Author Topic: Teen Challenge - Indianapolis  (Read 6488 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Teen Challenge - Indianapolis
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:21:27 AM »
I've come across some material which needs to be filed somewhere, lest it be forgotten in the hue and cry of more pressing and well-publicized program abuses...

First, here's a Topix thread I came across, which mentions Teen Challenge - Indianapolis more than a few times:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Teen Challenge Exposed!
Posted in the Decatur Forum (Illinois)

#1 Teen Challenge Exposed Clovis, CA · Jul 24, 2007
    A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian  alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.

http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com

"Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds"[/list]
#2 Myname Decatur, IL · Aug 9, 2007
    That is the biggest pile of garbage I've seen in quite some time. Teen Challenge is an amazing program.
#3 Ricky Charlotte, NC · Jan 7, 2008
    Teen Challenge is a place of refuge and renewal for hundreds of grateful residents and families. I'm sure you only speak on behalf of yourself and we will continue to pray that you recieve the blessing available from and on behalf of those you critize. God Bless You !
#4 Deidre Anchorage, AK · Jan 17, 2008
    Well, I'm with the author. I am 41. I was in the Indianapolis Tenn Challenge from the age of 14 to 16.5. Before I went in, I was a Christian, that had never done drugs, or been on a date
    . I didn't smoke ect. My mother who had paid someone to take care of me for years didn't want me back, when the lady was no longer able to take care of me. I was suppose to graduate the program after the first year, but a week before graduation they pulled me into the office, and demoted me saying I didn't raise my hands in church, and they felt I had lust in my heart. I was made to go to churches almost every weekend to "give my testimony" where I was the one behind the pulpit. to raise funds. They even sent my picture out in flyers and such. I was definately exploited, for their financial gains. I also remember scubing the mess hall floor with my tooth brush all night when I first arrived. Or the time I was beaten with a board for telling one of the counselors that I was afraid of one of the girls that was making advances on me. I was told I should be ashamed of myself for thinking someone was gay that just wanted my love. That is until the night they caught her trying to rape me with a knife, and kicked her out. Did they apologise for beating me for trying to come to them for help? No!
    After Leaving I never set foot in a church again.
    I had gone 3 times a week before going to that place. I choose to have my own relationship with god, and not be told I need to raise my hands, speak in tougnes or be slai in the spirit! So you can knock the author all you want but I was there for two years and I know what I'm talking about! I am 41 and still remember how I suffered in their hands. I would never send a child there. I have two adult daughters and two small step children.
#5 AMNBNJ Kenilworth, NJ · Jun 30, 2008
    Diedre, you may have been right on some issues but I think Teen Challenge is being blamed for the backgage you were placed or received by your mother. It is clear through out your whole message that you are bitter. Bitterness will kill your relationship  with God and it seems that is being done done. Let God deal with you and the deeper issues such as a mother who didnt want her daughter. God Bless!
Quote from: "Deidre"
Well, I'm with the author. I am 41. I was in the Indianapolis Tenn Challenge from the age of 14 to 16.5. Before I went in, I was a Christian, that had never done drugs, or been on a date. I didn't smoke ect. My mother who had paid someone to take care of me for years didn't want me back, when the lady was no longer able to take care of me. I was suppose to graduate the program after the first year, but a week before graduation they pulled me into the office, and demoted me saying I didn't raise my hands in church, and they felt I had lust in my heart. I was made to go to churches almost every weekend to "give my testimony" where I was the one behind the pulpit. to raise funds. They even sent my picture out in flyers and such. I was definately exploited, for their financial gains. I also remember scubing the mess hall floor with my tooth brush all night when I first arrived. Or the time I was beaten with a board for telling one of the counselors that I was afraid of one of the girls that was making advances on me. I was told I should be ashamed of myself for thinking someone was gay that just wanted my love. That is until the night they caught her trying to rape me with a knife, and kicked her out. Did they apologise for beating me for trying to come to them for help? No!
I had gone 3 times a week before going to that place. I choose to have my own relationship with god, and not be told I need to raise my hands, speak in tougnes or be slai in the spirit! So you can knock the author all you want but I was there for two years and I know what I'm talking about! I am 41 and still remember how I suffered in their hands. I would never send a child there. I have two adult daughters and two small step children.
[/list]
#6 Christie United States · Dec 13, 2008
    Hi Deidre I to was in that Teen Challenge in Indianpolis Indiana from 1974 to 1980 with Ruth Thalmon and Betty Violette I to remember the abuse I suffered there and would love for you to contact me by email at
[email protected] for a chat.am also looking for pics from that era of people I knew, like-Bobbie Ballard, Toni Ballard(sisters)-Loni Mae and her sister,Cindy Holcom,Karen Winifred,Dana Fowler,Becky&Robert Garcia,Karen Hubble,Donna Miller,Carla&Lisa(sisters) ,Tina, Carlos,Birdie(Alberta),Sacora, Audrey,Gina,Erin,Darci,Neily St John,Deb&carl(marrried), Donna moodyham.
Does anyone remember The Stienways summer lake vacations, or Apple Picking?[/list]
#8 sue Tuckerton, NJ · Jan 2, 2009
    Quote from: "AMNBNJ"
    Diedre, you may have been right on some issues but I think Teen Challenge is being blamed for the backgage you were placed or received by your mother. It is clear through out your whole message that you are bitter. Bitterness will kill your relationship with God and it seems that is being done done. Let God deal with you and the deeper issues such as a mother who didnt want her daughter. God Bless!
    hi have you ever been in a tc that is what they do there[/list]
    #9 Bonnie Oklahoma City, OK · Jan 31, 2009
      Hi. I to was serving time in Indianapolis during 1973 and 1974. I remember that they would take me to the basement for their so-called correction of my attitude. This consisted of me being beated with their wooden paddle to the point I could hardly sit. This went on every week for the first two months I was there. Then one night, they took me out of my bed at midnight, to go downstairs and re-wash all the dishes from supper that night. The water was so hot it turned my hands beat red. I told them that it was to hot so they made me bend over the table and gave me 50 swats for my complaining. The abuse was not necessary. I also remenber I had severe pain from my stomach and they would not give me anything for it. It was terrible. I can still remenber the spankings, the beatings and the pain of being there. Thank God my parents finally came and picked me up.
    #10 Kathy McIntire Columbus, OH · Feb 15, 2009
      Well, I'm with the author. I am 41. I was in the Indianapolis Tenn Challenge from the age of 14 to 16.5. Before I went in, I was a Christian, that had never done drugs, or been on a date. I didn't smoke ect. My mother who had paid someone to take care of me for years didn't want me back, when the lady was no longer able to take care of me. I was suppose to graduate the program after the first year, but a week before graduation they pulled me into the office, and demoted me saying I didn't raise my hands in church, and they felt I had lust in my heart. I was made to go to churches almost every weekend to "give my testimony" where I was the one behind the pulpit. to raise funds. They even sent my picture out in flyers and such. I was definately exploited, for their financial gains. I also remember scubing the mess hall floor with my tooth brush all night when I first arrived. Or the time I was beaten with a board for telling one of the counselors that I was afraid of one of the girls that was making advances on me. I was told I should be ashamed of myself for thinking someone was gay that just wanted my love. That is until the night they caught her trying to rape me with a knife, and kicked her out. Did they apologise for beating me for trying to come to them for help? No!
      I think I know you! It's Kathy McIntire, I also have pics from back then. Would love to know! My e-mail is [email protected] I was there in 2006[/list]
      #14 Great place Paragould, AR · May 11, 2009
        This is a wonderful place.
      #15 Rachel Indianapolis, IN · Aug 7, 2009
        Central Indiana TC worked for me. Sorry :/ lol
        I know that all the statistics they put out probably aren't 100% accurate but I got a lot of benefit out of TC. And I had to scrub stairs and toilets with a toothbrush too so you're not the only one. I think the students provide most of the "abuse" it isn't the counselors or directors. I had a friend there that was rooming with 2 homosexual girls who participated in "razor blade sex"
