Author Topic: Four Winds Hospital in Katonah NY  (Read 21568 times)

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Re: Four Winds Hospital in Katonah NY
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
http://http://www.ec-online.net/knowledge/articles/control.html

Dealing With Control Freaks

by Thomas J. Schumacher, Psy.D., R-CSW

Most all of you have had to contend with control freaks. These are those people who insist on having their way in all interactions with you. They wish to set the agenda and decide what it is you will do and when you will do it. You know who they are – they have a driving need to run the show and call the shots. Lurking within the fabric of the conversation is the clear threat that if you do not accede to their needs and demands, they will be unhappy.
Certainly, it’s natural to want to be in control of your life. But when you have to be in control of the people around you as well, when you literally can’t rest until you get your way … you have a personality disorder. While it’s not a diagnostic category found in the DSM IV (the therapist’s bible for diagnostic purposes) an exaggerated emphasis on control is part of a cluster of behaviors that can be labeled as compulsive generally characterized by perfectionism, orderliness, workaholic tendencies, an inability to make commitments or to trust others and a fear of having their flaws exposed. Deep down, these people are terrified of being vulnerable. They believe they can protect themselves by staying in control of every aspect of their lives, including their relationships. Control freaks take the need and urge to control to new heights, causing others stress so they can maintain a sense of order. These people are riddled with anxiety, fear, insecurity, and anger. They’re very critical of themselves their lover and their friends, but underneath that perfect outfit and great body is a mountain of unhappiness. Let’s look at what makes control freaks tick, what makes you want to explode, and some ways to deal with them.

The Psychological Dynamics That Fuel a Control Freak

The need to control is almost always fueled by anxiety – though control freaks seldom recognize their fears. At work, they may worry about failure. In relationships, they may worry about not having their needs met. To keep this anxiety from overwhelming them, they try to control the people or things around them. They have a hard time with negotiation and compromise and they can’t stand imperfection. Needless to say, they are difficult to live with, work with and/or socialize with.

Bottom Line:  In the process of being controlling, their actions say, “You’re incompetent” and “I can’t trust you.” (this is why you hate them). Remember, the essential need of a control freak is to defend against anxiety. Although it may not be apparent to you when they are making their demands, these individuals are attempting to cope with fairly substantial levels of their own anxiety. The control freak is usually fighting off a deep-seated sense of their own helplessness and impotence. By becoming proficient at trying to control other people, they are warding off their own fear of being out of control and helpless. Controlling is an anxiety management tool.

Unfortunately for you, the control freak has a lot at stake in prevailing. While trying to hold a conversation and engage them in some way, their emotional stakes involve their own identity and sense of well-being. Being in control gives them the temporary illusion and sense of calmness. When they feel they are prevailing, you can just about sense the tension oozing out of them. The control freak is very frightened. Part of their strategy is to induce that fear in you with the subtle or not so subtle threat of loss. Since the emotional stakes are so high for them, they need to assert themselves with you to not feel so helpless. To relinquish control is tantamount to being victimized and overwhelmed. When a control freak cannot control, they go through a series of rapid phases. First they become angry and agitated, then they become panicky and apprehensive, then they become agitated and threatening, and then they lapse into depression and despair.

Repetition Compulsion

Control freaks are also caught in the grip of a repetition compulsion. They repeat the same pattern again and again in their attempt to master their anxiety and cope with the trauma they feel. Characteristically, the repetition compulsion takes on a life of its own. Rather than feel calmer and therefore have a diminished need to be controlling, their behavior locks them into the same pattern in an insatiable way. Successes at controlling do not register on their internal scoreboard. They have to fight off the same threat again and again with increasing rigidity and intransigence.

Two Types of Control Freaks

Type 1 Control Freaks:  The Type 1 control freak is strictly attempting to cope with their anxiety in a self absorbed way. They just want to feel better and are not even very aware of you. You will notice and hear their agitation and tentativeness. They usually do not make much eye contact when they are talking to you.

Type 2 Control Freaks:  The Type 2 control freak is also trying to manage their anxiety but they are very aware of you as opposed to the Type 1 control freak. The Type 2 needs to diminish you to feel better. Their mood rises as they push you down. They do not just want to prevail; they also need to believe that they have defeated you. They need you to feel helpless so they will not feel helpless. Their belief is that someone must feel helpless in any interchange and they desperately do not want it to be them. The Type 1 needs control. The Type 2 needs to control you.

Some Coping Strategies

1)     Stay as calm as you can. Control freaks tend to generate a lot of tension in those around them. Try to maintain a comfortable distance so that you can remain centered while you speak with them. Try to focus on your breathing. As they get more agitated and demanding, just breath slowly and deeply. If you stay calm and focused, this often has the effect of relaxing them as well. If you get agitated you have joined the battle on their terms.

