Author Topic: What Bullies know about Bullying  (Read 12539 times)

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: New Leadership Charter School (Springfield, MA)
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 02:34:23 AM »
Two entries from the current Hyde-Bronx Leadership Charter School Administrative Team page:

-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Joanne Goubourn, Head of School
A graduate of Hyde School in Bath, Maine, Joanne Goubourn began her distinguished career in education in 1988 with the primary goal of "changing American education." No small task—but she has been accomplishing this by starting up four successful inner city schools, including the Hyde Leadership Charter School in the Bronx. Joanne and her schools have been featured in the Washington Post, Good Morning America, and the Keith Faison Show, as well as other publications and television shows.

A native of Lowell, MA, Joanne graduated from Hyde School in 1975. She received a BA in Liberal Arts/Urban Studies from Wellesley College, an MA in Human Resource Development from American International College, and she is a Doctorate of Education candidate in Educational Administration and Policy at Howard University.

She is the former head of the Hyde Leadership Public Charter School in Washington, DC, the model for Hyde-Bronx. Prior to leading a Hyde school, she was an integral part of the leadership team on three school start-up operations, one public magnet school and 2 charter schools. She was the Director of the New Leadership Charter School, Springfield, Massachusetts. Her understanding of the Hyde philosophy, school administration and school governance combined with her experience serving a similar population to the one Hyde-Bronx serves, places her exceptionally well to serve as Head of School.

She is currently serving with the Association of Supervisors of Curriculum and Development. She was an advocate for children in the court system (CASA) and member of the National Black Child Development Institute. The mother of two children, Kevin and Lauren, Joanne is a two-year resident of the Bronx, NY.

Pierre Goubourn, Director, Admissions & Community Outreach
Pierre Goubourn, Director of Admissions and Community Outreach, has been involved with community work for more than 30 years. Born in Panama, Mr. Goubourn moved with his family to Brooklyn, NY, in 1962, and graduated from high school there in 1968. He spent 10 years with the US Navy, earning his BA from Southern Connecticut State University in 1978. Mr. Goubourn, fluent in five languages, worked for United Illuminated from 1970 to 1998. He joined the faculty of the New Leadership Charter School in Springfield, MA, in 2000. In 2003 he joined the senior management team at the Hyde Leadership Charter School in Washington, DC. There, in addition to being Director of Facilities and a Spanish teacher, Mr. Goubourn again worked tirelessly with families in the inner city community. In 2006, Mr. Goubourn joined Hyde Leadership Charter School.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Re: New Leadership Charter School (Springfield, MA)
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
Eventually, however, things did not work out for Hyde at the Springfield, Massachusetts public charter. Hyde School likes to have a lot of control over its charter schools. They don't just start them and enable the community to run them; they like to have a critical percentage of their "own people" in place to ensure that it stays "fully Hyde-ified," as they put it...

Since the Springfield New Leadership Charter School did not bother changing its name, and still appears to have the same goals and marketing style that all the other Hyde School public charters have, I'd say chances are pretty good that the dogmatic "ethics" curriculum and "character culture" are functioning right in line with the other Hyde public charters, just not under the Gauld family's thumb.

From James Traub's 2005 article "The Moral Imperative" (Education Next):

Joe Gauld, a prophet and evangelizer in the great New England tradition, has always believed that the Hyde model is destined to replace what he sees as a dead-end academic-achievement model. So far, however, Hyde's efforts at self-replication, which Gauld has headed, have been rocky. In the early 1990s, the Hyde team tried and failed to open schools in nearby Gardiner; in Springfield, Massachusetts; and in Baltimore. In several cases, say the Gaulds, they were blocked by hostile teacher unions, since they demanded the right to hire their own faculty. Hyde now enrolls about 1,400 students at its four schools. The New Haven school is widely considered successful, but the Hyde content has drained out of it almost altogether. Only in D.C. can one test whether the Hyde model can be applied to a public school rather than to a private residential one and to a school that serves disadvantaged kids rather than financially privileged ones. Most of the seven hundred or so children who attend this K–12 institution located in a tough neighborhood in Northeast Washington enter scoring well below their grade level in reading and math; the school is overwhelmingly black and largely poor or working-class. Joanne Goubourn, the headmistress, said that she had had to scuttle certain aspects of Brother's Keeper for fear of ensuing "fights out in the street." She notes that parental involvement is much less than it is at Bath (though still significant by the standards of urban public schools). Goubourn feels that it may take another five years before the school is fully Hyde-ified.[/list]

