Author Topic: My son at Aspen Ranch  (Read 69114 times)

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
Re: My son at Aspen Ranch
« Reply #510 on: December 11, 2009, 11:43:57 PM »
Hi again,

Sorry to interupt all the other "interesting" topics on this forum, but, thought I would let you know how things are going and also ask for advice.

My son just made the next level (Greenhorn).  That means we are going skiing for 4 days over Christmas---needless to say, we are all excited.

I am in the process of not only figuring out when to bring him home, but also setting things up at home so he has the best chance for success.  I am talking to his therapists(here at home) and asking for advice from whoever wants to chime in.  If anyone has any advice on things I should do (both before he comes home as well as when he does come home), I am listening.  Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
Nigel, you can probably expect that at some point your son will show signs of PTSD, from his time in program. When that happens it would be good if you have read up on that.
 It would be excellent if you didn’t respond to any of the symptoms of his PTSD as cause for sending him away to be “fixed” again. I suggest this time you try to find ways that don’t involve hiring quacks to treat your son as if he is the problem. Try to find out as much as you can about how loved ones can aid in the problems of dealing with PTSD in an active and supportive way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 11, 2009, 11:58:53 PM »
In b4 ski lift "accident"

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 12, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
Quote from: "Guest"

Now, this is the kind of advice I am looking for.  I will make sure to not ride the lifts with my son, but instead I will send him up with some "hot" Utah girls.  Thanks "Guest."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 12, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »
Quote from: "NIGEL"
Quote from: "Guest"

Now, this is the kind of advice I am looking for.  I will make sure to not ride the lifts with my son, but instead I will send him up with some "hot" Utah girls.  Thanks "Guest."
The veil slips.Is Nigel breaking character?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 28, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »
I just got back from visiting with my son for 4 days.  I picked him up at Aspen Ranch on Wednesday at 6:40 am and drove through a pretty heavy snowstorm to eventually end up at Sundance Ski Resort.  We skied for three days (one of those days at Park City where we met another student and his father).  All in all a great trip.  We had a lot of time to talk (both about the present and the future).  He appears to be heading in the right direction.  As stated before, I am in the process of setting things up to bring him home (he desperately wants to come home).  I told him about this website and he wants to contribute to it when he comes home.  I will update again when plans are a little more set.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Nigel

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
Quote from: "Nigel (on vacation)"
I just got back from visiting with my son for 4 days.  I picked him up at Aspen Ranch on Wednesday at 6:40 am and drove through a pretty heavy snowstorm to eventually end up at Sundance Ski Resort.  We skied for three days (one of those days at Park City where we met another student and his father).  All in all a great trip.  We had a lot of time to talk (both about the present and the future).  He appears to be heading in the right direction.  As stated before, I am in the process of setting things up to bring him home (he desperately wants to come home).  I told him about this website and he wants to contribute to it when he comes home.  I will update again when plans are a little more set.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Nigel

Great news Nigel, thanks for keeping us updated.  I look forward to hearing how his stay went from his perspective.  I am sure there will be many questions for him.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 29, 2009, 04:35:50 AM »
Last two posts are incredibly obvious samefag. Yeah, he really isn't trying anymore.

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
Quick update (in case anyone is interested).  We are bringing our son home in the next 2 or 3 weeks. The time isn't set because he is still finishing up a credit in one of his classes and he needs to complete it in order to have a better transition into his new school (our public high school).  His therapist and his teachers have all been very helpful in this process.  I will report back when we bring him home.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 08, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »
So your handlers told you to finally wrap this up as it wasn't going anywhere. We understand.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
Quick update (in case anyone is interested).  We are bringing our son home in the next 2 or 3 weeks. The time isn't set because he is still finishing up a credit in one of his classes and he needs to complete it in order to have a better transition into his new school (our public high school).  His therapist and his teachers have all been very helpful in this process.  I will report back when we bring him home.

Great news Nigel, thanks for the update.  Your son must be happy.  I hope you continue to provide updates here after he arrives home.  It would be great to hear from him and get his perspective on his time at Aspen Ranch also.

Offline AuntieEm2

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »
I wish you and your son luck. Earning one last credit took my niece about 10 months--the program was that incompetent at working with her to complete a 5-page paper. She was an A and B student when attending school at home.  What a fabulous edjamacation she got at that thar school, ain't it?

Oh, and let's not forget those 10 months cost her parents more than $69,000.

Auntie Em
Tough love is a hate group.
"I have sworn...eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
The time isn't set...
Famous last words... Keep up the communiqués with and pressure on Aspen Ranch, Nigel! Else they may find some "reason," as AuntieEm2 intimates, to drag it out even longer.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
The time isn't set...
Famous last words... Keep up the communiqués with and pressure on Aspen Ranch, Nigel! Else they may find some "reason," as AuntieEm2 intimates, to drag it out even longer.

First of all, my son and I are the ones setting the time that I will pick him up.  He didn't do much school work when he was first sent to the Aspen Ranch, but he has really been working hard the last 3 or 4 months.  I am in contact with my son, his academic advisor, and all of his teachers.  My son knows what he has to do, and he is working his butt off to get it done.  The reason I am waiting for him to finish this last unit is so that when he starts up at his new school, he receives credit for all he has done.  His teacher has said that he is working hard and that he will finish up in the next two weeks.  My son has decided to do extra work over the weekend in hopes that he can finish up even sooner (his teacher supports this).  I should know more when I check in again on Monday.

Offline NIGEL

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
Quote from: "Whooter"

Great news Nigel, thanks for the update.  Your son must be happy.  I hope you continue to provide updates here after he arrives home.  It would be great to hear from him and get his perspective on his time at Aspen Ranch also.

Thanks Whooter.  I will continue to post updates after he gets home.  Whether or not he posts is completely up to him.  I have told him about this site and how I have been using it to make sure I hear both sides.  He seemed somewhat interested.