      [whatever that is] and needless to say she felt extremely uncomfortable. Not once did any counselor or director touch me or say something inappropriate to me and not once did they say I had to do something mundane in order to get to heaven.[/list]
      #16 Rachel Indianapolis, IN · Aug 7, 2009
        The locks are there for a reason. Lebanon wasnt a prison and I was there around the same time you were...? I don't remember a Rebecca being there though. I graduated in 2007 I believe if I remember correctly. I went there in the beginning of my sophomore year and got back in the last few months of my junior year. I am 18 now and graduated from high school. Also I fail to understand how you are so sure that a staff member hated you unless they told you or did something inappropriate to you. Also we didn't have any junior staff members. 0.e
        lol
      Quote from: "Rebecca"
      I agree with the author. I was sent to Teen Challenge by my parents when I was two months shy of 17. I was first given to the Lebenon TCIN for Girls. After being there for 9 months, they pulled me into the office and told me that they were transferring me to a different Teen Challenge, they moved me because my year was almost up and I was still on level one. While I was there I saw few graduations and out of almost everyone who graduated, News always came back bad. Someone had fallen back to their old ways... and there was one Staff member there who was truly sidistic. She Hated me from the moment I stepped through the door, and a Jr. staff member loved to boss us around just because she could. And we did have ""locks" on our doors, we had alarms. And they would take us to churchs to give our testamonies, and get their money through the offerings or banquets we would host. When I went to the Decatur TC in IL, It was different but only b/c they were new. Your first month you had to wear prison jumpsuits and handcuffs on your feet so you couldn't run away. Tell me how that is Legal. And of course you could never tell your parents what was going on because you would get in trouble. I turned 18, finished my Jr. year and checked out. Out of all the people I know that Graduated all but 1 fell back on their ass's. And when ever I hear from any of them it's more of the same. TC is a joke, and our parents had to pay through the nose for us to be there. This writer should also investigate New Creations in Indiana. I would say it's like a TC, on lock down and worse. They make the students mow for hours on end with push mowers and they don't get paid. I will never forget the horror of those 16 months. EVER
      [/list]
      #17 Kathleen Mabrey Saint Louis, MO · Oct 24, 2009
        Just becuase you werent abused dont knock those of us that were. That just shows how narrow minded you are.
      Quote from: "Myname"
      That is the biggest pile of garbage I've seen in quite some time. Teen Challenge is an amazing program.
      [/list]
      #18 Kathleen Mabrey Saint Louis, MO · Oct 24, 2009
        You were not the only one. TC had a girl die in Indy before I got there. The director and one of the counselors were charged with abuse when I was there. I lived it and saw it happen to others. If someone was fortunate enough to have a good experience great but I have suffered from the trauma for the past 30 years from what happened to me.
      Quote from: "Rebecca"
      Oh yeah and Myname, I don't know if I was there with you or not, but you have got to be kidding me. [email protected] I was there in 2006
      [/list]
      #19 Kathleen Mabrey Saint Louis, MO · Oct 24, 2009
        I was in Indianpolis in 79/80 and had the same horrible experiences there. I was also drug free. But my mother thought I was being controlled by Satan and this would fix me. The director there was charged with abuse along with a counselor there. I abuse I witnessed was horrendous. We were imprisoned there and not allowed to leave unless our parents wanted to take us out. The facility was barracked with fence and barbed wire. How people can claim it was not imprisonment beats me.
      [/list]
      #20 Kathleen Mabrey Saint Louis, MO · Oct 24, 2009
        You obviously have never suffered abuse like that. I was at the same facility and saw it and experienced it. I never recovered from it either. Stop being so narrow minded about someone elses suffering. I know of dozens of others still suffering today.
      Quote from: "sue"
      hi have you ever been in a tc that is what they do there
      [/list]
      « Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
      -------------- • -------------- • --------------