2)     Speak very slowly. Again the normal tendency is to gear up and speak rapidly when dealing with a control freak. This will only draw you into the emotional turmoil and you will quickly be personalizing what is occurring.

3)      Be very patient. Control freaks need to feel heard. In fact, they do not have that much to say. They have a lot to say if you engage them in a power struggle. If you just listen carefully and ask good questions that indicate that you have heard them, then they will quickly resolve whatever the issue is and calmly move on.

4)     Pay attention to your induced reactions. What is this person trying to emotionally induce in you? Notice how you feel when speaking with them. It will give you important clues as to how to deal with them more effectively and appropriately.

5)     Initially, let them control the agenda. But you control the pacing. If you stay calm and speak slowly, you will be in command of the pacing of the conversation.

6)     Treat them with kindness. Within most control freaks is a good measure of paranoia. They are ready to get angry and defend against what they perceive is a controlling hostile world. If you treat them with respect and kindness, their paranoia cannot take root. You will jam them up.

7)     Make demands on them-- especially when dealing with the type 2 control freak. Ask them to send you something or do something for you. By asking something of them, you will be indicating that you are not intimidated or diminished by their behavior patterns.

8)     Remember an old but poignant Maxim: “Those who demand the most often give the least.”

Keep in mind that control freaks are not trying to hurt you – they’re trying to protect themselves. Remind yourself that their behavior toward you isn’t personal; the compulsion was there before they met you, and it will be their forever unless they get help. Understand that they are skilled manipulators, artful and intimidating, rehearsed debaters and excellent at distorting reality.

In order to not feel degraded, humiliated and have your sense of self and self worth assaulted, you need to avoid being bulldozed by a controlling lover, boss or friend. When you are caught up in a truly destructive/controlling attachment, the best response may be to walk out. You have to understand that whatever you do will have a limited effect. These people are angry and afraid to let go of you. Hence, it is your job to let go of them, protect yourself in the process… and grow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
WELCOME TO HELL!

Offline maruska

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 02:59:43 PM »
Quote from: "sad"
Just heard from a patient that there's abusive treatment there. Anyone here been there and has seen it too?
I'd like to get myself admitted with some kind of device that can tape and record what goes on there and then proceed to file a lawsuit.

you mean, while your daughter is in the wilderness program?...I just imagine how your ex husband is going to use it at the custody battle: telling the judge you are not stable, you have problems on your own, because you were admitted...

By the way: who has custody of your daughter, and what kind (joint or sole legal?) That is very important in determining your next step...  

Is there any relative (grandparents, uncles etc) willing to help you in this situation?

Be careful with PAS allegations...some courts see it as a red flag...

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:27 PM »
Ya know what Danny.. I think that we should put this thread back on target.

You say that you are right.  You even say that Ursus knows it.

Let's give this thread purpose, and see if we can resolve this issue.

Would you be willing to make your argument as to why the best course of action is for posters to help Sad infiltrate a psych ward.

More importantly.. can you please make your argument as to why the masses are wrong.

Here is mine:

1.  The masses believe that Sad should practice prudence in sending her child to a treatment center. Why is this sound?

Because, in addition to being able to find info on how abusive these centers can sometimes be is all over the internet, in books, and on TV. ( as first hand accounts)

Even more importantly, and this alone can stand independent of the supporting statement that I gave above.  Most of the people here, have themselves, experienced abuse at the hands of treatment centers, and also know many others who did.

The model, on which many of these programs are based is flawed beyond compare.

2. Is Pile being a court jester?

No Pile is being reasonable... which leads us to 3.

3. Is the best course of action for SAD to infiltrate a psych center, or should she be worried about her child?

If she values her responsibilty as a parent, then it is only logical, that she would tend to her daughter now, over a stranger, who was also a patient in a psych ward,  WITNESSED abuse... I guess once.

Now, I remind you. Noone is shoving their ideas down SAD's throat.  She came here looking for advice.

Also, there are things to be taken into account. For example, SAD, sems to be having a decent amount of trouble in her own life right now.  Why add this crazy mission to it all.  First take care of your kid.. then go save the world.. That is valid advice.

Paul

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »

Would you be willing to make your argument as to why the best course of action is for posters to help Sad infiltrate a psych ward.

More importantly.. can you please make your argument as to why the masses are wrong.

Here is mine:

1.  The masses believe that Sad should practice prudence in sending her child to a treatment center. Why is this sound?

Because, in addition to being able to find info on how abusive these centers can sometimes be is all over the internet, in books, and on TV. ( as first hand accounts)

Even more importantly, and this alone can stand independent of the supporting statement that I gave above.  Most of the people here, have themselves, experienced abuse at the hands of treatment centers, and also know many others who did.