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    New Leadership Charter School: Springfield vs. Hyde-Bronx
    « Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 02:55:41 PM »
    Compare the language:

From the Springfield New Leadership Charter School Administrative Team page:
    Excellence Lives Here!

New Leadership Charter School is a community of caring, talented and dedicated teachers and staff, eager to serve our students and their families.

From the start we have worked hard to build a true partnership with our parents, together helping students go after their best
    . New Leadership parents and guardians consistently step up to meet the high expectations required of them, We strive to make New Leadership a school that can provide a top-notch, rigorous academic program and, utilizing the New Leadership character culture, meet the emotional needs of all students, parents, and staff—a school that will thrive, making decisions based on what is best for the students and not for the adults.

From the Hyde-Bronx New Leadership Charter School Administrative Team page:
    Excellence Lives Here!

Hyde-Bronx is a community of caring, talented and dedicated teachers and staff, eager to serve our students and their families.

"From the start we have worked hard to build a true partnership with our parents, together helping students go after their best. Hyde-Bronx parents and guardians consistently step up to meet the high expectations required of them," says Joanne Goubourn, Head of School. "Personally, this school represents the realization of a dream for me. My dream has been a school that can provide a top-notch, rigorous academic program and, utilizing the Hyde character culture, meet the emotional needs of all students, parents, and staff—a school that will thrive, making decisions based on what is best for the students and not for the adults."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    Re: What Bullies know about Bullying
    « Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 03:45:20 PM »
    They have taken the pebble out of the masters hand.  When you are not selling anything tangible there is no need for a middle man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »
    Quote from: "grasshopper"
    They have taken the pebble out of the masters hand.  When you are not selling anything tangible there is no need for a middle man.

"intangible"....................... as in: completely lacking in substance or relevance?

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:57 AM »
    Quote from: "RX"
    Quote from: "grasshopper"

"intangible"....................... as in: completely lacking in substance or relevance?

I figured it was something you couldnt touch with the tip of your penis.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Springfield boy, 11, commits suicide
    « Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
    Back to more tangible matters... that is, the suicide that occurred earlier this year, amongst the student population of Springfield's New Leadership Charter School:

The Republican
    Springfield boy, 11, commits suicide
    By Michael Brault
    April 07, 2009, 11:50PM
    By PAT JOHNSON [email protected]

SPRINGFIELD - An 11-year-old boy committed suicide Monday by hanging himself at his aunt's house on Northampton Avenue, police said.

The boy, whose name was not released, was found by a relative. He was pronounced dead at the scene, said Springfield Police Sgt. John M. Delaney, aide to Commissioner William J. Fitchet.

Police investigated and determined it to be a suicide, Delaney said. The boy left behind a note for family members, he said.

© 2009 MassLive.com LLC.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »
    bullies get a free ticket at Hyde

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »
    and what about those two grad suicides this year?

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
      • View Profile
    BOUNDLESS HUMAN STUPIDITY
    « Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 01:57:57 PM »
    b&
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:02:35 AM by try another castle »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Re: BOUNDLESS HUMAN STUPIDITY
    « Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
    Quote from: "try another castle"
    You know what? Bullies in high school are nothing.

For the past several months, I have been dealing with one of the worst bullies in the free world... fucking Sallie Mae.

I am a responsible borrower. I pay my payments, in full, on time, every single fucking goddamn cocksucking motherfucking month. My parents have co-signed on two of these loans, and I always keep them in the loop about what is happening.