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
      « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:48:08 AM »
      Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
      « Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:34:34 AM by Joel »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
      Re: Teen Challenge - Indianapolis
      « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
      The Topix thread, Teen Challenge Exposed!, continued...

#21 Kathleen Mabrey Saint Louis, MO · Oct 24, 2009
        How dare you down play someone's pain and suffering. There are numerous victims out there that suffered. But zealots refuse to acknowledge it and want to keep it a secret.
      Quote from: "Ricky"
      Teen Challenge is a place of refuge and renewal for hundreds of grateful residents and families
      . I'm sure you only speak on behalf of yourself and we will continue to pray that you recieve the blessing available from and on behalf of those you critize. God Bless You !
      [/list]
      #22 hurtn Waterloo, IL · Oct 27, 2009
        ouch
      #23 kay alvis United States · Nov 13, 2009
        i remember amy and most others she mentioned i know i was shocked to find out neely was really a 40 something jewish woman who was acollege proffesor and spoke yiddish fluently and was not what she claimed 812 677 2146call me
      #24 kay alvis United States · Nov 13, 2009
        Amy and Christy Musso have sites you have to pay to get on, to find out more horrors of tc what is this all about? Is this true, and why.I was there between 75 and 79. Indianapolis TC.
      #25 cloudkicker Long Beach, CA · Jan 8, 2010
        now why cant i get in to review the post
      #26 Conservative Conviction Minneapolis, MN · Jan 16, 2010
        Quote from: "Myname"
        As a former employee of Minnesota Teen Challenge, I beg to differ. What goes on their is not only exploitative, but shocking. They are psychologically abusive, and in reality there is NO focus on drug addiction or recovery.[/list]
        #27 Conservative Conviction Minneapolis, MN · Jan 16, 2010
          Quote from: "Kathleen Mabrey"
          How dare you down play someone's pain and suffering. There are numerous victims out there that suffered. But zealots refuse to acknowledge it and want to keep it a secret.
          Teen Challenge interferes with families, keeping people apart, much like a cult.[/list]
          #28 sherry dehart clark Salisbury, NC · Jan 17, 2010
            yes i know about the abuse i was avictim also and still am i was held against my will i wasthreatened,slave,abused i also spoke with someone to someone who was there to inspect an investigation then stated i have a lot more to say.
          Quote from: "Teen Challenge Exposed"
          A former Teen Challenge student exposes this abusive Christian  alcohol and drug program. Although seen by many as a worthwhile organization, Teen Challenge has a dark side, one of pathological abuse and an obsession with the almighty dollar.
          http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com
          "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds"
          [/list]
          #29 kay alvis United States · Feb 12, 2010
            Quote from: "cloudkicker"
            now why cant i get in to review the post
            because, i found that i was wrong, i should not of wrote that, my apology.[/list]
            #30 terrie Orlando, FL · Feb 13, 2010
              Quote from: "Christie"
              Hi Deidre I to was in that Teen Challenge in Indianpolis Indiana from 1974 to 1980 with Ruth Thalmon and Betty Violette I to remember the abuse I suffered there and would love
              for you to contact me by email at [email protected]!
              This program was a horrid way to hurt and exploit children. If God Knew what happened to us Betty Valett would have surely been sent to hell...Maybe with any luck...the bitch is there![/list]
              #31 terrie Orlando, FL · Feb 13, 2010
                Quote from: "Ricky"
                Teen Challenge is a place of refuge and renewal for hundreds of grateful residents and families. I'm sure you only speak on behalf of yourself and we will continue to pray that you recieve the blessing available from and on behalf of those you critize. God Bless You !
                Hey Ricky.....were you locked in a utility closet for 7 days with 7 other girls...until you walk in the shoes of us that did...
                pray for this to NEVER happen to anyone again..It's Hell continues to live on! Do not critizie what you do not no! This place was a horrible place for some of us...and how dare you take that
                from us!
                Terrie[/list]
                #32 terrie Orlando, FL · Feb 13, 2010
                  Quote from: "AMNBNJ"
                  Diedre, you may have been right on some issues but I think Teen Challenge is being blamed for the backgage you were placed or received by your mother. It is clear through out your whole message that you are bitter. Bitterness will kill your relationship with God and it seems that is being done done. Let God deal with you and the deeper issues such as a mother who didnt want her daughter
