Author Topic: Autistics at Hyde School  (Read 6431 times)

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
Re: Autistics at Hyde School
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
In my opinion the best thing for an autistic child is to be with other children who are “not” autistic.  What typically sets autistic children apart from other kids is an impaired social interaction and being with just other autistic kids I don’t think would help them much.  Kids respond very well to modeling and one on one couching.

But being placed in the behavior modification models which we see in these programs wouldn't work because autistic children seem to respond better to a softer approach.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Joel

Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
Edited: Wednesday, October 06, 2010
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:15:20 AM by Joel »

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Quote from: "Joel"
Quote from: "Whooter"
I am not a professional in the area but there is no way I could see a traditional program helping a child with autism or aspergers.  These children need specialized treatment and BMod designed specifically for their conditions.  Many are very fragile and frightened to begin with (socially) that without the proper training the program could crush them.

From what I know local services have been very successful with autistic children if they are diagnosed early enough.  I am curious to know how and how many of these children are placed.  Does Hyde advertise for autistic children?
I agree with "there is no way I could see a traditional program helping a child with autism or aspergers."  Programs would need to hire or contract with medical professionals who specialize in treating aspergers.  This would increase tuition rates which many parents could not afford.
Oddly enough, at least one Hyde parent -- known only as "Mystery Guest" in this radio program -- appears to think Hyde helps with her son's developmental and/or behavioral issues, presumably related to ASD. It is actually unclear to me exactly what he has; perhaps I need to hear it through again. Although this is a show about autism, the mother mentions "gifted," bipolar," and depression." She also expresses some frustration with the verity of these diagnoses; it could be that she suspects Aspergers judging by other statements she makes. At any rate, she's done a real bang-up job promoting the old hellhole.

Interestingly enough, it sounds like she'll be able to get the local PS system to pay for part of this kid's Hyde School "education." This is unlike another not dissimilar case mentioned elsewhere on this forum from a few years ago. I suspect degree of cooperation with the local school system prior to the Hyde adventure impacts how these efforts go.

Worthy of note in all this, of course, is that the jury's still out on how this ultimately turns out. The kid was still at Hyde when this clip aired; this may even have been his first year, from the sound of it. I'd sure like to hear how this kid himself feels about his "preparation for life" ... once he's been out for ten years or so.

:clown:

Click on "Show 47" to hear mp3. Mystery guest makes her appearance a little past ~25% (a lot of commercials in the very beginning). Color emphasis as per original:

-------------- • -------------- • -------------- • --------------

TAO Emergency Management Consulting
Show 47 · 3-20-09 · Autism

Notes from the Hot Zone
Get Ready
Protective 72 Hour Survival Kit
MYSTERY GUEST ABOUT SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN AND SCHOOLS
Something Good
Pathfinder Profiles- Elayne Pearson
What's Up Doc

©2007 TAO Emergency Management Consulting
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline confrontinghyde

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:56 AM »
We all clearly know how to use the internet, and are capable of doing our own google searches. What the hell is up with these long winded copy and paste posts? This is discussion forum not a "look what I googled" forum.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
Quote from: "confrontinghyde"
We all clearly know how to use the internet, and are capable of doing our own google searches. What the hell is up with these long winded copy and paste posts? This is discussion forum not a "look what I googled" forum.
Because -- more often than not -- it disappears after a time. And when you want to later quote from it, or refer to it, it is no longer available. Proof or example of point you are trying to make ... is gone.

You can always chose not to read any posts you find so offensively "long-winded," eh?  :D

Offline confrontinghyde

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2010, 12:46:52 AM »
If the national autism association goes *poof* anytime soon, I will eat my words. Until then, if you need something to google, try "how to paraphrase"

Offline kirstin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
Ursus modus operandi is to copy and paste.  Ask the instructors at the therapeutic boarding school he was enrolled in and you'll see why he got high marks.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 01:19:40 AM »
Quote from: "kirstin"
Ursus modus operandi is to copy and paste.  Ask the instructors at the therapeutic boarding school he was enrolled in and you'll see why he got high marks.
Well now, Kirstin, this would the forum for that, in case that needs clarification.  :seg:

As to high marks, you are graded more on your "attitude" than you are on your "aptitude" at Hyde, so I guess I was outta luck in that department, eh?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 01:30:03 AM »
Quote from: "confrontinghyde"
If the national autism association goes *poof* anytime soon, I will eat my words. Until then, if you need something to google, try "how to paraphrase"
Well... ya might have to eat your words. I don't think the National Autism Association has been quoted in this thread. The only thing close might be Joel's post above, quoting from NIH, and if that is the post you find so offensive, I'm not sure why you're taking it out on me.

The only web pages I've copied from are small company websites and ancient articles. Those are the kind of things that often do change and/or become unavailable as time goes on. Can't say that I am always so select, but in this particular thread it appears that I have been.