These stupid sallie maefuck-nutted piece of rancid shit nimrods keep fucking this up by disbursing them to the wrong loans (which are in deferment.) They keep calling me, harassing me, telling me the loans I made a payment for are delinquent, and every time those fuckers call, I get a superfuckingvisor on the phone to correct the problem. What do I hear? "This will be fixed. Your account should be current in a few days." But noooo. Those bitches sill call me. Every time.. oh we're sorry. We're not sure why it didnt go through. It's fixed now. The last time I spoke with them, I really, honestly was stupid enough to believe that they fixed this problem.

I just got an email from my mother, saying that sallie mae just called her and informed her that the payment for september was not made (uh, yes it was, it's just that you mongoloids cant seem to fix it) and they bullied her into making a payment on her credit card.

I am so angry right now I am shaking. I'm ready to fucking throw up. I'm ready to break into their offices and skull fuck their database. (which is the culprit. the drones are only doing what the computer is telling them to do.) AND NOBODY CAN FIX THE FUCKING SYSTEM!!

It's like that goddamn movie CUBE. Anyone seen it? People get poured into this giant cube, filled with traps to kill them. Why? Who the fuck knows? "There is no conspiracy. Nobody is in charge. It's a headless blunder operating under the illusion of a master plan.  This is an accident, a forgotten, perpetual public works project. You think anybody wants to ask questions? All they want is a clear conscience and a fat paycheck."

I'm sure at some point, SOMEBODY knew how this system worked, and they built it that way for a reason, but they're loooong gone now. All that's left are the worker whores doing their fucking job and doing whatever the fucking computer screen is telling them to do.

This  isn't just fucking up my credit. It's fucking up my parents. Hey, welcome to the good ol USA, where you get ass-raped for being responsible, and there's nothing you can fucking do about it.

I'D RATHER GET PUNCHED IT THE FACE.  ::unhappy::
    Jeeezzz... Is anyone actually reading this thread?   :beat:

"You know what? Bullies in high school are nothing."

...Umm, yeah, r-i-g-h-t... At least ya made it to adulthood, Castle.

Sirdeaner Walker might not so easily agree with you. Her 11-year old son hanged himself with an extension cord following months of bully abuse at the New Leadership Charter School in Springfield, Massachusetts. Despite repeated communications from his mother, the school apparently did nothing more than force Carl Walker to eat lunch with the allegedly most vocal bully.

What was the point of that move, eh?

Well, the Springfield New Leadership Charter School believes in cultivating a character culture, specifically one enacted and enforced by one's peers. And that fine "positive peer culture" was installed, as it turns out, by none other than Hyde School, who actually founded and ran the place for at least three years.

No surprise to some readers, I guess... Kindness and tolerance for other peoples' differences are seen as weaknesses by Hyde. They seem to hold those particular virtues with great disdain.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
    Quote from: "guestPEW"

@ bear  no one reads this any more,  

Mr PEW,

Are you saying two Hyde grads  killed them selves this year?  I guess we should take them off the mailing list.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 06:40:51 PM »
    Quote from: "guestPEW"
    Quote from: "Henry Milton Freedman"
    Mr PEW,

Are you saying two Hyde grads  killed them selves this year?  I guess we should take them off the mailing list.
    Since when has death ever stood in the way of Hyde's fund raising? Heck, they probably consider those parents easier marks now that the necessity of certain expenses has been rendered moot.

I'd be willing to bet at least one set of those parents has already received an opportunity to memorialize their loved one in exchange for a substantial contribution.   :D

Oh, and not that it makes any difference in the "preparation for life" scheme of things, but that would be two former students that committed suicide. One actually graduated from Hyde, namely, Frank McGill (RIP 02/15/2009). The other one, Carol Anne Brown also attended Hyde, but finished high school elsewhere (RIP 04/12/2009).

