Author Topic: Darrington Academy Closed!  (Read 9869 times)

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
Re: Darrington Academy Closed!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 01:40:31 AM »
Dead raped, or in jail.  That's a new twist. Maybe programs *are* changing.. lols.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline firstresponder

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 02:18:42 AM »
BY BRIAN K. FINNICUM, EDITOR Monday, March 2, 2009 4:01 PM CST Darrington Academy, a private school for troubled teens in Blue Ridge, closed its doors Friday, a move that owner and headmaster Richard Darrington says is due to the current state of the economy.

Darrington said the income from the number of parents who could pay the school’s tuition no longer covered the school’s fixed costs. He said enrollment at the school had declined from 180 students two years ago to fewer than 90 now, and “at that point it became no longer possible to keep the doors open and the kids safe.”

The closing comes as a joint investigation of certain activities at the school is under way by the Fannin County Department of Family and Children Services, the Fannin County Sheriff’s Department and state regulatory officials.

Sheriff’s Department Investigator Diane Davis said the investigation has been under way for approximately three weeks, and was launched when she was contacted by DFCS officials in reference to reports they had received.

As part of that investigation, a search warrant was served on the school Feb. 13 where video surveillance cameras, computers and numerous files were confiscated.

Davis also said that as part of the investigation approximately 120 interviews were conducted of students and school staff with the assistance of DFCS investigators from surrounding counties.

Davis declined to release any particulars of the investigation as it is still in progress.

Although Darrington said the school’s closure was unrelated to the investigation, he said that the school had stopped accepting new enrollments after the investigation was launched, “exacerbating an already existing financial situation.

“We’re cooperating fully,” Darrington said of the investigation.

“I just want to see it resolved as soon as possible,” Darrington said.

http://http://www.thenewsobserver.com/articles/2009/03/03/news/news02.txt
trained to save you ass not kiss it.

Offline psy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://homepage.mac.com/psyborgue/
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:22:25 AM »
120 interviews + video... nice.
Benchmark Young Adult School - bad place [archive.org link]
Sue Scheff Truth - Blog on Sue Scheff
"Our services are free; we do not make a profit. Parents of troubled teens ourselves, PURE strives to create a safe haven of truth and reality." - Sue Scheff - August 13th, 2007 (fukkin surreal)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
Quote from: "psy"
120 interviews + video... nice.

oh my god. lets see some jail time for those bastards

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Quote from: "here"
brainwashing and abuse... bullshit...if brainwashing means me changing into a better and more confident and caring for myself then i would be so, but in what a way is that a horrid thing. A lot of people never get the chance to grow like we were given the opportunity to do, i literally would have been fucked up on some street corner or raped in jail or most off DEAD without ever seeing how mcuh ive been worth in the life of mine and my families.

@here, if you're still reading this thread:

Yowsah! Would it mean anything to you if someone told you that this "recent grad" speech has been repeated ad infinitum, and subsequently and conveniently forgotten and/or retracted 5-10 years later, by countless others before you?

WHY, just why, might one think, does this "truth" not survive the passage of time?
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline FemanonFatal2.0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:29:37 AM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Quote from: "here"
brainwashing and abuse... bullshit...if brainwashing means me changing into a better and more confident and caring for myself then i would be so, but in what a way is that a horrid thing. A lot of people never get the chance to grow like we were given the opportunity to do, i literally would have been fucked up on some street corner or raped in jail or most off DEAD without ever seeing how mcuh ive been worth in the life of mine and my families.

@here, if you're still reading this thread:

Yowsah! Would it mean anything to you if someone told you that this "recent grad" speech has been repeated ad infinitum, and subsequently and conveniently forgotten and/or retracted 5-10 years later, by countless others before you?

WHY, just why, might one think, does this "truth" not survive the passage of time?

or in other words.... Kid, you will have many more years ahead of you, and in those years you may start to see that whole experience a little differently. You may be happy to be brainwashed as long as it had some kind of pay off for you in the program, but just wait until you realize the world isn't really like that and people need to learn to think for themselves in an adult world.

