

Thanks Whooter, your a fine gentlemen.
Sorry I was so harsh but I was trying to follow up with more of Miai S. articles, to sew them together.
I had lost the opportunity and got frustrated.
I'll say it, I have been a hypocrite. I am and have been trying to stop it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2010, 10:01:54 PM »
That is actually a good point. I could see myself wanting to try something new (when I was younger) if someone described it the way you stated. I was always up for experimenting at that age (at least to see what it was like). I think many do and that poses a real risk of making kids worse off than they are.

interesting.

Now just picture that you are immersed in it, all day, every day, and there isn t much else.

Paul

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Whooter, I don't think that anyone who reads the article would miss your point, but to illustrate it more clearly, the article states that those with worse problems- drug addiction, etc. often do benefit from the group therapy, but it is done at the expense of those with lesser problems.

The people with not as bad problems, rub off on those with the larger issues, and the people with the larger issues, rub off on those who don't have that large of issues to begin with...

The picture I get in my head here, is that there is no net loss of bad stuff, but rather it is just redistributed.

In the facility that I went to, there was one heroine addict, one crackhead, about half a dozen coke users, one guy who only smoked pot once, but failed the drug test, his dad had been giving him since he enterred high school, and then there was the majority, pot smokers, who drank on weekends, and had experimented with psychedelics here and there, and then there were also, really young people who I never thought belonged there at all.  These were just people who smoked pot occasionally.

They always said in Daytop, that you don t start your real drug career, until after you leave Daytop, the first time.

I am embarressed to admit this, but in my last week at Daytop, I cut myself.  I had listened to people talking about cutting themselves in group for so long.  They romanticized the shit out of it.  I though that it was stupid as hell.  I remember thinking that they only did it for attention at first.  The more I listenned, it was clearly an addiction.  It was something vey personal that they had for themselves, that Daytop could not take from them.  Hell, Daytop expected that type of shit.

I just remembered this last night.  I tried it.  I cut myself.  This one girl made it sound so fucking seductive, and I did it one day, without knowing what was motivating me to do it.  I know that I was feeling terrible at the time, but I don t think that it is anything that I would have ever done in my life, if I had not been going to these stupid groups.

Paul St. John

PS It is also noteoworthy, that I heard time and time again, that people had come in with very minor drug problems, then developed very strong ones when they left, and came back "ready for treatment"

[/i][/b]

Ya know Paul. it seems at times you like to minimize just how bad most of those kids were.

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2010, 10:19:21 PM »
Danny, I was there.  I don't know what to tell you.  It is what it is.

Paul

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:35 PM »
There were arsonists, rapists, self-proclaimed murderers, and quite a few thieves.

But this wasn t the majority.  This was the minority.

Paul

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
That's the problem.. they took anybody.  They had people who were going there as an alternative to doing time for genuine crimes, and then they had 13 yr old pot heads, whose cheeks you wanted to pinch because they were so cute.... And these young ones that I refer to didn t smoke any more pot or have anymore bad habits then their peers, they just had overeacting parents.

In regards to the guy who smoked once and failed his test.  He was older.  He was 17 the first time that he smoked. He was very intelligent too.  He was an academic sort of guy, but not a pussy or anything.

I remember the counselor saying to him once, when he was in front of the family, that even though he didnt do drugs, he still belonged there.  He then went on to say that EVERYBODY belonged there.

All I remember thinking was "CULT!"

I am sure he wanted everyone in there, because that would put everyone at his level.

Paul St. John

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »
Danny, I was there.  I don't know what to tell you.  It is what it is.

Paul

OK....