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Select Comments on "Springfield boy, 11, commits suicide"
    « Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 03:02:25 AM »
    Some select Comments on the above article "Springfield boy, 11, commits suicide" (The Republican, April 07, 2009):

Posted by wsjls April 08, 2009, 2:27AM
      just wanted to say what a sad and terrible ordeal this family has to go through,and the pain his little friends are going trhough,my daughter was very close to him and she hasnt, stoped crying and keeps asking me why would he do that,then she said to me that a girl in the school told him the day before he commited suicide that,he was so ugly ,that she was tired of seeing his face,so she was going to lie to the principal and say he hit her,so he can get suspended and he had said he was scared of getting suspended,because he didnt do what the girl was going to acuse him off. THIS IS UNEXCEPTABLE!!!!!! Kids being bullied in school and taunted by other kids and "suposibly" NO ONE, noticed this baby was being teased and bullied,no teachers noticed anything going on with so many kids involved bothering him,the kid was so afraid to reported,he thought he had no otherway out. My consolences goes out to his family and God Bless This sweet angel, that's with him now! my daugter will miss him terribly,she said he was a wonderful friend and a very sweet boy
    Posted by springfieldm April 08, 2009, 10:43AM
      I picked my son up from the school, and he also cried, I told him that you, above all, should love yourself, and that telling on bullying is NOT snitching,....and I am not trying to blame any teachers or administrators at this school, but bullying goes on in that school frequently, and by the same kids...so much for zero tolerance...I had to pull my kid out of another charter school in Springfield for the same reason, bullying, and the assistant principal tried to blame my son because he was not quiet about the bullying, she did not blame the kids actually doing the bullying...that school had a zero tolerance policy also towards violence...what it amounts to is that it is written on paper but never implemented...the main bully person there was female also...I thought she was a relative of the assistant principal the way the woman protected her....
    Posted by vupt April 08, 2009, 11:34AM
      How completely tragic! The family must be suffering immeasurably! What led that poor child to find such a horrible way out of his misery must have been a constant in his life. One time bullying doesn't justify suicide. He must have been incessantly bullied.
      I know teachers feel overwhelmed at times, but not only are you responsible for the education of your students, you are also responsible for their welfare. And that includes both verbal and physical abuse by their fellow classmates. If you, as a teacher, cannot handle all of that, you need help. Don't be afraid to ask for it. It's not a sign of weakness. Life isn't the simple values it used to be 30 years ago. It's way too complicated now, and TEACHERS NEED HELP! Unfortunately, someone had to die to get that realization across!
    Posted by nickson April 08, 2009, 12:33PM
      for the record - this was not his first attempt. The teachers have tried to stop the bullying, it's impossible if parents are in denial and without parent cooperation.

there is s crisis team at the school for the students AND teachers. everyone is absolutely devastated. It is a very small school and everyone is seriously affected.

