Author Topic: Autistics at Hyde School  (Read 6423 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Autistics at Hyde School
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:42:39 PM »
Malcolm Gauld's blog:
I do know that more than three decades of working with kids have assembled a mega-collage of memories that are stored away in my mind like a bureau drawer overstuffed with yet-to-be-catalogued piles of snapshots and video shorts. There are two that will stay with me when I think of Frank McGill.

First is the "big brother" role he played with my daughter Scout, currently a Hyde junior. For over a decade, she and her sister Mahalia '09 have played that same role for their younger brother Harrison. The truth is that Harrison's autism has demanded and continues to demand a great deal of Scout's care and attention. All the way through middle school Scout gave so much to her brother but never had someone who could play big brother to her. Frank was that person for Scout during her freshman year.

Are the Gaulds planning on enrolling Harrison at Hyde School?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: Autistics at Hyde School
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »
Quote from: "Guest"
Malcolm Gauld's blog:
I do know that more than three decades of working with kids have assembled a mega-collage of memories that are stored away in my mind like a bureau drawer overstuffed with yet-to-be-catalogued piles of snapshots and video shorts. There are two that will stay with me when I think of Frank McGill.

First is the "big brother" role he played with my daughter Scout, currently a Hyde junior. For over a decade, she and her sister Mahalia '09 have played that same role for their younger brother Harrison. The truth is that Harrison's autism has demanded and continues to demand a great deal of Scout's care and attention. All the way through middle school Scout gave so much to her brother but never had someone who could play big brother to her. Frank was that person for Scout during her freshman year.

Are the Gaulds planning on enrolling Harrison at Hyde School?

Back in the day, Joe used to scream at kids with various levels of difficulties and tell them that their illness  was choice, they needed to choose. So why doesn't Grandpa scream at Harrison. Tell him to choose not to be Autistic.  When he is unable to change Grandpa can make Mom and Dad to toss him out on the street.

Of course I am in jest, but I just wish that some day before he dies Joe would realize just how many kids he did that to and get down on his knees and beg God for forgiveness.  Then I want God to appear and tell Joe that Character is Destiny and that he is bound for Hell.

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:07:30 PM »
Quote from: "modest proposal"
Back in the day, Joe used to scream at kids with various levels of difficulties and tell them that their illness  was choice, they needed to choose. So why doesn't Grandpa scream at Harrison. Tell him to choose not to be Autistic.  When he is unable to change Grandpa can make Mom and Dad to toss him out on the street.

Of course I am in jest, but I just wish that some day before he dies Joe would realize just how many kids he did that to and get down on his knees and beg God for forgiveness.  Then I want God to appear and tell Joe that Character is Destiny and that he is bound for Hell.

It is easy to see -- in extreme cases like those dealing with kids who have bona fide learning disabilities -- how atavistic and backward the "Hyde School difference" actually is. What kind of an "education" did those kids get, that was functionally any different than what they might have received in the 1930's? Actually... they might have been better off back then.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »
atavistic

That is a good word for it.  I think the construct of Hyde as social system was set up as a structure to rationalize Joe's atavistic tendencies.  Some wag once said that police become police to legitimize thier own antisocial behaviour.  Could you imagine Joe's behaviour in a setting where he had peers?  Ranting and spitting students and backhanding little girls?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »
that should be "rantinf and spitting at students

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 01:54:01 AM »
Now, if those students spit back at Joe, they could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon (dispensing of and forced exposure to bodily fluids).
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:16:33 PM »
Harrison isnt autistic he just chooses to act that way because he's spoiled by his parents and grand parents. Or maybe he's that way because Joe tried to give him a character education at an early age. Dont shake the baby Joe. Malcom is a horrible parent as well did any one see when harrison flipped a shit at shaws because he couldnt get a gumball way to teach your kids appropriate behavior there dad.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU ANGRY YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 01:20:47 AM »
Quote from: "hahaeatshit"
Harrison isnt autistic he just chooses to act that way because he's spoiled by his parents and grand parents. Or maybe he's that way because Joe tried to give him a character education at an early age. Dont shake the baby Joe. Malcom is a horrible parent as well did any one see when harrison flipped a shit at shaws because he couldnt get a gumball way to teach your kids appropriate behavior there dad.

These family dynamics are simply fascinating. Did Grampa Joey's temper get passed on, but skip a generation?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 06:06:32 AM »
Quote from: "Supermarket cashier"

These family dynamics are simply fascinating. Did Grampa Joey's temper get passed on, but skip a generation?

I have a vision. Harrison as Joey II.  He will have a revelation that will transform him.

You know where to put the cork.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:22:24 AM »

did Joe shake the baby? maybe Joe SPIT on the baby!  :eek:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Harrison isnt autistic he just chooses to act that way because he's spoiled

maybe he's a "high-functioning" autistic?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
there have been high function autistics at Hyde before.  how come the gaulds dont enroll Harrison?  sounds like double standard to me!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26:17 AM »
Quote from: "aspies for justice"
there have been high function autistics at Hyde before.  how come the gaulds dont enroll Harrison?  sounds like double standard to me!
They enrolled their two daughters. Which is really funny because both of them were the biggest sluts on campus. Cum dumpsters for real. Just ask Brian Thompson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
Quote from: "Hydemom"
When confronting Malcolm by phone and asking how he would like it if it had happened to his daughter, his response was, "my daughter could handle it."

(Hydemom was upset that Hyde would not remove a faculty member who had sexually fondled her daughter several times.)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
Larry Dubinsky liked touching girls! Many girls!