Author Topic: DAYTOP Did Me Great Harm in the Long Run  (Read 140853 times)

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
Re: DAYTOP Did Me Great Harm in the Long Run
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
:rose:
Lux vivens - Jocelyn Montgomery (with David Lynch), Music of Hildegard von Bingen. Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179) was a German abbess, author, linguist, naturalist, scientist, philosopher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icNd55pMCwE
Best with eyes closed^
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 12, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »
What a nice song, Inclulcated; a very pretty song it is indeed.  Truly beautiful.  Thanks for introducing us to the works of Hildegard von Bingen; I'd never heard the name before.  Here's the English translation of the hymn you brought out.

Viridissima Virga  

O viridissima virga, ave,  
que in ventoso flabro sciscitationis  
sanctorum prodisti.  
Cum venit tempus  
quod tu florusti in ramis tuis,  
ave, ave fuit tibi,  
quia calor solis in te sudavit  
sicut odor balsami.  
Nam in te flourit pulcher flos  
qui odorem dedit  
omnibus aromatibus  
que arida erant.  
Et illa apparuerunt omnia  
in viriditate plena.  

Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179)

Viridissima Virga

Hail to you, verdant rod  
that burst forth in the rush of the wind  
out of sacred prayers.  
When your time had come  
to blossom on all your branches  
the word rang out:  
Hail to you,  
Hail to you  
The sun`s warmth trickled into you  
like the fragrance of balsam.

And now an offering from me:

Pierre Abélard (1079–1142) was a medieval French scholastic philosopher, theologian and preeminent logician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXhvkSN_E_0&NR=1

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
prescribed a healthy Dose of reality? Hell, even moderation is better had in moderate quantities.
This news journal is really incisive

New Pain-Inducing Advil Created For People Who Just Want To Feel Something, Anything
NOVEMBER 21, 2008 | ISSUE 44•47

PHILADELPHIA—Wyeth Pharmaceuticals unveiled a new pain-causing line of Advil this week that will help millions of benumbed, hollow consumers to feel at least somewhat alive for up to four hours.

An ad for the new temporarily-life-affirming product.
"Advil Release delivers a soothing burst of pain when cold and listless Americans need it most," Wyeth CEO Bernard J. Poussot said during a press conference Monday. "Just two capsules can deliver all-day relief in the form of searing, life-affirming agony; the kind of agony Advil users trust when being a pale specter of humanity adrift in a meaningless and uncaring universe is just not an option anymore."
According to Poussot, the new drug works by delivering a powerful stimulant straight to the brain's pain center, causing an intense stinging sensation all over the body. If taken regularly, the deadening futility of day-to-day life will be temporarily washed away in a flood of blessed and cleansing torment.
"Two fast-acting, long-lasting Advil Release taken three times a day are recommended for anyone who is convinced he or she will never laugh or cry again," Poussot said. "Teenagers who see no difference between being dead or alive, nor why it makes a difference either way, may require twice the suggested dosage."
Continued Poussot, "Those wishing to never again suffer through another numb, flat day devoid of even the basic components of humanness are advised to take an entire bottle of Advil Release along with a quart of gin."
A nationwide advertising campaign for the new medication is slated to begin next week. In the first of two 30-second TV spots, a woman is shown walking outside on a winter's day and coming upon a puppy that has frozen to death. As she stares unblinkingly at the small, frail carcass, a disembodied announcer tells viewers: "Don't spend another day unable to shed a single tear for the eternal tragedy that is existence. Embrace the pain. Advil pain. It's the only thing that's real."
Public reaction to the new medication has been generally positive. Millions of emotionally dulled people across the nation have scrambled for the opportunity, any opportunity, to temporarily escape from mechanically lurching through unfeeling day after unfeeling day after unfeeling day after unfeeling day.
"This new Advil has really—oh, God, the sublime suffering," said 27-year-old copy center employee Nathan Tillson of Roanoke, VA, tears welling up in his eyes. "Sweet Jesus, I haven't closed off. I can still feel."
"Gah," Tillson added before doubling over on the floor and openly sobbing for the first time in as long as he could remember.
Other pharmaceutical companies have also begun marketing their own brands of over- the-counter medications that will help the emotionally anesthetized feel briefly alive. The makers of NyQuil are reportedly developing a new product they describe as "the nighttime sniffling, sneezing, aching, screaming, crying, writhing, so you can possibly—for the love of God—experience some sense of normalcy medicine," and Johnson & Johnson recently released a new line of Tylenol Maximum Suffering, the active ingredient of which is thumbtacks
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free”  Nikos Kazantzakis