                  . God Bless!
                  To you I say crap pie idiot...why would you take a victim and blame things on her mom....you continue to exploit her and that which was beyound her control...Teen challange was a horrible thing to alot of KIDS...and the sad thing is you will never no how many because this program delt with kids with problems who would never no this was abuse coming from the abusive homes they came from. They used Private pay and state paid problem kids and used them. Shame on you for not feeling for this person. you must work for the Teen challange program! Ahhhh ha that would explain it..[/list]
                  #33 Deidre Indiana TC Anchorage, AK · Feb 22, 2010
                    Quote from: "terrie"
                    o you I say crap pie idiot...why would you take a victim and blame things on her mom....you continue to exploit her and that which was beyound her control...Teen challange was a horrible thing to alot of KIDS...and the sad thing is you will never no how many because this program delt with kids with problems who would never no this was abuse coming from the abusive homes they came from. They used Private pay and state paid problem kids and used them. Shame on you for not feeling for this person. you must work for the Teen challange program! Ahhhh ha that would explain it..
                    Thank you! As you can see, I said my peace, and only just yesterday came back to look. I apologise to all the girls that have looked for me, without me knowing. [email protected]. It's been two years or so since I posted my story, and my story has not changed. I stand 100% what I wrote. I am sorry to see all the others also hurt, but I guess that was to be expected. I certainly wasn't there alone! I also in re-reading what I wrote see there is a bit missing. I have no doubt in my mind that the people standing up for the place, either weren't there, or work for teen Challenge. Any body remember the bus fliiping in PA, after seeing the men's program there? My best friend there died right after getting out. We were still in touch, she was still crying from that place, when she died in her sleep at 17 from a brain tumor nobody knew she had. So Valerie, I love you
                    , Jenny Hendricks (dead at 17, I love you too. I have not forgotten you, nor will I not tell our story!
                    i came back to t.c. for a stop over, on my way home, the new building, was facing delaware street, so i went upstairs, using the far left stairway, to my left was a utility closet, i heard voices, i said who is in there, several voices answerd, they asked to me let them out, i was still in t.c., brainwashed mode, so i did not let them out, i was up ther later when a staff opened the door, the girls were all sweaty, and in nightgowns, they actually showed me how they figured out how to all fit in there. all these years later, after having 2 kids,(i never mistreated my children,) its haunting, to beleive i could see this, and do nothing[/list]
                    #35 Donna 1978 United States · Apr 5, 2010
                      Dear Diedre,
                      I was around back then. Not a resident, although I did visit the facility at Penn & Fall Creek. I can confirm that the director did indeed use the kids for her own financial gain. It made the newspapers at the time. If you check the Indianapolis Star newspaper of the period you will find several articles about it there. How do I remember so well? You kids used to come down and clean up the beauty shop where I worked. Betty, the director had purchased it and you kids cleaned it. I won't go into any more details, but your report is entirely consistent with what I observed back then.
                    Quote from: "Diedre"
                    Well, I'm with the author. I am 41. I was in the Indianapolis Tenn Challenge from the age of 14 to 16.5. Before I went in, I was a Christian, that had never done drugs, or been on a date. I didn't smoke ect. My mother who had paid someone to take care of me for years didn't want me back, when the lady was no longer able to take care of me. I was suppose to graduate the program after the first year, but a week before graduation they pulled me into the office, and demoted me saying I didn't raise my hands in church, and they felt I had lust in my heart. I was made to go to churches almost every weekend to "give my testimony" where I was the one behind the pulpit. to raise funds. They even sent my picture out in flyers and such. I was definately exploited, for their financial gains. I also remember scubing the mess hall floor with my tooth brush all night when I first arrived. Or the time I was beaten with a board for telling one of the counselors that I was afraid of one of the girls that was making advances on me. I was told I should be ashamed of myself for thinking someone was gay  that just wanted my love. That is until the night they caught her trying to rape me with a knife, and kicked her out. Did they apologise for beating me for trying to come to them for help? No!
                    [/list]