3. Is the best course of action for SAD to infiltrate a psych center, or should she be worried about her child?

If she values her responsibilty as a parent, then it is only logical, that she would tend to her daughter now, over a stranger, who was also a patient in a psych ward,  WITNESSED abuse... I guess once.

Now, I remind you. Noone is shoving their ideas down SAD's throat.  She came here looking for advice.

Also, there are things to be taken into account. For example, SAD, sems to be having a decent amount of trouble in her own life right now.  Why add this crazy mission to it all.  First take care of your kid.. then go save the world.. That is valid advice.

Paul

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:17 PM »
Quote from: "maruska"
Quote from: "sad"
Just heard from a patient that there's abusive treatment there. Anyone here been there and has seen it too?
I'd like to get myself admitted with some kind of device that can tape and record what goes on there and then proceed to file a lawsuit.

you mean, while your daughter is in the wilderness program?...I just imagine how your ex husband is going to use it at the custody battle: telling the judge you are not stable, you have problems on your own, because you were admitted...

By the way: who has custody of your daughter, and what kind (joint or sole legal?) That is very important in determining your next step...  

Is there any relative (grandparents, uncles etc) willing to help you in this situation?

Be careful with PAS allegations...some courts see it as a red flag...

Maruska thanks for your paranoid take on things, is that what happened in your divorce while your daughter was in treatment. Man, must have been a bummer to have so much going on in your life.
Now lets be concerned about sads life and put your projections on hold OK. I mean be concerned about real things not your imaginary scenarios. Is this what you do to all folks you want to help, flood them with your baggage.

Danny
Stand and fight, till there is no more.

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 03:22:07 PM »
Quote from: "Paul St. John"

Here is mine:

Paul

Paul you keep confirming to me precisely why I think you are not qualified to be in any of these discussions with me. You can not read and comprehend my posts and your judgments of me just overtake your sense of thought.
I will say this one more time for you lill`idiot. Leave "sad" alone she does not need anymore advice. She will ask again at the appropriate time I'm sure.
My advice to you is the same, caring for someone is one thing, taking care of someone is a whole other thing.
Stop talking about her like she is not in the room.

Danny

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »
Yeah.. Come On, Maruska!  Danny is right.. Enough with trying to be helpful and give valid advice already.

The idea that Sad's husband might use her being admitted into a psych ward against her, is nothing but an imaginary scenario..

Like Danny says..... This is about Sad!  We have to care for her!

I ll get the camera.  You get the tape.

Paul

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
I'll get the Liveleak and the 4chan; that's about where we are.

Oh, and Danny? Just an FYI? Your posts are seriously a waste of time. You say absolutely nothing worth anything to anyone. Nobody respects you, and no one is going to agree with a word of it (not even Whooter, unless it serves his purposes of the day). Stop posting.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:26 PM »
Quote from: "DannyB II"

Here is mine:

Paul

Paul you keep confirming to me precisely why I think you are not qualified to be in any of these discussions with me. You can not read and comprehend my posts and your judgments of me just overtake your sense of thought.

No... You just can't respond to anything reasonable.. Anything that requires you to actually come out and say what you are saying. You prefer to argue. You have no foundation, though, so you cannot defend anything you say, once it is put to even the least amount of scrutiny.  I am wrong sometimes, Danny.. but I ll admit it if shown.. and I ll live with it too.. because people make mistakes... they even fuck up words like ,"wane".

Not Qualified?  Who the fuck do you think you're fooling dumbass.?

I will say this one more time for you lill`idiot.

Watch what you call me Danny.. I warned you before.. I will bust you up right on these fucking boards.

Leave "sad" alone she does not need anymore advice.

Okay, Hero.

She will ask again at the appropriate time I'm sure.
My advice to you is the same, caring for someone is one thing, taking care of someone is a whole other thing.

Well dude, I never tried to care for her, or take care of her.  the fact of the matter is that to some extent, I do care a bit.  I honestly do.  You are just using this thread as an opportunity to play Devil's Advocate.

She is not in the room, Danny.. She is not an Avatar!

Paul

Danny

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 03:32:06 PM »
Yeah.. Come On, Maruska!  Danny is right.. Enough with trying to be helpful and give valid advice already.

The idea that Sad's husband might use her being admitted into a psych ward against her, is nothing but an imaginary scenario..

Like Danny says..... This is about Sad!  We have to care for her!

I ll get the camera.  You get the tape.