why is everything always blamed on teachers?!?!?
    Posted by citizenospfd April 08, 2009, 12:46PM
      I am 44 years old and i still remember VERY CLEARLY the bullying I received going to a mostly white jr high and high school. NEVER underestimate the damage bullying causes. It can last a lifetime!!!!
    Posted by brende58 April 08, 2009, 2:30PM
      My heart breaks for the family.Back in the day when I went to school there were playground fights and teachers let us work them out,pulling hair,slapping and name calling for girls and it was 1 on 1.Boys used their fists or took off their belts and again 1 on 1.Now a days it's a free for all,and the schools know about it.If this young person was bullied to this point and nothing was done I hold the school responsable.I'm having a hard time trying to understand this and I'm in my 50's so I don't know the parents are going to explain it their chilren who knew 'em.Lord,please be with them.
    Posted by vupt April 08, 2009, 2:32PM
      nickson: "Everything" is NOT "always blamed on teachers." THIS topic is especially sensitive because 99% of bullying occurs on school campuses. Isn't that where teachers are? If they are not protecting the welfare of children at that time, then who is? Teachers (AND Parents) need to be aware of this and intervene immediately! Not wait, or punish the child (due to some misdirected judgment) that is the victim. Sometimes, something so egregious as this poor child's death, will bring about change. Change in how we react to the feelings of children, a No-Tolerance attitude with bullying, and more help for teachers to perform their daily functions of teaching, monitoring, and intervening when needed in our ever-growing class sizes!
      This child saw no way out of his way of life. Don't get me wrong....the parents need to bear this guilt for the rest of their lives. I hope they're smart enough to nurture any remaining children in the home, because they forever lost their chance with this poor child.
    Posted by pitoybebo April 08, 2009, 2:42PM
      I am a mental health clinician in Springfield and have some clients that are having problems with bullies in school. it is true that teachers do not get involved. some little kids are evil and sneaky, have an image of a saint but control other children with threats of violence and tell those controlled kids to hurt other children. principals and teachers need to be aware that not all children are good innocents kids. staff should take each and every complain at face value and investigate, ask questions to other children and work with the parents to both children the bully and the victim.
    Posted by tranquil April 08, 2009, 3:11PM
      The boy probably most likely suffered from depression and may not have been diagnosed. Unfortunately, these disorders often go unrecognized by families and physicians alike. Over 6% of kids have it. Signs of depression in kids are viewed as mood swings and not acted on. Just seeing a therapist and an anti-depressant probably could have saved him. Early diagnosis and treatment of depressive disorders are critical. I can only imagine what may have been going through his mind. If you picture a dark cloud that never leaves you, fatigue, loss of interest in anything; living day to day seems like an endless sentence. The Budget contributed to a lot of services being cut. Thanks Duval. Depression is treatable if people would seek the help, not be embarrassed, or push it to the side. My condolences to the family.
    Posted by heartsong April 08, 2009, 3:34PM
      Human lives are fragile things. They’re vulnerable to chance and violence, shattered by prejudice and rejection. Yes the event we are remembering this afternoon is of course one where human fragility and expendability became very plain, and was felt deeply and crushingly by those who loved Carl best.

This thought brings us to think about the fragility of our picture of ourselves. We need to be reminded, and sometimes the reminder is very harsh, that our ideals and our achievements in this life are breakable too.

Tek Time wauk good. Yuh may buck yuh toe but hush. Blow pon it an' gwawn. Nuh hate nor hurt nobody.

Good memory of an individual is usually afforded by the quality of life that individual displayed practically as he or she pilgrims earth. A good memory is contingent upon good deeds. It is against this that Solomon wrote, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches."
    Posted by kcim April 08, 2009, 3:54PM
      This is for Twin22. I don't care that you are a teacher. I spoke the truth and I am sure that if my father were alive today he would agree with me. He worked for the School Dept for 20 + years and some of the stuff he saw would make a person head spin, but guess what the teachers were right there to fix the problem.

Now adays the teachers come to work try to teach the kids then go home. My son's teacher when I told her what was going on told him the next time a student is picking on him to tell her right away so that she could "fix the problem". Well whenever he told her he was being picked on she just told him to sit down and DID NOTHING.

Teachers have a responsibility to protect our kids when they are in school. Most of them could care less. So yes I do put the blame on alot of the teachers because they don't care. You can get as mad as you want, but when my son would wake up and beg us not to send him to school, we didn't force him to go because he was histerical and crying like crazy. I wasn't going to put him in that situation. He is a very caring and sensitive child who cares about others and he didn't deserve to be picked on like this little boy did and he felt he had no other choice but to do what he did.

Also, I want to thank spfldcrew for agreeing with me. You are right in saying that teachers turn a blind eye on certain things that are going on. If it is not life threatening then who cares. Picking on or bullying someone is petty to some people but the kids that it is happening to doesn't see it that way.

