Author Topic: eaglequest nature camp in Utah  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
eaglequest nature camp in Utah
« on: July 26, 2009, 01:50:49 AM »
My nephew is supposed to be going in 2 days. I just found out about this website today. If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please email me at [email protected]

Your help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Susan
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: eaglequest nature camp in Utah
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:14:19 AM »
We would like to help but we have not been able to find a webpage or other kind of link about this place, which is a warning sign on its own.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:25:19 AM »
Quote from: "susanb"
My nephew is supposed to be going in 2 days. I just found out about this website today. If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, please email me at [email protected]

Your help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Susan
Maybe talking to your sibling about your experience of the CEDU program will change their mind about sending your nephew away to eaglequest nature camp in Utah
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
Their website: http://www.eagle-quest.com/

Here's one red flag: Very little staff info given on their website. First names or "Indian names" for line staff; the higher ups are not revealed. You have to send away for the information packet to get that info.

Caring4Youth (which is basically a program and edcon listing service run by a transport company) describes it as being run by several members of the Wardle family:

Eagle Quest
    Post Office Box 96
    Nephi, UT 84648
    USA
Phone:
    866-822-8336
Ages:
    13-17
Description:
    Designed to Guide students through the Process of Self Discovery
Director Name:
    Lee Wardel
Enroll Info:
    Rolling admission's policy and can often times accept an applicant within a 24 hour period
Student Profile:
    Leading Self Destructive Lives. Suffering From Depression. Lacking Motivation. Have Poor Coping Skills. Have Difficulty Making Good Decisions. Struggling to Find Direction. Choosing Poor Relationships.

Can take students on medications with review.
Campus:
    camp, and live in the beautiful and pristine House and Confusion mountain ranges
Length of Stay:
    30 days to 90 days
Staff:
    Lee Wardle, Executive Director. Mark Wardle, Program Director. Alberta Wardle, Dietician. Gary L. Anderson, Licensed Clinical Therapist. Dr. Grant Rasmussen, Physician. Debra Burr, CNA, EMT-I.
Tuition/Costs:
    $335.00 per day
Specialties:
    All participants must have a physical examination prior to enrolling in our program. If you are unable to obtain a physical examination prior to enrolling in our 30 or 60 day therapeutic program we will arrange for you to have a complete physical examination by a local physician.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 02:40:30 AM »
Thank you very much. Now we are going somewhere.

The photo on the adult program was something I have seen before. An old version of the website belonging to the Distant Drums program had the same photo. Lee Wardel was/is also connected to this program as he was/is with the Reality Trek program

More important he is believed to be a relative of Mark Wardle, who is named in relationship with the death of Ian August. The program was name Skyline Journey at the time. We have a datasheet on our Wiki.

We need to digg further into this matter.

As for the family name something is odd.

At My troubled teen his name is spelled Lee Wardel.
At Struggling teen an older spelling is Lee Wardle.

A little name-change to cover up the past?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Eagle Quest; Nephi, Utah
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
As for the family name something is odd.

At My troubled teen his name is spelled Lee Wardel.
At Struggling teen an older spelling is Lee Wardle.

A little name-change to cover up the past?
My guess is that is simply a typo. But... who knows?! :D

Here is what is currently on their Home Page. They offer a variety of programs of differing lengths (officially 14-90 days), although my guess is the majority of their business derives from the pre-program wilderness softening-up portion of a "troubled youth's journey" into the hell of an American adolescence.

Bold emphasis as per the original.

—•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•— —•?|•?•0•?•|?•—

The Eagle Quest Outdoor Youth Development Program

Welcome to Eagle-Quest.com (EQ) the most complete Outdoor Therapeutic Residential Youth Development Program. This unique budget conscious program offers 30-45 and 60-90 day outdoor experiences for adolescents between the ages of 13 through 17, who are struggling to find direction in their lives. Due to the over-whelming success of Eagle Quest, a separate and very effective young adult program for 18 to 25 year olds is offered as well. And, when appropriate or necessary we provide a 14-30 day timeout intervention and assessment program for various ages.