Here's the main problem with the "ends justifies the means" argument or in other words "the program saved my life" that we have heard over and over. You people think that just because we have a problem with the way the program operated means we aren't in support of giving a teen the education they need to make a change in their lives. Personally I believe that teens can still be offered that chance, but there needs to be BIG CHANGES in these programs (or preferably a whole different kind of program) to make sure that the human rights and welfare of the children in these facilities are protected. The one thing that really breaks my heart is when Programmies (brainwashed ex students and parents) are willing to blindly ignore tell tale signs of abuse and oppression just because they have been told that's the kind of treatment they need to change their life. Whats sad is that this is completely untrue, these are just the things the program will convince you of, and its appalling that these kids come to believe they deserve that kind of treatment. I tend to believe if there were better public schooling out there people would have more options and these programs wouldn't be able to get away with this kind of mind fuckery. but that is neither here nor there.

Lets get down to facts here, Don't you think it was odd that you were not allowed to speak to your parents for months, until both you and they finished a seminar? Are you aware that having your personal mail intercepted is illegal? Don't you think its a violation of child protection laws that there were no phones available to reach the police or child protective services in a necessary situation? Don't you think that restraining and isolating a kid (usually for days) as punishment for not "following directions" is unnecessary and constitutes physical abuse?

If you can answer yes to any of these questions then you will see that we aren't really on different sides of this issue, only difference is we are fighting for YOUR rights, and the protection of kids in these schools, and you are still too sentimental about the warm and fuzzy changes you made to admit the system that was in place was completely illegal... We aren't trying to stop kids from changing their unhealthy habits, we just think these programs are committing crimes while they hide behind a seemingly noble purpose. Since most of us have experienced abuse at the hands of even the same people who are running these facilities today (Dace Goulding ring any bells) you should understand why we are compelled to demand change in this industry. We are just trying to do what we can to make sure that no more kids will suffer through the same experience. So go ahead and tell us about the great experience you had at Darrington but keep in mind, if we weren't here throwing a fit for the last 10 years, believe me kid, life in the program would have been A LOT worse. You can just thank us for forcing them to mind their P's and Q's, although by the looks of the pending investigation, they haven't done all too well.
[size=150]When Injustice Becomes Law
...Rebellion Becomes Duty...[/size]

[size=150]WHEN THE RAPTURE COMES
CAN I HAVE YOUR FLAT SCREEN?[/size]

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
The final word on Darrington Academy (Closed 2009)
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:58 PM »

Quote from: the one Daytona Beach, FL
This is crazy after all this time this blog is still running. Since its about me ill thread some info.

I was the one who ran away that day and when the police found me the next day i was brought back, Richard Darrington then knocked my front tooth out by body slamming me, luckily mr gagne and a police officer took me to the dentist, After the dentist I was given an option, go to jail for attacking Darrington or come back to the academy, I chose jail. At 17 years old with no prior record I was sent to county jail for a lied statement saying I attacked Darrington. I got out a week later, went back to school, played ball, lived my life. I was sent there because my mom and I weren't getting along. 6 months later Thomas was fired and then wrote a statement about the assault on me and the truth of that day. A warrant was secured and during that they found abuse and video cameras. Richard Darrington was charged with assault in my matter and other charges were filed as well. The state can not find Thomas to testify so they will not be trying Mr. Darrington in court.

Its a closed chapter, people told me I would be there till 18, I even went on a 9day hunger strike to make a phone call to my father. After that is when I escaped. The day I was assaulted did change the outcome of many events. Its just the way and the way is what makes us the people we our today. Im actually glad Richard will not be tried. The school is closed down and I've been told he will never work for a school or kids again. He wasn't a good man but maybe he is now, I say that because lying to police and having a 17yr old kid with no record sent to a adult jail in blue ridge georgia is crazy. I haven't asked for money or even filed a lawsuit like I saw in a post.

Its just over, done, next chapter. Im 23 years old now and seeing this I smile a little bit thinking about the irony. I'll always remember the look on his face when I began bleeding everywhere and my tooth was on the ground. He was scared. It didn't help me screaming ''Im going to make you famous cocksucker'' either. In the end, its a famous story, it's the story of a school that changed the course of many peoples lives closing down. Its all the closure thats needed.

Offline Che Gookin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:18 PM »
I guess Rich Darrington ended up the little cocksucker.