Author Topic: Second Nature Wilderness Program  (Read 31349 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Second Nature Wilderness Program
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 07:02:09 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Speaking of wilderness programs and sex, it happens all the time... at least when I was there it did. Its not like they handed out condoms so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls go home from wilderness with a whole new set of issues brewing inside them. I never saw a wild tribe like orgy until I was in wilderness, and don't think the staff don't join in. Parents have no idea what happens out there, it was insane.

Thanks guest,I knew it wasnt as bad as people were saying here.  The kids do have fun on these trips, I kind of thought that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Second Nature Wilderness Program lobotimizes
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
Quote from: "John Reuben killed Michael by torture at Academy Swift River and SUWS wilderness programs"
Speaking of wilderness programs and sex, it happens all the time... at least when I was there it did. Its not like they handed out condoms so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the girls go home from wilderness with a whole new set of issues brewing inside them. I never saw a wild tribe like orgy until I was in wilderness, and don't think the staff don't join in. Parents have no idea what happens out there, it was insane.

Thanks guest,I knew it wasnt as bad as people were saying here.  The kids do have fun on these trips, I kind of thought that.
http://www.nospank.net/teenjail.htm
TEENAGE LOBOTOMY
A Zine about the Institutionalization of Youth
By Nick and Sarah
February 2005

This reader is being compiled by two teenage artists/writers -- Nick, who was locked up in the Family Foundation School in New York, Second Nature Wilderness Program in Utah, and his close friend Sarah.

What would you do if two large men, handcuffed you, dragged you out of your home, and threw you in the back of a van, tomorrow at the crack of dawn? How would you respond to the people in this institution when they force you to stand in a corner for weeks on end, to lift your knees to your waistline when you walk, to be silent when you want to be loud, to be loud when you want to be silent, and to carry buckets of rocks back and forth for twelve hours each day? Would you resist, rebel, run away, kill yourself? What if they took your food away? Had someone follow you around all the time, even watching you shit?

what if you were completely stuck in a behavior modification program like this for two years without seeing your friends, your home, or anything that might remind you of the real world?
Youth hold all the creativity, curiosity, and vitality of human nature in a concentrated form. But from a very early age, we are forced into narrow, limiting ways of thinking and being. We sit in rows and later we march in rows, so that we can battle those whose way of life is out of line with ours. If kids attempt to step out of these formations, they are considered crazy or criminal and are dealt with using methods that are even more coercive and confining.

These institutions reflect our society's attitude towards youth, treating us as less than full human beings. Kids are treated with mistrust and thus don't learn to take responsibility for their actions, in a vicious cycle that is only perpetrated by this mentality of cages. Regardless of whether an institution is private or state funded, meant to reform a rebellious teenage, "cure" a mental disorder, or to remove a criminal from society, the mindset is the same: youth are not to be trusted, and that coercion and punishment are acceptable means of solving problems.

Why do adults feel the need to exert such rigid control over us? Perhaps it's because youth tend to be more idealistic and less willing to accept the world as it is. It takes years to teach someone to endure the monotony and superficiality that is so many peoples' lives. Behavior modification programs are part of this cycle of stagnation, so this reader was created to educate people about this little-known atrocity occurring in our own country, and to offer constructive ways to help youth without denying their freedom and individuality. It's a first step in the long struggle to shut these types of places down, and to encourage kids everywhere to take control over their own lives.

Teenage Lobotomy expands from the inside outwards, from presenting the rigid mentality of cages to opening up into some of the countless possibilities that are our future. It starts by using personal stories and news articles to portray how youth are institutionalized in many ways, from many points of view. It then provides some basic information on mental health and the mental health system including advice on taking care of ourselves and each other, and getting the right kind of help. There's a thick section on using various forms of creative expression as a way for kids to balance out their lives and figure out who they are. This transitions into a section about self-education as a means to explore the world and empower yourself. The reader ends with an in-depth discussion of youth organizing and activism, a way for us to use our experiences of injustice to make change outside of ourselves.

We're hoping that by juxtaposing stories of horror and degradation with methods of self-expression and discovery, the contents of this reader will squirm around and interact with each other in an alchemical process that will draw new connections.  

SUBMISSIONS INVITED     Submit to a new reader about abusive institutions for youth entitled Teenage Lobotomy: A Zine about the Institutionalization of Youth. The reader will consist of:

An introduction to the abuses that take place at therapeutic boarding schools, residential treatment facilities, and wilderness programs
Personal stories and interviews from students, parents, and ex-teachers
News articles about behavior modification programs Information about mental health and the mental health system
Discussion of alternative ways to help "troubled" teens (and ways for teens to help themselves), including art therapy and other forms of creative expression , various forms of counseling (such as utilizing AA outpatient programs or talking to mentors for help), and other programs that encourage healing in positive ways.
Discussion of youth activism and organizing
Discussion of youth taking control of their own education
Tons of really good art (and a couple of poems) by young people
Information about laws relating to youth
A massive list of resources including books, organizations, and websites We need your stories! They may include:
Where you (or your child, or your friend) were sent
Specific disciplinary techniques used
Reasons for being sent away
What the staff was like
How the experience affected you (or your child, or your friend)
Approximate relapse rate
Legal actions taken against the institution (if there ever were any)
We are also looking for writing on people's experiences with with various forms of treatment, traditional and alternative These are only guidelines. You may tell your story in words, pictures, or any form of communication that will bring your experience to life.
PLEASE SEND US YOUR WRITING AND ART BY MARCH 15th 2005, and keep it under three pages. Thank you.

Contact Nick at [email protected] and Sarah at mailto:[email protected]

Or write to

Nick & Sarah
3706 72nd Street # 5H
Jackson Heights, New York 11372

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Second Nature Wilderness Program torture
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 08:05:10 AM »
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08713t.pdf

we are using the term residential program to refer to those private entities across the country and abroad that call themselves wilderness therapy programs, therapeutic boarding schools, academies, behavioral modification facilities, ranches, and boot camps, among other names.
 Private residential programs typically market their services to the parents of troubled teenagers—boys and girls with a variety of addiction, behavioral, and emotional problems—and provide a range of services, including drug and alcohol treatment, confidence building, and psychological counseling for illnesses such as depression and attention deficit disorder.

Many cite positive outcomes associated with specific types of residential programs. However, in our previous testimony, we identified thousands of allegations of abuse, some of which resulted in death, at residential programs across the country and in American-owned and American-operated facilities abroad. We also examined 10 closed civil or criminal cases where a teenager died while enrolled in a private program and found significant evidence of ineffective management in most of the 10 cases, with program leaders neglecting the needs of program participants and staff. This ineffective management compounded the negative consequences of (and sometimes directly resulted in) the hiring of untrained staff; a lack of adequate nourishment for enrolled children; and reckless or negligent operating practices, including a lack of adequate equipment.

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 08:19:16 AM »

Your welcome, my son really liked it and would like to become a counselor some day which has motivated him to study harder.

Apparently this post has raised some controversy so I thought I would explain vs just deleting it.  This was originally a "guest" post and not intended to communicate that I had a son in wilderness which I did not.  If you read the OP this woman was being bashed pretty hard for telling her story and people on fornits were calling her son gay and pretending to be in wilderness with her son.  I posted as a "guest" in support of her story hoping it would help balance the scales a bit which as I read back now I think it did.  Since I feel it was a good deed I would like to keep this post in tact.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:28:30 PM by Whooter »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 09:52:01 AM »
Your welcome, my son really liked it and would like to become a counselor some day which has motivated him to study harder.

Another fake parent who is posting on this website.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Face it.....you got busted buddy boy.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"

I don't see how admitting his son loved second Nature is getting busted Anne.  his son loved the wilderness and wants to become a counselor now.  I think it's great.  You can't fault a great parent that used all his resources to send three of his kids to two programs each, Anne.  His son clearly thanks him for sending him away and sees the value in it.  Whooter is just a dad whose proud of his son's wilderness success.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »

I admit that, Anne, but read through the thread and see what they did to this woman "worried Anne" and calling her son gay and pretending to be survivors with her son.  
I dont see it as being wrong at all.  I feel sorry for the woman.  I would probably do it again if the situation warranted.

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 02:31:50 PM »
I still don't get it.  Because some extemists here made lude comments about some lady you posted your son's success story?  Why not just be proud of your son and tell your story anyway?  It doesn't matter now anyway, you admit your son was at Wilderness and that he did great and that's all that matters.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »

I admit that, Anne, but read through the thread and see what they did to this woman "worried Anne" and calling her son gay and pretending to be survivors with her son.  
I dont see it as being wrong at all.  I feel sorry for the woman.  I would probably do it again if the situation warranted.

Whheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:rofl:  :rofl:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
Quote from: "SUCK_IT"
I still don't get it.  Because some extemists here made lude comments about some lady you posted your son's success story?  Why not just be proud of your son and tell your story anyway?  It doesn't matter now anyway, you admit your son was at Wilderness and that he did great and that's all that matters.

I don't either.  If he just wanted to come to her defense, he'd have just posted the "truth" about his "daughter".  He got busted. Again.  :deal:

Poor Whooter's having a rough day today.  :beat:

:rofl:

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »

I don't either.  If he just wanted to come to her defense, he'd have just posted the "truth" about his "daughter".  He got busted. Again.  :deal:

What do you mean again, Anne.  As far as I can see this is the first time Whooter lied about having a son in a program.  He was always honest with me and Danny about it.  It's the daughter part I can't figure out.  Are you suggesting he's lying about other things too?  I don't believe it not for a minute.
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »

What do you mean again, Anne.  As far as I can see this is the first time Whooter lied about having a son in a program.  He was always honest with me and Danny about it.  It's the daughter part I can't figure out.  Are you suggesting he's lying about other things too?  I don't believe it not for a minute.

Ok, I really don't care.

Offline SUCK_IT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2010, 02:59:38 PM »
I'm just asking Anne.  Did Whooter lie about other things too or just the whole son/son/daughter thing?  To me it looks like he had two sons and a daughter all in programs, even though he never mentioned the daughter to me before only the sons.  Do you have evidence to show he's lying about more than just the kids he had in programs?
I\'m baaaack...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2010, 03:14:45 PM »

Ok, I really don't care.

We should let him figure it out on his own.