I think maybe if the school dept would develop training sessions on how to detect when a student is being bullyed or picked on something like this might not ever happen again.
    Posted by beequeen09 April 08, 2009, 6:12PM
      This is just awful. My son was friends with him and he is taking it very hard. I talked to my son and his father did too, in order to help him come to some type of understanding as to what has happened. My son does not know why such a thing has happened to his friend and is totally devastated. I asked my son about whether his friend was being harassed in school or anything but my son said that he did not see any bullying. Unfortunately, my son was not with him all the time so the bullying could have taken place at that time. It is sad that he felt as though he could not tell someone.
      My prayers go out to the family and all his friends. They will all miss him.
    Posted by teishat April 08, 2009, 7:00PM
      well let me say that the nlcs community has been rocked by this tragic loss. all of the details are unclear as to why he decided to take his own life. I work at nlcs in another grade and had the pleasure to run into the young man a time or two. each time i ran into him in the hall way or what not, he appeared to be pretty content and always seemed to be in a good mood. I have talked to his close friends and they all stated that there was no tell tale signs that he was suffering on such a level they all said"he seemed fine yesterday" and that was the day before the tragedy occurred. I wanted to comment to let the city know that as soon as word was confrimed about his passing grief counselors were on staff. Today we have added even more crisis counselors for staff and for students because we need all the help that we can get. A lot of children took his death in many ways. Those who made fun of him admitted to the couselors that they felt as though the death was some how their fault and thats something that we are coping with. Basically I cannot express the sympathy that i have for his mother family and friends and his death has not been taking lightly. I have used this unfortunate incident to remind the older grades that words hirt and that they should remember that they are unaware of what life is like for others out side of school. I told them to be considerate of others feelings because we now have the unfortunate example of how words could lead to death. We are trying to do all we can for the students and staff a like that are suffering and we are even attempting to help his family cope. The whole situation is unfortunate and all of us who are affected just wonder what the heck we could have done to change this horrible event from even being a thought in his mind. I tell my students that even though they are just my students i care for them as whole people and if they ever feel that there is no one to talk to.. I am here. I pray we never have to bare witness to something of this magnitude ever again. It will take a while to return to a sense of normalcy but we are doing all we can for all of those affected...
    Posted by drwynne30 April 08, 2009, 10:47PM
      How about you all stop placing blame and start adressing the problem? I live with someone who was very close to the child and she is devesated, and some of these comments she may take personally. She already feels responsible, and she is not. The truth is, the kind of depression that accompanies this sort of act is above and beyond anyone in a school system. You want better care in schools? Pay more, train better. But let's not place vain. If we want this truly amazing childs death to not be in vain, then I am sure he would agree, we should stop point a finger and start learning, recognizing, and dealing with the issue.

And all you idiots out there that want to blame bullies and teachers, why don't you blame yourselves, because it is people like you, who are so blame-happy, that are unable to realize that placing blame does not solve problems.

I am disgusted with most of the people who commented. Before giving english lessons, learn something about humanity, before placing blame, figure out your part in this. What could -I- have done different.

Society will never improve if we focus more on placing blame than self-improvement. I am embarassed by the comments to this article.
    Posted by tranquil April 08, 2009, 11:12PM
      The blame goes to the school and their failure to act. The boy was harassed for 7 Months. Harrassed! Your child may take some comments personally? Did she take part in it? Is that why you are defending her? I do blame the school, the teachers, and the kids that continued to bully him. The teachers are trained to deal with these issues, you know, all the in-service days. The issue has been there, identified, and NOT acted on. Harassment is against the law. He was bullied to death. The school failed to act on it. So, Drwynne30, you are very defensive of your child and don't want any blame yet you want to blame the "idiots" on this forum. You are sad. What comes around goes around. I hope your daughter realizes what her actions may have led to.
    Posted by erikkahope April 09, 2009, 1:32AM
      i was going online to check the local news and the first artical i see is this one.i am deeply sadened because ms.walker(or as i call her),Deana was my counselor for the homeless progaam i am in shock.My most heartfelt sympathy goes out to Deana.I know that she is an amazing woman who helps so many homeless families get through tough times. i know she was a great mother and it breaks my heart because i know there are no words for the heartache she must be feeling.i just hope that time will heal her heart.i will keep this little boy in my prayers and hope that this help parent realize that bullying is a serious issue and it is up to us as adults to be good role models and teach are kids that bullying is wrong.
    Posted by qwerty7890 April 09, 2009, 7:24AM
      Question: Why are all of the grief counselors at the school where the boy passed away, white? There is a whole team at the school this week, but they are all white. Doesn't this say something about the administration's level of understanding of the students' needs? Children desperately need someone that they can relate to, in this case, and in others.
    Posted by pastoreric April 09, 2009, 11:56AM
      My wife went to Spfld public schools more than twenty years ago and they were horrible then. I can't imagine how bad it is now. We have seen, over and over, the results of bullying. Murders, violent crime and - suicide. If you were never bullied you can never know what these kids go through. I will NEVER regret my decision to homeschool.