EAGLE QUEST (EQ) provides all participants with an emotional growth curriculum, therapeutic services including group and individual counseling, substance abuse education, academic school work, a life skills course, and tools and skills for coping with the difficult issues in their lifes. EAGLE QUEST is unique in the complete, holistic, and individual approach taken. As each Student learns to adapt to the environment, skillfully trained therapists and counselors lead the Student to understand how to effectively control their lives in both an outdoor setting and in society as well.

Many Parents take advantage of this unique low cost Youth Development Program as a great way to determine the best options for additional treatment for their Teen or Young Adult. Eagle Quest uses its extensive knowledge and experience to provide the following services:  

- Short Term Intervention & Assessment as a healthy and effective "timeout"  while a longer term plan is determined.

- A 30 to 45 Day Impact Program as a launch point into a longer term program (Residential Treatment, Therapeutic or Regular Boarding School). The EQ Team works with Parents and Professionals to develop this option.

- A complete and effective 60 to 90 Day Youth Development Program with an effective transition home.

Eagle Quest prides itself in being able to meet the needs of young people that are struggling and who are often times feeling helpless and powerless to make significant life changes. The power of the Eaqle Quest Program is constantly demonstrated by the ability to help struggling young people that refuse to see or admit that change is needed until they are removed from their home enviroment and they are able to reflect and realize the destructive and dangerous choices they were making. It is the Eagle Quest mission to help participants discover their strengths and gain confidence needed to lead healthy, harmonious, and productive lives. Through a powerful Value Based approach Students learn (re-learn) the strength of Character they can have within themselves through proper application of these important Core Values.

Eagle Quest is dedicated to helping each Student successfully overcome harmful and self destructive attitudes and actions and to assist in the transition home or to the appropriate continuum of care and eventually return home to families and communities with a strength of character they will use to attain the success in life that they desire and deserve.

We invite you to view our website & video and contact us if you would like further information on the life changing and life long positive effects the EQ outdoor experience can have on a Teen and Young Adult.

EAGLE QUEST is a powerful outdoor experience that your Child will cherish and remember forever. In fact, it is such a powerful experience that ANY young person (Teen or Young Adult) that has the opportunity to attend Eaqle Quest is truly fortunate, regardless of the reason. The experience is not only life changing, but is a valuable hand up in life. We are honored with your interest and look forward to working with you to help your Child.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
Mark Wardle's connection to Ian August's death
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:42:22 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar"
The photo on the adult program was something I have seen before. An old version of the website belonging to the Distant Drums program had the same photo. Lee Wardel was/is also connected to this program as he was/is with the Reality Trek program

More important he is believed to be a relative of Mark Wardle, who is named in relationship with the death of Ian August. The program was name Skyline Journey at the time. We have a datasheet on our Wiki.

Well, now... no wonder they keep their names OUT of Google's reach!

Here is a summary of Ian August's death, posted online at wasatchwatcher.com in October 2007, originally taken from an article in the Salt Lake Tribune (publication date unknown but probably shortly before wasatchwatcher's post; SLT article appears to be no longer available):

Ian August, 14, of Texas, died July 13, 2002. August was enrolled in Skyline Journey of Nephi. He was on a hike about 70 miles west of Delta when he could not hike any farther. He died of hyperthermia. Program supervisor Mark Wardle and counselor Leigh Hale were charged with child abuse homicide. The charges against Hale were dropped after she testified for prosecutors, and a judge found there was not enough evidence against Wardle to take the case to trial. The state has filed to remove Skyline Journey's license, and an administrative judge is set to hear the case Aug. 18. The program is still in operation.[/list]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »
    I am so happy I found this website. I knew the best and accurate information would come from here. Thanks for your suggestions and your help with the Eagle Quest information for my nephew. I am passing it all on to my sister.

Susan