Paul

You really are a self absorbed, that is only interested in your conclusions. Really Paul this is not about you and your show now. Read what I am saying not just the rebuttals to Pile and Maruska but what I am saying. It is the crux's to my whole argument. Sad gets to choose her own path. It may be the right one.

Danny

Offline Paul St. John

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 03:44:17 PM »
You really are a self absorbed, that is only interested in your conclusions. Really Paul this is not about you and your show now. Read what I am saying not just the rebuttals to Pile and Maruska but what I am saying. It is the crux's to my whole argument. Sad gets to choose her own path. It may be the right one.

Danny

.  If you wanna tell SAD to follow her own path, that is fine with me.

What bothers me, is that you first, discredited the person who was actually giving, in my opinion and in most rational people's opinion, sane advice.

Paul

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »

No... You just can't respond to anything reasonable.. Anything that requires you to actually come out and say what you are saying. You prefer to argue. You have no foundation, though, so you cannot defend anything you say, once it is put to even the least amount of scrutiny.  I am wrong sometimes, Danny.. but I ll admit it if shown.. and I ll live with it too.. because people make mistakes... they even fuck up words like ,"wane".
Not Qualified?  Who the fuck do you think you're fooling dumbass.?

No your not Lill` idiot qualified to say anything because you have nothing. You say I argue, hmmm.....I put out on this thread my reasons for backing off Sad. Read my posts.....dumbfuck.

I will say this one more time for you lill`idiot.

Watch what you call me Danny.. I warned you before.. I will bust you up right on these fucking boards.

Listen you little twat you will not do a damn thing so STFU,  Lill`idiot.

Leave "sad" alone she does not need anymore advice.
Okay, Hero.

She will ask again at the appropriate time I'm sure.
Well dude, I never tried to care for her, or take care of her.  the fact of the matter is that to some extent, I do care a bit.  I honestly do.  You are just using this thread as an opportunity to play Devil's Advocate.
No I am not, my simple minded instigator. I listen and comment as most do here, your mission is to try and get a date with me you hang on my ass so much. NO dude likey women.

She is not in the room, Danny.. She is not an Avatar!

Paul[/b]

Danny[/quote][/quote]

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:17 PM »

Maruska thanks for your paranoid take on things, is that what happened in your divorce while your daughter was in treatment. Man, must have been a bummer to have so much going on in your life.
Now lets be concerned about sads life and put your projections on hold OK. I mean be concerned about real things not your imaginary scenarios. Is this what you do to all folks you want to help, flood them with your baggage.

Danny

Seems Ursus is correct.  Dude.....you are seriously fucked up.  Get some help.  Soon!

Quote from: "Ursus"
And, maybe I'm off-base for saying this, but it doesn't sound like your problem is with Anne per se. I think you might have a problem with women who think for themselves. Perhaps you feel threatened by that? Come to think of it, your tangles with that "pit-bull" Inculcated also come to mind...

Do ya think he even gets how disjointed and absolutely insane he comes across?  He and AA Art appear to be living in some strange, alternate, bizarro universe.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline DannyB II

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

Danny

Seems Ursus is correct.  Dude.....you are seriously fucked up.  Get some help.  Soon!
You know what is fucked up Anne, is you really think your comment above carries any weight in the grand scheme of things.... :roflmao: :roflmao:  :roflmao:  
Do you really think that anybody other then about 5 or 6 people here really gives a shit what Ursus says. Stop being a self centered twat.
Quote from: "Ursus"
And, maybe I'm off-base for saying this, but it doesn't sound like your problem is with Anne per se. I think you might have a problem with women who think for themselves. Perhaps you feel threatened by that? Come to think of it, your tangles with that "pit-bull" Inculcated also come to mind...

Do ya think he even gets how disjointed and absolutely insane he comes across?  He and AA Art appear to be living in some strange, alternate, bizarro universe.

Hell no how could I, I'm disjointed and absolutely insane and fucking loving it. Thanks for the comparison, Arty Farty is a good dude when his mouth is closed. That bizarro universe I get normally you on the other hand have to drink booze, smoke weed and snort cocaine to get there. Enjoy your weekend please keep your legs closed. Come back with a knew Avatar please.

Danny

Offline Eliscu2

• New World Order
    • View Profile
Dannys Cartoon Croch Fettish
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 09:09:03 AM »
Hell no how could I, I'm disjointed and absolutely insane and fucking loving it. Thanks for the comparison, Arty Farty is a good dude when his mouth is closed. That bizarro universe I get normally you on the other hand have to drink booze, smoke weed and snort cocaine to get there. Enjoy your weekend please keep your legs closed. Come back with a knew Avatar please.

Danny

I found one for her.......
[attachment=0:2tlnpici]DannysMom.jpg[/attachment:2tlnpici]
WELCOME TO HELL!