This school is a shameful example and (although I am not big on lawsuits) this mother should sue this school. I believe they were criminally neglegent in this case as evidenced by the multitudes of unreturned calls from the mother. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!! These school officials are as complicit in this suicide as are the bullies themselves. Yes,they should be sued, and this poor mother should be awarded extreme punitive damages.

I understand that schools cannot do it all but, their idea of mediation was to make this boy eat lunch with the girl who had threatened him! ARE THEY KIDDING!?!? These are kids,they need to be TAUGHT how to resolve conflict.

Heavenly Father, Please receive this precious child into your everlasting care.I rejoice that he will forever know your endless love and the pain of his life is but a distant memory as he is now with you in eternal glory. Also Father, won't you gather this grieving mother into your loving, merciful arms and gently asuage the deep grief she is feeling. I pray that she will find solace and comfort in your everlasting arms.
      In Jesus' Name...Amen
    Posted by carrollynn April 15, 2009, 2:49PM
      It's time to recognize that this child didn't choose a behavior in order to be bullied to the point of self destruction. Hate is taught, and our society is replete with hate lessons. This child's plea should not be ignored. As adults we must fight for the children. You don't have to look far to witness parents who bully and speak hate. Therefore, we must empower schools to intervene which means they will have to address hateful and non-supportive parents in the process. Such parents can be extremely intimidating, but we must do the right thing. Can you imagine this child's pain to commit suicide at the age of eleven. I also feel for the children that will live with the knowledge that they contributed to his plight. They are victims as well.
    Posted by ptmich May 05, 2009, 11:20PM
      WSJLS:

PLEASE GET YOUR DAUGHTER AND GO TO THE SPRINGFIELD POLICE AND IDENTIFY THE MONSTER THAT SAID THESE CRUEL THINGS TO CARL WALKER HOOVER THE DAY BEFORE HE COMMITTED SUICIDE. THAT LITTLE DISGUSTING MONSTER NEEDS TO BE SEVERELY PUNISHED FOR CAUSING THIS BOY'S SUICIDE. THIS IS DISGUSTING. I AM SO MAD...OH MY GOODNESS, I WISH I WAS THE TEACHER THAT WITNESSED THE RUTHLESS TAUNTING OF THIS BOY...I' M JUST SO MAD THAT I CAN'T EVEN GO ON...I GET ANGRIER AND ANGRIER THINKING ABOUT ALL THIS POOR BOY WENT THRU AND ALL HE WAS TRYING TO DO WAS GO TO SCHOOL. THOSE SELFISH BRATS WERE SO JEALOUS OF HIM. I'T JUST AWFUL, PLAIN AWFUL...I HOPE HIS BULLIES ROT IN HELL!!!!

© 2009 MassLive.com LLC.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
    Mom says Springfield boy... was repeatedly bullied at school
    « Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »
    Yet another school which blames the victim and exonerates the perpetrator:

On Monday, she said Carl told her that he accidentally hit a TV at the school with his backpack and the TV bumped into a girl, who shouted at him and threatened him with harm. He called his mother after school and said he had gotten a five-day suspension, she said.[/list]

School officials told her they had decided that the mediation of Carl's dispute with the female student was to consist of the two students eating lunch together all week, she said.

