Author Topic: Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?
« on: April 29, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »
Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?  How would/could it be done safely, humanely and effectively?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
Re: Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »
By educating the parents so they act as junior staff.

U-turn in Copenhagen uses this approach. It's cheap. They can treat 50 times the number of client with this approach compared to in-patient treatment.

It is a public program and it makes it safer than private programs because tax-payers wants result. It is a free program.

Please notice that their goal is to either reduce OR stop the drug use. There are two success criterias.

In fact an article explain that youth often turns to the program voluntary because they want to reduce their drug use but ends up quitting because they find the control over their own life positive.

Junior staff is often the weakest link in a program. They have no real insight and are often taking it to keep staff of their back and work the program. By having the parents as junior staff you get really motivated people and parents find that the fact that they suddenly should listen as staff would do makes them understand the person, they believed they knew, way better.

It is the safest program I have seen.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Yes- give him more drugs!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:46:45 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"

Idiot.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:12:10 AM »
By drawing one very strict, but reasonable boundary.

"Do what you want, but stay the fuck out of my stash."

Cmon OP, do you honestly think that you would get a serious answer from anyone on this forum regarding drug use? I'm sure Dr. Fucktard will agree that we are all no-good druggies ourselves.

Pull up a blue chair.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:33 AM »
Cmon OP, do you honestly think that you would get a serious answer from anyone on this forum regarding drug use? I'm sure Dr. Fucktard will agree that we are all no-good druggies ourselves.

Pull up a blue chair.[/quote]

Well, alot of people here know how not to treat a kid using drugs, I thought there would be some insight on doing it the "right" way.  Too bad you think of yourself as "no good" when you probably have the best understanding of how to do it right.  Maybe there won't be serious answers, but I hope there will be.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
I actually have no problem going on record to say that I would most likely be a horrible parent. However, I consider myself a pretty awesome Cat Daddy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
:rasta:   :rofl:

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"

Idiot.
Moron.

Offline Botched Programming

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:16:49 AM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

I like that suggestion. Keep it under lock and key. That way if you don't supply it to them they won't do it as much.

:seg:

If that does not work, our good friend Dr. Fuctard will be more than glad to accomidate him at S.I.B.S. The only drawback is he may have to stay at Gary The Gorillas host home when he first gets there.

Now have a seat...... Love ya

Botched
:peace:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 04:28:55 PM »
Churchill once said, when asked how to give advice to his grown kids, "Find out what they intend to do and then advise them to do it."

There are a couple of things that are essential to helping a kid on drugs that our society has got dead wrong.

First, 15 - 21 year old people are not really children. They're very young adults. Call them teenagers or kids or whatever, but they are not mentally or emotionally children. Though they don't have everything figured out just yet, it's not only unwise but usually ineffective to try and force them to do something they don't want to do or to prevent them from doing something they want to do.

Second, not all drug use is a problem. Even when it is a problem, the user has to be the one who sees it as such and wants to improve things; either to quit, switch to something more effective or get control of their use. You can't force anybody to do this, it's got to be their own idea. If the kid isn't inclined to seek help then the best thing you can probably do is to leave it alone so that it doesn't become a point of contention.

Above poster is right, in my opinion. Education is the best way to deal with most problems. But it's got to be accurate information. Avoid any publications by Miller Newton, endorsed by Partnership for a Drug Free America or Oprah and, especially, anything endorsed by AA, NA or other stepcraft organizations. Try Vaults of Erowid or your friendly neighborhood pharmacist for accurate information.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Deprogrammed

• View Profile
    • http://www.pathwayfamilycenter.fornits.com
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »
Quote from: "try another castle"

Pull up a blue chair.

My serious offering is this: Be there for them. Simply be there for them.

This is something that should be developed at an early age(meaning being there for your child).
Actually listen to them , and actually hear what they feel, and what they express to you, and then acknowledge it. This is necessary on a regular basis for good and happy child develeopment anyway. If a child is experimenting then they need a sounding board. Ask yourself this: Would I rather be my child's sounding board or would I rather their local drug dealer be that sounding board for them?

sincerely,
-DP
"So, you can make me cum ...that doesn\'t make you, Jesus"....Tori Amos copyright
Read about Pathway Family Centers here.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:33:36 PM »
Is there a way to truly help a kid on drugs?  How would/could it be done safely, humanely and effectively?

Make sure they are using the best quality drugs possible.  No schwag or street shit for Daddy's little princess. Get them a prescription for medical marijuana as a birthday present at a young enough age that they will already be acquainted with drug use by the time they start to get pressured by their peers into using drugs.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »
Well, alot of people here know how not to treat a kid using drugs, I thought there would be some insight on doing it the "right" way.  Too bad you think of yourself as "no good" when you probably have the best understanding of how to do it right.  Maybe there won't be serious answers, but I hope there will be.

Ok.  Serious answer, if you're really after that.  Check out Stanton Peele's suggestions/books on addiction treatment (he strongly recommends against residential treatment and suggests many practical alternative approaches).

http://www.peele.net/lib/panic.html

But above all, remember that any treatment should always be voluntary for at least two reasons: 1. it's unethical otherwise 2. it just plain does not work.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 11:23:18 PM »
I tend to believe that a real drug problem or serious addiction is hard for a human under the age of 18 to even have reached.

I do believe that there are serious dangers that come along with the use of hard street drugs, and I can understand a parent being fearful of them. However the best thing a parent can do to help their child through the teenage years is develop a relationship of trust, educate them about the reality of drugs and other risky behaviors and how they can effect the child's future.

You can't force a teen into "treatment" and call that help, you have to develop trust with them from an early age so that if they do get into these things they will trust your advice as help. If you just punish them and yell at them and shun them from your family that will only make them run to drugs more.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]