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »
Quote from: "SEKTO"
The Daytop Philosophy, recited like a prayer or mantra every morning before Morning Meeting, programmed us to be group-dependent, taught us groupthink  right away.  Here it is:

I am here because there is no refuge.
                                          Finally, from myself.
                                          Until I confront myself in the eyes
                                          and hearts of others, I am running.
                                          Until I suffer them to share my secrets,
                                          I have no safety from them.
                                         Afraid to be known, I can know
                                          neither myself nor any other, I will be alone.
Where else but in our common ground,
can I find such a mirror?
Here, together, I can at last appear
clearly to myself not as the giant
of my dreams nor the dwarf of my fears,
but as a person, part of a whole,
with my share in its purpose.
In this ground, I can take root and grow,
Not alone anymore as in death,
But alive to myself and to others.

Among the following are what were called the “unwritten philosophies”
Unwritten was meant to denote that these aphorisms were spoken as common sense.
At Millbrook they were branded into separate plaques.
The task of polishing them was considered by all as a relatively light LE.

Daytopian philosophies:

1.   You can’t keep it unless you give it away
2.   You alone can do it, but you can’t do it alone
3.   Honesty
4.   Trust in your environment
5.   What goes around comes around
6.   No free lunch
7.   To understand rather than be understood
8.   Personal growth before vested status
9.   Humility
10.   ACT as if
11.   Be careful what you ask for you just might get it

These (additions/retractions?) I found among the others. Curiously, I don't remember any emphasis on these.
They didn't even have plaques for them. They are as follows:

To be aware is to be alive
Responsible love and concern
Forgiveness
Pride in quality              
Compensation is valid
...hmmm, Intriguer, non?

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 25, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
All that happened there was that they assaulted my very Self and dismantled my personality, they taught me that something was wrong with me and that DAYTOP could "fix" me, I actually believed it, I personalized and internalized all of that crap for years, and in the process my very soul was disfigured.  

DAYTOP set me up for a lot of very odd and self-destructive behavior later on in life, and I think of that organization as a quasi-religion.

It's not a treatment program, it's a thought reform environment, a mind-control center.  It's very a dangerous program and nothing somebody's kid should be subjected to.

Presently, I am still in the process of both grieving what was taken from me in DAYTOP, and purging myself of what was instilled in me there.

Remember that scene in Misery where the crazy woman broke the guy's feet with the sledgehammer so that he could not leave her house; she had him imprisoned and he would have to do what she wanted him to do?  

That's kind of what DAYTOP did to me, mentally.  The whole thing was a surgery that they fucked up, and I (we) left the place "hobbled."

They stunted my emotional growth me with sort of the psychological equivalent of the breaking of one of my legs, only they never reset it (me) properly, and I have been in immersive therapy for the last eleven months relearning how to "walk."

DAYTOP had the single most negative influence upon me of anything I have been through, in my entire life.  I experience a range of emotions when thinking about it, from extreme anger to despondency, but right now I am just rather numb.  

DAYTOP did me great harm in the long run.  I did not belong there, and it was probably the very WORST place for a kid like me (non-NT) to have been put into.  They did me far more harm than good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVqIcB3ZxzI

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 26, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
A dawning moment of insight wakes, while turning pages...

Thought Reform and the Psychology of Totalism
By Robert Jay Lifton, M.D.
Loading the Language“The language of the totalist environment is characterized by the thought-terminating cliché. The most far-reaching and complex of human problems are compressed into brief, highly reductive, definitive-sounding phrases, easily memorized and easily expressed. These become the start and finish of any ideological analysis.
The loading is much more extreme in ideological totalism, however, since the jargon expresses the claimed certitudes of the sacred science. Also involved is an underlying assumption that language - like all other human products - can be owned and operated by the Movement. No compunctions are felt about manipulating or loading it in any fashion; the only consideration is its usefulness to the cause.
For an individual person, the effect of the language of ideological totalism can be summed up in one word: constriction. He is, so to speak, linguistically deprived; and since language is so central to all human experience, his capacities for thinking and feeling are immensely narrowed. This is what Hu meant when he said, "using the same pattern of words for so long…you feel chained." Actually, not everyone exposed feels chained, but in effect everyone is profoundly confined by these verbal fetters.”