# #

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
                    A memory aid
                    « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »
                    This article is about someone who attended the Indianapolis Teen Challenge and who died shortly thereafter. I post this in case anyone is looking for her or for info on her:

The Herald & Review (Decatur, IL)

A memory aid
                    After teen's death, mother develops a memorial product to help fund Erin's Place

By HUEY FREEMAN, H&R Staff Writer
                    May 7, 2006

DECATUR - When Holly Mowry was grieving the loss of her 17-year-old daughter, Erin, she noticed her other children were comforted by bringing photographs and notes to the grave. Erin, who was killed in an auto accident Dec. 30, 2002, left a deep impression on those who knew her.

Like many teenagers, Erin went through a period of drug abuse and failing grades, which landed her in a Teen Challenge home for girls in Indianapolis.

Teen Challenge helped straighten Erin out, so much so that she earned straight A's in her last semester in high school, was a leader in her church and signed up to enter the Marine Corps.

Tim and Bea Walsh, an Indianapolis couple who took Erin into their home after she left Teen Challenge, were so moved by her life and death that they started a ministry to help other young women. It is called Erin's Place Ministries.

The idea is to establish a Christian home for young women, 16 years old and older, where they can learn to live successfully on their own.

However, the Walshes, who founded the ministry two months after Erin's death, have not been able to raise sufficient money to purchase a building.

Holly Mowry, a close friend of the Walshes, was troubled by the inability to get the funding for Erin's Place.

During one of her daily prayerful walks, Mowry had the idea of producing a weatherproof picture frame, in order to leave photos at grave sites that will not be ruined or blown away. In this way, she could help finance the ministry.

"This is a grieving tool," Mowry said. "A portion of the proceeds will go to the ministry."

A former nurse who works with her husband in their rental property business, Mowry began investigating whether there was a product like it on the market. All she could find was a small, flimsy plastic frame on a short spike that would not last more than a few days in this climate.

She went to a nearby factory to ask for advice.

"You have to start somewhere," Mowry said.

A man at the factory recommended that she call an engineer, Don Morr. You might say she found the right guy.

Mowry worked with Morr, creating the drawings for polycarbonate plastic frames on sturdy, foot-long spikes, with rubber seals around the frames that are easily removed.

"Don made the blueprints," Mowry said. "He did all the drawings to do the tooling. His brother, Dave, set up my Web site. They donated all their time."

They contacted a factory in Ogden, from which they learned about a factory in Florida that performed the kind of work they desired.

She had to spend more than $50,000 altogether, including manufacturing expenses and patent attorney fees. Every time they needed the money, somehow it was there.

At a time when one bill was due, they were bidding against several other prospective buyers on a house they hoped to rehab and resell. The Mowrys had the winning bid.

The frames are being sold in groups of three, with each package containing one frame for a 31/2-by-5-inch photo and two that hold wallet-sized pictures. Each package contains a card with messages from Erin's family to her, a photo of Erin's grave - with the picture frames and family photos in flower vases and a poem written by a friend.

Warning: the card is extremely moving.

The card also contains suggestions for uses for the frames.

"You can put pictures on either side, or put a picture with a note on the back," Mowry said, "which is what we did at Erin's grave."

Mowry has been distributing the frames, which she calls Erin's Bouquets, for retail sale at local funeral homes and florists.

She hopes an ad in a funeral industry magazine will spur nationwide sales.

Mowry, who relishes her new role as an inventor, said she never wanted to become a saleswoman. "Guess what?" she said. "I'm beating the streets, selling them."

While the original idea was to open a home in Indiana, now the Mowrys and Walshes say they would like to have the first home in Decatur with another in Indiana later.

Bea Walsh said it makes sense to have the first home in Decatur, especially because Teen Challenge, a faith-based program with an excellent record of helping young people, has recently opened a home for girls here.

Walsh, who was program director of the Teen Challenge home in Indianapolis when Erin lived there, said it is sometimes tough for girls to make it on their own after they leave the sheltered environment.

The Walshes invited Erin to live with them in their home for several months, after she left the Teen Challenge center, 10 months before she died.

Bea Walsh said Erin did not want to return to Decatur at that time, partly because she wanted to stay away from her peers who used drugs.

"She wanted to start over," Walsh said.

Erin came back to Decatur in June 2002. She worked at a building supply store and planned to go to college. To finance her education, she joined the Marine Corps. As she prepared for basic training, scheduled to begin two months after her accident, she worked out with the Marines. The Marine emblem is etched on her tombstone.

Mowry said the whole idea of selling the frames is to fund a ministry that will help girls like Erin succeed.

"I want to see these kids with their heads screwed on straight, productive, using the gifts God has given them," she said. "I just need to sell thousands of these."

Huey Freeman can be reached at http://www.erinsbouquet.com[/li]
                    [li]Send $49.95 for three frames to Erin's Bouquet, Box 77, Elwin IL 62532.[/li][/list]

Herald & Review photos/ Lisa Morrison

Holly Mowry straightens the family photos surrounding her daughter's grave. She hopes that others will also receive comfort in the ability to safely leave notes and photos at the graves of their loved ones.

The grave of Erin Mowry, who died in an automobile accident, is still visited often by friends and family members.

Copyright, 2006, Herald & Review, Decatur, IL