It belies the school's failure to address suffering wrought by bullying, she said.
        [/list]

The Republican
        Mom says Springfield boy, 11, who committed suicide was repeatedly bullied at school
        By Michael Brault
        April 08, 2009, 9:06PM
        By MIKE PLAISANCE
        and PATRICK JOHNSON

Staff writers

Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, 11, killed himself at his home on Northampton Avenue in Springfield on Monday.

SPRINGFIELD - Two days after the worst day of her life, when she found her 11-year-old son had committed suicide by hanging himself, Sirdeaner L. Walker said on Wednesday she wants the bullying to stop.

She found Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover hanging by an extension cord on the second floor of their 124 Northampton Ave. home Monday night after he had endured another day of taunting at New Leadership Charter School, where he was a sixth-grader, she said.

"I just want to help some other child. I know there are other kids being picked on, and it's day in and day out," said Walker, 43.

VIDEO News coverage: 11-year-old's suicide brings bullying to forefront

She spoke in her living room surrounded by family and friends. They had just returned from a church service.

Photos of a beaming Carl - he played football, basketball and was a Boy Scout - peered from the top of the television.

Walker went upstairs to check on him Monday night.

"It was the worst experience of my life, and I'm a breast cancer survivor. Four years, it was four years ago I had breast cancer," Walker said.

She phoned the school repeatedly since Carl began attending in September but the bullying continued, she said.

Other students made him a target, daily calling him gay, making fun of how he dressed and threatening him, she said.

Carl had attended Alfred M. Glickman Elementary School up to fifth grade, but few of his friends accompanied him to New Leadership Charter School, she said.

VIDEO News coverage: Vigil for Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover

On Monday, she said Carl told her that he accidentally hit a TV at the school with his backpack and the TV bumped into a girl, who shouted at him and threatened him with harm. He called his mother after school and said he had gotten a five-day suspension, she said.

School officials denied the incident had prompted a five-day suspension, said Walker, who nonetheless remains upset at what she said was the school's pattern unresponsiveness.

"I called there every week," she said.

School officials told her they had decided that the mediation of Carl's dispute with the female student was to consist of the two students eating lunch together all week, she said.

It belies the school's failure to address suffering wrought by bullying, she said.

"If anything can come of this, it's that another child doesn't have to suffer like this and there can be some justice for some other child. I don't want any other parent to go through this," she said.

Henry M. Thomas III, chairman of the school's board of directors, failed to return repeated calls seeking comment.

Walker said she was upset with Thomas for failing to return her calls, as well.

The New Leadership Charter School, 180 Ashland Ave., is offering grief counseling to students and staff in light of the death of a six-grader on Monday, according to the school's Web site. Go to spsnlcs.com and click on Login to Homework.

Donations can be made to help the boy's family by contacting the school, the Web site said.

"The NLCS family has suffered a major loss," said the Web site.

Walker works as director homeless programs at the Massachusetts Career Develop Institute here. She will turn 44 on April 23, and she said she and Carl would joke of how their birthdays were so close, as he would have turned 12 on April 17, she said.

According to the National Youth Violence Prevention Center, nearly one in three youth nationwide reported either being bullied, having bullied someone, or have done both.

According to the center, one recent study of grades 6-10, showed as many as 13 percent reported bullying others, and 11 percent said they were victims of bullies.

Victims of bullies become anxious, insecure and cautious, suffer low self-esteem and rarely defend themselves or retaliate. Often they feel isolated and withdrawn.

The most common reason cited by youth for why someone is targeted for bullying is because the person does not fit in.

The Center also notes there can be long-term effects for both the victim and perpetrator of bullying.

Victims as adults suffer from depression and poor self-esteem, while 60 percent of bullies in grades 6-9 had at least one criminal conviction by age 24.

The National School Safety Center defines bullying as physical confrontations and direct threats of violence, but also indirect forms such as rejection and exclusion, humiliation and name calling, manipulating friends, and more recently, hurtful messages sent by e-mail or posted on Web sites.

Mike Plaisance can be reached at [email protected]

© 2009 MassLive.com LLC.