Hmmm...So, it was lingo used in session that reminded me of Daytopia that led me to seek understanding of why I had such a visceral reaction to those words…angry after all this time. In a later session,I attempted to describe my experience of Daytop. I was frustrated by the fact that I could not seem to communicate this without choking out a lot of the lingo. I actually put a hand to my mouth and said “I can’t make you understand. I don’t know how to say it without using their words, so I’m just not going to say anything.”

The philosophies that were branded in to separate plaques were also branded in to what thinking we were permitted at the time:
"To understand rather than be understood"They didn't really respond to pointed questions with anything but blunted answers.
“You can’t keep it unless you give it away” was the emphasis added to status members who were being given a “dressing down” for "not working their program"( yep, they actually phrased it just so) by showing enough punitive love to their peers with “pull ups”.
"Be your brother’s keeper, but keep no secrets here", was the topic called of a particularly scathing house meeting.
“Trust in your environment” "Wearing this sign will help the family to recognize what you most need help with and open you to feedback".(involved a lot of shouting)“Be careful what you ask for you just might get it.”The circular logic had its intended effect of causing dizziness."What goes around comes around"

When all else fails “Act as if”.
My “belly is flipping”.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 28, 2009, 03:10:59 AM »
“It’s a battle of philosophies really”, summed up Monsignor William O’Brien, cofounder and president of Daytop Village. “The current way is to impose control from outside the person by putting him or her into a cell. The Daytop way… is to intervene…by changing destructive life patterns, building in self-discipline and boundaries with the help of a therapeutic community.”
Build the prison within them. Let their peers be their jury. Obtain from them confessions under duress. Teach them to carry their own prosecutor and judge in their rehabilitated minds…Yeah, they’ll walk the line. :flame:

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 05, 2009, 12:16:46 AM »
God didn't condemn Rahab for hiding the spies and lying to the Jericho officials.  The little hand that in that velvet glove weaves the web, and you can learn to deal with spiders.  There's a way, Inculcated, and I would like to bring you to it.  I have found found my one true family.  Let me lead you there.  Suffer the little children...

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2009, 12:47:27 AM »
Hmm…SEKTO, I’m as concerned as I am intrigued.

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 05, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Are you ready to be instructed in the practice of a mystical sound vibration, an advanced mantra, that will cleanse the dust from the mirror of your mind and awaken you to your orignal transcendental consciousness?

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 05, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »
Hi SEKTO. I'm wary, but I'll bite.

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 05, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
Hmmm... SEKTO?

Offline SEKTO

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 05, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »
Despite of all the prejudgments about the Pastafarian movement, it is beyond doubt that this trancendental sound is a very potent way to get spiritual relief in this age of Kali-Yuga.  The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster indicates that sound is a very suitable medium to use for spriritual progress.  It has been here from the beginning of time and will last into eternity.  We live in the age of false leadership, quarrel and hypocrisy.   So there is a lot of pollution in our times, not only environmental pollution but also spiritual, mental and emotional pollution as well.  Reciting or singing this mantra cleanses the dust of the mirror of one's mind, so that it can reflect again our true inner spark of Pastafarian divinity.  The meaning of this mantra is: O All Atractive Pasta, please by your loving energy make me surrender unto You.  Please let your voice, mind and spirit flow with this zesty, tomato-based sound vibration, which is best experienced with an accompaniment of salad and garlic bread.

On top of spagetti all covered with cheese I found my new dogma till somebody sneezed...

Please chant and be happy!

HARE PASTA
HARE PASTA
PASTA PASTA
HARE HARE

HARE SAUCE-A
HARE SAUCE-A
SAUCE-A SAUCE-A
HARE HARE

Jaya Jah Pastafari!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:24:22 PM by SEKTO »

Offline Inculcated

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 05, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
WTF? Damn, Have you been eating roots and herbs, again?