Author Topic: Voluntary Madness-Norah Vincent  (Read 2536 times)

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Voluntary Madness-Norah Vincent
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:19:56 PM »
Last night i went to the bookstore and walked over to the "New Hardcover Bestsellers" table and found a book entitled Voluntary Madness: My Year Lost and Found in the Loony Bin by Norah Vincent. I have read many books like this and immediately checked it out, and bought it. She wrote another book entitled, Self Made Man, which was fantastic. Her research is always incredible. I have not read the book I bought last night, but it looks very good. She checks into three different clinics over the period of a year, and she does it with no fore drawn conclusions. Each is very different in the socioeconomic classes it treats, and the type of treatments used. The book looks fascinating after what I have been through in my life. I will post more as I read the book. Prior to this I read Girl, Interrupted, The Looney Bin Trip, and of course One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Frankly, I did not care for Girl, Interrupted, and found the other two to be dead on accurate.

Originally,  I went to the bookstore to pick up the book, Cults in our Midst after a possible encounter that psy saved me from. I was looking at moving into Hive College in Denver, but then I read the first and second paragraph of this page:http://http://www.hivecollege.com/curriculum/ Needless to say, I immediately chatted with psy, and he told to stay away from it. I asked more question and he said it was time for me to go pick up a copy of Cults in our Midst. I checked my local bookstore and for once, they actually had it. Now here is where coincidence really played a part.

I did also finally bought the most recent copy of Cults in our Midst. My quest to find a new place to live continues, and I am staying away from Hive College in Denver. Any place that mandates learning, Gordon Training International, and acting in the manner they teach me, is too much akin to Timberlawn, PDAP, and all the other programs out there. As the saying goes, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." I try to stay informed and up to date. I thank Psy for getting back to me, otherwise I might have been headed for a cult in Denver. I would have lasted 3 days maximum before being thrown out for telling someone to "F*#k Off"!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline iamartsy

• View Profile
Re: Voluntary Madness-Norah Vincent
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »
So far I am liking this book. It is interesting as was her other book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »