Author Topic: Started Over Again at age 44  (Read 8730 times)

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
Started Over Again at age 44
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
Hey guys..... Does anyone remember being started over???? Life has recently threw me a lead weight as I'm sinking fast.

This sucks ass in the biggest way!!!! Here recently I was arrested for a DUI.... The company I worked for was so helpful that they decided to let me go. I have been attempting to file for unemployment and gotten denied, CORPORATE USA MUST have taken lessons from STRAIGHT as they are trying to say I voluntarily resigned from my position since I did not report in for 3 days as I was in jail. I did advise them by email the day before I had to go to court letting them know the truth. I did not get the DUI on company time and was only in jail a few days.  :suicide:

It's stupid how the state of Florida is on their laws as they make it seem that the crime is worse than any capital offense. Now it makes it damn near impossible to get a job. And in these times that we are living in are lean.  :bs:

I now am having to resort to applying at jobs that are almost minimum wage and am getting no bites due to the fact I made soooo much more an hour. Don't get me wrong, I do know how to be humble, and this is not due to being in Straight but just dealing with life itself.  :ftard:

To be honest I am almost broken at this point. Almost ready to pack my shit, move back to the desolate place I moved from 13 years ago, and prove Straight right that I am going to be in JAIL, INSTITUTIONS, OR DEAD.

Don't get me wrong, not thinking of killing myself or any stupid shit like that, but am unsure what to do!!!! I am engaged to a beautiful woman who loves me. But the thing is me being out of work is KILLING our relationship.

I appologize to you guys for rambling.... LOL but I had to share my FEELINGS...  :eek:

Botched
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Started Over Again at age 44
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
Well.  Your life isn't over.  You'll find a lower paying job, and after you show you can retain that for a reasonable amount of time, I'm sure you'll be able to get something similar to what you had before.  Don't lose hope.  Next time just don't drink and drive.  Risking your own health I'm all in full support of but when you drive under the influence you put others at risk which is wrong.

Maybe, you could use the "voluntary resignation" thing.  If that is officially what happened, then you might be able to cite that as your method of leaving.  As a reason you could cite personal/philosophical differences, which is enough of the truth... no need to go all program confessional if it's not required.  If the company says you resigned, you resigned.  As for reasons they'll give to others, they're probably too scared of getting sued to say it was because you got a DUI.  Just some ideas there.  You might want to consult some job placement/advice professional or read a book on the topic.

The end is not nigh and Straight was not right.  I know how those fears can crop up from time to time, instilled phobias that they are.  You made a mistake, and one that will cost you, but it will not end you, and in time, you'll be better off as you'll learn from the experience and in all likelyhood won't make the same mistake.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »
Quote from: "Botched Programming"
This sucks ass in the biggest way!!!! Here recently I was arrested for a DUI.... The company I worked for was so helpful that they decided to let me go. I have been attempting to file for unemployment and gotten denied, CORPORATE USA MUST have taken lessons from STRAIGHT as they are trying to say I voluntarily resigned from my position since I did not report in for 3 days as I was in jail. I did advise them by email the day before I had to go to court letting them know the truth. I did not get the DUI on company time and was only in jail a few days.
What ROT! Corporations pull this shit all the time!  :flame:

I'm not sure at what stage you are at as to fighting the bogus "voluntary resignation," but you might want to consult with an attorney ASAP as to where you stand (over the phone should suffice). You want to ask about the pros and cons of contesting the forced resignation (meaning you want to file for unemployment) vs. not contesting it (and being able to cite philosophical differences as to why you left that job).

Also, it can't hurt to "ask a legal question," or to "search past answers": http://www.lawguru.com/
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
Thanks Psy....

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
Best of luck to you, Botched. You & I are in kind of the same boat right now. I barely earn enough for child support every month.

::unhappy::  ::deadhorse::

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 06:37:18 PM »
Hey Botched, been there, done that, time is the only real way to resolve the bulk of consequences stemming from a DUI. Good luck with that... but whatever you do, I implore you to NOT do like this lady did...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2009/122009/1229spot
 :beat:  :beat:  :beat:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 11:25:51 AM »
Hey I understand - my DUI came at 45. Been almost 3 years now from my arrest.  It sucks tho as all job apps I must admit that I've been arrested for DUI.   It seems that most corporations only care about the DUI during the first 3 years or so.   Got offered a engineering job paying around 100k, but after the back ground check was completed, the job offer was reniged.   Was told after 3 years to reapply.  

Local gov jobs seem to hold a DUI against a person for around 5  years or so.   I will tell you that gettng arrested for DUI certainly changed my drinking habits.    Don't drink and drive anymore, so I think I've learned my lesson.    Recently took a job that pays a lot less than I'm used to, but it is because of the economy not my DUI record.  Good luck; hang in there, things will get better.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
Thanks guys for positive word of encouragement .... LOL.... Did not mean that to sound "Programish" just "Botched Programming" hence the name...  Things really a mess.... no money in 3 months... fighting for unemployment... on probation... fiance cant handle the financial ordeal...

Nothing else to do.... going to ask probation officer to let me do my time, tuck my tail between my legs and cower home to N.C.....

As fucked as this may seem .... seems like the only course of action I have at this point.

Love the woman with all my heart... can't even fathom being without her... as I said before... Better now than after marriage vows... " For better or Worse"... Strong words for feeble people to live by....

If things changed in my situation I would still be for better or worse... and at this point there will be no one to replace her....

I wish her a happy life that gives her everything she wants and deserves...

Thanks for allowing me to ramble...

Botched

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »
Botched you hang in there and remember life can and will change. This I do know. Also I have found that there is little if anything we control, except for one thing my attitude. Yes what I do with my thoughts. My thoughts control much in my life,
 so why not get in front of them.
My empathy is with you. Stay close to the ground, my friend.......Thanks
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:48:59 PM by Anonymous »

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
Very sad to hear all of that, but if you stay strong, things will be fine.  Everybody has down-time in their lives.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »
Good luck botched, sad to see you have to do time over something like an Economic Depression. Hope you do easy time and get things sorted out afterwards.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
Gotta bump this post back to the top, When I originally wrote the post last year my ex-fiance and myself were splitting up...
How Ironic is is that almost a year later we start talking again and she wants me to come back home, I am sort of hesitant at this point, but it is really where I want to be. She is wanting me to come back at the first of the year as it is too late now for me to come home for Christmas. She claims that she did not realize what she had till it was gone. I am already submitting resumes and half way made my decision to go...

Out of curiosity do you guys think I am crazy ?? ??

Offline shaggys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
Gotta bump this post back to the top, When I originally wrote the post last year my ex-fiance and myself were splitting up...
How Ironic is is that almost a year later we start talking again and she wants me to come back home, I am sort of hesitant at this point, but it is really where I want to be. She is wanting me to come back at the first of the year as it is too late now for me to come home for Christmas. She claims that she did not realize what she had till it was gone. I am already submitting resumes and half way made my decision to go...

I wish you the best either way, Botched. Merry Xmas.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

Things are looking up,  follow your heart.  Moving always forces one to clean out their cobwebs and you also get the unique chance to take what you like with you and leave the rest behind.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, Botched.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
Merry Christmas Shaggys